Is prostate cancer an STD?

MikeL

The current issue of the National Cancer Institute Bulletin contains a report on the recent discovery of a previously unknown virus which appears to have a link to the most aggressive forms of prostate cancer. Early studies indicate that the xenotropic murine leukemia virus-related virus (XMRV) clones itself and positions itself next to the growth promoting gene of each cell in a tumor. This indicates that some forms of the cancer may be caused by the infection of a single cell. If the virus is found to be transmitted from person to person by seminal and cervical fluids, the best prevention method may safe sex practices.

It will be some time before studies are complete and it is known for sure if XMRV causes, or is a marker for, prostate cancer. If it does, a simple blood test could be the first that would identify aggressive cancers which require treatment. Unnecessary treatment of less aggressive cancers may then be avoided.

Wow, that's interesting. This is a subject close to my heart at the moment. Someone I care about a lot is under ivestigation and we are waiting to see what the verdict is.

My best wishes for your friend. I hope he will be found free of cancer or will, at the very least, not require treatment. From personal experience, I can tell you the whole process can be long and unsettling for those diagnosed with the disease.

There has been a deep suspicion that viruses have some relationship to cancer dating back to the discovery of viruses. Scientists are only just now getting the tools and technology to figure out how it works.

It seems that some viruses damage chromosomes in a very specific way when they invade a cell to take over its machinery to replicate itself. The theory makes a lot of sense because the virus is going to attack specific cells in specific ways and explains how many cancers seem to appear out of nowhere.

My best wishes for your friend. I hope he will be found free of cancer or will, at the very least, not require treatment. From personal experience, I can tell you the whole process can be long and unsettling for those diagnosed with the disease.

Thanks. It already is. But we are staying hopeful that it won't be cancer.

Since this topic involves an area of the male human body, be sure to check out EmulatedLoves Fall Anthology entry Neoplasia. It's the story of a teen going thru the turmoil of Testicular Cancer.

Thanks for bringing this story to out attention, Jan. It is a very good story...touching and informative...and exceptionally well written. Testicular cancer tends to strike young men in their teens and twenties while prostate cancer is largely found in older men. Everyone needs to be aware of both diseases and of the warning signs for each. Emulated Love's story seems to be very accurate in it's depiction of testicular cancer diagnosis and treatment.

• 1 month later...

I find it so ironic that more cancer research results are coming out of HIV research, and the HIV researchers are still having to beg for money to continue the research toward more pure HIV research.

Most people with AIDS do not die of AIDS. They die of infection of something else because their bodies can not fight off the infection or invasion of something else because of the HIV. Sometimes the HIV virus attacks certain parts of the body, but usually as I understand it, the HIV allows other things to attack parts of the body.

Louisiana Writer.

Nobody with HIV dies of it. It is always some opportunistic infection which kills the infected. Evolutionarily, this makes HIV an 'ideal' disease (if a disease kills it's host it has less chance to 'reproduce'). Otherwise apart from some minorly innaccurate science your post was spot on :).

Viruses can definitely cause cancer. HPV causes cervical cancer - there was a big controversy when a vaccine for HPV was announced. Led by.. surprise surprise.. the catholic church - they said it would encourage promiscuity.