Motivation tricks and techniques

Graeme

• Site Administrator

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has trouble with motivation at times. In my case it's to exercise. I find I give other things higher priority all too often.

I know of a few tricks and techniques that can be used, but I'm also interested in what other people think.

One method that I've found useful, though I'm not currently doing it, is to use guilt. There are a couple of variations on this that I've used in the past:

1. Arranging to exercise with someone else. I feel guilty if I'm going to leave them waiting for me.
  2. Using a blog or similar to let others know what I'm doing. I feel guilty if I can't post to say what I've done.

What other tricks and techniques do people have to help them with motivation when their own self-discipline is lacking? Please don't restrict it to just the topic of exercise, but feel free to mention things for other areas as well (such as quitting smoking). :)

Hi Graeme,

I hate exercising & going to the gym.

Having said that, I probably go to the gym 360 days of the year for about an hour and a half each visit. Sometimes I go twice a day (especially if I've had an especially heavy meal).

I also try to go cycling or rollerblading outdoors.

Here are some of my motivational tools:

1) A Mirror (which you must look at yourself naked with)

2) A digital scale (preferrably with a Body Fat Percentage measurer)

3) Keeping around older clothes that you used to fit in and would like to fit in again.

4) An Ipod Shuffle. Being able to listen to high BPM music does wonders when on a cardio machine.

5) Obese people. Seriously, whenever I feel like wussing out on a workout, I look for them in the gym and say to myself 'If you give up, you could be as heavy as them'. Don't get me wrong, I admire that heavier people are in the gym trying to get fit, but I don't ever want to be in their position trying to loose that much weight. My eating habits are terrible and I'm could so easily get that heavy. It's hard enough to loose weight or get fit from where I am right now, I'd hate to do it carrying around another 100 pounds.

6) Cuties at the gym. Being able to see hot guys is definitely a motivational tool. Either at the gym or on the bike paths. :wub:

Take Care & good luck. Now that we know you're on an exercise kick, we'll be keeping an eye on you for updates and progress. ;)

Vic

Edited by NaperVic

What other tricks and techniques do people have to help them with motivation when their own self-discipline is lacking? Please don't restrict it to just the topic of exercise, but feel free to mention things for other areas as well (such as quitting smoking). :)

Quitting smoking? I did that years ago. It wasn't easy but, due exclusively to the support and encouragement of my best friend, my wife, I was able to break nicotene's death grip on my life. If you are committed to someone who encourages you to give up smoking, you should see it as your loving duty to your partner to break up your relationship with tobacco. Otherwise, you are engaging in a m

Edited by MikeL

• Site Administrator
Take Care & good luck. Now that we know you're on an exercise kick, we'll be keeping an eye on you for updates and progress. ;)

:lol: I haven't started yet, but there's a new gym that's opened up on my way home, so my wife has suggested I check it out. My biggest problem is that I do so much travel I can't be sure I can go to a particular gym regularly, which means getting a gym membership is often a waste of money.

Oh, and I'm not allowed to look at the cuties... at least not openly 0:)

1. Arranging to exercise with someone else. I feel guilty if I'm going to leave them waiting for me.
  2. Using a blog or similar to let others know what I'm doing. I feel guilty if I can't post to say what I've done.

Yep, these both tap into accountability and they're a great resource.

5) Obese people. Seriously, whenever I feel like wussing out on a workout, I look for them in the gym and say to myself 'If you give up, you could be as heavy as them'. Don't get me wrong, I admire that heavier people are in the gym trying to get fit, but I don't ever want to be in their position trying to loose that much weight. My eating habits are terrible and I'm could so easily get that heavy. It's hard enough to loose weight or get fit from where I am right now, I'd hate to do it carrying around another 100 pounds.

6) Cuties at the gym. Being able to see hot guys is definitely a motivational tool. Either at the gym or on the bike paths. :wub:

LOL, in many ways it sounds like the last two both boil down to "That could be be!". Only the first one is said with a grimace and the second is said optimistically! :lol:

Upward and downward comparisons are also both helpful, and having pretty 'scenery' to look at would definitely seem to help!

Here's a few more:

-Make specific manageable goals.

Let's use your example of exercise. Say you want to lose 40 pounds all together. Break that up. Set a goal of maybe two pounds a week. That seems much more manageable and it's easy to focus on losing two pounds. If you're trying to bulk up or something set smaller, manageable weightlifting goals. If you're trying to run or swim more quickly or with more endurance you can similarly break it down and be specific. The most important thing is having specific goals and making them attainable over the short-term.

"Getting into shape" is a poor goal. "Losing 50 pounds by next year" doesn't seem manageable and it's difficult to hold yourself accountable (you may not lose much or any weight until November or December and then be trying to 'hustle'...or more likely give up).

-Visualize your goal.

Imagine yourself with that new body, or how it will feel to reach your goals. Remind yourself of the benefits. Concentrate on the emotions involved.

-Make your goal visible and easy to remember

It needs to be strongly on your mind. Do what it takes to make that happen. Maybe carry around an index card or something in your pocket with your goal written on it. Take that out at set times of the day and go back to the visualization exercises. It might sound silly but you might try setting an alarm (maybe on your watch or cell phone?) to go off every few hours. When it rings stop and think about your goal and what you're doing to achieve it. Focus on your goal every morning before you get up and every night when you go to sleep.

-Be consistent!

It takes about two weeks for something to become a 'habit' (or to break a habit), so get yourself into a routine and don't break it!

-Be forgiving

You're going to have set backs. Don't let that discourage you or cause you to give up entirely. Simply refocus your goals and focus on all your other strategies.

Definitely keep using the accountability strategies and those upward and downward comparisons.

Good luck! :D

-Kevin

................................................................................

.........................................wow I am so not the person to be giving advice on this. I've been reading and all these things have never really worked for me. I'm motivationless, to the point that it's just sad. My only defense against this is.....

Procrastination. Yes. I'll finish this post tomorrow. Haha, jk.

No, it works, trust me!

I wait until I absolutely, beyond any doubt, HAVE TO DO SOMETHING OR THE WORLD WILL END.... and then it magically gets done. That, or I put myself in a position to where I can't not do it. That sounds simple, but it's actually quite elaborate.

Think about it. I have anxiety issues. I hate letting people down on a personal level. I also am very lazy and hate certain classes. I really hate history. There's a disabled kid who needs someone to take notes for him...

Eureka!

I volunteer to take notes for dyslexic boy, and thus MUST come to class or be completely ashamed for letting him down. My fear of letting him down is more powerful than my lack of motivation, and so I end up going to class every day! Voila!

This is how I live my life. Now you all see why it gets soooooooooo complicated. :P