eBooks Libraries and Digital Lending

Are eBooks books?

UK libraries seem to think so.

Like everywhere else they were shut during COVID lockdowns. So, they began offering their books on free electronic loan just like physical books

Maybe they were doing this already and I simply missed it :unsure2:

Anyway, seems a Twitter storm kicked off coupla weeks ago, hating on the Internet Archive for “stealing”. I’ve actually borrowed some books from here including an old 50s sci-fi (now unobtainable - unless you want to spend £80 or so on eBay for a dog-eared original :P) and was happy to read the scanned pages including the original illustrated dust jacket (so important for that 50s sci-fi vibe :funny: and which likely wouldn’t have survived even if the local library had a copy)

I’m a consumer, not a creator, so I think that’s great. But maybe not everyone’s a fan of the Internet Archive? Or even free libraries?

https://popula.com/2022/01/22/what-kind-of-writer-accuses-libraries-of-stealing/

Edited by Zombie
  • Wow 2

The article makes a good point. A lot of readers find a new author to follow by borrowing their books from the library. If the author becomes a favourite, they will often go on to buy their books. 

I subscribe to Kindle Unlimited and after borrowing several books by an author, often go on to buy others which aren't on loan.

They could just as well say lending libraries are stealing from writers.

• Like 2