Dissertation - Volunteer Request

Dear All

Being a gay man who is the son of lesbian parents I very much wanted to dedicate my undergraduate thesis to them. As such I am conducting research into the lived experiences of lesbian or gay parents, exploring the ontology behind parental identity in planned parents. For some of the public, being gay or lesbian remains synonymous with childlessness and this should no longer be the case. An ever growing number of gay and lesbian couples are becoming parents through adoption, surrogacy or sperm dononation. This is not a new phenomenon as I was part of the 'lesbian baby boom' of the late 1980's early 1990's. It is however becoming more of a focus in the public eye in the previous few years and i'm sure this subsequent decade. Due to being based in London, I am actively looking for voulnteers in or near the London area. It is specifically looking at gay or lesbian planned parents. The research would take the form of an hour long based interview exploring the topics of family, partnerships, lgbt community and lastly parenthood. If you would like to know more or have any questions about myself or the research please do not hesitate to ask, I'd be glad to answer any questions here or through the pm system.

As a bit of background about myself I am a 3rd year undergraduate student studying psychology & counselling, I also hope this to be one of my future areas of research in my post-graduate work.

Was amused by the 'this is not a new phenomenon' comment - mainly due to the fact that it has only been through recent social changes (over the last 30-ish years) has such family combinations been readily accepted. But then I'm probably looking at it with 20-20 hindsight :)

Best of luck with the whole project, by the way. I doubt Attitude would take an article on it, but maybe you could generate some interest by trying to get an article into GT about it. Who knows what that might turn up.

• Like 1