• Henry V
    • Henry VI, Part 1
    • Henry VI, Part 2
    • Henry VI, Part 3
    • Henry VIII
    • King John
    • Richard II
    • Richard III

Shakespearean plays have influenced our language, writing, and society (believe it or not)! Here's a thread for those who enjoy his works and would like to discuss about them.

I'm currently studying Renaissance Comedy (Shakespeare and Jonson) for my first year B.A in English haha. My teacher told my class to to come up with a report or survey of some sort next month, but she hasn't told us what plays we'd be doing the report/survey on. Hmmm... I'll get the information asap. :)

I've read a lot of Shakespeare over the years, and I've found that each one represents a difference side of humanity, both the good sides and the bad sides, and it's amazing the way it works out like that and if I remember right, no two Shakespeare works are alike.

That being said, my all time favorite Shakespeare work would have to be Macbeth.

That being said, my all time favorite Shakespeare work would have to be Macbeth.

Cool :D I love Macbeth too :) Even though Macbeth is catergorized as a Shakespearean tragedy, it is also an optimistic play. One of the major themes of this play would be 'retribution and punishment'. No sin or wrongdoing goes unpunished, and Macbeth receives a double dosage of his own medication. ;)

I had the honour to play one of the head characters in his "Comedy of Errors", and I dearly enjoyed that :)

That's awesome!!! I remember I played Sebestian in "Twelfth night" in theatre school, haha, and that didn't turn out too well because 'Viola' kept messing up her lines hahah ;) .

My current module does not cover on Comedy of Errors but my teacher has encouraged us to read it. Which character did you play? hehehe. If I can recall what I read, this story has something to do with twins?

That's awesome!!! I remember I played Sebestian in "Twelfth night" in theatre school, haha, and that didn't turn out too well because 'Viola' kept messing up her lines hahah ;) .

My current module does not cover on Comedy of Errors but my teacher has encouraged us to read it. Which character did you play? hehehe. If I can recall what I read, this story has something to do with twins?

I was Antipholus of Siracuse, one of the twins indeed :P There was a master twin, with twin servants, but we were separated. And when we actually get in the same town, of course people mix us up and the comedy starts of course :P Like, I confessed my love to the sister of my brother's wife, and she thought of course that I was indeed her sister's husband, and so on :P

Pity your play didn't work out that well then :( But it's fun to be part of it, it creates a bond :)

I am familiar with Julius Caesar, Macbeth, Romeo and Juliet, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and Henry V. I am really not into Shakespeare to be honest. I know this probably sounds bad, but I prefer modern plays. :P

Every halftime speech in history has merely been a rewording of Henry the Vth's address to his troops prior to Agincourt. Just listen to it and tell me it doesn't make you want to go out and beat the crap out of some French people.

he's a minor figure. now chaucer...

Chaucer doesn't hold a candle to Shakespeare. Tell that bitch to rewrite everything he ever did in iambic pentameter and then maybe we'll talk. :P

Favorite by far is A Midsummer Night's Dream. It's just so damn hilarious, hehe, even though people get all pissy when you say it's your favorite because they think you're just uneducated concerning Shakespeare. I really like The Tempest as well, and a few others. Not big on Shakespeare's tragedies... they're so gloomy and dramatic. That said, I will admit that some of those are very good, too.

I hate histories. I hate all histories. Death to history.

Chaucer doesn't hold a candle to Shakespeare. Tell that bitch to rewrite everything he ever did in iambic pentameter and then maybe we'll talk

he did nothing new. this is what i mean.

shakespeare: fit for high school plays and jeopardy questions.

also: he wrote in five-stress lines, related to iambic pentameter, and was one of the first english poets to do so, along with inventing his own meter, not to mention what he did for framed narrative.

Edited by lesfeuxdemoncoeur

I like the Tempest and Richard III, thanks in part to Al Pacino and the amazing Looking For Richard. I knew the play fairly well, but this movie casts a different light on it. If you haven't seen it, it's really worth your time. Especially if you're a Mississippi uneducated person who only likes Puck and the Queen of Fairies. ;)

As for the Chaucer/ Shakespeare debate *takes highly patronizing tone*, sorry, people, but it's highly irrelevant. You might as well discuss the merits of Nathaniel Hawthorne VS. Ernest Hemingway (who was some kind of a boxer).

Every halftime speech in history has merely been a rewording of Henry the Vth's address to his troops prior to Agincourt. Just listen to it and tell me it doesn't make you want to go out and beat the crap out of some French people.

Honestly! (Well thats to be expected. Theyre french) And ok, I hate football, but I do remember watching the movie Independence Day, and he speech the president gives, I wanted to scream.

Chaucer doesn't hold a candle to Shakespeare. Tell that bitch to rewrite everything he ever did in iambic pentameter and then maybe we'll talk. :P

Ok, you need to CALM DOWN.

Honestly! (Well thats to be expected. Theyre french)

Well, well, well! Isn't that special? A nice little bout of gallophobia! It makes me feel all warm inside. (By the way, Azincourt remained exactly as it was when those cunning and devious Brits slaughtered most of the French knighthood. It's impressive to visit, because it makes for a very little battlefield.)