-
Posts
6,508 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Forums
Stories
- Stories
- Story Series
- Story Worlds
- Story Collections
- Story Chapters
- Chapter Comments
- Story Reviews
- Story Comments
- Stories Edited
- Stories Beta'd
Blogs
Store
Help Center
Writing
Gallery
Events
Everything posted by sandrewn
-
assurance - Word of the Day - Sat Aug 15, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Reference: Banker/Bankers. The "Thumper Rule" (Thanks mom) -
🤐
-
@drpaladinI just had to say one(more) last thing. I have attended over a dozen Robbie Burns Night dinners, courtesy of The Black Watch (RHR) of Canada Sergeants & WOs Mess and this is where your IE comes in. Cock-a-Leekie Soup is the traditional soup for Burns Night. :bagpiper:
-
Words Ending in -Y — Spelling Rules | Alloprof Words That End with IE | Merriam-Webster My last comments🤞
-
I am going to end this farce I started by going back to our 'Word of the Day'. Question: Did the Beatles have poise? Answer: Yes; Ringo said he threw up from nerves before the Royal Command performance and you can see Paul is very nervous. George said they were apprehensive before big steps, but also had a confidence. I think there were two things that got them through their nerves; firstly, they were hugely experienced - Beatles’ historian Mark Lewisohn calculated that by 1962, the Beatles had had more stage time than any other pop band in the world. They’d also been through so much together; once in Hamburg they were sitting at a table when someone at the next table was shot dead. While the waiters dealt with that, the Beatles had to go on stage and start performing. Secondly, they completely trusted each others’ abilities. George also said that he felt a bit sorry for Elvis as there was only one Elvis, but there were 4 of them to share the experience. How They Showed Poise Grace under pressure: They handled screaming crowds, chaotic press conferences, and intrusive questions with calm humor and sharp charm. Tough background: Years of playing long, grueling hours in Hamburg clubs built their stage grit and confidence. Shared strength: Having four members meant they shared the stress and kept each other grounded during major moments. Clean style: Their early matching suits and look gave them a neat, composed public image. The Beatles - Twist And Shout (Performed Live On The Ed Sullivan Show 2/23/64) - YouTube When The Beatles first emerged in the early 1960s with their signature "mop-top" fringe, their hair was treated by the mainstream public and media as a shocking symbol of rebellion, with critics famously remarking that the young men "looked like girls". When the Beatles Arrived in America, Reporters Ignored the Music and Obsessed Over Hair (I have to confess, I was a teenager then and bought a Beatles wig, never had the courage to wear it, except at home, even my parents never saw it. Shortly afterwards I joined the military, and any dreams of a mop top haircut, were quickly sheered away.)
-
Reference: Your question, see the other responses for the answers. Reference: It Depends, this is not an endorsement, just product information.
-
Just the facts: POISE Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster POISE Synonyms: 121 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus POISED Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster POISES Synonyms: 93 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus
-
determined - Word of the Day - Thu Aug 13, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Just the facts: DETERMINED Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster DETERMINED Synonyms: 279 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus DETERMINE Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster DETERMINATION Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster SELF-DETERMINED Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster BOUND AND DETERMINED Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster During my search today I came across the word 'cowardly', I only mention this because I saw that one of its adjectives was pusillanimous. Ever since I first saw, The Wizard of Oz, over sixty years I had wondered what it meant and now I know! In The Wizard of Oz, the word pusillanimous (meaning cowardly or lacking courage) is famously used by the Wizard when talking to the Scarecrow: "Every pusillanimous creature that crawls on the Earth or slinks through slimy seas has a brain." The Wizard Of OZ 1939 720p (time1:29-1:33) - YouTube The following, if you have sometime, is an eye opener! THE WIZARD OF OZ (1939): Cast Then & Now — The Secrets Hidden Behind The Most Beloved Film Ever Made - YouTube Rest in Peace, Judy Garland, somewhere over the rainbow. -
reconciliation - Word of the Day - Wed Aug 12, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Okay, I have to admit I like them too! Although I haven't eaten one(a bunch) in over 20 years. Speaking of tater tots, did you know they were invented in 1953 in Ontario, Oregon by the Ore-Ida company and its' founders, brothers F. Nephi Grigg & Golden Grigg. They were designed to use up leftover slivers and scrap pieces of cut potatoes left over from making frozen French fries, which were previously sold cheaply as livestock feed. They chopped the scrap potato slivers, mixed them with flour and seasonings, and pushed the mixture through holes to form small bite-sized pieces before frying. Did you know, in Australia they're called potato gems, potato royals, or potato pom-poms! I wonder if @chris191070, has tried them there? Last but not least, in the UK they are called/labeled as hash brown bites, mini hash browns, or even historically as oven crunchies. (Tater Tots 101) -
reconciliation - Word of the Day - Wed Aug 12, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
The phrase "you say potato, I say potato" (often pronounced potayto, potahto) means that two opposing options, ideas, or descriptions are fundamentally the same. It is used to brush off a minor difference in wording or pronunciation as trivial and unimportant. Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong ★ Let's Call The Whole Thing Off - HQ - YouTube -
reconciliation - Word of the Day - Wed Aug 12, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Or, you can agree to disagree. Let bygones be bygones. That works. Except for one time, I never spoke to that SOB again and you know what? That worked too. -
reconciliation - Word of the Day - Wed Aug 12, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Just the facts: RECONCILIATION Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster RECONCILIATION Synonyms: 20 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus RECONCILE Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster -
stability - Word of the Day - Tue Aug 11, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Just the facts: STABILITY Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster STABILITY Synonyms: 54 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus -
closeness - Word of the Day - Mon Aug 10, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Finally found it! Flo: I want to be near you. I want you to hold me. Oh! Hold me closer! Closer! Closer! Dr. Hackenbush: If I hold you any closer, I'll be in back of you! A Day at the Races (1937) - IMDb -
Now he has some answers(Jardines/Travers). Back on his ship, the start of a new adventure, temporary flag ship of Sir John, what could possibly go wrong? I'm chomping at the bit, the next chapter if you please, thanks in advance.
-
A 'Brotherhood'! With a 'Royal Highness' as patron! What a difference a single day can make. Now I wonder what Sir John has in store for him? Great chapter, thank you, Mark.
-
Safety in numbers and watching his back(in more ways than one).
-
Mark has created a dynamic duo, what every aspiring naval officer needed at that time. Arthur takes on a more important roll in this story.
-
closeness - Word of the Day - Mon Aug 10, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Just the facts: CLOSENESS Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster CLOSENESS Synonyms: 191 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus -
Knowing Mark, not really a surprise at all. Odyssey, was such an apt title.
-
This is at least my fourth reading of this chapter. 15 years and as enjoyable a read now as it was then. Thank you, Mark.
-
redemption - Word of the Day - Sun Aug 9, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
QC vs. QA: Quality Control (QC) focuses on inspecting products to detect defects after or during production. Quality Assurance (QA) focuses on managing processes to prevent defects from happening in the first place. -
redemption - Word of the Day - Sun Aug 9, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
Just the facts: REDEMPTION Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster REDEMPTION Synonyms: 58 Similar and Opposite Words | Merriam-Webster Thesaurus REDEEM Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster REDEEMING Definition & Meaning - Merriam-Webster -
resurgence - Word of the Day - Sat Aug 8, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
@drpaladin@PaladinYour comments brought back a memory of one of my Mothers' older uncles. Uncle Joe, came to Canada on his own(no work at home) in the 1920s. Found work in the Springhill mines of Nova Scotia. Ten years, but breathing problems put an end to that. He had a cousin in Montreal and settled here, now the reason for this comment. Uncle Joe found a job(making shoes) with Lasalle Shoe Mfg. Ltd. He worked there for 32 years, until he was forced retire. He got a wrist watch with 32 years engraved on the back. That was it, no pension, nothing. My mom inherited it, and now I have the watch with the 32 years engraved on its' back. I will look for it and when I find it, I will send you photos of the 32 years engraved watch and you figure out its' value. -
resurgence - Word of the Day - Sat Aug 8, 2026
sandrewn commented on Myr's blog entry in Writing World
The phrase "they come and they go" (or "come and go") means that people, things, or situations appear for a short time, leave, and do not stay permanent. It describes a continuous cycle of arriving and departing, or things that start and stop repeatedly.
