Manga

pitchan

Just in case some people don't know, manga is a graphic novel (best example would be comic book format). You can also answer with, I don't read manga/watch anime at all. Lol.

Main question is obviously for yaoi manga, which is manga with emphasis on gay relationships. And I use yaoi as a general term, for both soft and hardcore themes. I was pretty wary of posing this question here because I kind of expect most people to go "no its way to stereotypical". Heh heh ^^; One of the main reasons why I even started reading stories with gay romance is because of yaoi manga. I became manga fan first, and then graduated to reading online stories as well. I admit, a lot of yaoi manga WAY too stereotypical at times in case of personality of character tying in with what role they take during sex scenes (as in who is top etc.). But there are certain titles I think everyone SHOULD check out wether they be manga fan or not. Oh well waiting for answers xD

My experience with anime can be summed up in Pokemon, Sailor Moon, and a handful of episodes of Neon Evangelion (how ever you spell that!). So, honestly I know nothing about yaoi manga. B)

Ah. Well one of the main reasons I like reading yaoi manga is that I can look at some eye candy as well as reading gay romance :P Though unfortunately, same cannot be said of most yaoi themed anime. Those mostly suck (or have done so, so far). And at least you've watched Neon Genesis Evangelion corvus. Thats a classic. :P

Erm...Here are a few examples of eye candy. Yeah I am a total obsessive fangirl. I can't help but promote a little xD

rulesv1c1004go3.th.pngrulesv2ch102sc4.th.jpg

Both artwork are from my fave mangaka (manga authors) Miyamoto Kano. lol ^^;

I love manga and anime, and Evangelion is one of my favs and there's nothing wrong with Sailor Moon :P

Yaoi is great, I love Gravitation, it's all a read at the moment, I just wish I could find volume 5!!! :D

I do not really know what the difference is between manga and anime. I can say that I happen to be a huge fan of anime, including live action anime. Cutey Honey The Live is awesome. It has peaked my interest in live action anime. I have also seen like the latest cartoon version, Cutey Honey Flash.

I figured Manga had something to do with Italian recipes.

I've watched a few episodes of "Gakuen Heaven," or however it is spelled. I can't say I completely followed it. (Yes, I did read the subtitles.)

@Dalmatia: Ah. Gravitation. My first manga ever. Shindou is a whiny annoying brat, but Yuki is <3. Hmm I no longer have Gravitation scanlated files in my computer, but if your interested in scanlations I know a place where you can get at least 7-9 volumes of Gravitation from the net. That is if you don't prefer paperback. Btw have you read any of the Gravitation Remix doujinshi (doujinshi are fanworks). Just curious. The remix doujins are...scary though xD Are you into any other shounen-ai/yaoi manga?

@Tl: OH live action dorama (drama)! I recently got into the dorama scene, though I haven't seen the one you mentioned. I've only seen the live action versions of Hana Kimi, Gokusen, Hana Yori Dango, Nodame Cantabile, and Densha Otoko. I love live action xD

The difference between manga and anime is manga comes in book format, while anime is animated and comes on the TV. :P There are many series that are in both manga and anime format, though sometimes storylines/plots may differ between the two. Some series begin as a manga and are animated, while some series begin as a anime and are later given manga makeover. It is kind of like Hollywood movies, where popular books are given film adaptations (like Lord of the Rings), or popular films being made into books (one example which immediately comes to mind are the Star Wars books...lol)

@glomph: Lol. Does manga really sound like a Italian word? I didn't think so. And I'm not a huge fan of Gakuen Heaven. Its not the best series to start watching as a introduction to anime in my opinion heh heh ^^;

Edited by pitchan

May I ask a really stupid question?

What's the difference between Anime and Manga?

I mean like generally, I know there are specific themes and types for each like Yaoi, but just real broadly what's the difference between them?

Love Japanese cars and trucks, hate anime/magna. I just don't get it. There are too many cultural references that fly right by me and the voiceovers are so bad you would think they were being done by rabid Ewoks on crack.

I'm not turning japanese anytime soon. I would probably claw my eyes out or chew off a limb to escape if forced to watch a full length feature.

Anime is what you watch and Manga is what you read.

Well now i just feel stupid! :*)

Love Japanese cars and trucks, hate anime/magna. I just don't get it. There are too many cultural references that fly right by me and the voiceovers are so bad you would think they were being done by rabid Ewoks on crack.

I'm not turning japanese anytime soon. I would probably claw my eyes out or chew off a limb to escape if forced to watch a full length feature.

I have watched anime before (and not Manga :P ), and it's really not bad. I mean I think the cheesy voice overs are more or less on purpose and for like a comic book kinda effect (but I'm speculating I have no idea). It isn't something I'd want to watch in either large quantities or frequently, but a little bit every now and then isn't so bad.

I watch a lot of anime, but im afraid the only mangas ive seen were from frequenting yaoi boards like the chans, and they are usually only f**K fests that are ok to look at but reading tends to make it worse. I did like Softpaw though /duck

If you like the cutezy anime I can recommend Ouran High School Host Club, it

I'm normally not a fan of manga (I still get tripped up by the right-to-left layout), but I really loved the Barefoot Gen series. It deals with the aftermath of the Hiroshima bombing from the POV of an 8-year-old boy. Reminded me of the Maus series in the way it showed the atrocities of World War 2 in a cartoony fashion. As for anime, call me a mainstream whore if you want but my favorite anime movies are Cowboy Bebop, Princess Mononoke, and Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. Yes I prefer action to the cutesy stuff most of the time :sword:

@jamessavik and AFriendlyFace: Ah to each their own. I personally can become pretty obsessive about certain anime/manga

@TL: I'm considered a good source for yaoi manga in general for my friends here in India. However if you want recommendations go check this place out...since I've already have a thread there. Ignore the fangirlishness I've indulged in the past. That was like 2 years ago. I start making sense toward the bottom of that page. And I hope linking is allowed ^^;

http://animestan.7.forumer.com/viewtopic.p...384&start=0

*coughs and looks around*

@Umbathri: Lol the chans. Well, that could be a good source for yaoi, but most people surf the chans specifically for explicit images :P And all my male friends HATE Ouran and call it yaoiran, for all that it is shoujo (romance manga targeted at girls) and not even shounen-ai (soft version of gay romance manga). Its a awesome series though.

@Dalmatia: Hah hah the twins. I remember watching 'SOS in the Jungle Pool' and Hikaru/Kaoru mention seme and Haruhi is like: 'Huh seme? What's that?' I started laughing so hard xD

@Azure Dragon: There is nothing wrong with mainstream. I watch mainstream anime all the time (I still have to branch out to mainstream manga though xD). Only mainstream manga I've purposefully followed are D.Gray Man, Hana Kimi, and Genshiken. And Goong if I include Korean man-wha (Korean version of Japanese Manga).

Edited by pitchan

Only mainstream manga I've purposefully followed are D.Gray Man, Hana Kimi, and Genshiken. And Goong if I include Korean man-wha (Korean version of Japanese Manga).

I know, I was just being self-ironic. Oh, and I wouldn't exactly call those titles mainstream lol.

Not quite the same thing, and nothing to do with reading Italian recipes, but I thought My Neighbor Totoro was awesome. I didn't really get into it at first, but stuck with it, and it really won me over along the way.

• 3 weeks later...
Well now i just feel stupid! :*)

I have watched anime before (and not Manga :P ), and it's really not bad. I mean I think the cheesy voice overs are more or less on purpose and for like a comic book kinda effect (but I'm speculating I have no idea). It isn't something I'd want to watch in either large quantities or frequently, but a little bit every now and then isn't so bad.

I read a few magna.

I anime mostly in Japanese then with subtilites, when it's dubed in english, most times the voices are bad, they will cut scenes, for the childen :/

over the years I watched anime, like sailor moon, slayers (my fav), now and then here and there. Princess Mononoke, Gundam Wing, Spiral, Vampire Princess Miyu

• 3 weeks later...

Any Death Note fans around here? I've not seen the manga, but I have watched the first DVD of episodes of the anime. I'm looking forward to watching more soon. They seem to have taken a lot of care with the dubbing.

i love manga too ....Sailor moon , Doraemon , Teppy , Maruko chan , Dagon Ballz ...( almost manga i read ome from Japanese )..ooh ooh my childhood come back to me ....

to Glomph : I known some horror manga from Japanese like : Death Notes , Battle Royale , ...they got the movies from manga too ....I never watch Death Note , but somebody told me the movie so sacriiest ..., i watched Battle Royale few year ago , it was good ( American gonna re-make it !!!!)

Any Death Note fans around here? I've not seen the manga, but I have watched the first DVD of episodes of the anime. I'm looking forward to watching more soon. They seem to have taken a lot of care with the dubbing.

I love Death Note!!!! I

Its weird Ive never seen Death Note, but just the other day watched a killer AMV of it with the Zetsubou Billy song and it so f**king rocks. I need to watch Death Note soon, and Ive been looking into other MTH music. Don

I love anime and manga. Mostly shoujo. I don't really read or watch much shounen-ai/yaoi cause the stories tend to end up sucking. The only exception so far is really the Gravitation manga(not the anime, it's "ending" is beyond awful), which I love.

I loved Death Note until episode 26. After that it turned to crap. So to me, Death Note ends with L.