-
Posts
6,516 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
Stories
- Stories
- Story Series
- Story Worlds
- Story Collections
- Story Chapters
- Chapter Comments
- Story Reviews
- Story Comments
- Stories Edited
- Stories Beta'd
Blogs
Store
Help Center
Writing
Gallery
Events
Everything posted by sandrewn
-
equilibrium - Word of the Day - Wed Aug 26, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
I tried looking it up, no luck. I'm pretty sure, I was making $1,000+ and UN pay($180USD) per month. Keep in mind, there was nothing to spend it on where we lived. Weekend passes to Cairo, Tel Aviv if you were lucky. I was(very lucky) in charge of two convoys a week, one to Cairo and one to Tel Aviv. Then there was UN leave, did I ever tell you that I spent a week in London, stayed at a military hotel, The Union Jack Club. As luck would have it, I was there when the Queen came to officially open its' new location. They asked if I and my two friends would like to meet the queen??? She came to our table in the bar(no booze allowed), spoke with us for 15 minutes or so. Talk about right place, right time. Ever since I like to say, if asked, 'I went to London to visit the Queen'.(True story) Back to your original question, that whole hog meal, cost us a couple of hundred dollars USD. -
equilibrium - Word of the Day - Wed Aug 26, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
To me if a COFFEE does not have milk & sugar, it is not coffee. I can think of only two times in my life that I voluntarily had it black. The first time I was by myself, on Christmas Eve,1970, doing guard duty at an ammo dump near Montreal. I was freezing/frozen in my sentry box, about 3 in the morning, I had been there since midnight and was half way through my shift. My sergeant drove up to do a check up, took pity on me and offered me cup of coffee from his thermos. It was black, hot and life saving(to me) and got me through the rest of the night. October Crisis | The Canadian Encyclopedia The second time was 1975, in Cairo Egypt. My convoy was delayed, the bridge across the Suez Canal would only be in place, at six AM. We had the night off, so we decided to go whole hog and treat ourselves to a fancy meal at the Sheraton. I do not remember what we ate, except that it was expensive. My point in telling you this was all about the coffee. They served it black and it was the only time I ever truly and completely, literally loved a black coffee, I had two refills. I never found out what it was, but to this day, bar none, I think it was the best coffee I ever tasted. -
equilibrium - Word of the Day - Wed Aug 26, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Thanks, you just made my day. -
equilibrium - Word of the Day - Wed Aug 26, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
I will be 75 in October and I have never, ever had an iced coffee. I will add that to my to-do list. From what I just looked up, You can easily enjoy a delicious iced coffee while lactose intolerant by swapping regular dairy milk for plant-based alternatives or lactose-free dairy. dairy free iced coffee - Sarah Bakes Gluten Free Let me know, sandrewn -
equilibrium - Word of the Day - Wed Aug 26, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
I have gone for many a spins myself. -
equilibrium - Word of the Day - Wed Aug 26, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Been there, done that, been there, done that, been there, done that, been there.................... -
equilibrium - Word of the Day - Wed Aug 26, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
It has been years since I heard this one, the classic answer to the mythological riddle of the Sphinx solved by Oedipus is man (a human being). The Sphinx asked: "What goes on four feet in the morning, two at noon, and three in the evening?"—referring to crawling as an infant, walking on two legs as an adult, and using a walking cane in old age. I have now experienced all three and find "the shadows are getting longer for me". -
equilibrium - Word of the Day - Wed Aug 26, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Just the facts: EQUILIBRIUM Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster EQUILIBRIUM Synonyms: 82 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus EQUILIBRIUM CONSTANT Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster STABLE EQUILIBRIUM Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster -
Hello there, of course I (we) remember you, I'm still on your home page. Take your time, reconnect, ask questions, join in. This song title seems so appropriate, I can't help myself(just pretend Kotter isn't there)........ Welcome Back Kotter - Theme Song - YouTube Take care, sandrewn
- 1 reply
-
- 1
-
-
Of the approximate 165,000 deaths that occurred today around the world, Tuesday, 25 August 2026. Dolly Parton was the only one to bring a tear to my eye. I knew her, her voice, her songs, of her life story. The world that I know, has lost a Good Samaritan(a helpful person who gives time, money, or effort to aid a stranger). She often shared her belief that God did not plan for her to have biological children so that "everybody's kids could be mine". Did Dolly Parton have any kids? - pennlive.com Fair winds and following seas, sandrewn
- 21 replies
-
- 14
-
-
resolution - Word of the Day - Tue Aug 25, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Just the facts: RESOLUTION Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster RESOLUTION Synonyms: 98 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus RESOLVE Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster RESOLVE Synonyms: 216 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus -
resolution - Word of the Day - Tue Aug 25, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Been there, done that, still do. Sort of reminds me of, 'Groundhog Day'. -
strengthened - Word of the Day - Mon Aug 24, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
I know it's not, but it sounds addictative Ringo Star - No, No Song - YouTube -
strengthened - Word of the Day - Mon Aug 24, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Just the facts: STRENGTHENED | English meaning - Cambridge Dictionary STRENGTHENED Synonyms: 186 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus STRENGTHEN Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster STRENGTHEN Synonyms: 136 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus Strengthened Meaning, Usage & Statistics -
Welcome Evan. Wow, already a story in moderation, is that what they call chomping at the bit. I wish you all the best. Take care & good luck, sandrewn
- 5,016 replies
-
- 2
-
-
- introduce yourself
- new members
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Welcome back Paul. I'm so glad you stopped by all those years ago as a reader and remembered us. I guess you saw and felt something positive from those visits. Even better, you are back as a writer, I wish you luck as an aspiring new author and look forward to your stories. Never hesitate to ask a question or for advice. Remember, every single author here now, was once standing exactly where you are now. Take care & best wishes, sandrewn
- 5,016 replies
-
- 4
-
-
-
- introduce yourself
- new members
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
patience - Word of the Day - Sun Aug 23, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Now this one brings to mind, something most of us have heard before, "Location, location, location." I live in Montreal, a bee/wasp sting or being bitten when I ten years old by a neighbors' puppy dog called, 'Happy', were my worst case scenarios. Now to the other extreme, Australia, once bitten, if you survive, don't do whatever you did, again, if that means running faster, hell yeah!! With all of the possible dangerous fauna there, good luck. I know, you know the obvious ones, but consider the two I have listed below as, who would of thought or scary as hell: Platypus venom and spurs - Australian Platypus Conservancy “They're equipped with 15cm claws, can run at speeds of 50kph, clear 2m when jumping and deliver a mean kick – just how worried should I be?” | Discover Wildlife -
patience - Word of the Day - Sun Aug 23, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Brings to mind a popular saying, "Once bitten twice shy". -
I'm not sure if what you said, dreed, was intentional or a misspelling? "Dreed" is the past tense form of the old Scottish and northern English verb dree, which means to suffer, endure, or bear a hard fate (as in the old phrase "to dree one's weird"). It is also commonly seen as a common misspelling or phonetic variant of dread, or a reference to the sci-fi franchise Judge Dredd. Definition: Past tense of dree (to endure or undergo hardship). Origin: Old English drēogan. Usage: Mostly found in old literature, Scottish dialects, or traditional phrases
-
patience - Word of the Day - Sun Aug 23, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Just the facts: PATIENCE Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster PATIENCE Synonyms: 29 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus PATIENTLY Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster PATIENT Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster -
Just the facts: CALM Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster CALM Synonyms: 310 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus CALMNESS Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster CALMNESS Synonyms: 128 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus
-
continuance - Word of the Day - Fri Aug 21, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Just the facts: CONTINUANCE Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster CONTINUANCE Synonyms: 55 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus CONTINUANCES Synonyms: 48 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus CONTINUE Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster CONTINUED Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster CONTINUAL Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster CONTINUATION Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster DISCONTINUANCE Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster -
Just the facts: UNITY Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster UNITY Synonyms: 37 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus I actually found something geared for writers(finally). Unity Definition, Synonyms, Importance | Writing Commons
-
purpose - Word of the Day - Wed Aug 19, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Just the facts: PURPOSE Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster PURPOSE Synonyms: 98 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus -
restoration - Word of the Day - Tue Aug 18, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Just the facts: RESTORATION Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster RESTORATION Synonyms: 33 Similar Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus RESTORE Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster
