Jump to content
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Four Letter Words - 3. TYPO

This is more personal (and recently relevant) then most of the other stuff I write and thus was really difficult for me. I apologize if it doesn't flow properly or is otherwise not up to par.
To: Brandon_The_Teddybear@rainbowmail.cim
From: joseph.roberts@fabulousemail.com
 
Subject: Please read.
 
Hi Brandon,
 
I know we said we wouldn’t contact each other. I’m really sorry for writing this to you, but I feel like this needs to be said and you need to see it. I can’t get you off my mind and I’m sorry for how things turned out. Things got really crazy for a while, which was my fault and I’m so sorry. I’m kicking myself now, ruining things with you. I love you so much.
 
I know it’s been awhile since all this happened, but I can’t get you off my mind. It’s driving me crazy, the thought of you no longer being a part of my life. I hope you respond, but understand if you don’t.
 
I’m so sorry,
 
Joseph.
 
---
 
There. It was short and to the point, but a lot longer than I hoped. If that makes any sort of sense at all. Nothing made sense right now, in my head. The last few days have been nothing but thoughts of him. It’s been driving me slowly insane, not being able to get him out of my mind. It was torture, thinking about him and how I drove him away.
 
I stared at the words on the screen. Reading and re-reading to make sure that they were exactly what I wanted them to be. I’m not sure if it’s because I’ve been staring at the screen for so long, possibly without blinking, or the content, but tears started to roll down my eyes. I wiped them away with my hand and clicked my mouse, hovering over the send button.
 
“This message has been sent.”
 
I switched to the Junk folder and quickly closed my laptop, with a slam. I have to do something to distract myself, otherwise I’ll drive myself crazy. I took it off my lap and put it on the couch beside me. I stood up and began pacing back and forth, freaking out.
 
“What if he doesn’t respond?”
 
Oh god, that will tear me up.
 
“What if he does respond?”
 
Jesus, who knows what he’ll say. Maybe he’ll flip out at me, for contacting him. Maybe he’ll yell at me, or say he hates me. That would break my heart. Or… No, I shouldn’t think that. I don’t want to needlessly get my hopes up.
 
I’ll go for a walk, I decided. Fresh air to clear my head and distract me and tire me out a bit. It’ll also get me out of the house, so I’m not tempted to check for a response.
 
It worked for a bit, but not for long. By the time I made it back home, I was itching again. Watching T.V. didn’t help, either.
 
“I suppose I might as well.”
 
I put the laptop onto my lap. I feel the weight of it, like a thousand pounds, crushing me down into the couch. With a deep breath, I flick open the lid.
 
The screen turns on and prompts me for my password. I enter it and it logs in. I pull up the browser and it says I have one new e-mail in my Inbox. With an indescribable bundle of emotions, I click to see what the new e-mail is.
 
“This message could not be delivered.”
Copyright © 2014 advocatus diaboli; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 8
  • Sad 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

With the title, I read everything carefully and still missed it. Enjoyed it a lot, more so as we all have done it. :)

Link to comment
On 09/20/2013 04:31 AM, Kiltie69 said:
With the title, I read everything carefully and still missed it. Enjoyed it a lot, more so as we all have done it. :)
Thank-you very much. The typo is in the e-mail address.
Link to comment

It flowed just fine. I was wondering if the i in the addy was the typo of the title or just a typo in the posting till the last line. It was the only one that stood out!

Link to comment
On 09/20/2013 05:02 AM, Kitt said:
It flowed just fine. I was wondering if the i in the addy was the typo of the title or just a typo in the posting till the last line. It was the only one that stood out!
Yeah, that's it. Because of that, the email wasn't sent...
Link to comment

I really liked this short story. First, because it is so easy to mistype an email address, and as an admin I have seen that people mistype their addresses all the time. Second, because I have also used my writing to help deal with the pain of a situation. Sometimes life is out of our control and we are never able to reconnect with those with whom we no longer talk. Third, I sent an ex a message a few months ago. I had all this emotion built up and needed to release it. The minute I hit send I started to regret sending it. I wish I had screwed up the email address like Joseph in your story. I wonder now what Joseph is thinking. Will he re-send his message, or will he do nothing? Why did he push him away? Will Brandon respond and is he also feeling the same way? I LOVE it when an author makes me ponder what happens after the story ended. :)

Link to comment

Tricky. You. I didn't catch that screwed up address either. I thought maybe the mail account had been deleted. Hard to know sometimes just when it is that it's best to let go. I like this chapter.

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..