Jump to content
    AC Benus
  • Author
  • 2,854 Words
  • 1,110 Views
  • 10 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

From the Depths – Novella Three - 3. Chapter 3: Monday Before Lent

The school is getting ready for Carnival and for the onset of Lent. The gym is transformed, while Simon and Dustin have a special task. Paxton sings to the boys about Love.

Chapter 3: Monday Before Lent

 

Winter had set in, and not only that – but the bitter cold and bleak winter of February. Soon Lent would begin, but at least we had Carnival at our school to look forward to, and that was tomorrow!

Parents had worked all weekend, and as I walked the transformed gym, my stomach was settled with lunch, and my anticipation for Fat Tuesday sharpened. The place was crazy with green and yellow twisted crêpe paper streamers. These started from the center of the open steel joists above the basketball court, and draped outwards to all corners. There were enough to give the otherwise sweaty place the magic of an Arabian tent.

As I stood at the top of the four steps leading down to the gym floor, I became aware that my mouth was open, so I shut it, manually, for there was a lot of work to do. This year the 6th grade was hosting the indoor activities, and to my left was the girls' section; to my right, the boys'.

For the girls, the parents had built and partially decorated walk-in attractions, like a haunted house, a funhouse, and a fortune teller's 'Den.'

For the boys, there were games of chance and skill: a ring toss, a bottle slam, and a tilted bullseye where the ball could fall through a hole in the bottom like a spider down a drain.

I had a spring in my step, and took the stairs two steps at a time. I jogged over to my boys by the games. They were all busy. Stevie stopped painting a moment to greet me.

"Hey," he said.

"What can I do?!" I knew I sounded like a puppy, but so be it.

"Dunno," Stevie said. "Ask them." His head gestured to Klay and Dylan at the bottle slam.

I walked over there, watching as Dylan carefully pyramid-stacked some wooden milk bottles. He stepped out of the way. And just as I got to him, Klay drew back a beanbag with both hands, locked lips tight to screw his face into an ugly scowl, and threw the bag with unforgiving menace at the stack. The bottles crashed with the sound of bowling pins and clattered on the floor.

"Nice!" I complimented.

Dylan ran up to me. "Cool! Ain't it?!"

"Way cool!" I felt that puppy dog will to please returning. "What can I do!"

My two classmates looked at each other with shrugged shoulders.

I scanned the gym. "Where's…Dustin?"

Dylan said, curious himself, "I don’t know."

But Klay farted out a sneering chortle.

He said in a mocking singsong to Dylan, "Simon can't stand to be away from his boyfriend for long. Oogh, Oogh, Dustin – " He turned his back to me, and crossed his arms so his hands rubbed his opposite flanks. Dylan started howling with laughter.

Klay, asshole, then went on in a high pitch: "Oh Dustin, Kiss, Kiss, Kiss!" Then, as he rubbed his hands all over his back, and made loud smooching sounds.

The moment he fronted his face back to me, I stung him with, "Suck it Klay. You're such an idiot!"

I turned my attention to the genteel promise of the girls' side of the gym, and started walking.

As I got a third of the way, I felt a sharp noise at the back of my head – it sounded like gravel in my skull. A beanbag fell to my heels. Hand to the sore spot, I whipped around. Klay and Dylan were convulsed in laughter and almost squatting with hands on both knees as if in pain.

I got mad. I knew Klay was mean, but what was Dylan being such a cronie for?

My first instinct was to grab the bag and aim for Klay's repulsive leer. But then, I thought better. I slowly picked up the bag, pretended like I was aiming for them…however, I simply turned with contended self-satisfaction, and continued on my way. I bounced the bag in my happy palm like a trophy. They needed it, and they would have to make nice to get it back.

On the girls' side, the largest attraction was the haunted house. Here a couple of moms were trying to direct the swarm of girls. Some were coming and going to the girls' locker room with costumes – ghosts, and such.

One table was festooned with pink and white streamers, and as I passed it, I saw about a hundred crêpe paper flowers laid out. Some were roses, some were big white fantasy pieces like lotuses, and one side was spread with smaller ones in many colors and on safety pins. The 'prize-winners' could secure them to their tops and wear them proudly the rest of Carnival day.

At the end of this table was the fortune-telling booth; a little one-room 'house' with a curtain draping the entry.

Gina appeared from behind the curtain. She wore a full gypsy outfit, with long skirt, various colored scarves tucked at the waist, and another red one wrapped and tied around her pigtails.

She smiled at me with glinting glasses and came to my elbow. "Madam Jodisia will give you a private reading now, sir."

She tugged me inside.

A bunch of dark-colored sheets formed the ceiling, and tented up to a single dim-watt bulb. This lamp was shaded with a large scarf and gave a magical feel to this space.

Jodie was in costume too, just like Gina's, but with the addition of a headband of dangling yellow coins.

"You girls look great," I told them.

They responded with giggles, and pinching up skirts as they twirled for my full inspection.

Gina took me by the elbow again. "Your first victim – I mean, client – Madam Jodisia." She then pulled me down to whisper, "She needs the practice."

Gina left us. Jodie, I mean, Madam Jodisia, gestured to one of two folding chairs. I sat. In front of me was a coffee table, and a 'crystal ball' that looked suspiciously like the mirrored centerpiece from a birdbath.

Jodie played up her part. She stood before the seer's mystical object and passed open palms over its surface.

"I see…I see…" she strung it out like clothes on a drying line, and in a pitch much lower than her own "…I see…Love in your future."

I let out a chortle. "Realllllly?"

"Yes! The crystal ball does not lie."

She reinstigated the supernatural hand movements. More intense gazing followed, but it seemed she was gazing into my eyes deeper than her own through the reflection of the mirrored ball.

"I see…I see…great potential in your future, if you are up to the challenges. I see…I see…a mistake. A hateful one that you can avoid. And…and…"

She stopped all her motions. She just stared at me in reflection.

"…I see love blooming, if you are strong enough to accept it, and not listen to others."

"Who..?" I stammered.

"Someone you already know."

I squinted my brows in confusion.

She added very quietly, "Just, be good to him…"

Miss Skalicky ripped open the curtain. "Simon!"

I jumped and nearly tipped the table.

"There you are!" my teacher chirped. "Didn't you read the schedule – you're supposed to be helping Dustin make the prizes. He's set up in the activities room. Chop, chop!"

She actually clapped her hands.

 

˚˚˚˚˚

 

In the activities room, Dustin and I had side-by-side workstations at two separate tables.

His space was neatly arranged. Before him were colored magic markers with fine tips; while to his left, a few stacks of upside-down Styrofoam cup were lined up. To his right, a large cookie sheet held the finished 'hats,' which were carefully spaced apart. He used the markers to make geometric patterns on the cups – some he incised with black boarders and in-filled with pink and yellow triangles. Others he made with straight-line borders in browns and reds. His finished tray was nearly full.

In front of me sat a dull bucket of hand-sized river rocks. The smooth gray lumps must be outfitted, for next to this bucket was a pail of loose googly eyes, and by its side, a bowl of cut strips of candy-colored monkey fur.

I picked up a rock and glued on a pair of eyes, then with a choice of two paint pens, added a smile. The ball bearing in the pen thumped down as I lined-in a silver or gold curve with two little cheek marks at the sides. Lastly, I had to select a nice toupée, and decide if this rock wanted a Mohawk, a comb-over, or a full-on troll coiffeur.

I set my finished 'pet rocks' on a tray to my right.

The room was chilly, and out the glass door, gray skies threatened snow. Even so, Dustin – as I snuck a peek at his concentration – looked uncomfortable in the plush sweater he wore. It was brown with orange stripes, and it seemed he had outgrown it since last winter.

"Man," I told him. "How I miss all those afternoon swims down at the Kaskaskia."

"Um-hum." Dustin was busy, but he added, "Me too."

"Seems like a million years ago."

"Warm weather will be back."

"But not yet. Even our creek is a slushy mess."

"Yeah, no more frogs."

"Where do you think all those 'chrysalises' are now?" I hoped to impress that I had learned the right way to say it, but he seemed to take it for granted.

"Oh don’t worry, buddy. They're there. Safe and sleeping."

I started a new rock. "Hey, did you hear this one: 'How did the math teacher solve her constipation problem?'"

"Dunno."

I shrugged, as if it were obvious. "'She worked it out with a pencil.'"

Dustin sighed: "Ugh! That's bad."

"You got better?"

"Mmm, how 'bout…you ever hear this one: 'Knock, knock.'"

"'Who's there?'"

"'Boo.'"

"'Boo who?'"

"'Boo Hoo.'"

"'Boo Hoo, who?'"

"'Awww, don’t cry Simon; your joke wasn’t that bad.'"

I turned to him. "Ah haw. That was so funny, I forgot to laugh!"

Anyway, that made him drop a cup, 'cause he couldn't stop laughing – at me, I guess.

And in that laughter, I felt something for him – like what his cousin had said about boys our age staring into the mirror and beginning to admire their own looks – but what I saw in Dustin now was a developing and nameless tenderness in myself. Something was not quite as it had been. I almost felt, as Dustin aped a grin and jostled his torso side-to-side on the cold folding chair, that I was looking at some sort of funhouse mirror. The image I saw was mine; it was recognizable, and yet also wonderful and mysterious because it showed a facet of me to myself that I had never quite seen before.

Paxton quietly entered the room. He came with glances over his shoulder, and pushing his broad broom; he was all smiles for us.

"You guys better keep it down. Miss Skalicky is not someone you want yelling at you – believe me, I know!"

"Hey Pax," Dustin said.

Our teenage janitor stood and leaned his hands and chin on top of the broom pole. His face and the back of his neck were haloed by the thick yellow hoodie he had on under his jumpsuit.

"Those look great, Dustin," he praised.

"Hey, what about my rocks?!"

"Yeah, Simon. Good job, they still look like rocks."

The cousins laughed, and Paxton's thin frame rocked on the axis of the broom like a pogo stick.

"Nah," he added. "They look great too."

Dustin spoke up in tones like it was a secret, "Hey, Paxton – play something for us. Simon, you've never heard him sing."

"Oh yes I have! Caterwauling at 60 miles an hour."

"Man," Dustin was serious. "I mean, really sing." Then he added to Paxton with a more pleading tone: "Come on. No one will know."

Paxton inhaled and stood erect. He propped his broom against the wall and nearly tiptoed to the door. In a second, he leaned out of it with hands locked in the frame, and elbows bent. Then he kicked up the stop and let the door close. He came back to us in an animated thrill: licking his lips, jerking his brows, and cracking knuckles.

He lifted the cover from the keyboard, and sat at the piano like a jock running onto the football field.

As he ticked a light run up the scales, he told us, "Here's one I wrote for my girl, Krissy."

The tempo started and it was slow and deliberate. He hummed with the intro, then began to sing his ballad with a soft intensity that made me want to shiver – shiver from heat, if that's possible.

His voice was a richly mellow baritone, with the raspy bite of a true rock star around its edges. He made love with that voice to the young woman he wanted to be with, always.

 

"Sometimes, I'm just tired –

At the end my feet drag the ground,

And I'm not inspired –

Question my voice for its own sound."

 

He changed to a higher key.

 

"But then I remember who I'm going home to,

And the ride in my car is like flyin' in the air,

'Cause when I get home, I know what you'll do –

You'll wrap arms 'round me; say you’re glad I'm there."

 

Then he downshifted back to the starting mellowness.

 

"So kiss me baby –

And melt every mile.

Just for you maybe,

It all seems worthwhile."

 

He hummed with the bridge, then started the melody again.

 

"Sometimes, I'm just wired –

Anxious and feeling upside-down,

In my own head mired,

Thinkin' thoughts that are better drowned."

 

"But then I remember I have you to talk to,

So whatever burden I have I know you'll share,

'Cause with each other, you know what I'll do –

I'll wrap my arms 'round you; say I'm glad you're there."

 

"So kiss me baby –

And melt every mile.

Just for you maybe,

It all seems worthwhile."

 

"And if I get fired –

'Cause they don’t want me around,

Then, be reassured,

With your love I won't tumble down."

 

"Instead, I'll remember who I'm going home to,

And the ride in my car is like sayin' a prayer,

'Cause when I get home, you'll know what to do –

You'll wrap arms 'round me; you'll be my repair."

 

"So kiss me baby –

And melt every mile.

Just for you maybe,

It all seems worthwhile."

 

He ended with a simple chord that reverberated around the room. Paxton stood, and asked me simply, "What'd ya think?"

"You'll be famous one day. That's what I think."

A slow-motion smile warmed his expression, his ashen hair suddenly moved in a bashful way.

Paxton's mom came in the door, making a sort of kicking sound, as her hands were full.

"Was that you singing?" she asked, but her intent was on the tray balanced on her arms.

"Was I too loud?" he asked, taking her tray.

"No, son. You sounded perfect."

Paxton made a dismissive sound with his mouth. "Ugh. You're a mom; you're required by law or something to say that."

Mrs. Day laughed: "Believe it if you like. Or, don't."

The tray was set on Dustin's table, and for the first time I got to see the full effect of what he was making.

The Styrofoam cups had shrunk to about half size, and the edges had curled up all the way around, then gone flat.

"This batch baked up real nice. You're doing a good job, Dustin," Mrs. Day said. Then added pointedly to Paxton, "Don’t you have work to do, son?"

He pursed his lips in fake annoyance, roughly gabbed up his broom, and mother and son left the room arm-in-arm, and in good cheer. Meanwhile, Dustin had picked up a finished 'hat,' and used a small ice pick to make two holes in the brim. Raising it, he eyeballed it closely, and slipped in the two metal stays of an elastic band.

He stretched the cord around his chin and let the thing plunk on top of his blond locks like a tiny little top hat.

He tossed out his arms, and modeled it for me. "Well, what do you think?"

I had to stand up and inspect it, using that excuse to pull down his shoulders so I could meet his eyes. The scratchiness of the wool distracted me from the silly hat, and I slipped into the open honesty for me peeking from behind sky-blue windows.

I laughed: "It's crazy."

But, I could not ignore that my interior emotions belied the outward show of glibness. The fabric under my touch made me want to itch a hard-to-reach place in my brain. For somehow, my thoughts about Dustin were suddenly complex, and to my great surprise, tender – very tender.

Copyright © 2017 AC Benus; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 13
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Why do everyone from giggly girls to stupid boys and maybe even teachers conspire against Simon? Why can't they just leave him the fuck alone and let him enjoy his innocent friendship with Dustin no matter what it may develop into. But Paxton is great.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/16/2014 03:21 PM, Timothy M. said:
Why do everyone from giggly girls to stupid boys and maybe even teachers conspire against Simon? Why can't they just leave him the fuck alone and let him enjoy his innocent friendship with Dustin no matter what it may develop into. But Paxton is great.
This time I'm not so sure that 'Madam Jodisia' was playing with Simon, not in the way that Klay and the other boys were. But yes, they can't seem to keep their thoughts to themselves when it comes to Dustin and Simon's friendship.

 

Paxton is great; I love his song.

 

Thank you for your review, and support of the project.

Link to comment

I was able to let go for a bit...Simon's eventual cruelty and just immerse myself in this chapter. The idea of Jodisia giving such a message to Simon was confusing because it sounded sincere yet logic says it was a deliberate continuation of the cafeteria table dig. Klay is the ultimate schoolyard ass that some boys will always follow blindly. Simon seems to have him pegged in this chapter though. Bringing up the swimming to Dustin shows where Simon's head is going and by chapters end he seems to recognize what he is feeling as in, he can put a name to it. I wonder does this frighten him to the point he rejects those feelings in himself? It would be my guess that Paxton knows exactly what is transpiring with Dustin and Simon, and I wonder that the song sung to just the two of them, was his seal of approval. It was the kind of song you would conceivably sing to two young lovers. It was a great chapter about potential connections and awakenings set in that most confusing of places where we all must learn to navigate, namely, school. Thanks for this...cheers...Gary

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Well, Gary pretty much said all I was going to...I have to wonder if Jodisia was playing with Simon's mind or not--I don't actually think so, which means she has psychic powers or is a keen observer of those around her. People like Klay just make me sick--and it saddens me to think that Simon is going to give in to such pressures despite what his feeling are turning out to be.

Did you write the song lyrics? I thought they were very evocative, and wish they were a real song! You know, with the way Paxton and Dustin and his family are, you are probably going to make me cry when the story gets to the rest of that horrible playground scene. Only one other writer at GA so far that I've discovered has made me do that--Nightowl.

Shame on you for being such a powerful storyteller! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/17/2014 12:39 PM, Headstall said:
I was able to let go for a bit...Simon's eventual cruelty and just immerse myself in this chapter. The idea of Jodisia giving such a message to Simon was confusing because it sounded sincere yet logic says it was a deliberate continuation of the cafeteria table dig. Klay is the ultimate schoolyard ass that some boys will always follow blindly. Simon seems to have him pegged in this chapter though. Bringing up the swimming to Dustin shows where Simon's head is going and by chapters end he seems to recognize what he is feeling as in, he can put a name to it. I wonder does this frighten him to the point he rejects those feelings in himself? It would be my guess that Paxton knows exactly what is transpiring with Dustin and Simon, and I wonder that the song sung to just the two of them, was his seal of approval. It was the kind of song you would conceivably sing to two young lovers. It was a great chapter about potential connections and awakenings set in that most confusing of places where we all must learn to navigate, namely, school. Thanks for this...cheers...Gary
You guys are putting me in a really tough position. There is a lot I would love to say, but I cannot really give the store away at this point.

 

Maybe I will just ask you all to hang on tight.

 

Paxton is great, and maybe we will find out what he thinks and feels about Dustin and Simon later on.

 

Thank you, Gary – as always!

Link to comment
On 09/17/2014 01:28 PM, ColumbusGuy said:
Well, Gary pretty much said all I was going to...I have to wonder if Jodisia was playing with Simon's mind or not--I don't actually think so, which means she has psychic powers or is a keen observer of those around her. People like Klay just make me sick--and it saddens me to think that Simon is going to give in to such pressures despite what his feeling are turning out to be.

Did you write the song lyrics? I thought they were very evocative, and wish they were a real song! You know, with the way Paxton and Dustin and his family are, you are probably going to make me cry when the story gets to the rest of that horrible playground scene. Only one other writer at GA so far that I've discovered has made me do that--Nightowl.

Shame on you for being such a powerful storyteller! :)

ColumbusGuy, I hope you can glance at my comments to Gary on his review of this chapter. Please just hold on a bit longer…

 

As for the song, yes, it is mine, and I too would love to hear it on the radio! Thank you for saying that, and thank you also for rubbing your snitch fingers at me as way of compliment ;')

Link to comment

Yes, I loved the song too. Surely could easily be put to music and sung! And be a hit!

I love the way you capture details in words and evoke so much in a few short sentences that create atmosphere and emotion. You do this as well as you paint and build the characters. Beautiful writing. Thank you.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 09/22/2014 10:52 PM, Jaro_423 said:
Yes, I loved the song too. Surely could easily be put to music and sung! And be a hit!

I love the way you capture details in words and evoke so much in a few short sentences that create atmosphere and emotion. You do this as well as you paint and build the characters. Beautiful writing. Thank you.

Jaro, thank you so much. I could not conceive of nor construct a more flattering and personally meaning sets of compliments as you have given me here. It makes me humble to try and keep the balance that I strive for in my prose piece.
Link to comment

I thought Mdam Jodisia was being supportive, but she had to do it when alone with Simon.

 

The song was beautiful AC, perfect.

 

I like Paxton. ..

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 02/14/2016 12:54 AM, Mikiesboy said:

I thought Mdam Jodisia was being supportive, but she had to do it when alone with Simon.

 

The song was beautiful AC, perfect.

 

I like Paxton. ..

Thanks, Tim. I appreciate and love all of your Simon reviews. I suppose you are right about Jody, and she could not deliver her message in front of the likes of her friends.

 

Paxton moment to shine and sing about the love of his life is one of the personal highlights of my work. It's wonderful you mention it specifically; thank you.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..