Health Insurance Question

hh5

I am considering shutting down my individual health insurance because I don't have a job.

Even if i could continue to afford the insurance I could not take care of the 3000 Deductable any way plus they have a Exclusionary Rider on my NF (this different that PreExisting Condition)

The only benefit to having insurance is its like a discount club. You are insured against the Cash Price.

I been told by sales that if I had a health issue that falls under the Exclus Rider, I would pay the Discounted Health Costs and avoid the Cash Cost.

I like to know if there are issues for canceling Indiv health insurance?

Like if I got a job and they offer their worker insurance group, would there be a problem?

Like if I wanted to go back on Indiv Health Ins, what would be the problem?

etc

lol, The New Health Care is still far away like two years but then that will be another issue\question.

Any response be thankful to help me understand my choices?

Insurance companies negotiate a discount cost from providers. The cost they start with is the uninsured price, the highest they charge.

Most likely, if you got a job with health insurance coverage, you would be insured without any issue, even if you had cancelled your coverage previously. If you cancelled your coverage, then tried to get another individual policy, you might have some difficulty, or be subjected to a physical exam before they offered to cover you.

You might consider looking for a less expensive individual policy. Minimal coverage can still get you admitted to a hospital, where no coverage at all might keep you out. When I went to the hospital, my insurance was billed first. Since I hadn't satisfied my deductible, the hospital then billed me. But I had already been admitted, and I took my time paying that bill.

If you look for an individual policy, talk to an independent insurance agent. The agent won't be an employee of the insurance company, and may offer several different policies from several companies. Then you can choose the option that's best for you.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the response ... I changed to a non new health care plan ... up the requirements to like a 20yo ... got the insurance rate down to 165/month

that more than 1/2 off ... so what i would pay this year would cover two years .. that will get me into 2014 ... then see what happens when the new health care is in effect ... hopefully i be employed before then but one never knows ...

but the question what will happen to 50 million plus 14 million long term unemployed?

The gov't should take the fundamental approach to getting all 64million people back to work ...

because thats much more revenue for having more tax payers

but of course if you do that ... then the ppl will start to think later .. what do we need gov't for

crazy paradigm - but to millions ... its a bad price to pay for that .. n the same goes to every tax payer

the same thing that happens in any insurance ... how much we pay for the uninsured motorist

but the question what will happen to 50 million plus 14 million long term unemployed?

Erm, so what does happen to the "50 million plus 14 million long term unemployed" in the US with no health insurance and no savings if they need healthcare for something serious, for example:

- dialysis?

- medication for angina?

- an appendectomy?

- heart attack?

- emergency admission to hospital?

Edited by Zombie

i dunno ... what insurance companies n gov't will be doing

but its always about fighting the system ... usurp the fed gov't HC bill ... for profit ...

the bad capitalistic reaction ... to good will ... management of resources

the fight for corporate health care ... there are so many evils in the health care system

social medicine ... that be bad business ...

good business - its sell the cures ... like "The Rainmaker"

but to us needing care who are poor n LTU ... its death n taxes ... the theme

i am open on more answers to zombie question .. i'm sure there is more to learn

Erm, so what does happen to the "50 million plus 14 million long term unemployed" in the US with no health insurance and no savings if they need healthcare for something serious, for example:

- dialysis?

- medication for angina?

- an appendectomy?

- heart attack?

- dialysis?

- medication for angina?

- an appendectomy?

- heart attack?

Dialysis is usually covered by Medicare, either through disability coverage or attained age.

Unfortunately the rest of Zombie's list means the person with no medical coverage will turn to the emergency room at the local hospital and the hospital and doctors are likely to be unpaid and have to raise rates for everyone with insurance or who can afford to pay.

Colin B)

Interesting about state gov attacking the "Everyone must have health insurance"

But does anyone ask themselves what's happening in the current system

Think about it our current health or car insurance

* We're paying for the uninsured ... yeah the one's that goes to the ER or the guy that decided to avoid carrying insurance.

* Those are the ones that help increase the cost of insurance

Population...........: 314m

Health (Covered).: 250m

Health (Not, HCB): 50m

Health (Not, LTU).: 14m

(Hopefully all homeless are counted)

64/250 => that's 25.6% extra cost paid by 250m ppl.

so that's like $7,000 per person cost could cost $5,250 person

I sure like to have car insurance come down that much too.

Last years grandfather insurance plan went up 21%. No one tells us why?

There is a lot of abuse in the insurance industry.

It means we have to pay for such things like hunting down uninsured motorist, insurance fraud, etc. Its the cost that's pass on to us.

so yeah ... how is the 64m ppl paid for? well if its 5250 pp => 336 billion or if 3750 pp=> 240 billion

314 million x 3750 => 1,178 billion per year est according to NHCB

Lets say HC cost like 1,300 billion

Sure the issue of NHCB is that it adds and subtracts things to our current healthcare system which I am not going to list.

But I bet there are items that it doesn't address ... but I bet sooner or later they will be address.

No one checked if this fight in the court is being funded by interest groups like insurance, medical companies, etc?

Its those interest groups that comes to us and tell us what we all fear about while they insure their profit margins.

Its the same excuse with the OIL ... we never done anything about it because of interest groups.

Last year the oil industry went trough a hearing but nothing was done about speculators

No one kept those investors out of speculating from a natural resource that is limited.

The ones that make us pay them to get rich because the resource is limited.

I am not sure if insurance industry has anything like this. I sure like to hear what form it takes?

HH5 - while this thread started in a normal manner, asking questions and soliciting advice on your own situation, it has now morphed into a political debate and so I am closing the thread. If you have any additional questions ABOUT YOUR OWN situation that you want help with, feel free to open a new thread but if you are interested in debating the system and/or expressing thoughts on it, please open a new thread in the Soapbox.