Skiing

Jack Frost

I'm trying to decide to go skiing on Sunday to Le Massif in Charlevoix region of Quebec (about an hour northeast of Quebec City) but the problem is...

It's gonna be a very cold day. The village next to the mountain is going to be about -23C (high)/-27C (low) (-9F/-16F). So I expect the top of the mountain to be reaching up to -30C (-22F). I don't even want to mention the wind chill...which could be up to -42C (-45F) for just a 15mph wind that they're predicting.

So maybe I should skip that week and go to Vermont on Feb. 2nd instead when it's a little warmer.

What do you think? Of course, maybe the weather is a little far off to predict accurately, but usually it's just a few degrees off in either way.

And to make this thread more relevant...

Do you like skiing? :P

• Site Administrator

I love skiing, but it's an expensive sport (at least here in Australia). We took the boys skiing for the first time last winter, and they loved it :) We can't afford to go again this year, but maybe the year after.

However, I wouldn't want to ski in the weather you mentioned -- way too cold. I'm a warm weather skier (relatively speaking). It's not often below 0C during the day in the Australian ski fields.

Do you like skiing? :P

I do like skiing, The 3 times I went skiing, I loved it. The first two times I went skiing was at st-Bruno. It's a small mountain less then 15 mins away from me, but apparently they got the best ski school around. the first time I was 8 and it was with my best friend. On the second time I was 17, and the first trail I made, I kinda, lost control of my speed, 0:) the bottom line is that my sister made me take some time with a dreamy instructor, :P

The last time it was in switzerland, and i'll say it's a very big difference between skiing on a little hill (like st-bruno, lol) compared to real mountain.

On average, I've went skiing every 5 -10 years, so I rekon that I'm set for the next few years. LOL, But I do like to ski

Skiing is crap! Strap on a snowboard and get your ass to that mountain! As long as you have no skin exposed to the air you should be fine. I've snowboarded with the temperature in the teens (Fahrenheit), not counting the wind chill, and was absolutely fine even with my face completely exposed. Once you get moving down the slopes your body will naturally warm up as it moves inside of your thermals.

Edited by rknapp

Skiing is crap! Strap on a snowboard and get your ass to that mountain! As long as you have no skin exposed to the air you should be fine. I've snowboarded with the temperature in the teens (Fahrenheit), not counting the wind chill, and was absolutely fine even with my face completely exposed. Once you get moving down the slopes your body will naturally warm up as it moves inside of your thermals.

I kinda ski. I have snowblades, which are even more fun! :D

Go Jack, freeze your buns off and have a great time.

And while your doing that I think Im going to go to the beach and have a nice tan in the hot hot sun =D

<3

I kinda like L0st Cause's idea best. In fact, when you'll be freezing your cute butt :wub: in the mountain skiing in Feb, I'll be under the warm sun. :P

I kinda like L0st Cause's idea best. In fact, when you'll be freezing your cute butt :wub: in the mountain skiing in Feb, I'll be under the warm sun. :P

Hey stop stealing my idea, although the way you put it makes it sound more apealing...

-Mike

Oh man how i hate skiing i fell down so many times once i fell like 100 feet all the way down the mountian. The only part of skiing i like is getting to wear them cute sweaters that grandma made. :) (there so much nicer then the ones everyone else is wearing). And you get to drink hot cocoa with some hot guy by the fireplace. I remember having a hard time getting off the ski lifts. I remember going down the hill waving my poles in the air and screaming at everyone to get out of my way because i didnt know how to ski. LOL I need to get a ski instructor. Or a boyfriend who enjoys to ski and has lots of patience and a life insurance plan. LOL

Hey, I'd go for the trip to Charlevoix for a couple of reasons:

- I think it's the most picturesque part of Quebec!

- The skiing should be good with all the snow we've gotten this winter.

- If it's cold it also means that the lift lines will be short, which means more skiing less standing in line.

- If you don't already have it, go to Mountain Equipment Co-op and stock up on thermals and head into the lodge a little more frequently to get a beverage. Oh yeah, contacts rule on cold days... no frozen or fogging glasses.

- You won't be able to beat the food you can get in Charlevoix!

- You only have to deal with Autoroute 40 and get to avoid any lineups at the border.

Besides, with a name like "Jack Frost", I'd think you'd love the cold! :lol:

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

If anyone still cares. I went there two weekends ago afterall. And it was cold as expected...euh -25C/-10F and you don't even wanna know the windchill. But skiing kept me warm and the sun helped too. However sitting on the lift was always a pain since you'd freeze after sitting for just 10 minutes.

Anyway...some photos of the Charlevoix region of Quebec near Petite-Rivi