Prayers for Bobby

hh5

It was a very moving story. I watched the Sunday airing.

The discussions between her and the MCC minister just goes to show how much the bible is changed from one translation to the next.

Isn't she lucky to have a progressive minister?

But then the audience has their minister and pastors that would take a part the story and how anti- or pro they can be.

The bigger damage can be from bad ones and there is nothing stop that. Lifetime might lose some audience.

Another issue are those that likes to protest against anything - just hope that there isn't going to something negative against lifetime.

Sure I like to have another story to be aired. More education of the public is needed.

When you are at a club and some shit head kid says where did all the old trolls come from, you might remind them of that.

I tend to do that James :) A lot of the older guys and gals I would talk to at the gay bars were so nice and fun to talk to and offered such a broad range of experiences that I have nothing but respect for them. When some idiot makes a crack about them, more times then not, I put them in their place and tell them that if it wasn't for them and their generation, we would have it MUCH worse then we do.

Another issue are those that likes to protest against anything - just hope that there isn't going to something negative against lifetime.

Sure I like to have another story to be aired. More education of the public is needed.

I think that maybe we should get ahead of the curve and maybe start sending letters of thanks to lifetime for airing a story like this. It was a very big step and risky for them to do it and they deserve all the congrats that they can get. Now if Logo would do something like this more often, we'd be set.

http://www.mylifetime.com/on-tv/movies/photos-prayers-bobby#

Real Mary is on the left.

I do think lifetime is gonna get some flak, then again, any kind of publicity can be a good thing to bring new people on.

Logo wasn't licensed, and not every place has logo I think that's why lifetime got it. Logo does have documentaries. one was about gay teens are religious and trying to find their way, called camp out.

I do think though needs better shows, and eventually get a movie like prayers for bobby, or one for gay teens. and eric mentioned maybe putting on the larmie project which would be a great idea.

Edited by Drewbie

*hugs Phantom*

I saw the movie Sunday night and it really bummed me out.

For once I'd like to see a movie where the gay lead doesn't end up dead.

It was a great movie. I'm just to grumpy a geezer to fail to complain about something.

• 2 weeks later...
Never heard of this movie until tonight and just watched it, you still can on lifetimes website. It was indeed very well done and very, very few things can make me cry but this sure did. Don't bother watching unless you enjoy a good heartache; but then for some of us that's about all we have left anymore.

From another grumpy, not so geezer, I have no problem at all when a gay lead dies, as long as it's for increasing awareness; which I think this film did masterfully.

The only problem I had was the suicide itself could've been a little clearer. It looked too much like 'my boyfriend cheated on me and my mom hates me so I'm done'. Going directly from seeing the boyfriend to the bridge was too quick, and if anything sends the wrong message. I think it would've been better if he had gone back home and started to pack, like he cant live there anymore, then stopped suddenly, like he cant go back to his family either. Now there truly is nowhere to go. That would've had more impact and made it clearer for some of the strait people who don't understand. Or maybe its just my own depressed thoughts /shrug

I wonder about that part seeing his bf coming out of a dance. But it sad he couldn't deal with it. He could have made a mistake but still to put ones life because of it. Very serious stuff. sounds like also he has untreated depression.

• Site Administrator

I see that you can watch the entire movie at Lifetime's website.

Unfortunately it is only viewable in the US :angry: .

Looks like someone got it up on Youtube for a day until Lifetime had it pulled. It looks like us foreigners are not going to be able to watch until who knows when :( .

Honestly if there was a way I could send it to everyone I would, this movie means that much to me. Funny thing when I talked to my mom about this (she can be a she-devil at times) she was horrified that I would compare her to the mom in the movie, but when I brought up instances of times where she said the same things that Mary said, and how she said them to me, it shut her up. I don't think she realized how cruel she was being. Lately, she seems to be avoiding the whole gay topic and, while she's not being supportive, she does ask how things are going between me and Matt. It's not a lot, but it's progress.

I really think that this movie can be an ice breaker between gay youth and their parents, a way to say "Hey. I don't want you to turn out like her and I don't want to turn out like him." It's a bit dramatic if it comes to it, but it's a way to open up a hard to talk about topic.

Honestly if there was a way I could send it to everyone I would, this movie means that much to me. Funny thing when I talked to my mom about this (she can be a she-devil at times) she was horrified that I would compare her to the mom in the movie, but when I brought up instances of times where she said the same things that Mary said, and how she said them to me, it shut her up. I don't think she realized how cruel she was being. Lately, she seems to be avoiding the whole gay topic and, while she's not being supportive, she does ask how things are going between me and Matt. It's not a lot, but it's progress.

I really think that this movie can be an ice breaker between gay youth and their parents, a way to say "Hey. I don't want you to turn out like her and I don't want to turn out like him." It's a bit dramatic if it comes to it, but it's a way to open up a hard to talk about topic.

It sounds like your mom is, slowly but surely, coming around...asking about the relationship is acknowledging both your status and your relationship without her having to use the "G" word...let it go, and give her time. It's sounding like she's becoming more concerned for your own happiness, let that work on her for a while. When she sees that you and Matt truly are happy together, she's going to go through a major paradigm shift in her thought processes--don't rush her, let it work itself in slowly first.

I see that you can watch the entire movie at Lifetime's website.

Unfortunately it is only viewable in the US :angry: .

Looks like someone got it up on Youtube for a day until Lifetime had it pulled. It looks like us foreigners are not going to be able to watch until who knows when :( .

Here you go guys, you can download it from this website, itll take a while 1 piece at a time but its worth it. Ive DLd several movies from here that I just couldn

• 7 months later...

Sorry to bring up an old topic but just managed to watch this film finally. Anyone who hasn't yet seen it should, it's on youtube or you can watch the whole film Here (just wait for the box to load beneath and then watch it in the browser)

Now the film: Oh I cried. Thats the first time I've had to use tissues due to watching something on tv in about 10 years. And just as I stopped, I'd cry again.

This story is tragic and I'm so thankful it got told. Sigourney Weaver is a great actress, she's always been one of my favourites but now I love her more.

This film is one of the best films I've watched. Period.

I think it should be mandatory for all humans to watch. :) Ok maybe that's too far, but films nowadays spend millions of dollars on creating utter **** that does nothing but make money for the already super rich. This film has a smaller tv budget and actually does some good in the world. That's just another reason it's amazing.

Well done to everyone involved in this, especially the real Mary and Bobby. Whoever said he didn't die in vain is right.

Sorry to bring up an old topic but just managed to watch this film finally. Anyone who hasn't yet seen it should, it's on youtube or you can watch the whole film Here (just wait for the box to load beneath and then watch it in the browser)

Now the film: Oh I cried. Thats the first time I've had to use tissues due to watching something on tv in about 10 years. And just as I stopped, I'd cry again.

This story is tragic and I'm so thankful it got told. Sigourney Weaver is a great actress, she's always been one of my favourites but now I love her more.

This film is one of the best films I've watched. Period.

I think it should be mandatory for all humans to watch. :) Ok maybe that's too far, but films nowadays spend millions of dollars on creating utter **** that does nothing but make money for the already super rich. This film has a smaller tv budget and actually does some good in the world. That's just another reason it's amazing.

Well done to everyone involved in this, especially the real Mary and Bobby. Whoever said he didn't die in vain is right.

:(.............Yes, a powerful performance for a tragic true story movie!! It deeply moved me, it would have been better had the mother just thrown him out and condemned him. Instead she let him seek redemption with her in a fallacy driven fantasy. They both reached out for an unreachable miracle, instead of reaching for each other! Too many Bobbys' in the world, hopefully there are better educated moms.

Edited by Benji
  • Like 1

• 6 months later...