PHOBIA

jovian_w2002

What are you afraid of? I think I'm afraid of a lot of things. I do suffer from coulrophobia (irrational fear of clowns), claustrophobia ("irrational" fear of confined space) and arachnophobia (fear of spiders). I do fear fire and insects as well, but I wouldn't classify those as phobias. LOL, I'm such a wimp.

I think the Maury show has done a/some segment(s) on phobias.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely have to say ophiophobia, the fear of snakes. That is my greatest fear of all. It extends to slugs, snails, and worms too. Creatures that move without feet really make me sick. I would rather have my arm hacked off with a chainsaw than to touch any of them. :ph34r:

Arachnophobia- spiders are creepy little b@stards.

Here's a few others that might give you the creeps:

Homilophobia- Fear of sermons.

Isopterophobia- Fear of termites, insects that eat wood: particularly horrifying to homeowners.

Lachanophobia- Fear of vegetables: apparently fruits aren't nearly as terrifying.

Limnophobia- Fear of lakes.

Liticaphobia- Fear of lawsuits.

Logizomechanophobia- Fear of computers.

Lutraphobia- Fear of otters.

Macrophobia- Fear of long waits... which is why I always carry a book.

Medorthophobia- Fear of an erect penis.

Megalophobia- Fear of large things... see above

Melissophobia- Fear of bees.

Meteorophobia- Fear of meteors.

Nucleomituphobia- Fear of nuclear weapons.

Nudophobia- Fear of nudity.

Numerophobia- Fear of numbers. Ack, run! It's Algebra!

Oneirogmophobia- Fear of wet dreams. :lmao:

Ostraconophobia- Fear of shellfish.

Papaphobia- Fear of the Pope.

Parthenophobia- Fear of virgins: I find them particularly terrifying.

Politicophobia- Fear or abnormal dislike of politicians or politics: from the root words Poly- many tics- bloodsuckers

Potophobia- Fear of alcohol: which is why so many people smoke pot I guess.

Pteromerhanophobia- Fear of flying.

Pteronophobia- Fear of being tickled by feathers.

Pupaphobia - Fear of puppets. Bert & Earnie are a horror aren't they?

Symbolophobia- Fear of symbolism. I never understand it either.

Technophobia- Fear of technology.

Telephonophobia- Fear of telephones.

Teutophobia- Fear of German or German things.

I'm afraid of heights. And losing all control.

What Would Kevin Do If He Only Had Thirty Seconds To Type?
<-- :lol: Edited by B1ue

I'm slightly claustrophobic, but only if I feel trapped. Can be an elevator like Drewbie said, can be a straight jacket, a bed that's literally tucked in or rolled up in a blanket, or in a windowless room where I can't see the door. That sort of stuff.

I also am deathly afraid of heights. I don't mind living off the ground (IE, two story house, or a high rise), but I have to keep railings at an arms length. I prefer living on the second floor of something because then I can keep my windows open and not have to worry about someone climbing through it and stealing my expensive computer and other such electronics.

I have Nosocomephobia a fear of hospitals, I don't like being in them or near them I feel like I can't breath and feel extremely tense when I'm in one (when I was younger I spent a lot of time sick in the hospital). I also get slightly claustrophobic when I feel like I'm trapped or in a really confined space.

Agoraphobia.

Acrophobia.

Aeroacrophobia.

Arachnophobia.

Batophobia.

Catagelophobia.

Demophobia.

Illyngophobia.

Ligyrophobia.

Taphephobia.

Thanatophobia.

...Or maybe I'm just neurotic.

I don't like height either.

So ferris wheels freak the shit out of me. Last time years ago was horrible. It sometimes stops. Then it creaks to get moving. I nearly pissed myself at the erratic movements.

I would be closing my eyes on a roller coaster at the first lift...which is the highest of all and usually go SLOW... "don't open your eyes don't open your eyes go down go down go down".

The height has to be really exposed.

That means no sky jumping or I'll die of a major stroke.

And the idea of standing over this...the glass floor 1600 feet up in the CN Tower in Toronto.

800px-Glass_Floor_of_the_CN_Tower.JPG

You would have to be kidding me to make me stand over that.

Edited by Jack Frost

And the idea of standing over this...the glass floor 1600 feet up in the CN Tower in Toronto.

Heights don't usually bother me, but just this picture gives me the creeps. Next time I'm in Toronto, I'll give it a wide berth.

So ferris wheels freak the shit out of me. Last time years ago was horrible. It sometimes stops. Then it creaks to get moving. I nearly pissed myself at the erratic movements.

I would be closing my eyes on a roller coaster at the first lift...which is the highest of all and usually go SLOW... "don't open your eyes don't open your eyes go down go down go down".

If that was me, there would be a puddle between those feet.

Parthenophobia- Fear of virgins: I find them particularly terrifying.

Interestingly, only yesterday I was reading about parthenophilia, which is of course an ummm 'fondness' for virgins ;)

What Would Kevin Do If He Only Had Thirty Seconds To Type?

<-- :lol:

:unsure:

:lol:

:lmao:

I have Nosocomephobia a fear of hospitals, I don't like being in them or near them I feel like I can't breath and feel extremely tense when I'm in one (when I was younger I spent a lot of time sick in the hospital).

:hug:

If that was me, there would be a puddle between those feet.

:lol:

Personally I enjoy heights, and would probably get a kick out of that place!

Similarly, I also enjoy confined spaces as long as I don't have reason to believe I can't get out of them if I want to.

I don't really have any phobias. I have an aversion to snakes, but I'm not phobic by any means. I have a lesser aversion to spiders, but it's not really bad at all. I can easily ignore them if we're on neutral ground or chase them down and kill them if they come into my territory. LOL, my friends always make me kill the spiders. Anyway, I don't like them, but I'm not really that afraid of them.

I have fairly bad eyesight (I should get contacts or glasses but I refuse), so I do get nervous and uncomfortable anytime I have to rely very heavily on my vision. So things like trying to read something from a distance or trying to recognize someone in a crowd make me very uncomfortable and stressed out.

But yeah, no real phobias that I can think of. I used to be afraid of railings. Not height or water (which is usually what they guard against) but the actual railing. I'm pretty sure that has to do with my vision too though. In any case I'm mostly over that one now.

-Kevin

Interestingly, only yesterday I was reading about parthenophilia, which is of course an ummm 'fondness' for virgins ;)

Are you saying that you have a fondness for them? :P

In all seriousness, I have a few others. If there's a phobia of people who don't bathe, I have it.

Are you saying that you have a fondness for them? :P

In all seriousness, I have a few others. If there's a phobia of people who don't bathe, I have it.

Bacillophobia, Bacteriophobia, Microbiophobia

*Shrieks* now that you've mentioned it, I'm also acrophobic. I can't stand heights. I can't stand roller coasters as well. Just from the look of that picture gives me the shudders. *trembles* :o :wacko:

I think it's also useful to distinguish between phobic and merely averse.

I suspect many of the things people refer to as 'phobias' - even a few in this thread I'd wager - are really merely thing people prefer to avoid and are uncomfortable with.

For example does the 'phobia' really interfere with your daily life? Is it something you truly can't reign in? Is it really unreasonable and illogical? Does it cause you significant distress?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing anyone of lying or exaggerating and I'm sure many people in this thread have expressed things they are truly phobic about, but in general I think people tend to throw the word around a bit too lightly.

Blah, I'm probably just raining on everyone's neurotic parade so I'll shut up now :)

-Kevin

For example does the 'phobia' really interfere with your daily life? Is it something you truly can't reign in? Is it really unreasonable and illogical? Does it cause you significant distress?

I think I can safely say mine are phobias, Kevin.