Windows 7

Emulated

Now that Windows 7 Beta is out for a limited public release, I was wondering if any of you were daring to try out Microsoft's new OS.

Me? I'm using it right now and I have to say, I'm impressed, very impressed actually. Having come from XP, -(Yes, I skipped over Vista too) it is a dramatic improvement in many ways. Put simply: it looks good and feels good.

So anyone out there tried it out yet? Anyone planning to? If you are, you have my encouragement.

Link

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can always try it under VmWare Server or Microsoft Virtual PC or Server

That way you don't have to risk your personal machine.

If you have a throwaway machine - you can experiment on it.

You can always try it under VmWare Server or Microsoft Virtual PC or Server

That way you don't have to risk your personal machine.

If you have a throwaway machine - you can experiment on it.

I take it you've given it a go, using one of those methods?

I take it you've given it a go, using one of those methods?

I just learn not to risk my machine and since I am living at my mom place - I can't just pull out an old machine for experiment

also the older the machine - the more incompatible it is

Example I put Win Server 2008 on a dual pentium 3 running old sata hardware. It works because I tried a vista like driver.

Microsoft has a reputation for releasing software entirely too early and using paying customers as alpha and beta testers. I would assume that anything before their "offical" release would be prone to explode with out warning or provocation.

Conventional wisdom regarding Micro-sloppy products is to leave them alone for a year or two and let other people suffer through the process of refinement as the worst (or at least the most obvious) bugs are cleaned up.

• Site Administrator
Microsoft has a reputation for releasing software entirely too early and using paying customers as alpha and beta testers. I would assume that anything before their "offical" release would be prone to explode with out warning or provocation.

Conventional wisdom regarding Micro-sloppy products is to leave them alone for a year or two and let other people suffer through the process of refinement as the worst (or at least the most obvious) bugs are cleaned up.

Contrary to popular belief, according to scores of people that review windows for a living, Windows 7 beta is very highly stable. As it should be. It is more or less Vista Service Pack 2...

I'm gonna wait before testing it on my laptop.... and can anyone let me know if it's ANYTHING like Vista?

Cus if it is... i'm sticking to linux :P

It is essentially Vista, but rather what Vista should have been from the start. In the sense that it's much quicker, more stable and generally nice to work with.

When you give it a try you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Out of curiosity, what linux distro are you using?

I would have agreed with you before trying the beta, but it's clear from its quality that there has been some serious changes happening over at Microsoft. Since install it's worked fine for me, much better than Vista when it was initially released.

I'm quite confident that Windows 7 will put them on track again and from the state of the beta, I'd say they are pretty close.

I would have agreed with you before trying the beta, but it's clear from its quality that there has been some serious changes happening over at Microsoft. Since install it's worked fine for me, much better than Vista when it was initially released.

After years of hearing bullsh*t promises from Microshaft, I'll believe it when I see it.

I'll check it out when I PIRATE a copy cause I'm not sending another damned dime to the redmond crowd.

They have yet to, in any OS release at any time, delivered a product with 1/3rd the stability of Linux.

Contrary to popular belief, according to scores of people that review windows for a living, Windows 7 beta is very highly stable. As it should be. It is more or less Vista Service Pack 2...

Never believe a review of a Microshaft product. They are bought and paid for. If a magazine or website gives M$ a bad review, the Evil Empire will pull their advertising. Therefore reviews for M$ products have to be taken with a mountain of salt.

Nothing- all the marketing, kludged code or fancy add campaigns can make Vista anything more than a stinking, reeking pile of crap.

Never believe a review of a Microshaft product. They are bought and paid for. If a magazine or website gives M$ a bad review, the Evil Empire will pull their advertising. Therefore reviews for M$ products have to be taken with a mountain of salt.

Nothing- all the marketing, kludged code or fancy add campaigns can make Vista anything more than a stinking, reeking pile of crap.

James, why don't you tell us how you really feel? :P

James, why don't you tell us how you really feel? :P

I second that. :D

I'll check it out when I PIRATE a copy cause I'm not sending another damned dime to the redmond crowd.

Neither would I, but the beta's free and lasts until august... B)

They have yet to, in any OS release at any time, delivered a product with 1/3rd the stability of Linux.

I think we both know that it's never going to happen. Not Windows 7, not Windows 25, never.

Define stability... I'm not a Windows fan boy by any stretch of the imagination. I loath M$ just as James does (I happen to loath crApple even more, just ask Eric).

As I understand, Linux is capable of running for months at a time, before needing a restart. I don't think Windows will be capable of that for a very long time, and when it is, Linux will likely be running for years at a time. That said, my desktop is currently running XP x64 and hasn't been rebooted in over 17 days. I've run a few performance demanding games in this time and the system is still rather sharp. I suspect the next time it will need a reboot is when M$ updates it again, as that was the reason it was rebooted the last time.

If 7 is as nice as people say it is, I might give it a shot. When I was shopping for new laptops I found it rather annoying that everytime I accessed a PCs device manager in Vista, it would ask my permission. I get the feeling that that will happen more often. If 7 is more stable, faster, and less like a nagging wife (another reason to be gay!), I might get it to replace Vista x64.

Stability [in regard to operating systems] The OS does not flop, lock up up or blue screen at the drop of a hat. Tolerates faults in applications without crashing the entire system. Can operate for long periods of time without rebooting. Efficiently recycles memory without fragmentation or memory leaks.

Linux systems are designed from the bottom up for stability by using fixed size data structures in the kernel.

Microsoft OS's use varable sized data structures in their kernel which are prone to stack and buffer overflows and other big problems when applications layer software misbehaves. As these OS's support legecy code, they are supporting applications which were originally designed with target OS Win 98, Win ME, Win XT, Win XP, Win XP SP1, Win XP SP2 in mind.

If 7 is more stable, faster, and less like a nagging wife (another reason to be gay!), I might get it to replace Vista x64.

In that sense, Win 7 is quite gay friendly. :D It asks you how much you want to be pestered- if at all.

Ok - I installed it in VMWare and its running so far.

I don't have to much time to play with it yet.

Good, remember to tell us what you think!

Stability [in regard to operating systems] The OS does not flop, lock up up or blue screen at the drop of a hat. Tolerates faults in applications without crashing the entire system. Can operate for long periods of time without rebooting. Efficiently recycles memory without fragmentation or memory leaks.

Linux systems are designed from the bottom up for stability by using fixed size data structures in the kernel.

Microsoft OS's use varable sized data structures in their kernel which are prone to stack and buffer overflows and other big problems when applications layer software misbehaves. As these OS's support legecy code, they are supporting applications which were originally designed with target OS Win 98, Win ME, Win XT, Win XP, Win XP SP1, Win XP SP2 in mind.

Well, I've yet to have a need for rebooting XP x64, and I haven't had any lock up issues since ME (almost 6 years now). It's been so long since I've seen anything even remotely related to BSOD that I don't remember what it looks like... 2000 never gave me a problem and the only reason I switched to XP x64 is because I upgraded to 4 GB of ram -- otherwise I would still be using it.

M$ has a lot of issues to correct and I sincerely doubt all of them will be resolved with 7. Even if they were, there will likely be a slew of new problems. Given that, they're not exactly the OS devil that they were in the days of ME the first edition of 98. I think their biggest problem is they're several years behind Linux distro's and crApple, but it looks like they're catching up, slowly but surely.

I just downloaded 7 and will install it on my old laptop once the bigger hard drive for my new laptop comes in and I can make the switch to the new one. We'll see how it goes.

You know I'm really surprised but I actually LIKE 7. Vista CONSTANTLY hogs memory like freakin' crazy. At pretty much any given moment that I'm actually using my computer it's got 1.5 gigs tied up. 7 has been using more like 700 to 800 megs... so basically half what Vista uses.

It's also prettier, and I like pretty things. I'm afraid to get rid of Vista on my compy entirely so right now I've been dual booting to play with it, but yeah... I'm not sure exactly how to fix certain things if I decided to use 7. For instance, my little LCD doesn't display stuff when using 7 (I have a small screen built into the keyboard that shows performance and whatnot sorta things)... and my video card seems to be a bit... inaccessible... yeah I'm not sure what's up with it in 7. I'd have to f**K around with it and I'm afraid to do that 'cause I think I'll muck up and not be able to fix what I screw up.

~sigh~ Alas, I shall stick to simply playing with 7 for now until I get really motivated to use it and then I'll switch some things around...

Out of curiosity, what linux distro are you using?

I dual boot on my laptop with windows xp and ubuntu 8.10 x64.

I wanna try windows 7... but I want to know if there's a way to install it via usb drive. My DVD-RW is fried on the laptop.

Yes, as a big shock to those who know me... I want to try a CLOSED SOURCE system. My feeling is... check it out and worse comes to worse... head back to straight shot linux open source

EDIT TO ADD: I'm currently downloading it and gonna install it via usb today before I head to work. Worse case scenario... I'll just use puppylinux to fix things on the laptop if things get to a charlie foxtrot (military lingo.... look it up ;) )

Edited by Phantom

I dual boot on my laptop with windows xp and ubuntu 8.10 x64.

I wanna try windows 7... but I want to know if there's a way to install it via usb drive. My DVD-RW is fried on the laptop.

Yes, as a big shock to those who know me... I want to try a CLOSED SOURCE system. My feeling is... check it out and worse comes to worse... head back to straight shot linux open source

WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAS GATES DONE TO ERIC!!!!! :pissed:

WHO ARE YOU AND WHAT HAS GATES DONE TO ERIC!!!!! :pissed:

He turned me to the dark side...

BTW - The iso file I got was corrupted and failed half way through the installation so now... i'm having to reinstall EVERYTHING...

I'm goin back to Ubuntu :angry: