What is Parkour??

(Written by Mark Toorock Monday, 12 October 2009 06:08 )

Parkour is the physical discipline of training to overcome any obstacle within one's path by adapting one's movements to the environment.

• Parkour requires... consistent, disciplined training with an emphasis on functional strength, physical conditioning, balance, creativity, fluidity, control, precision, spatial awareness, and looking beyond the traditional use of objects.
  • Parkour movements typically include... running, jumping, vaulting, climbing, balancing, and quadrupedal movement. Movements from other physical disciplines are often incorporated, but acrobatics or tricking alone do not constitute parkour.
  • Parkour training focuses on... safety, longevity, personal responsibility, and self-improvement. It discourages reckless behavior, showing off, and dangerous stunts.
  • Parkour practitioners value... community, humility, positive collaboration, sharing of knowledge, and the importance of play in human life, while demonstrating respect for all people, places, and spaces.
-------------------

So, with that being said. Anyone esle do Parkour?

I would love to do parkour, or free running, if only I were 20 years younger. It's not even so much the physical part, but I'm just too cautious now, and don't have that fearlessness of a 20-something or teenager. I think it's really cool to watch, though.

That looked pretty reasonable. I think I could handle most of it, with the possible exception of the going upside down on the rings that he did near the beginning.

When they show people doing the really advanced stuff on TV, it can be intimidating, and it's easy to forget you have to start somewhere!