Jump to content

Jack Poignet

Author
  • Posts

    486
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Jack Poignet

  1. Jack Poignet

    Abduction

    Who? Me? I‘m totally innocent! I tried to warn you in the comments 2 chapters ago. I told you I didn‘t want Marcus to become too popular. I used/quoted Marcus‘ nasty laugh after the comment that Alex should be safe in the mall with Solomon and Marcus. Yes, I more or less gave this twist already away! And Marcus‘ frequent message checking … Seriously, you had been warned. But ok, here‘s a very direct warning: Things are about to get seriously nasty in the next and (especially) the then following chapter. I‘ll post these two chapters the coming two Mondays.
  2. The tension from the car ride clung to them as they stepped out into the mall. Alex kept his arms crossed as they entered, his jaw tight, his gaze fixed straight ahead. The air inside was pleasant, perfumed with a touch of cinnamon and synthetic pine, but it did nothing to ease the stiffness in his spine. He still wasn’t over what Marcus had said at Maison Noir. He wasn’t sure if he’d ever be. Marcus, for once, held his tongue—a silence as comforting as alarm bells swaying gently in th
  3. Jack Poignet

    A Losing Game

    On a personal note I find it rather funny how worried I was about mentioning the curse connecting the Blacks and the Soigneurs in chapter three. A true Deus Ex Machina moment… which then turned into a major plot line. Guess in hindsight it turned out alright.
  4. Jack Poignet

    A Losing Game

    Often I think my readers are a lot smarter than me… or maybe just overthinking? But I admit, I‘m trying to make Jacques‘ upcoming personal story climax (no question what he’ll gain in the end, right?) more believable so most of the babbling about magic is setting up that twist. But now I think I have everything in place, so let’s get some nasty action going, readers have a right to expect more of that stuff after the beginning chapters… I‘m pretty confident I will connect all the major dots in the end and only leave a few minor dangling ends and baby ideas for the sequel.
  5. Jack Poignet

    A Losing Game

    I‘m rather happy that the football analogy works for you because I must admit I have zero knowledge of the game and googling some position hasn‘t exactly left me confident I got it right (enough). On another note, I‘m surprised you didn‘t dig in to the one or two things I put in there especially for you @Danners As more or less mentioned, the next arc is fully written (but still unpolished) and then I‘m on to the climax. The end is in sight (even if a few months away) I plan to write and polish it in the next weeks and then just put it in the publishing queue. And then I‘ll probably do some revision and try my luck with Amazon KDP. And then … prequel or sequel first? Both could be fun.
  6. Jack Poignet

    A Losing Game

    I actually wanted to do a longer chapter, switching back and forth between Jacques and Alex, but this part here has just gotten too long and needed some more stuff crammed into it before I run out of time in this story and we hit the climax (in about 6 or 7 chapters)...
  7. The wooden table groaned under the force of Jacques’ fist, the sharp crack echoing through the dimly lit room. The tarot deck rattled from the impact, a few cards spilling onto the surface—The Hanged Man, The Five of Swords, The Tower. Ominous. Fitting. He couldn’t care less. Madame Marie, seated across from him, remained entirely unshaken. She simply watched, her dark eyes steady, fingers lightly tapping against the table’s surface as if waiting for the storm to pass. But the storm in
  8. Helmhold awoke the next day feeling more level-headed, if still faintly rattled by the memory of his hammer’s rebellious jig. He had banked the coals overnight—like one’s sense of self-preservation after an evening in the Mended Drum—and it left the forge subdued and sensible once again. He nodded in satisfaction. This morning, he promised himself, there would be no nonsense. No un-dwarfish foot-tapping, no swirl or flourish in his hammer-strikes, and absolutely no thinking about multi-colored s
  9. Aahahaa!
  10. Retrieving the hand is easy now that they know where it is… it might also be somewhat useful, but for Jacques to make it his own, he first has to „voluntarily sacrifice“ his old hand (that he already lost). Neither he nor anyone else has a clue on how that might be possible… (although I‘m already dropping hints left and right) Don‘t put too much stock in an AI generated Cover … that line on his arm is painted in there by myself (DALL-E completely ignored every request for Jacques to have his left hand missing) Funny thing, I now try my best to match the story to the cover, it sure had an influence…
  11. Let's just say I didn't want Marcus to become too popular. And Jacques will let him know in the next chapter what he thinks about him. A fat lip and/or a black eye are totally on the table. I'll keep your thoughts about Alex's and Jacques' growing relationship in mind, but I have lots of "action" stuff I wish to pack into the story before the end and there'll be limited time for the guys to explore each others feelings.
  12. The air in the locker room was heavy with heat and the scent of their exertion. Alex scrambled back up to his feet again and leaned over the sink, his chest rising and falling, fogging the mirror with each labored exhale. His hands gripped the edge of the counter, the cool stone a stark contrast to the fire still simmering in his veins. Behind him, Jacques also dragged himself up from the floor and pressed his bare skin against Alex’s back, still slick and warm. His arms wrapped loosely around A
  13. The sun—or the yellowish smear that Ankh-Morpork generously referred to as the sun—prodded its way through the morning smog like an uninvited guest at a riotous party, uncertain whether it should remove its top or crawl back into the nearest cloud and pretend it had never been there. Helmhold Hammerfest, metalsmith of the Stronginthearm Clan, trudged through the bustling streets, his boots thudding against cobblestones slick with something better left unidentified. He moved with the kind o
  14. Jack Poignet

    Hit and Miss

    We are confident that we can add something new, possibly exciting and hopefully entertaining. We‘ll introduce mostly new main characters and only (ab)use the obvious choice from our favourite City Watch characters for becoming the most fabulous Drag Queen. 😁 We know we can‘t compete with Terry Pratchett, so we just try our own thing…
  15. Jack Poignet

    Hit and Miss

    Captain Carrot is just Captain Carrot in all his wholesome, shining glory, nothing and no one will change that.
  16. From far, far away, out of the inky vastness of space, emerged a drag particle of creativity. It streaked through the void, full of determination and eager to change everything. It was small, impossibly small, smaller than a gnat’s hiccup, but it contained a spark of pure, unfettered inspiration—the kind that brings about entirely new ideas, new worlds and civilizations, revolutionary thoughts, and occasionally, Vogon poetry. This particle, barely older than the Big Bang and still very much
  17. Hi, Jack here. Rafy and I have some very different styles of writing and our selection of topics is vastly different. However, we share a love for Terry Pratchett's Discworld books. So we thought, maybe our different approaches and topic selections might make an interesting combination. And of course, we both share our good old, world famous German humor, so what could possibly go wrong... We have neither the intention nor the ability to emulate or copy Terry Pratchett, although some o
  18. Helmhold Hammerfest, upstanding member of the dwarfish community of Ankh-Morpork, invents something unheard of: Drag (Not an easy thing to pull off for dwarfs). A fabulous explosion of glamour not only threatens dwarfish society but attracts the unwanted attention of elves. Run as fast as you can (in high heels)!
  19. Yes, this chapter probably could have used some more polishing... it's a stitch up of two or three scenes. But, hey, I'm currently on vacation on Gran Canaria and simply wanted this chapter to be published. Please point out the biggest mistakes--if you find some--and I'll go in again and fix them.
  20. The wide staircase led them down, deeper into the dimly lit heart of the house. Jacques took the lead, his broad shoulders cutting a strong silhouette against the flickering light of the antique fixtures. Alex followed close behind, his gait still unfamiliar to him in his new, stronger body, his hands unconsciously brushing against the walls as if anchoring himself to the tangible. Marcus strolled casually behind them, grinning like the Cheshire Cat, his teeth flashing in a way that made Alex bo
  21. Delilah didn‘t want to say anything, wouldn‘t dream of accusing anyone, but… Drama is intense as self-declared would-be Inspectreuse Coco brandishes her sequined trenchcoat, a notepad and her sharp, flamingo-topped pen to gather clues about Delilah‘s missing wig. Yes, the chartreuse one! And showtime is just moments away… A must read for anyone with a sense for real drama or who doesn‘t know what color Chartreuse is.
      • 4
      • Love
      • Haha
  22. “Old magic”, spell casting, even wands etc, are explained at some length in the prequel (which I haven’t published yet), so I didn’t want to go into too many details here. “New magic” will become rather important in a few chapters. Of course, workouts are good for body and soul and there’s mirrors around… Not sure how far the guys will take it though 🤔 Remember, they only met 2 nights ago!
  23. While I‘ve talked about science and physics in the comments, I‘ve noticed that so far it did not come up in the story. I‘ve now added a few lines concerning Jacques’ education in chapter „A Voice from the Past“, where Solomon offers Jacques a job as „adviser“ of Noir Foundation. Nothing game changing, no need to reread it.
  24. The meeting room above the Maison Noir gym was a discordant blend of two worlds. The sterile hum of lights and the faint electrical whir of a projector created a distinctly modern buzz, but the heaviness of the air—the lingering scent of ancient wood, of something earthy and faintly burned—hinted at the peculiar forces that haunted every corner of their lives. The walls were smooth white—too blank, too clinical for someone like Madame Marie, who stood at the head of the room like a relic from an
  25. Experimental text that plays with chat-like formatting. A guy in a supermarket talks with his inner drag queen persona. Possibly a bit confusing, but nevertheless a fun and interesting read.
      • 2
      • Love
×
×
  • Create New...