Podcast

Gay_In_Flanders

Hey, my fellow GA's!

What would you say of a Podcast ... GA Podcast?

Since I'm a podcast addict I'de love that to happen. ^^

Since I haven't got a clue if I'd get a lot of support of the members, or moderators for that matter, I'm opening this thread.

Please let me know!

P.S.: The Podcast can be about a lot more then just GA! We've got a magnificent 'Teen Spot' and other stuff as well! Also subjects that have nothing to do with GA can be brought foreward. Of course 90% would have to be about the gay community, or the word GAY would be rather unnecessairy. :P

I hope I'll get some positives responses to this! :D

• Like 5

I'd be glad to help out, sounds fun and would bring some spunk to the GA spotlight. Featured stories and such, I bet it would come out faster than the GAzette because when I messaged Krista about it she totally ignored me for who knows why? =( So it shows they care about community stuff. I fully support this and will help you out Flanders guy.

I have no idea what a podcast is.... but it sounds like a good idea :)

Broadcast radio-esq show if you will. Usually produced on iTunes or whatever variant format. Podcast, group of people discuss some topic/category. Basically free radio show done by regular plebeians of society.

Hey, my fellow GA's!

What would you say of a Podcast ... GA Podcast?

Since I'm a podcast addict I'de love that to happen. ^^

Since I haven't got a clue if I'd get a lot of support of the members, or moderators for that matter, I'm opening this thread.

Please let me know!

P.S.: The Podcast can be about a lot more then just GA! We've got a magnificent 'Teen Spot' and other stuff as well! Also subjects that have nothing to do with GA can be brought foreward. Of course 90% would have to be about the gay community, or the word GAY would be rather unnecessairy. :P

I hope I'll get some positives responses to this! :D

Wow, you've been here all of five minutes and already you're cooking up some great ideas! B) Actually a GA podcast is an excellent idea.

And truth be told, I've often wondered if such a thing would work for GA. If the right content was delivered on a regular schedule, then I think it has the potential to succeed.

But the hard part is getting the thing off the ground. Firstly we need someone who would host/co-host the show, and that person would need the equipment and stuff (e.g. something better than a webcam mic).

The hardest part in my opinion (This part is for the Admins) would be the hosting/bandwidth costs of maintaining and streaming the show. But there is a site libsyn.com who do professional hosting/unlimited bandwidth tiered pricing. Quite a few professional podcasts that I listen to use this and their prices are pretty good considering what they offer. (So be sure to check that one out Myr! :P ) It's also free to be listed on iTunes, so it's a win win there.

But back to the podcast itself, I'd really like to see something like this become a reality. So everyone chime in, lets see if we can get this idea noticed by the brains of GA! :2thumbs:

• Like 1

The micro that comes standard with my laptop (Acer 9300) works just fine. :P

But I see what you mean.

Hosts wouldn't be that much of a problem though ... there are always people that are willing to stand in the spotlight. :D (isn't looking to himself XD)

Now I just gotta like ... fill a first episode. Wich is rather hard 'cause I don't know what exactly to put in. I got some ideas, but I'm afraid there will be to less content directing directly to GA.

So I just gotta work out something. ^^

P.S.: Like a said earlier ... ideas are welcome. ^^

Thanks for the feedback so far! :D

Broadcast radio-esq show if you will. Usually produced on iTunes or whatever variant format. Podcast, group of people discuss some topic/category. Basically free radio show done by regular plebeians of society.

Thank you :)

Quick ideas off the top of my head:

- Skype coould be used for collaborating with multiple hosts

- Interview an author about their stories/ideas/writing

- Have an author read some of their work

- GA team could talk about the site itself and goals for it

- I'd love to hear from behind the scenes folks like editors and the other teams

- Newsletter team could talk about what they're up to

- Get a phone number somewhere and have listeners/members "call in" questions for hosts

- Pick some topics in the forum and riff on them

- Goat sightings

Nothing really creative here, just stuff I've seen on other podcasts.

Edited by Hoskins
  • Like 1

Thanks for your support ... some people *doesn't look into anyone's direction* seem to be against.

Shame, like I said earlier, change is a good thing. ^^

(Even O'Drama was able to win because of that simple word.)

Don't mind the negative people who seem to be against suggestions and ideas. People like that doesn't bring anything to a community. People like you do. B) And it's not as if someone's going to force them to listen to podcasts, so they're just being negative and rude for no reason. I think the majority like reading about new suggestions and ideas, though. So keep at it. At least that's my opinion.

• Like 2

Wow, you've been here all of five minutes and already you're cooking up some great ideas! B) Actually a GA podcast is an excellent idea.

And truth be told, I've often wondered if such a thing would work for GA. If the right content was delivered on a regular schedule, then I think it has the potential to succeed.

But the hard part is getting the thing off the ground. Firstly we need someone who would host/co-host the show, and that person would need the equipment and stuff (e.g. something better than a webcam mic).

The hardest part in my opinion (This part is for the Admins) would be the hosting/bandwidth costs of maintaining and streaming the show. But there is a site libsyn.com who do professional hosting/unlimited bandwidth tiered pricing. Quite a few professional podcasts that I listen to use this and their prices are pretty good considering what they offer. (So be sure to check that one out Myr! :P ) It's also free to be listed on iTunes, so it's a win win there.

But back to the podcast itself, I'd really like to see something like this become a reality. So everyone chime in, lets see if we can get this idea noticed by the brains of GA! :2thumbs:

Agrees on the bandwidth part, I do like the idea though. also probably the content will have to be listened to before it's posted on here, by member of the staff mod/ or an admin.

Thanks for your support ... some people *doesn't look into anyone's direction* seem to be against.

Every good idea gets some negative reactions. Occasionally, they are worth considering, but ultimately they are only minor hurdles. Keep plugging away. I like Hoskins' suggestions except I think goats aren't particularly newsworthy.

The bandwidth most likely wouldn't be a problem. We have enough that we don't use that it's feasible to do something like this without having to pay for any kind of extra bandwidth.

The issue, however, is finding a team to do all of this work on a regular basis. This is why our Newsletter is rarely used. We have a small team, but they're also involved in other areas of the site that take up a lot of their time. A lot of people don't realize what kind of work goes into running this site so a lot of people get burnt out and leave because they can't consistently volunteer all of their extra free time. I know for a fact that the admins wouldn't be able to handle this kind of work right now. The tech support team (which consists of 3 people including myself) is booked up. A few on the moderation team might be willing to help out, but the Newsletter team probably wouldn't because we don't actually have one. The Newsletter is done periodically by people from various teams.

Don't get me wrong, the Podcast is a great idea, but keeping up with it is the hard part. With the Newsletter, we had a lot of people volunteer to help in the beginning, but as time went on, people started dropping out and it's hard to find replacements.

If you guys want to try and get it going, that's great. We can add a section to the site to hold them and even a private forum for you guys to work in. But as for getting much help volunteer-wise from the members already on staff, that's where you're going to run into some trouble.

Indeed, it might be hard. People are always more enthousiatic during the starting period then they are in, let's say, 3 months.

Still, we can try and I'll se who can/wants to do what.

The priority now is to put together a show, wich will be hard enough already. ^^

Hrm... last time I volunteered I got stuck with something way over my head...

But if you need someone to do some grunt work, I'd be willing to help (with this, the newsletter, or anything else). I 'hang out' around here enough that it's only fair to give something back, and with my finances having just gone belly up I can't do it in cash...

Alot of the ideas stated are great, especially Emulated bringing up the idea of bandwidth. It is true. But it can easily be done on Ventrilo, or Skype or any sort of recording system. I remember for another board I was involved in, a writing compendium if you will a few kids pulled off a podcast, which was rather impressive. They had music etc, just takes a bit of editing and somebody to record it, but it can be done. There are other sites you can host from, not just this one? Wouldn't you host a sound bite via youtube and just drop links onto the site and people can go listen there? Or does it need to be done via the site for reasons I don't know about?

Flanders I'm still all for it though.

My head hurts, people are using to many words! XD

Nah, I know, recording ... don't know, I could try with my laptop. It's rather good quality.

I've got Skype already ... .

But I'm new to this so I gotta figure out a lot of things in the meantime. ^^

The bandwidth most likely wouldn't be a problem. We have enough that we don't use that it's feasible to do something like this without having to pay for any kind of extra bandwidth.

The issue, however, is finding a team to do all of this work on a regular basis. This is why our Newsletter is rarely used. We have a small team, but they're also involved in other areas of the site that take up a lot of their time. A lot of people don't realize what kind of work goes into running this site so a lot of people get burnt out and leave because they can't consistently volunteer all of their extra free time. I know for a fact that the admins wouldn't be able to handle this kind of work right now. The tech support team (which consists of 3 people including myself) is booked up. A few on the moderation team might be willing to help out, but the Newsletter team probably wouldn't because we don't actually have one. The Newsletter is done periodically by people from various teams.

Don't get me wrong, the Podcast is a great idea, but keeping up with it is the hard part. With the Newsletter, we had a lot of people volunteer to help in the beginning, but as time went on, people started dropping out and it's hard to find replacements.

If you guys want to try and get it going, that's great. We can add a section to the site to hold them and even a private forum for you guys to work in. But as for getting much help volunteer-wise from the members already on staff, that's where you're going to run into some trouble.

I agree with what you're saying. It will be hard enough to get something like this off the ground, but to keep it going with new content all the time, now that will be the hard part!

But it's good that GA could host the files without too much strain on the server. That's make things easier if this project goes through.

There are other sites you can host from, not just this one? Wouldn't you host a sound bite via youtube and just drop links onto the site and people can go listen there? Or does it need to be done via the site for reasons I don't know about?

Flanders I'm still all for it though.

You could do it through YouTube, but I think it'd be easier to have it hosted from GA. That way you can download a simple mp3 file, which will be playable on most devices. Not to mention the fact that if it's hosted here, GA has complete control over the distribution over the file. That in itself is a direct benefit over YouTube.

My head hurts, people are using to many words! XD

Nah, I know, recording ... don't know, I could try with my laptop. It's rather good quality.

I've got Skype already ... .

But I'm new to this so I gotta figure out a lot of things in the meantime. ^^

Hehehe, I know what you mean, there's a lot of stuff to take in. Still, here is a rough brakedown of what'll need to happen.

- We need to find a host (You've kinda hinted that you'd do that)

- The host will have to have the equipment and software needed to capture the audio. This will have to include audio from Skype, if there's two people at once

- The host will also have to edit and piece together the audio, and save it to a small, but decent quality mp3 file

- The file will then need to be sent to GA (for assumed moderation) before it can be hosted

- The file is live and can be downloaded

And that's pretty much it in its basic form. But of course I've missed out the most important part which is the content. Instinctively it would possibly be similar to the newsletter in that regard: Sneak peeks, Interviews, Latest GA news. But the better the content, the better the show will be.

Note that I'm still all for this idea/project, but there are many things that need to be done/thought about before anything will materialise.

Like Joe suggested, it might be beneficial to set up a separate forum for people interested in this idea, but if there will be little interest in a few weeks, then it will be flat on its face.

-I call Kevin to share his opinion in the matter!

I agree with what you're saying. It will be hard enough to get something like this off the ground, but to keep it going with new content all the time, now that will be the hard part!

But it's good that GA could host the files without too much strain on the server. That's make things easier if this project goes through.

You could do it through YouTube, but I think it'd be easier to have it hosted from GA. That way you can download a simple mp3 file, which will be playable on most devices. Not to mention the fact that if it's hosted here, GA has complete control over the distribution over the file. That in itself is a direct benefit over YouTube.

Hehehe, I know what you mean, there's a lot of stuff to take in. Still, here is a rough brakedown of what'll need to happen.

- We need to find a host (You've kinda hinted that you'd do that)

- The host will have to have the equipment and software needed to capture the audio. This will have to include audio from Skype, if there's two people at once

- The host will also have to edit and piece together the audio, and save it to a small, but decent quality mp3 file

- The file will then need to be sent to GA (for assumed moderation) before it can be hosted

- The file is live and can be downloaded

And that's pretty much it in its basic form. But of course I've missed out the most important part which is the content. Instinctively it would possibly be similar to the newsletter in that regard: Sneak peeks, Interviews, Latest GA news. But the better the content, the better the show will be.

Note that I'm still all for this idea/project, but there are many things that need to be done/thought about before anything will materialise.

Like Joe suggested, it might be beneficial to set up a separate forum for people interested in this idea, but if there will be little interest in a few weeks, then it will be flat on its face.

-I call Kevin to share his opinion in the matter!

First things first, find a host.

The host ... I just found out my voice is very soft and flat when I record it, wich is not the case in real life. So if other ppl would like to do the talking I'm all for it. Though I will be trying out our 2 cameras as well, hopefully they make me sound decent. :) But like I said, anyone who feels like doing it, is welcome. And Skype connects the world, so it also connects our continents! :D no need for the hosts to live in the same timezone ;)

I'm gonna check out the cameras later today and see what they give me. :)

Theres a site just for uploading podcasts to called http://www.podomatic.com/ and on it you can get your own page and all that stuff. Of course they try and make you pay more to go pro but my friend used to get thousands of listens a week on his and he never needed to upgrade so I guess that'd be ok.

Good luck with whatever this project turns into!

Theres a site just for uploading podcasts to called http://www.podomatic.com/ and on it you can get your own page and all that stuff. Of course they try and make you pay more to go pro but my friend used to get thousands of listens a week on his and he never needed to upgrade so I guess that'd be ok.

Good luck with whatever this project turns into!

Thanks a lot, I'll definitly check it out! :D

Ok, peeps.

On moderators advice this will now be discussed privately. To not make the others mad ... you know, we love everyone up here (kinda). :D

So send me a PM about whatever concernce this topic! (or mail me at: gif@live.be)