HTML Format

Prince Duchess

I use a program by Amaya.com, which is a free download. Quick & easy to use, but it's just basic HTML. Normally I just cut & paste from Word, then play around with spacing, headers etc. There will be better ones, but this will suit basic needs.

That depends on what you are trying to convert. If you wanna convert .txt files to simple HTML, just save them with the filename "name.html" where the name is the name of the file.

If you are trying to convert a .doc file to simple HTML, just use 'save as' and then where you enter the name of the file, below that there is a list of options as to what you wanna save it as. Just select Web Page....

But let me tell you, all these converters make a mess of the code in the background and I, personally, prefer to just write the code on my own....much neater that way.

:)

BeaStKid :devil:

I use Dreamweaver and am thrilled -- but it isn't cheap. There are a number of free tools if you aren't into hand coding.

Please note that Microsoft Word does NOT generate standards compliant HTML. What it generates barely even qualifies as HTML and a number of sites do not accept Word generated HTML as submissions, so if you're submitting, be careful.

I use Dreamweaver and am thrilled -- but it isn't cheap. There are a number of free tools if you aren't into hand coding.

Please note that Microsoft Word does NOT generate standards compliant HTML. What it generates barely even qualifies as HTML and a number of sites do not accept Word generated HTML as submissions, so if you're submitting, be careful.

Dreamweaver can clean up most of the crap that's included when a Word document is imported. Go to Commands - Clean up Word HTML. It has a number of options, and does a pretty good job. BTW, do NOT select the "Apply source formatting" option. That will recreate all of the Word-specific (and 99% redundant) class commands from the doc file; instead, after cleaning up the imported Word document, go back and add any missing formatting using CSS.

Colin B)

• 3 weeks later...

A lot of good advice here, especially about avoiding using Word to convert. Even after applying all the fixes in Dreamweaver to Word-generated code, you can kill most of a day cleaning up after it manually.

Dreamweaver is great if you can afford it.

You can create a very basic page by just using a plain text editor and putting <p> at the start of every paragraph and </p> at the end of every paragraph.  If something is a title, use <h1> . . . </h1> instead.  You can do subheads by using numbers 2 through 6 in place of the 1.  Put <body> and </body> at the beginning and end respectively of the whole business. Save it as a text file, and change the extension to .html, as suggested above.

You'll wind up with a page that can later be subjected to all sorts of fancy formating without a lot of work clearing out machine-generated junk, with just adding a few lines of code. But I think it will work as is, and it will use the browser's default stylings.

Tarin <3 Dreamweaver, but not for the WYSIWYG so much.

If you know how to code HTML, Notepad++ for PC and TextWrangler for Mac are great free HTML editing programs. They are not WYSIWYGs though, so you do not get the (sometimes) nifty preview as in Dreamweaver, but you get the same or better XHTML assistance.

Or you can always pay someone, or if you have a nice friend that knows HTML then you can maybe trade services or ask a favour.

Of course, the question is...what kind of file is it you want to convert PD?

Notepad++ for PC and TextWrangler for Mac are great free HTML editing programs. They are not WYSIWYGs though, so you do not get the (sometimes) nifty preview as in Dreamweaver,

Any time you want to check how it looks, you can just open your file in your browser. For example, on a Mac you could just drag the icon of the .html file to the Safari icon in the dock.

• 3 weeks later...

Another good program that I use to make HTML pages is Kompozer... its an open source WYSIWYG web page editor that you can use...

Usually I just copy/paste my text from a word doc into it and bada bing bada boom I have a nice HTML compliant web page :)

Eric