Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Four Letter Words - 5. PAWN

I held the garbage bag firmly in my hand as I approached the house. I stood in front of the front door and calmly turned the doorknob. It was locked, naturally.

 

“They’re on vacation, of course.”

 

I patted my pockets down, realizing I didn’t bring my spare key with me.

 

“Oh yeah.”

 

In a moment of recollection, I reached into the mailbox and took out the spare key. Quietly I slipped inside.

 

First I went to the front room, but there didn’t appear to be anything there that I wanted. There’d definitely be nothing in the kitchen or the dining room, so I headed downstairs. With a grin I headed over to my younger brother’s XBox. I shoved all the games and accessories I could find in the bag. Next, I took all the computer stuff I could.

 

Going back up to the living room, I pondered if there was anything else I could fit into the nearly over-flowing garbage bag. In a stroke of brilliance I remembered my mother’s jewellery box. In the blink of an eye, I was upstairs in my parent’s room, hovering over her most prized possessions. It was mostly filled with costume jewellery, but I took her gold necklace and diamond rings.

Within minutes I was back outside, locked door behind me, waiting bus in front of me. The bus was mostly empty, but I was still getting stared at because I was wearing thinner clothes then what the weather dictated and I had a huge garbage bag with me. I saw at least one person give a nod of understanding when I got off the bus in front of the pawn shop.

I’ve been here many times before, so without breaking a sweat I walked in and started placing the valuables on the counter. They always rip you off, but I didn’t need a whole lot of money, just enough for another fix, so I didn’t really care.

“You got a good haul today, Ben.” The guy behind the counter told me.

“Yeah, parents made a donation.”

 

“I don’t even want to know.” He pulled out a calculator and started punching in numbers. “I’m at $200, how’s that sound?”

 

“Yeah! Sure!”

 

“Alright, I’ll just need to grab some paperwork, on account of them diamonds. I’ll be right back.”

 

I leaned against the counter, trying to be as patient as possible. I glanced over at the pile of my parent’s and brother’s stuff and as my eyes looked at each object, a memory popped into my head.

 

“I can’t do this any more.”

 

In one swift motion, I swept everything back into the garbage bag and I bolted out the door.

 
Copyright © 2014 advocatus diaboli; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

This reminded me of something that happened years ago. It rings all too true for me having been robbed. I just love these short little stories. They are quick to read and always have an interesting twist. Bravo! :)

Link to comment

I thought of another pawn, some sort of revenge, but a fix. That was a something! Are you sure you were inspired by futurama?

Link to comment
On 12/13/2013 10:15 PM, nostic said:
I thought of another pawn, some sort of revenge, but a fix. That was a something! Are you sure you were inspired by futurama?
No, silly goose. This has nothing to do with Futurama. :P
Link to comment
On 12/13/2013 09:15 AM, A.J. said:
This reminded me of something that happened years ago. It rings all too true for me having been robbed. I just love these short little stories. They are quick to read and always have an interesting twist. Bravo! :)
<3
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..