20/20

jfalkon

I was watching a show called 20/20 tonight. For those not familar with it, it is a weekly show driven by recent events in the news. You can have a look at http://abcnews.go.com/2020

Tonight they tested people's reactions to different situations. They looked at how people would react to gay couples kissing, lost children, and bad singing. I think it gives a good perspective on how Americans react to gay couples. Some people were happy to see a loving couple. Others were clearly disgusted.

20/20 has always been an interesting show at times. What would have been an interesting correlation would have been to track the ones that were 'disgusted' and find out more about them.

20/20 has always been an interesting show at times. What would have been an interesting correlation would have been to track the ones that were 'disgusted' and find out more about them.

I think for some it's the fact that their parents pounded homophobia into their heads. For others, it's most likely the fact that they had a bad experience with someone who is not a good example of a decent human being who just happens to be gay. Regardless, it is unfortunate that people feel that way.

Interesting story and video clip. The story itself was actually much more fascinating, and hopeful, than the clip.

LOL, I have to say that despite the fact that when I used to watch TV I liked and frequently watched 20/20, I was still confused when I saw this thread title. I thought it was going to be about how people 'couldn't believe their eyes' when gay people kiss.

Another angle worth examining is the whole PDA thing itself. Personally, I love public displays of attention for any couple regardless of their stats. As long as they don't start having sex or doing really heavy stuff I think it's very sweet and definitely something I support having out there in the world. On the other hand, it seems to me that I'm more in the minority with this opinion than most people. Some simply don't like PDA at all, granted it's probably exacerbated when it's a gay couple, but chances are several of the people who 'disapproved' would have anyway, even for a straight couple (though perhaps not as much or as visibly).

Anyway, interesting story :)

Take care all and have a great day,

Kevin

Another angle worth examining is the whole PDA thing itself. Personally, I love public displays of attention for any couple regardless of their stats. As long as they don't start having sex or doing really heavy stuff I think it's very sweet and definitely something I support having out there in the world. On the other hand, it seems to me that I'm more in the minority with this opinion than most people. Some simply don't like PDA at all, granted it's probably exacerbated when it's a gay couple, but chances are several of the people who 'disapproved' would have anyway, even for a straight couple (though perhaps not as much or as visibly).

I'm okay with light PDA's in general, but after a certain point it's like being force fed a scene out of a really bad soap opera. On the other hand, I support gay's showing PDA because, otherwise, it's like they're not there, and I want to know that they exist! It's -- you know -- inspirational. :P

Gawd.... I bet those people who say 'their chances of going to heaven aren't great if they continue their life style' all have guns in their bedroom drawers. The story was more hopeful than the clip, but it's still scary that they're wasting police time on a kissing couple -- don't they have better things to do??

I'm a bit allergic to 'wet' PDAs, when you hear and see too much of people's tongues and such, or when the groping becomes a bit too liberal, but you have to tolerate PDAs from anyone and it's important that gay couples do it so they become more visible. I'm not saying that people should do it if they're feeling uncomfortable about it though, being gay doesn't automatically make you a gay ambassador or anything, or it shouldn't, even though it sometimes happens that you're forced into such a role.

I'm a bit shocked at the people who were staring and making remarks... ugh. And what is up with kids seeing it -- all they have to say to explain is that it's two people who are in love...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all :P

I'm also more of the kind that tolerates light PDA's, but not groping or such. I wouldn't tolerate that even with a heterosexual couple.

But still, mostly their reactions are based on their Xenophobia. I think most straight people act that way, until they have a gay friend or son or daughter. And until they see what daily struggles that person has, opposed to their own lifestyle.

Anyhow, my 2 cents :)

But still, mostly their reactions are based on their Xenophobia. I think most straight people act that way, until they have a gay friend or son or daughter. And until they see what daily struggles that person has, opposed to their own lifestyle.

I think that's an excellent point!

Welcome to the forums, by the way, Zilar :D