Gay English Literature - An Exquisite Case For The Freedom Of Speech

November 9, 1928: The Trial of Radclyffe Hall and Virginia Woolf’s Exquisite Case for the Freedom of Speech

“Writers produce literature, and they cannot produce great literature until they have free minds. The free mind has access to all knowledge and speculation of its age, and nothing cramps it like a taboo.”

I came across this article published online and found it very interesting. If you would like to read the whole thing, just click the link below:

https://www.brainpickings.org/2016/11/09/well-of-loneliness-trial-of-radclyffe-hall-virginia-woolf/

• Like 2

Whilst undeniably a true observation, Bennett also said this:

"The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours"

Alan Bennett.

• Like 3

Whilst undeniably a true observation, Bennett also said this:

"The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours"

Alan Bennett.

That is my favourite quote in the entire world. I use it often.

• Like 2

That is my favourite quote in the entire world. I use it often.

. . . I can attest to that :)  I had put off watching the History Boys film until I'd had a chance to read the play, but between the both of you, I clearly can't justify waiting any longer.

• Like 1

. . . I can attest to that :)  I had put off watching the History Boys film until I'd had a chance to read the play, but between the both of you, I clearly can't justify waiting any longer.

I greatly wish to one day see the play, but you must must must watch the film. It is so incredible. Also, the house I grew up in looks a lot like Posner's.