'Dissing' drugs

That's an interesting take on it, however 'marijuana' is legal in some other countries. and... some states in the US.

If he wishes to totally obliterate the influx of tourism. Have at it.

Saying it's legal in some states in the US is putting it a little...strong. While certain states have passed laws making its possession and use medicinally not a crime under state laws, it is still illegal federally. The FBI can and has arrested people for using marijuana medicinally, even where these laws have been passed, and had doctor's licenses revoked for prescribing it.

Edited by Matthew
Saying it's legal in some states in the US is putting it a little...strong. While certain states have passed laws making it's possesion and use medicinally not a crime under state laws, it is still illegal federally. The FBI can and has arrested people for using marijuana medicinally, even wheres these laws have been passed, and had doctor's licenses revoked for prescribing it.

Yep... there are those idiots that do that. Until alcohol, cigarettes and other addictive over the counter drugs are removed, it is simple hypocracy.

If I remember my constitution correctly... each state has a right to over rule the federal law. Catchy thing that!

You might check out some of the laws in Idaho.

God made weed, man made beer.

Well, where do i start. I am a stong advocate of drugs and the freedom to use them as long as u dont hurt anyone else in the process. If any country wants to be called free, then the people hav the freedom to put watever substances in them tht they want. I dont no too much about other countrys and drugs but i no alot about our country. This rap is the same thing as our old heroin commercial (the frying pan and egg w/Reacheal Leigh). Terrible PSA, the government released a survey they conducted in early 2000 and it showed that the commercial was useless in the eyes of americans. They immediatly went to attacking the medicinal marijuana advocates instead. But anyway, if our commercial didnt work (and it was proved) wat makes this rap any different?

They legalized it, they hav to live with the consequences. I feel good tht its legalized but, u need sticter (ALOT STRICKTER) laws for useage in public and things of tht nature. U cant be hypocritical, u either support it or u dont. Dont legalize it then say hey, stop doing wat we r allowing u to do. Thts jus plain half tought logic.

Medicinal marijuana is very important and usefull. If u think a smart docotr is gonna say "hey smoke a joint and u'll feel better," ur absolutly rite. The Professor (his name slipes me) of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical Skool is an advocate of maedicinal marijusana. He syas after all his traing in medicine, he was being brainwashed by our government (we all r) tht marijuana and other drugs r the worst possible thing u can do.

Ive g2g now cus i hav other stuff i need to take care of but im not done here. I still hav more to say but ill post later.

Ian

Well, where do i start. I am a stong advocate of drugs and the freedom to use them as long as u dont hurt anyone else in the process.

...snip...

Ive g2g now cus i hav other stuff i need to take care of but im not done here. I still hav more to say but ill post later.

Whilst I agree with most of what The Reaper says, and could write a lot myself on the topic, I'm also aware that the one rule for The Lounge (apart from the General Rules affecting the whole of GA) is:

Please do not discuss politics here.

I'm wondering whether this discussion might be better taken to a Blog...

~ Marty ~

Whilst I agree with most of what The Reaper says, and could write a lot myself on the topic, I'm also aware that the one rule for The Lounge (apart from the General Rules affecting the whole of GA) is:

Please do not discuss politics here.

I'm wondering whether this discussion might be better taken to a Blog...

~ Marty ~

I have to admit I agree. Politics, religion, drugs... they're all inflamatory topics which most of us feel very strong about. It's generally a topic I try to avoid, but have a terrible time doing.

I have to admit I agree. Politics, religion, drugs... they're all inflamatory topics which most of us feel very strong about. It's generally a topic I try to avoid, but have a terrible time doing.

I love to chime in on these sort of discussions too, but I agree with Marty: it is getting political, so better off on a blog. :ranger:

Edited by C James

Yaaaaaaaa, i was getting too political but i do feel stongly on the legalization of drugs. Its good tht they r trying to get people to stop using drugs, but the way they're doing it does absolutly nothing to the average person.

I could get into more of my opinions and facts but ill save u the time. Long story short: drugs=bad, legalization=good.

Ian

Edited by The Reaper

Oh...sorry! :blink: didn't see this would take a political turn (but then again what in the world isn't?)

I just thought it was something funny to see and hear the highest ranking member of our legal system doing the rap. Obviously the campaign was a flop and he sort of made a complete fool of himself.

Anyways, if people are interested, I've written more about this on my blog.

David

:o How enlightening :worship:

*AHEM* Birds

Don't laugh. Papercuts are the new threat. And they freakin' hurt man. I once knew a guy who got a paper cut from a stamp that he got from South Africa, and his finger turned green and yellow and started smelling like coconuts.

Scccarrrrrry stuff.

Oh...sorry! :blink: didn't see this would take a political turn (but then again what in the world isn't?)

I just thought it was something funny to see and hear the highest ranking member of our legal system doing the rap. Obviously the campaign was a flop and he sort of made a complete fool of himself.

Anyways, if people are interested, I've written more about this on my blog.

David

I think your original post was great! You can never tell, no matter WHAT the topic, how a thread will change and drift. Thread drift deosn;t just run through the forums here, it stampedes. :funny:

What are laws and why do we need them?

Every law restricts our freedom, and that is a cost. So what is the benefit of having laws? If some activity by individuals has a negative external effect on others, then restricting the freedom of that individual to some extent benefits the society (because it reduces the negative externalities). For example, what if I use my freedom of speech and scream "fire" in the middle of a movie theater, cause a panic, and someone will have a heart attack? This is why the freedom of speech has limits and restrictions by the law. Similarly, the law does not allow me to drive at the speed of 70 miles per hour in a residential neighborhood. Again, my freedom to drive as fast as I want is restricted because of the negative externalities I impose on others.

Now, what about drugs? If the consumption of drugs by individuals imposes negative externalities on others (bystanders) then there should be laws to restrict that activity to some extent. For example, alcohol is legal, but not when you are driving, again because of negative externalities (danger other people).

If you want to promote restriction of drug use, you need to show that there are significant negative externalities imposed by user on other bystanders. If you want to promote legalization of drugs, you need to argue that there are no such negative externalities, and the only ones affected are the users themselves.

Hugs,

Michael.

What are laws and why do we need them?

Every law restricts our freedom, and that is a cost. So what is the benefit of having laws? If some activity by individuals has a negative external effect on others, then restricting the freedom of that individual to some extent benefits the society (because it reduces the negative externalities). For example, what if I use my freedom of speech and scream "fire" in the middle of a movie theater, cause a panic, and someone will have a heart attack? This is why the freedom of speech has limits and restrictions by the law. Similarly, the law does not allow me to drive at the speed of 70 miles per hour in a residential neighborhood. Again, my freedom to drive as fast as I want is restricted because of the negative externalities I impose on others.

Now, what about drugs? If the consumption of drugs by individuals imposes negative externalities on others (bystanders) then there should be laws to restrict that activity to some extent. For example, alcohol is legal, but not when you are driving, again because of negative externalities (danger other people).

If you want to promote restriction of drug use, you need to show that there are significant negative externalities imposed by user on other bystanders. If you want to promote legalization of drugs, you need to argue that there are no such negative externalities, and the only ones affected are the users themselves.

Hugs,

Michael.

Arguing for or against a drug is ridiculous. There are side affects to nearly every drug. What is measured here, is the amount of profit, and the potential loss of profit from the side affects. The US government has attached so much stigma and BLATANT misinformation regarding Marijuana that it is absolutely absurd.

Watch the idiocy and rhetoric of 'Reefer Madness'

We should not have to 'prove' the less than significant 'negative externalities' of marijuana. The obligation should be on those that enforce their idiology on the masses. Prove to me that Marijuana is more dangerous than Alcohol, or any other plethora of commonly used drugs.

Preconception and misconception shouldn't dictate what is law.

---

Edit.... I often say to people...

I'm a smoker... I'll puff on this cigarette, you suck on the tail pipe of your car. We'll see who dies first. Hypocracy at it's finest.

Arguing for or against a drug is ridiculous. There are side affects to nearly every drug. What is measured here, is the amount of profit, and the potential loss of profit from the side affects. The US government has attached so much stigma and BLATANT misinformation regarding Marijuana that it is absolutely absurd.

Watch the idiocy and rhetoric of 'Reefer Madness'

We should not have to 'prove' the less than significant 'negative externalities' of marijuana. The obligation should be on those that enforce their idiology on the masses. Prove to me that Marijuana is more dangerous that Alcohol, or any other plethora of commonly used drugs.

Preconception and misconception shouldn't dictate what is law.

I was not arguing for or against marijuana, or any other drug. I was discussing how one should convince people to adopt certain laws or to change existing laws. If you want to promote the legalization of it, to convince the legislators you need to argue that it does not have effect on other bystanders and its use affects only the user himself. To make your arguments strong, you might want to support it by evidence and studies conducted on the subject.

Arguing that one should be free to do whatever he wants is not going to convince people to change the law on marijuana. All the laws restrict our freedoms, and nobody thinks that all laws should be abandoned and we should have total freedom to do what we want. But if we are not satisfied with some laws, we do need to understand what are laws and why they exist, and make strong arguments to convince the legislators.

Hugs,

Michael.

I was not arguing for or against marijuana, or any other drug. I was discussing how one should convince people to adopt certain laws or to change existing laws. If you want to promote the legalization of it, to convince the legislators you need to argue that it does not have effect on other bystanders and its use affects only the user himself. To make your arguments strong, you might want to support it by evidence and studies conducted on the subject.

Arguing that one should be free to do whatever he wants is not going to convince people to change the law on marijuana. All the laws restrict our freedoms, and nobody thinks that all laws should be abandoned and we should have total freedom to do what we want. But if we are not satisfied with some laws, we do need to understand what are laws and why they exist, and make strong arguments to convince the legislators.

Hugs,

Michael.

If I had my way... the arguement would be what harms others and what does not.

If you have ever driven a car, you are guilty of harm. Harm to the planet and those around you. If you have ridden a bus, you are guilty of harm. Harm to the planet and those around you. The lesser of two evils does not make one right.

We are all guilty in our way.

It should not be a battle as to what plant we can or cannot have in our possession. It is natural. It grows here. Irregardless of what we do with it, or how we use it. It should only be taken into account when harm is done.

My point is that we should not have to 'battle' for idiology. We shouldn't have to fight for our freedoms. 'Fighting' for a thing is for those that just like to bitch.

We should not have to engage in this idle banter that serves no purpose, on a non topic, and gains us nothing. It should NOT be an issue.

We should not have to engage in this idle banter that serves no purpose, on a non topic, and gains us nothing. It should NOT be an issue.

Right, so end this thread RIGHT NOW, and tell me who the heck stole my cheese. It was sitting here on my desk a minute ago. RAAA!

If u didnt know, im a leftist. Changing laws and convincing legislators isnt going to solve anything. Im a big leader of making changes and ill be the first one to say no one is too small to make a difference but.....in this case, i beleive we r being shot down.

All of these right wing, conservative bullshit lies have gotten so numorous tht it'll take at least 50 years before some changes r made. Ive seen videos of people growing weed in Cali because its legal by state, but they had to wear pillow cases over their heads because its illegal by fedral law. If the states legalize medicinal marijuana or any drug for tht matter, people will do it. People r gonna do drugs legal or not. In 1972 the government started a fedral medical marijuana program to help people with cancer and such problems. 7 people r still on it today and it SAVES LIVES. Irvin Rosenfeld will continue to get fedral pot untill the day he dies. Look him up on the internet, hes an advocate and he smokes in front of the White House! Weed has saved his life, he is a stock broker and is very successfull.

People who do drugs r jus lik u and me, hard working, law abiding, family making citicenz. We need to stop treating them lik criminals! Its a big slice of injustice pie. BUt whinning isnt going to do anything. I used to do drugs and ill say they hurt no one else but me, unless i drove (never did), got in a fight (once but i was sober), or started a fight (never hav ever). But pointing tht out to the legeslators isnt going to help anyone. If it was in a statistic (it is) its not gonna help our point.

We seriously need to stop trying and jus do it. R we gonna stand here and be trampled or r we gonna stand up and so something about it. Actions speak louder than words, and thts exactlly wat we need to do. I hav a video of me somewhere around here of me smoking a joint in the middle of the street. My friends and i were gonna send it in but we didnt hav the stuff to get the prints off it or anything (we were high). But tht still is the idea of wat we need to do. We need to show them tht if nothing changes, we r gonna do it more. And i no tht by doing tht someone is gonna say tht we need to put more money in preventing it. Thts not gonna do anything because we will jus get smarter in our ways and more advanced in out technologies in hiding it. You cant totally stop some one from doing something, u can only prolong it.

Ian