We are on track...

• Site Administrator

We are on track to break the 10,000 post barrier this weekend. :great:

We've been slowly building to this point, but we are now averaging around 25 people on the board at any given moment.

So post and have fun :)

And thanks for making Gay Authors a great place to hang out!

Myr

Bah I had written a big old long response and the board had a hiccup, so I'll just boil it down here...

Myr's invested a lot of time and money into making this board a place where people will go not just to read but to communicate as well. 10,000 posts is a sign that communication continues to grow. Reaching 20,000 in half the time as 10k would be an even better sign.

People don't have to post in order for GA to continue, but it certainly helps. The goal isn't to force people into posting though, but rather to provide a place where they feel comfortable posting, or even REALLY want to post!

It's good that we are going to break the 10k barrier, but Myr's original post gave me the impression that he was going for quantity and not quality. Well, that may not have been the case, I'm sure we do want both quality and quantity on the forums.

Perhaps this should really go into a PM (but I'm lazy). When I first found this forum, I thought, "Hey cool, a forum with writers, this should be stimulating". Well, I was in for a let down. Most of the posts were less than cerebral with the predominate type of post being "Yay, new chapter. Awesome. Can't wait for more!". Although there is nothing wrong with those types of posts, I was a bit flabbergasted that this was a forum for authors. The quality of the posts seemed substandard to me coming from a group of authors and author wannabes. I mean, I've read more in-depth discussion about Jennifer Anistan's hair in the Friends forum.

I wanted to "raise the bar" a few notches, if allowed, and to push the boundaries a little bit. After all, these forums are for authors and author wannabes. Hence the Do Over Redux reviews (and I'm sorry if I'm picking on you too much, Dan). What do my reviews do? It allows me to express myself, for one. More importantly though, it gives the writer feedback in a useful form as opposed to just being general encouragement.

Do I expect everyone to write reviews? No. But it would be nice to have a good discussion going on about the stories on the forums and I guess we have got there with Do Over Redux. Hopefully, the other stories would move into that realm if they haven't already done so.

At the end of the day what am I doing? Community building. I get PM'ed whenever Dan posts a new chapter by a number of people, which makes me wonder if they are waiting for my reviews after the chapter. I have had IM discussions about DOR with a number of people on these forums. And I'm enjoying it.

At the end of the day though, I hope the pursuit of quantity will not let the pursuit of quality fall by the wayside. We need both to go hand in hand.

• Site Administrator

Both are required. Some people like to just BS... that's primarily what this forum (General Discussion) is about.

Not only that, but non-cerebral things are just as important as the cerebral ones.