[David McLeod] Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about ...

Welcome to my world. More accurately, welcome to my worlds:

-- the World of George of Sedona and his boyfriends Arthur, Gary, and Larry, a world where magical energy is exchanged during sex and where love shared is love multiplied; where Good and Evil are real and tangible; and where humans, elves, dwarves, and dragons fight side-by-side in a forever war.

-- the World of Nemesis and others of the old Gods whose mission is to rescue abused and thrown-away children and to save the world and humanity from self-destruction.

-- the other Worlds that occasionally touch these, and one another.

-- the world in which I am, for the moment, in remission and have enough energy and mental focus to write what I know about the other worlds. I do not know how long this will last. Neither do the doctors. I am, however, happy with what I have, and happy that I am so much better off than so many others. (Awkwardly, I'm trying to say I'm not asking for sympathy, not trying to tug your heartstrings: save that for those who really need it.)

I invite you to join me in this forum topic for discussions, questions, comments, and idea exchanges about any of these stories. There are many other topics in this forum, but I cannot monitor all of them.

Thank you.

David

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I've posted a new chapter to "Refuge." It's a continuation of the story of Paul and Bryan that began this theme, and ties into Richard and Zhang, from "Protector of Children." It will lead us to something new and different, I hop. Please let me know what you think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There were a few anachronisms in the latest "Protector of Children" story ("Lucas and Mark" or "Mark and Lucas," I'm not sure--that's how bad my memory problems are) that were pointed out by an astute reader. Many thanks for that!

How many of you remember the comic strip, "Shoe"? Is it still around? I remember one strip in which one of the birds claims he has everything he needs to be a great writer: a typewriter, a ream of paper, and the belief that he has talent. (Yes, my child, that was before the advent of word processing software and the internet.) Sometimes I wonder: am I a writer or merely someone with a word processor and an internet link?

My most recent offerings, the "Nemesis," "Protector of Children," and "Refuge" stories, are considerably and deliberately different from the original "dungeons and dragons" format of "George of Sedona" and its spin-offis, and (I hope) somewhat more sophisticated than "Pilots" and "Recoil." But, how do I know? This "vibrant writing community" once offered worthwhile feedback. Now, I feel like a contributor to Nifty, begging for comments.

Is it the subject matter? If so, what specifically are you afraid of? references to pedophelia? non-standard views of politics and religion? what? Inquiring minds want to know.

David 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to a couple of astute readers who took the time to contact me, some anachronisms in "Protector of Children" have been identified and, I hope, corrected. I used to criticize "Star Trek" for using time travel to get them out of an impossible situation. However, it appears that time travel has become my deus ex machina. The folks who contributed to this, M and B, seem to want to remain anonymous, but they and I know who they are.

Thank you!

David

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The readers, authors, editors, and beta readers of this site have for years given unstintingly of their advice, comments, encouragement, and ideas.

I recently found an editor/beta reader who's not a member, but is an intelligent, educated, and perceptive reader. I can't acknowledge her as an editor or beta reader because she's not a site member, but I do want to acknowledge Mary and her encouragement, ideas, and thoughts.

I've recently listed Brendan as an editor. He's a member, so I could do that. He, too, has been of invaluable help.

Thank you, both!

David

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the Luddite heritage strikes again, and I can't figure out how to add Brendan and Mary as Beta Readers/Editors for the most recent chapter of Protector of Children. Sigh. I hope they'll accept my apology, and that all of you will understand the inestimable contribution they have made.

David