A New Billboard campaign in Richmond VA

ricky

Gay awareness has waned as so many brothers and sisters were lost in the onrush of aids. The last time Richmond ran this billboard program in 1977 many chose to come out and be counted. They chose to come out and lead. Our numbers grew substantially and new organizations sprouted.

Some may learn something, some will never. But as we know, win one person over and they represent 300 over time that will be more aware. As each person talks to others about the issue.

It is especially important in this election year. We need to appear larger so that those still not comfortable being out are recognized in the math of it. I'm sure the demographics people have a number for it. Every person out represents X number of people still closeted.

More importantly, many youth also saw it and felt like they were no longer alone. That makes a huge difference when your hormones are lying to you as you struggle to figure things out.

If you're interested contact the GCCR or gayrichmond.com and perhaps you can save money on the artwork or on posting in your own area. I'm sure they will share the information. This one will be posted on Interstate 95 in Richmond VA and will be seen by tens of thousands who commute daily.

Give it some thought. Billboard space can be pretty cheap and reaches thousands.

Posted Image

Or maybe one that says,

Does your school have a GSA?

And give the : http://www.gaystraightalliance.org/

Think about it. The location and demand for the space controls the price. The ones with "Your message here" are desperate for advertisers and should be rented for a song. And if it is a non-profit organization then you may also get a break.

Call and ask. Make a difference!

(I am not affiliated with any organizations listed above other than being gay and supporting what they stand for. But I do not speak for any of them. Just for myself. I thought this idea warranted some notice. Especially if it can save a young boy or girl's life.)

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

I am shocked this was up, especially in the richmond area.

Remember that this is a "repeat" of the program they did in 1977 so this isn't the first time. But then again, the richmond lgbt center has never been subdued.

Posted Image

Posted Image

And it can be seen right next to the freeway. In fact, it is such a large complex that you can't help but see it.

Posted Image

This is flying in front of the Federal Reserve Bank in Richmond.

Article relating to the picture above.

We're not shy in Richmond 0:). . . much. :*) :whistle:

• Like 1