My youngest cousin and my younger niece were both adopted. My cousin is eleven years younger than me, so he was more like a nephew than a cousin. But during a certain period in the Eighties, we wrote to each other like we were pen pals. Even though we have always lived on opposite coasts, we are still close. Since my mother only had sisters, he is the only one to carry our maternal grandfather’s last name.

My younger brother had a funny story about how my niece kept crying when he went to pick her up at the orphanage. She exhausted herself crying so she was quiet on the long plane ride home. When I first met her, she was still refusing to be held by anyone other than my brother and his wife. I could see how desperately my other sister-in-law wanted to carry her. When she was a preteen, I remember hearing that her older brother had gotten an iPod and knew that she probably felt left out. So I gave her my old (original) iPod shuffle – she was so excited when she got it that she immediately went and replaced my carefully curated music with her own music without even thinking that there might be anything already on it!

I know that my parents considered adopting and even went so far as to asking us how my brothers and I felt. They ended up not pursuing the idea, but when they drew up their living trust decades later, they made sure to specify that any adopted grandchildren would be treated exactly the same as bio grandchildren. And this was years before my niece was adopted!

Edited by droughtquake
  • 3 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Page Scrawler said:

Seen on Pinterest: "My dad sat me down one day and told me I was adopted. He adopted me because his parents didn't want me. We're brothers."

I guess they don’t spend much time with grandma and grandpa!
;–)