American Idol - Recap

Xiao_Chun

mmm.... I haven't watched the show but in my experience any show with the word "Idol" at the end of the name tends to make me feel that there is no hope left for the human race... Still, I never did like programs like that so meh.

What do you think of the show so far?

I wanted to watch last night's edition before responding. This is my first year following AI (in previous years, I was working Tuesday night).

Fox has turned the whole Sanjaya thing - the votes are being manipulated by outside forces - into PR lemonade. Simon indirectly dismissed the whole situation by saying the judges have no reason for critiquing Sanjaya's performances because they have no influence.

Here is a comment from another site: Crediting Howard Stern and VoteForTheWorst.com , Sanjaya has lasted another week, forcing another semi-talented singer out the door while he remains. My concerns include the aforementioned plus the possibility of the snide jokes on the Internet about Sanjaya's sexuality (god knows what it is) turning vicious.

My reaction is that we're being provided with some very good (and sometimes, excellent) entertainment. The studio orchestra is superb. Here's my reading on the top four:

Melinda - Wow...what a talent. She's in a level by herself. I'd go to see her in concert right now.

LaKisha - The Donna Summers song was terrific last night. She's a very talented distant second.

Blake - What an interesting (and cute) free spirit with a contemporary twist on music.

Jordin - Good singer. That's about it.

I regret that Chris R. will probably be voted off soon. He's a real hottie (okay, maybe his facial hair is a little goofy) and seems like a nice guy. I'd be remiss if I didn't comment about the way he looked last week in a tight polo shirt. Yummy eye candy.

I suspect that either Phil or Haley will be voted off this week and we will have to endure another couple of weeks with Sanjaya.

Finally, I was amused at Simon's comment "As different as chalk and cheese" that completely went over Ryan's head. I went to Google to confirm that I had understood the phrase properly. Here is the answer:

The earliest example

I wanted to watch last night's edition before responding. This is my first year following AI (in previous years, I was working Tuesday night).

Fox has turned the whole Sanjaya thing - the votes are being manipulated by outside forces - into PR lemonade. Simon indirectly dismissed the whole situation by saying the judges have no reason for critiquing Sanjaya's performances because they have no influence.

Here is a comment from another site: Crediting Howard Stern and VoteForTheWorst.com , Sanjaya has lasted another week, forcing another semi-talented singer out the door while he remains. My concerns include the aforementioned plus the possibility of the snide jokes on the Internet about Sanjaya's sexuality (god knows what it is) turning vicious.

My reaction is that we're being provided with some very good (and sometimes, excellent) entertainment. The studio orchestra is superb. Here's my reading on the top four:

Melinda - Wow...what a talent. She's in a level by herself. I'd go to see her in concert right now.

LaKisha - The Donna Summers song was terrific last night. She's a very talented distant second.

Blake - What an interesting (and cute) free spirit with a contemporary twist on music.

Jordin - Good singer. That's about it.

I regret that Chris R. will probably be voted off soon. He's a real hottie (okay, maybe his facial hair is a little goofy) and seems like a nice guy. I'd be remiss if I didn't comment about the way he looked last week in a tight polo shirt. Yummy eye candy.

I suspect that either Phil or Haley will be voted off this week and we will have to endure another couple of weeks with Sanjaya.

Finally, I was amused at Simon's comment "As different as chalk and cheese" that completely went over Ryan's head. I went to Google to confirm that I had understood the phrase properly. Here is the answer:

The earliest example