Okay, so I'm not the only one who hates Jade.  Seth is a much better friend to Dorian, and is doing what Jade thinks she's doing.  It's telling that Dorian tells Seth the truth about Jerry and Wes, and about the rest of the crap in his life.

I liked Vicky, and thought her advice was really insightful.  In her place, I probably would have raised doubts about Mike's fidelity (it's interesting that David connects to Alex's situation and not Felix's). 

Jade annoyed the crap out of me. At the same time, there can be a place for friends like that in your life. They give you a bit of an extreme that you can use to know whether you are being rational or not - if you are thinking like them, chances are you are in trouble, lol. But their passion can be a gift as well, if they can give you unflinching support when you need it most. You just have to know how to take the beast by the reins.

I'm glad you liked Vicky. At this point, David doesn't have any remote suspicion of even the possibility that Mike could be cheating. He has faith in his partner, at least from that angle. So, he doesn't have any real reason to connect to Felix's situation. It's more of an evaluation of Alex's lies. If what he was saying about Felix working too much and not meeting his needs at home was actually true and not just smoke and mirrors to try and make Felix out to be the guilty party, then it gives David something to worry about. He is beyond certain he would never do to Mike what Alex did to Felix, but there is a niggling fear lodged there because of the situation with Rain, I think. David may be (subconsciously or not, since he doesn't say it directly) wondering if his feelings for Rain stem directly from feeling neglected and are his subconscious guiding him to a way out - a grass is greener vision. He doesn't like that. He fears that, fears what it might do to him if things continue downhill between he and Mike.

Oh man I hope I'm not spoiling any thoughts that may come out in the next chapter... maybe they will. Oh well, if so you guys just get a small piece of preview. :P

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Shattering Chapter 9 is posted. David is pushing himself towards something, but how will that play out?

God, that chapter took way longer to finish than I thought it would. I got most of the way through it and then the well dried up. The worst thing is that I knew where I wanted to go. The car was just stuck in the mud with the tires spinning. Oh well... time to get going on Chapter 10. Well, after aikido class that is. :P

• Like 2

Apologies, skinny, if I was reading into that comment too much, but I'd like to ask you guys if you think my chapters are getting too long. I wouldn't make them any longer than they are already (the longest are capping out at around 9k words), but should I be aiming more for the 5-6k range? Smaller? 

Lol, stuff like this makes me have a ton of respect for Cia and her short-chaptered weeklies (1k word limit? Yeesh...). They don't always completely work as standalone chapters with the word limitation, but more often then not she manages to pack in a lot in a little space. 

That's not to say that I can't write smaller chapters. Running for Home, my other story publishing right now, has the opposite. I started beefing up chapters from what I had originally written because I was releasing them weekly and a 300 word chapter isn't going to capture anyone's interest once a week. Or maybe it would? *shrug*

Edited by lux_apollo
  • Like 1

I think your chapter lengths are OK, the important part is to round off what ever theme you're dealing with, in a proper manner. Don't feel you have to fill out a chapter to make it the same 9K size, but don't chop it in two if it's a coherent whole.

• Like 1

Oh I am definitely not expanding chapters with extra material to fill up more space. What has been happening, instead, is chopping things down and separating material into other chapters. I've had to make David introspective and reflective twice now so that I could both move forward and still cover at least the basics of what events and feelings were cut out of the previous chapter. I suspect that will be happening a lot as I move forward and the characters make demands on me for more attention to this or that. Callum, for example, wasn’t originally part of the story but I think he will have an interesting influence on David down the line... ;)

Edited by lux_apollo
  • Like 1

Reply from lux_apollo (author)

Dude, a little angry tonight? :huh:

I think you need to give Brady and Mike a little more credit.

LOL, yeah, I guess I did rant over the top this time. Maybe you hit a sore spot, but Brady's betrayal really pissed me off. He'll need to make amends big time, before he earns my forgiving for that slap in the face comment about family. He should know what that will do to David's already shaky self-worth. And before you say Brady doesn't know about David being vulnerable rigth now, that's only a further example of how much he is failing as a friend. :pissed:

Edited by Timothy M.
  • Like 1

LOL, yeah, I guess I did rant over the top this time. Maybe you hit a sore spot, but Brady's betrayal really pissed me off. He'll need to make amends big time, before he earns my forgiving for that slap in the face comment about family. He should know what that will do to David's already shaky self-worth. And before you say Brady doesn't know about David being vulnerable rigth now, that's only a further example of how much he is failing as a friend. :pissed:

I'm certain Brady knows how out of the loop he is; I think he has some suspicions about David in relation to past behaviours but he's clearly dropped the ball. Friendships are a two-way street after all. Brady knows he fucked up when he put his foot in his mouth about family. He's got some work to do, that's for sure. I guess the question is how much work is it going to take for David to forgive that?

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Sorry about the lack of a new chapter. Between the move, the beginning of the new semester, and just emotional rundown I haven't had enough inspiration to write. Hopefully I'll have the boys' date ready for you to read by the end of this week...

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Apologies for the delay, friends and readers. I've been dealing with a depressive episode and it's pretty much killed my inspiration and my energy levels are tanked. Just getting through work is about all I can handle right now. I think there is some light on the horizon, so hopefully I will have this next chapter finished in time for Canadian Thanksgiving. Hopefully. I appreciate your patience.

Apologies for the delay, friends and readers. I've been dealing with a depressive episode and it's pretty much killed my inspiration and my energy levels are tanked. Just getting through work is about all I can handle right now. I think there is some light on the horizon, so hopefully I will have this next chapter finished in time for Canadian Thanksgiving. Hopefully. I appreciate your patience.

No problem, buddy. Focus on getting past the rough patch, you need to take care of yourself first. :hug:

Amd you're not the only one not getting any writing done. :*) I don't even have a good excuse. :no:

• 3 months later...

So it's been forever. I should have made a post long ago apologizing and putting Shattering on hiatus. I was just too overwhelmed at work to continue to work on it at the same time and do a good job of things. I was too drained to write when I'd get home at night. If you are wondering how I managed to write Running for Home in that space but not Shattering, the truth of the matter is that Running for Home has been almost finished since I began posting it. It's only needed editing and fixes here and there (even though there are always more mistakes to find!). Thankfully, I'm done that job contract now and hopefully I can start posting chapters again in a few weeks. Wish me luck!

• Like 1

Well, I've been enjoying Running for Home so much, that you need not apologize for not posting any Shattering chapters. And anyway I've not done so well on my own stories either, so I'm not allowed to complain about other authors. I'll probably enjoy going back and start from the beginning in order to catch up on the story line.

• Like 1