Open Club  ·  73 members  ·  Free

C James Fan Club

spacex-cargo-ship-blasts-off-to-international-space-station-in-nasas-f

How much of it is achievable? Let's start with what's already been done; ULA's Atlas 5 has been flying for years. SpaceX and Dragon have flown, and could carry astronauts today. (they only lack a launch-phase powered-abort system, which shuttle never had, so there's no reason they couldn't fly astronauts today. Plus, they should have the powered abort system within 2 years.)

At the opposite end of the scale, ATK's Liberty is smoke and mirrors, and will probably soon be forgotten (It's the Ares 1 with a fancy paint job, but still the same awful design).

The rest? My guess is they range between 4 years and never. Dream Chaser is a favorite of mine, but I have doubts regarding their business plan and vehicle design. I hope I'm wrong.

lol, dream chaser looks like the craft that Steve Austin the bionic man was riding in

if it crashes just like it .. we be creating reason for a cyborg program lol

lift off of that craft would be like the model rocketry show I seen

ever seen a tiki hut go up to 10,000 feet?

The crash seen in the opening credits of the Six Million Dollar Man was actually real; it was a Northrop lifting body prototype, air dropped from a plane for a glide test. Later flights used a rocket boost after air drop.

The Dream Chaser is a somewhat similar design - and is partially based on the early Northrop designs from the 60's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

whats the story behind this Thoikol SRB ... was it ever suppose to replace the challenger SRB?

looks nicer than the one for the shuttle?

farmfront.jpg

Angelia Jolie paid 200,000 for a seat to ride this thing

drop_jets.jpg

SLS looks like they are using thoikol SRB Saturn 5 and current sat delivery system

why should this all cost so much recycling technologies?

lol, if a junk yard company just put this together and launch it ... wouldn't cost much less?

SLS_configurations.png

Often, adapting old systems for use in a new system costs more than starting over. The SLS SRB is a 5 1/2 segment design, on Shuttle it was 4. That might not sound like much, but it's a major, major redesign. It also keeps the flaws inherent in the old design, such as segmented fuel and casing (without which the O rings that failed on Challenger would not have existed). The reason they need a segmented design? So it'll fit through railroad tunnels in the Rockies. If it wasn't built so far from the launch site, this would not be an issue. 

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..