[J. Ross] Pulling the Plug

Would you?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. If your son or lover were in a coma, would you...

• Pull the plug if they had been in a coma for a long time
    • I wouldn't ever pull the plug. Not ever. No matter what.Like Conner right now, I wouldn't know how to let go.
    • I don't know what I'd do...
  2. 2. If your partner or loved one is not on breathing machines but is on feeding tubes would you

• Still ain't pulling the plug. Not ever.
    • It's cruel, but I'd tell the doctors to remove the plugs and sit there for the next 72 hours until they were gone.
    • I'd try and find another way.
    • I don't know what I'd do.
  3. 3. I think...

• This poll sucks. You should have never started it.
    • I just don't know. It's a lot to think about.

So reading Jordan's new story has gotten me to thinking. I'm curious, what would people do if their son or lover or a loved one in general was in a coma for an extremely long time.

I know it's impossible to place a price tag on another human being's life, especially when they are a loved one, but I'm thinking about the fact that, this entire time that Justin is lying in that bed, the hospital bills are piling up. To me, sooner or later his parents are going to have to make a choice. But even more importantly, we haven't seen it yet, but how is this entire situation effecting them. We see what it's doing to Conner. Are they faring any better. Do they not come and see Justin...

Ooh...Double post in another thread. Maybe.

Edited by Linxe Termoil
  • Like 1

So reading Jordan's new story has gotten me to thinking. I'm curious, what would people do if their son or lover or a loved one in general was in a coma for an extremely long time.

I know it's impossible to place a price tag on another human being's life, especially when they are a loved one, but I'm thinking about the fact that, this entire time that Justin is lying in that bed, the hospital bills are piling up. To me, sooner or later his parents are going to have to make a choice. But even more importantly, we haven't seen it yet, but how is this entire situation effecting them. We see what it's doing to Conner. Are they faring any better. Do they not come and see Justin...

Ooh...Double post in another thread. Maybe.

B).............. It is written into my will and living will, pull the plug, do not resuscitate

B).............. It is written into my will and living will, pull the plug, do not resuscitate

Interesting. I don't have a will. Don't have a living will either. I have however made it very clear to my mother that if something like that were to happen, then she was to have the plugs pulled. I think that conversation came about on a night when I was drunk. Interesting.

Interesting. I don't have a will. Don't have a living will either. I have however made it very clear to my mother that if something like that were to happen, then she was to have the plugs pulled. I think that conversation came about on a night when I was drunk. Interesting.

B)........... Yep, as we are talking right now I have a pain in my chest, I've it before so I think it is just bidding the time here.

• Site Administrator

I've faced this with an elderly family member and with patients of my own. Young people, older people, mindless, cognizant... it's hard. I DO NOT want to ever be kept alive on life support. I don't have a living will but I have told every single family member I have that would be involved in those decisions that fact. In my husband's family there have been a lot of medical folk so when his grandfather was on support and we faced this decision as a family every single one of us said goodbye with sad hearts but we all agreed. The person lying in the bed is not the family member we knew and keeping them alive would be wrong. So often people on life support that don't get better after a few days just get worse. Add in infections, sores, pain... there really is no good outcome.

That being said, I don't agree with starvation as a way of death. It can take weeks that route if the person is not being kept alive on a breathing machine, which is what I think the poll meant to say. There would need to be another way, a more humane way. The biggest thing would not be letting it get to that point, imo. That's where making sure you have a concrete plan for yourself and making sure those who would be facing the decision in your stead know it is crucial. How I live is up to me, if I can not say at the moment I need to that I wish to live or die I want those I love making that hard choice knowing I would support them letting me go. I wouldn't want to leave my family behind to face the pain seeing me in that condition would bring them.