Less than a week to submit 2024 Anthology Entries ×

Has Anyone Ever Remixed The Carpenters?

Former Member

Richard Carpenter's arrangements are exquisite, but kind of dated. I've always wondered what Karen's voice would sound like with a different, less dated background. Is it possible or is their signature multilayered, stacked, over-dubbed vocal tracks inseparable from the instrumentation?

I know others have recorded their songs in If I Were a Carpenter and on The Broken Hearts Club soundtrack. But otherwise, The Carpenters seem to have been relegated to mostly just another way for PBS to get more pledges from Baby Boomers. Their wide=spread influence is overlooked and dismissed by others because of their uncoolness.

If Tupac Shakur can sample someone like Bruce Hornsby in Changes (and E-40 in Things'll Never Change), what's kept others from sampling The Carpenters?

• 1 year later...

Most people I know who grew up listening to The Carpenters, such as my father, appreciate the fact that their music has not been spoiled, exploited, or tainted by unnecessary remixes or collaborations. I totally get where you're coming from with your post, but I personally like the fact that I get to listen to the beautiful voice of Karen without having to associate it with another music genre or musical artist. The Carpenters music stands on its own: it's pure, clean, magical, nostalgic, ethereal, and ageless. I wouldn't call it ageless, at all, but we can agree to disagree. I just like it the way that it is: to me, it's like a time machine which transports me to a time where I wasn't alive yet, and I get to experience sensations that were unknown to me all thanks to it. That's why I referred to it as "magical."

• Love 1