If You're Only 20-Something, Stop Bitching About Being Old

methodwriter85

These kinds of messages have always been a bit confusing to me.  As I'm sure we've all noticed, in this video, there is a massive equivocation of the concept of 'old' between the elderly folks and the younger group. I almost want to contend that they really aren't talking about the same thing at all, and that there are two, completely unrelated, discussions happening in the video.  But even if we give the video the benefit of the doubt and treat the two conversations as congruent, it still leaves us in a dubious position.  I think what the video neglects to touch on is that growing older, for 'young' people, can be a psychologically/philosophically arduous journey…perhaps even more turbulent than the current plight of those elderly folks.  

Additionally, as a side note, this observation about 'old' isn't unique.  I hear things like this all the time from self-righteous, sanctimonious people: 'how can you be complaining about hunger or pain when you're not living in South Sudan?!' (hyperbolized for emphasis).  Please. Maybe someone can enlighten me here, but I'm not sure why my pain or hunger ought to be any less just because someone else is suffering more.  It's not either/or. We can feel pain or hunger (or old, in this case) and simultaneously acknowledge those that are in more pain, or hungrier, or older.  The video seems to indicate that, unless you're on the threshold of old-aged death, you have no right to any sort of potentially meaningful self reflection. 

Yeah, I getcha

Remember about 2 years ago this well-off couple got some media attention when the husband made this melodramatic internet rant about their sub-satisfactory $300K household income? The reactions were, as you can guess, overwhelmingly negative and largely eye-rolling. I suppose in the couple's own world, they can justifiably feel impoverished given their living standards and expectations obviously exceed what $300K could bring them, why didn't anybody empathize? Should they have? I think perspective is what's being driven here. 

I think the circumstantial spectrum of fitness is pretty similar...the many conventionally "fit" dudes or skinny girls complaining of feeling fat when the bulk of the population are disgustingly out of shape creates similar societal sentiments. Again perspective and personal expectations.

I don't know...there's nothing really "wrong" with thinking 1 way or another, but I think with better perspectives, people can just be happier..and that's ultimately the goal

Edited by Y_B

• 2 weeks later...

I don't get it myself.  I'm not a teen any more, but I don't see myself as old.  I don't have teeth that I can take out, I'm not wrinkled, I'm not tired, my hair isn't grey, I can run up stairs, I can see everything for miles and I have no issues with my erectile function.  As far as I can tell, the older I get the better I am at everything I do.   The only thing that seems to be different now than when I was a kid is there's less time to do all the stuff I want to.

The truth is I don't care about getting old.  I don't think I'm old now, and when I do get old I'm still going to celebrate my birthday.  I've got a lot of time to go before I get old, so why worry about it now?  There's too many things to do and I need all the time I have to do them.  The getting old thing will just have to wait it's turn!

• Like 2

My dad passed on at the age of 77, never having "grown up".  His body failed him in many ways at the end, a stroke had slowed his mobility and robbed him of speach for his last 10 years, but that hardly changed his outlook. He just went a little slower to get to where he wanted to be.  Now in my mid 50's I think I understand his outlook much better than I did when I was a young adult.and used to tell him to act his age. He never did and told me that growing old was unavoidable, but growing up was optional. He enjoyed every last minute he had on this earth, and I intend to do the same thing!  Don't let yourselves get old before your time! It is entirely in your outlook!

• Like 1