"Stronger Than Lions" Review

Comicality

"The week my mother died a white lion had escaped from the zoo and prowled

the streets of the suburbs for four days, gripping the city in an electric

hold of fear and excitement. "

That's not a spoiler. That is actually the first sentence of the story, "Stronger Than Lions". Talk about intriguing readers right off the bat. I'm already locked in! Let's see what this story has to offer, right?

I can honestly say that this is a story that I'm proud to recommend to anyone looking to involve themselves in something new. It's sweet, it's totally believable, and it's different from what I'm used to seeing on Nifty. It stands out as something truly special, and considering that this the author's first time submitting something online...I'd say this is the beginning of even better things to come.

"Stronger Then Lions" is a story about Caleb Macleod, a teenage boy in his last year of high school in South Africa, who's mother has recently passed away from cancer. While just trying to struggle through being slightly different at school, bullied by bigger and stronger menaces like Frank Arliss and his swim team showoff Jason, Caleb seems to keep a bit of his heart at all times. Even when it can be so very hard to do so.

However, it's when a new teen troublemaker from out of town comes to his high school that things begin to make a turn for the better. Blond haired, green eyed, Chris Hathaway steps into the picture. Well built, gorgeous, sweet beyond words...he is written as the definitive dream boy. And with just enough of an adorable geeky side to relate to Caleb in a way that most others cannot. (Thumbs up for the 'Watchmen' reference too! I LOVE that book!) What goes on from there is a truly engaging and heartwarming story between the two boys. A really cute relationship begins to build, and the whole story sucks you right in. I'm still reading more chapters, but I'm excited to see what happens next.

I think the Chris character is seriously loveable! He's comforting, and witty, and there's just something really magnetic about the way he's written. When Caleb says that he feels 'safe' with Chris...I also feel safe with Chris. Even when danger lurks around the corner. The darker parts of the story are emotional, but not depressing. The dialogue is realistic and flows well. Caleb's friends Rob and Bella are great, the parents are well written. For a first time writer, I'm truly impressed.

If I HAD to nitpick about anything in what I've read so far, I would say that the author might think about narrowing his cast of characters a bit more. I say that because I felt like a bunch of names and characters were kind of being tossed my way at once in the first two chapters. As a reader, if I see a character with an actual 'name' and description, I tend to file it away in the back of my memory just in case I need to remember that person for later. And it's realistic for people to know a ton of people in high school, but I felt a little overwhelmed a few times. 'Do I need to remember this guy, or that guy, or this teacher, or this person's girlfriend'? So I have to read further, but I would personally narrow the story down to five or six really strong characters and go from there.

Other than that, "Stronger Than Lions" is a really enjoyable read! The writing is descriptive, well thought out, and laced with a really cool sense of wit that made me smile the whole way through. You guys can find it on Nifty at http://www.nifty.org/nifty/gay/highschool/stronger-than-lions/ and see for yourself! Send the author some feedback, and let him know what you think! K?

Best of luck to you, Sean! And keep writing! :)