Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Four Letter Words - 4. WINK

There were other coffee shops that were closer, more convenient and cheaper, but I had to go to this one. It was quite by accidental, really - fate. While out shopping, my friend wanted to relax, so we went into this shop and he caught my eye immediately. He's the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in my entire life. He didn't end up serving us, which may have been a good thing, because I'm not sure I would have been able to talk to him.

Ever since I laid eyes on him, I was hooked. I had to come back, and I did, every day. I'd sit quietly, reading the newspaper and I'd secretly steal glances at him. He did different things every time, sometimes he'd take people's orders, or he'd make their drinks, or be cleaning. But regardless of what he was doing, he was gorgeous. I'm not going to lie, cleaning duty is probably my favourite, because it requires him to bend down quite a bit. If the stars aligned, it was an amazing view. My close second is when he served customers. You could just tell from looking at him that he was full of life and really enjoyed talking to people. His smile was infectious and I couldn't help but break out into a huge grin every time he did. His laugh, while I've never heard it, sounded hearty and full. He's just absolutely amazing.

It's been weeks, and I haven't mustered up the courage to talk to him. I come here almost every day and I haven't been able to say a word to him. If I walk into the shop and see he's behind the register taking orders, the butterflies in my stomach force me back outside into the cold. But finally, after all this time, I've found the courage to take the first step. I was sitting in a booth, facing the counter on the right side. I had my newspaper in front of me, but I was looking at him over it. He turned my way and I gave him a wink and a smile.

His face... popped. I can't really put his facial expression into words, besides saying that it was absolutely adorable. He hastily turned away and whispered something to a female co-worker of his. She nodded and motioned for him to go into the back. He hastily made his departure and I frowned when I realized he was no longer in sight. I went back to reading my paper, occasionally glancing up, to see if he had returned.

Maybe he was interested and had asked to go on break to come talk to me? I glanced up again and noticed him walking past the door. He was talking on a corded phone, pacing back and forth. I glanced at my watch and noted that he's been in the back for at least 10 minutes. I wonder who he is talking to? A friend, to work up the courage to come see me?

After several more minutes, he returned to the front and spoke to his co-worker again. She nodded and they went back to work - he ignored me. My head was buzzing, he was making a point to not look my way. Did I upset him? My stomach was in knots, but went through the roof when I noticed a police officer enter the shop. He glanced up, noticing the officer and pointed directly at me. The butterflies were back, I was panicking. What was going on? What is happening?

Before I knew it, the police officer was standing in front of me. "You're going to have to come with me, sir."

Copyright © 2014 advocatus diaboli; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 5
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

I guess if I worked in a coffee shop and some guy came by every day for weeks and kept staring at my arse I might start freaking out, too. :P

Link to comment

The ending took me by surprise, but given I visit a Starbuck's at least 5 days a week and often the same people are there each time I'm not sure how you would notice the difference between stalkers and coffee fiends. :)

Link to comment

I agree with Thorne and nostalgic, the guy was stalking. Nice to see the self-serving blather of the narrator pushed aside. I didn't see it coming either, perhaps because so many stories portray such behavior as romantic.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..