Jump to content
    Amikawrite
  • Author
  • 2,695 Words
  • 2,366 Views
  • 5 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Contract of Love - 4. Chapter 4: A Lot of Work

First days at work are never easy especially when you have a boss like Xavier White.

Chapter 4

Louis’ POV

I look up at him as I note down the serial numbers on the files Mr. Thompson gave me a while back. I have been told that I have to work from within Mr. White’s office. Great! Xavier in front of my eyes for the whole day is going to do wonders for my mind. Note the sarcasm.

He looks really tired. I have noticed him almost dozing off a couple of times in the past hour. He has an important meeting in two hours as per the schedule Mr. Thompson handed me. I need to sit with him today after work is done and understand the relations the company has with others and take a note of the important people since I have to take care of his schedule from next week. Mr. Thompson has been kind enough to offer to help me out with it for this week.

“You can sleep for now. I will wake you up before the meeting. You look like you need to rest,” I say.

Xavier nods at me before sinking in deeper into his cushioned chair. It takes him just a few minutes to doze off. Why am I so concerned about whether he needs to sleep or not? It is my job to make sure he is alright. Nothing more than that. But he looks so handsome with that unguarded look as he sleeps! Fine he looks good but he can’t be a good person with him forcing me to work for him like this!

I have enough thoughts to keep me engaged as I start clearing his desk. This man surely does not know the meaning of organization and cleanliness. His desk is cluttered with loose sheets of paper and open files. The pen holder is empty and has been relegated to the floor while pens and pencils are scattered liberally between the sheets of paper. Most of the pens have been separated from their caps and the papers keep peeking out of folders.

I get to work having finished noting the serial numbers of the files given to me. I gather all the loose sheets in a bundle before tidying up the files on his desk. I place the papers back into their folders before arranging the files according to colour in a line on his desk. Atleast whoever made these files had enough sense to put papers related to one project in files of the same colour.

I place the bundle of paper on the floor and start grouping the sheets according to the titles. I find that several of the pages have red markings on them and I separate them from the pile realizing those are meant for correction. Well this is tough work. I find a number of empty folders in the drawers in my desk and start putting the papers into the folders making sure to label each folder.

Having cleared the files and papers from Xavier’s desk I begin to collect the pens and putting on their caps. I can’t understand how he can keep the pens open like when he has documents spread out on his desk, perhaps he wants ink to spill on them so the documents have to be made again. Okay now I am just concocting reasons to dislike him.

I sharpen the pencils I find on his desk one by one before placing them into a compartment in the pen holder. Yes I have a problem with untidiness and his desk was a real mess an hour back. I come to his side to place the pen holder on his desk and I hear a crunch under my foot. Looking down I see food packets littered below his huge polished oak wood desk. Did no one teach him to use a dustbin?

Unable to ignore them I begin to fish out the packets from underneath his desk. Good thing his chair is shifted away so I can get about my work without disturbing his sleep. After bringing out possibly the 30th packet of food I pick them up and dump them into the dustbin. I have to applaud him for the variety of his food choices. The packets I found include candy wrappers, biscuit packets, pizza boxes, ramen cups and empty packets of string cheese. I will have to ask someone from the cleaning staff to clean the area under his desk otherwise I am sure it will become home for a family of rats.

I have been on cleaning duty for almost 2 hours now. What was I supposed to do after 2 hours? I look up at the sleeping man in front of me. He does look good with that beard. The meeting! There is an important meeting! I check my watch. The meeting is due to start in 10 minutes. I need to wake Xavier up.

“You need to wake up now. The meeting is in 10 minutes,” I nudge him.

Xavier doesn’t respond. Clearly he is still asleep. I put my hands on his shoulder and shake him in an attempt to wake him up. I succeed in my intention as he opens his eyes lazily.

“Meeting. In 10 minutes,” I remind him.

“Give me a kiss. Then I’ll go,” Xavier says casually.

“What? No!” I respond clearly surprised.

“Then I am not going,” he replies.

“But Mr. Thompson said that it is an important meeting. Everyone will be expecting you there,” I reason.

“I will just go and tell them that you refused to let me go,” Xavier says.

“When did I?” I ask.

“You won’t kiss me so I won’t be going,” he shrugs.

He isn’t budging and seems ready to go back to sleep anytime now. I don’t want to cause trouble on my first day here. His lips are perfect, surrounded by his beard they seem to be inviting me. I don’t have any other choice, do I? I lean in slowly and tilt my head slightly to angle my lips on his. It feels good. His hand comes up behind my head as he kisses me back hungrily. His other hand snakes around my waist, pulling me closer to him. His touch is magical. I feel like I am melting as his hand moves below my blazer and rubs my stomach over my shirt. I try to hold back a moan which ends up escaping as our lips part slightly.

Xavier slowly removes his hands from me and I hold onto his chair to steady myself. He is completely awake. He stands up quickly and buttons his suit. Grabbing his iPad from his desk he holds my hand as he starts walking towards the door. I pick up my notepad and a pen from my desk before holding his hand again and walking out of the office. He looks at me as I do, he looks pleased and a smile plays on his lips. Did I just hold his hand by my own free will?

Xavier’s POV

Who cares about this stupid meeting anyway? Louis just kissed me! His lips were so soft and felt perfect against my own. Another minute or so and I would have probably taken him on my desk. I swipe my key card and we walk in as the elevator opens. He is still blushing as he stands beside me in the elevator. I didn’t know how he would react when I held his hand. I wasn’t too surprised when he brought his hand out from my grip but I wasn’t expecting him to come and hold my hand again after fetching his notebook. I look down at his hand, still in mine. He hasn’t tried to remove his hand.

I have half a mind to walk into the conference room with his hand in mine. The elevator brings us to the 50th floor and Louis immediately lets go of my hand as the doors open. He walks out and waits for me but refuses to look at me. He follows me silently as I walk towards Conference Room-3. Most of the people are here. I shake hands with Mr. Quence and introduce Louis to him. I sit down with Louis on my right side. The general manager of the New York branch stands up and greets us before the lights are dimmed and the presentation starts.

I am bored already. I have reviewed all this data previously and I don’t feel the need to go through the same thing in diagrammatic form right now. Louis is taking lots of notes. I pick up the notebook in front of me and tear a sheet out. I scribble the words “You look cute” and pass it to Louis. Louis takes the paper in his hand and looks at me before scribbling something on the paper and returning it to me. I read the words written. “No I am not. Concentrate on the presentation. >.<” I can’t help but smile at the emoticon as I scribble on a reply. “But it is boring. :(” I write. Louis shakes his head as he reads it and writes back “Be a good boy and study :p”. “What do I get if I am a good boy?” I write.

The lights are switched on just as Louis begins to read my reply. Bad timing! I notice that Louis hasn’t been able to complete his notes. He glares at me as he sees me looking at the half empty page on his notebook. He quickly turns the page to show me two other pages filled with notes. Notes from before I decided to start passing chits. I am trying not to yawn as I look at my father. Good thing he is dealing with Mr. Quence. I stand up and shake hands with Mr. Quence once again before nodding at my father. Louis follows me as I make my way out of the room.

“You didn’t tell me what I would get for being a good boy?” I whisper as we get into the elevator.

“Well you weren’t a good boy. So nothing for you,” Louis states.

“That’s not fair since I took the responsibility of entertaining you during the boring meeting on my own self,” I defend.

“Distracting me you mean?” Louis corrects.

“You got me there,” I accept.

Louis gives me a victorious grin. I want to spend lunch hour getting to know him. Will it be alright for me to invite him out for lunch? I haven’t been out for an informal lunch for quite some. And I am quite fed up of having processed and packaged food or fast food.

“Want to go out for lunch?” I propose as we walk into my office.

“No,” he mumbles. Just as I am ready to say ‘Okay no problem’ Louis reasons, “I have my own lunch packed with me today.”

“Girlfriend?” I inquire.

“Why would I do that with you if I was dating someone?” Louis retorts.

Louis immediately turns so that I can’t see his face as he realizes what he just said. I feel like giving him a hug but I stop myself and walk to my desk. Placing my iPad on my desk I notice how clean and organized my desk looks. There are pens and sharpened pencils in the pen holder on one side of my desk. The files are systematically arranged in one line towards the front and there are labeled folders which I see have the papers I have been correcting from this morning.

“Thank you for arranging my desk. You can eat your lunch now if you want to,” I smile.

“Do you want to share some of my lunch? You have awful food habits as far as I have gathered,” Louis offers.

“I sure will,” I answer as I start dragging my chair towards Louis’ desk.

“Don’t drag it! You’re going to destroy the carpet,” Louis scolds, causing me to lift my chair and place it next to his.

Louis takes out an airtight container from within his bag as well as spoon and a fork wrapped in a paper napkin. He hands me the spoon and takes the fork before opening the container filled with pasta which seems to be tossed in red sauce. I pick up a spoonful making sure to pick up lots of mushrooms and put it in my mouth as he starts his lunch.

“You should avoid having so much fast food every day. It isn’t good for your health,” Louis advises.

I think he is feeling at ease with me. He isn’t acting like the scared mouse he was in the morning. He seems comfortable having me beside him as he chews his pasta. Well this feels way better than those business lunches I have been attending lately. I don’t get the concept anyway. Why do I have to deal with problems that the company is facing or possible reforms even when I am eating? It has been a long time since I have had a leisurely chat over lunch.

“So you made this yourself?” I ask.

“Yep. Got to take care of myself. I am a big boy now,” he laughs.

“It tastes good,” I approve.

“Say, are you bipolar?” he hints.

“What? Why would you say that?” I cough.

“Well you are being so friendly and nice right now but you were being so mean this morning,” he explains.

“That was because you weren’t ready to listen to me this morning!” I inform.

“No one would if you just changed their employment contract without notifying them,” he pouts.

Does he not look adorable? He shoves in a spoonful of pasta into his mouth as he playfully glares at me. I want to kiss him again. If not for that stupid meeting I could have enjoyed sucking on Louis’ lips for a while longer.

“Want to have dinner with me tonight?” I smile.

“I have to sit with Mr. Thompson after work,” Louis notifies me.

“Some other time then,” I say putting another spoonful of the pasta in my mouth, “I will be depending on you for a healthy lunch tomorrow too.”

Well it isn’t as bad as I thought it would be. As long as I behave I don’t think Louis is going to try to run away from me. I allow a smile to come over my face as I walk back to my desk taking care to lift my chair. I keep thinking about it and I still can’t find a purpose for doing this with Louis. It’s an overwhelming compulsion and I have been working for enough time to realize that I shouldn’t let myself be bothered this much by a person. I know that I am acting foolishly and I am listening to my heart. But is it that wrong?

I am tired of playing around. I want to have someone to share my thoughts with, someone who will listen to me talk about my day after I come back home after a long day at work. I want to have a real relationship that will last and make me happy. I am confused with why I have chosen Louis of all the people I have known. Before I met him I thought I was straight but one night with him has me thinking otherwise. If there wasn’t anything about him I wouldn’t have considered spending the night with him who is obviously a man, in the first place.

I want to love him and be loved back. If you say I am weird because of that then I am fine with that. I am fed up of keeping up this image of the ideal person. I want to be able to show someone that I have my flaws too and to be accepted for what I am. I know this sounds clichéd and I am really shocked to be saying these things now but I just want someone to love me for me. I want someone to see me not as Xavier White, COO of MarshalSync or future heir but as Xavier White, a human being.

Please leave your suggestions/questions in your reviews. I would be happy to hear from you. :)
Copyright © 2015 Amikawrite; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 12
  • Love 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

The hand holding was really cute. "Did I just hold his hand on purpose?" lol Its going to be fun seeing how they get together, I just hope they don't cause huge misunderstandings cause they wont talk things out.

Link to comment

The chapter was sweet. I was pleasantly surprised that they lightened the atmosphere like they did and the back and forth at the meeting was cute. I was surprised he didn't introduce Louis to his father or speak to him after the meeting. His father and he must not be very close. I am impressed that Louis is taking this in stride. He seems to be more willing to see the positive in Xavier than I expected. I'll be interested to see what he is thinking about all of this. I'm surprised they systematically avoided discussion of their night together or at least what they both felt as a result or specifically, why Xavier felt the need to trap him in a contract. I wonder when that will come up. For now, I guess they are both willing to give this a chance which is good. look forward to more

Link to comment
On 02/27/2015 01:28 AM, Chezakeeba said:
The hand holding was really cute. "Did I just hold his hand on purpose?" lol Its going to be fun seeing how they get together, I just hope they don't cause huge misunderstandings cause they wont talk things out.
Hopefully one of them will be smart enough to start talking!
Link to comment
On 02/27/2015 07:07 AM, Cannd said:
The chapter was sweet. I was pleasantly surprised that they lightened the atmosphere like they did and the back and forth at the meeting was cute. I was surprised he didn't introduce Louis to his father or speak to him after the meeting. His father and he must not be very close. I am impressed that Louis is taking this in stride. He seems to be more willing to see the positive in Xavier than I expected. I'll be interested to see what he is thinking about all of this. I'm surprised they systematically avoided discussion of their night together or at least what they both felt as a result or specifically, why Xavier felt the need to trap him in a contract. I wonder when that will come up. For now, I guess they are both willing to give this a chance which is good. look forward to more
Thanks! :)

Well both of them appear to be quite shy and atleast one of them (read, Xavier) can be a bit uptight sometimes. :P They will talk about it a bit later when they have both had some time to process things I suppose.

Link to comment

Lovely story so far . Was kinda hoping at some point the story pattern would change , rather than using so much" I did this, I thought this, " which kinda gets a little tiring cause you wanna see things from the writers pov rather than just the characters . But I'm still enjoying the read . And you can be a little more graphic with the make out scenes , makes it juicier :*)

Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..