Optical Illusions

Two Red Snakes

Motion 29 October 2016 No Comments Yet - Share Your Thoughts

The two snakes appear to be in motion even though this image is completely static.  This another terrific example of an anomalous motion illusion created by Professor Akiyosh Kitaoka.  His illusions are very popular on this site, primarily because he creates some of the best motion illusions in the business.

Two-Red-Snakes-590x422.jpg

(via Akiyoshi Kitaoka)

Find 11 Trout

Hidden Objects 18 October 2016 No Comments Yet - Share Your Thoughts

Try to find 11 trout in this hidden image wildlife painting by artist Steven Michael Gardner.  Look carefully as some are very easy to find while others are quite obscure.

11-Trout.jpg

If you get stuck, you can find the answer to this puzzle by clicking here.

sandrewn

(I did not find all of them)

Edited by sandrewn
  • Like 2

How often have you seen something and asked yourself, how did they do that? The following fall into that category, but this time we get to see the HOW. This artist Jordan Molina, is a masterful creator of illusion. Just watching them being drawn before my eyes, leaves me in awe of his skills.

327E65F400000578-0-image-a-6_14587635409

https://rumble.com/v30e2i-20-amazing-illusions-hand-art.html

sandrewn

Edited by sandrewn
The Chameleon

Animation, Trompe L'oeil 11 May 2015 0 Comments

Do you notice anything peculiar about this chameleon standing on a green branch?  Would you believe that it is actually not a chameleon at all?  Would you believe that it is made of two painted women?  Take a look at the image a bit closer and you can figure out exactly how this extraordinary body painting was done.

chameleon-body-painting-optical-illusion

Watching the animation of the chameleon walking below, you can begin to see how the two women are configured and painted to resemble the lizard.

chameleon-body-painting-optical-illusion

Johannes Stoetter and his assistant (Saphira) spent about four hours planning this project and then another six hours actually painting the two women featured.

(via Johannes Stoetter)

sandrewn

(this has to be one of my favorites)

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

I really don't know if I could get used to a floor/floors like this at home.

Amazing 3D Floors

Anamorphosis 18 January 2016 0 Comments

If you want to impress visitors to your home or are looking for a unique flooring idea, then you might want to consider 3D epoxy floor painting.  In the example below, created by Imperial Interiors (a design company serving Dubai and the United Arab Emirates), a bathroom floor has been transformed into waves washing onto a sandy beach.  While this type of flooring would probably not work in everyone’s home, I would think that it could be quite interesting in a hotel, restaurant, or maybe even a vacation home.

3D-Floor-1-600x567.jpg

Two additional 3D epoxy floor painting designs can be found below.

3D-Floor-2-600x375.jpg

3D-Floor-3-600x386.jpg

(via Imperial Interiors)

sandrewn

(that last one would really bother me)

Edited by sandrewn
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

The following video was recently awarded the 1st prize for the 2016 Best Illusion of the year.

Motion Integration Unleashed Optical Illusion

Video 26 August 2016 0 Comments

The following video was recently awarded 1st prize for the 2016 Best Illusion of the Year Contest  This video was created by Mathew T. Harrison and Gideon P. Caplovitz from the University of Nevada Reno, USA.  They call the individual flickering dots “Gabors” and describe the effect as follows:

What do you think?  Do you think that this illusion was worthy of a Best Illusion of the Year award?

Here we show that configurations of drifting Gabors that are stationary can give rise to dramatic global motion percepts: a rotating square, oscillating chopsticks and rolling waves. Although the Gabors themselves are not changing position, the drifting motion within them causes the illusion that the entire configuration is moving!

What do you think?  Do you think that this illusion was worthy of a Best Illusion of the Year award?

sandrewn

(no, not really)

Edited by sandrewn
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...