Michael Phelps

Tiger

He has to win one more. I'm going out on a limb and saying that he will.

He doesn't have much of a "warm down" as they call it between races though...

He doesn't have much of a "warm down" as they call it between races though...

Yea, unfortunately he doesn't and he has a greater chance of getting hurt because of it

On a side note, it's called a cool down not a warm down because when you swim you body heats up and swimming more laps at a slower pace lets you cool down. Just a little FYI ;)

There's a big difference between swimming while training and swimming in meets. You tend to push yourself to the max when you're competing against other people, using all of your energy that wouldn't do while practicing. So it has to be tough for him to swim events back to back because I know it was for me (I had to do a 500freestyle event which is 20 laps of the pool then do 2 more events after that. Even though I did swim every day for 3 hours and ran, I was still burned out when I got to the first event after the 500).

Michael Phelps has done it! He is the most decorated Olympic gold medalist ever! :great:

The poll is now closed. 9 members correctly guessed that he would do it. :D

Edited by Tiger

Here is the list:

1. Men's 200m Freestyle
  2. Men's 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay
  3. Men's 400m Individual Medley
  4. Men's 200m Butterfly
  5. Men's 800m Freestyle Relay (won just now)

3 are individual, but 2 are relays. The total is now 11 in his Olympic career. :)

Edited by Tiger

Here is the list:

1. Men's 200m Freestyle
  2. Men's 4 x 100m Freestyle Relay
  3. Men's 400m Individual Medley
  4. Men's 200m Butterfly
  5. Men's 800m Freestyle Relay (won just now)

3 are individual, but 2 are relays. The total is now 11 in his Olympic career. :)

I've been following swimming like crazy. Not only Michael Phelps, but Aaron Piersol and some female swimmers. But Phelps blows everyone out of the water. I watched the freestyle relay, and he was the first guy out right? Man, he created such a huge distance between him and the other swimmers. Basically the US made short work out of everyone else. Awesome.

I agree that Phelps is still young, only 23. I have no doubt he'd be in the next Olympics and will continue to rack up those gold medals, or medals overall.

He is simply an amazing athlete. There's no doubt about it. He is now the most decorated gold medalist in Olympic history, and he has broken 4 world records at the same time. It's nothing short of amazing.

He really is. I remember my junior year when we (me and some members of the swim team) got together a few times to watch both men and women's swimming and how we just were amazed not only by Phelps, but by the other olympians. They truly are awe inspiring with how they compete.

Heck, Phelps is the reason I went into full force into swimming. I saw him compete in the nationals on TV and then the olympics at age 15! I thought that maybe I could do the same thing, though I knew I'd never go as far as him. So he's very inspiring to watch and if he's in a race, you know it's gonna be good :)