Jump to content
    Amikawrite
  • Author
  • 2,682 Words
  • 1,915 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Contract of Love - 7. Chapter 6:Nice Talking To You

It is fun to have a conversation provided the other person is interesting enough.

Chapter 6

Louis’ POV

I should probably send a text thanking him for tonight. But I already thanked him in person. It is just a text. I don’t want to be rude. What should I write?

‘Thanks for tonight. I look forward to your next treat’ sounds good. No! He will think I am asking him to invite me out again. Just simple thanks should be enough. What is the use of sending out a text if I just write thanks? There is no need to write anything at all. I will thank him again tomorrow. How unprofessional! True I shouldn’t discuss a private dinner during business hours.

It was a nice place and I liked the food. He was fun to talk to. I love his beard. It makes him look so cool. He is actually very cool. All the girls at the restaurant were staring at him like crazy! And now my thoughts seem disjointed. I better get to sending out that text.

I pick up my phone and open the messaging app. Xavier looks nice in his profile picture. Solid colours do make him look better. I will just drop a message. And then I can get back to staring at his picture. I am just having a look, that is all.

‘Hi. Louis here,’ I write, ‘Thanks for today. J’

Will he reply? I guess not. I will take a shower before going to bed. I leave my phone on the bed. I don’t think it is such a good idea to carry my phone into the bathroom.

Xavier’s POV

I am so stupid! Why did I have to spout out all that nonsense today? Just because I was asked a question didn’t mean I had to answer it. Forget about going out with me again I am sure that Louis thinks I am a creep now. I would be lucky if he turns up for work tomorrow.

It is a good thing that we exchanged numbers today. Yes it is supposed to be meant for work but I happened to give him the number to my personal cell. An honest mistake you see. Not. It won’t be a big problem since Ben has my work number and all my other numbers as well so he can contact me if the need arises. Also I just went through my vacation pictures just to have a good picture for my messaging profile, I wasn’t going to waste the effort by giving Louis my work number.

I am bored with work. I am fed up of dealing with the mistakes of these incompetent subordinates of mine. I swear I am going to go on a mass firing drive one day just for fun. Why won’t they ask me if they don’t understand something? I would guide them but they have to come to me first. Also what is up with all the rubbish presentations they keep making? I don’t need so many diagrams of the same data. It was a good thing that I had Louis to chat with.

It was fun to distract him during the meeting. Louis has a smart mouth. I never know what he is going to say next. Oh! A notification. I sure hope it isn’t from the phone company. I pull down the notification tab on the screen. A message from Louis. I think I am done with work for tonight. I close my laptop and climb into bed. I can feel the smile that is coming over my face.

‘Hi. Louis here. Thanks for today. J’ the message reads.

‘Hey. Glad you had fun.’ I reply.

So…I am waiting for him to reply. It has been 10 minutes already. Has he gone to sleep already? Probably. I guess I will go back to work then. I finally thought that I would get the opportunity to behave like a teenager and fuss over the person I like. Guess that isn’t going to happen. Yes I am that bored, bored enough to be sarcastic with myself. My phone pings as I get out of bed.

‘What do you want for lunch tomorrow?’ the message from Louis reads.

He replied! Now I have to say something that will keep the conversation going. Looks like I am back to being a teenager.

‘I am fine with whatever you are planning to make. I wouldn’t want to seem like I am too demanding.’ I reply.

‘What is up with you being so considerate?’ Louis replies.

‘Just trying to impress you tongue.png

‘Hidden agenda. I see. tongue.png

‘I really like your pic btw.’

‘Thank you. I really like the way you style your beard.’

‘Try telling that to my dad. He keeps insisting on me shaving it off.’

‘Don’t shave it off. L It looks good on you. Even hotter than stubble.’

Dad I love you a lot but there is no way you can get me to shave my beard now. Not after I know that Louis finds me hot with my beard. It really feels like I am back in high school.

‘I meant better than the stubble,’ Louis writes.

Did I mention how cute Louis is?

‘I liked the ‘incorrect’ message better.’ I joke.

‘I was thinking about getting stir fried noodles for lunch tomorrow,’ Louis texts.

‘That sounds good.’

‘With lots and lots of veggies!’

‘Veggies? sceptic.gif

‘You do realize that your heart will burst from all the meat you consume if you don’t eat your vegetables.’ Louis texts.

‘^Look at me being so concerned about your food habits. tongue.png’ Louis follows up.

‘I am sure you will get my food habits back on track with your yummy cooking.’ I text.

‘Flattery isn’t going to take you too far. Just saying.’

I am fine with however far it takes me. I will manage the rest of the way to your heart. Well that was a cheesy thing to say.

‘I don’t flatter. I am just making a prediction.’

‘Now you’re back to being weird :3’

‘And you are back to being mean to me :’( ’

‘I am just being frank.’

‘Frankly you’re really mean L’

‘Frankly I am awesome.’

‘Actually make that adorable.’

‘Adorable? Me? ohmy.png

‘Absolutely. And sassy and wild too. tongue.png

‘Revenge for me being mean?’

‘I am just stating the truth.’

‘I am sleepy. I will talk to you tomorrow. Good night.’

‘Have a good night. Sweet dreams.’

Well that was nice. Now I have the energy to work again.

***

“Good morning sir,” Louis greets as he walks into my office.

“Morning,” I smile.

Louis puts down a cup of coffee on my desk. I really need my daily dose of caffeine to get me started. I sip into my coffee as my eyes go back to the document open on my screen. Capesco Enterprise is surely making a lot of problems for me. Davon Costa is trying to convince some of our best employees to quit and join his company. I am going to teach that guy a lesson but first I need to save the company from losing its elite workforce. I am currently going through the research document from the HR department. It states that Capesco is offering higher salary and better perks to get them to change over. They are offering revenue points in the sales of their new products.

Not a bad offer indeed. But this offer seems awfully conceited. What is this new set of products Capesco is planning to launch? It is as if they believe that they are guaranteed a hefty profit. I should find out some more about their new line of products. In the meantime I need to arrange for a team building outing. I am definitely not letting Davon take off with my crew.

***

Louis’ POV

Xavier seems quite tense today. Although I have been working here for only one day so this possibly is his work face. He was playing around yesterday so I did not notice but he looks really dedicated towards his work. Or maybe I am just looking for a way to praise him now.

On that note, what was I doing last night? I kept messaging him saying random things last night! For a moment I think it had slipped out of my mind that he is my boss. Should I apologize for the nonsense I said to him? I think that would be the best thing to do. Well he seems awfully busy right now so I will tell him when he is free.

The phone rings for the first time this morning. Mr. Thompson arranged for the calls to Xavier’s office to be handled by the First Secretary Department yesterday but I have to handle them from today onwards. I can do this! I have been practicing at home. Also I Googled how to use this type of a phone with multiple lines so I think I will do alright. Hurry up before it stops ringing!

“Good morning. Um…this is Xavier White’s office. Can I help you? I mean how could I be of help, which is of assistance to you?” I state. I need to practice more, I sounded too nervous!

“Oh! Shut up with your nonsense. Hand over the call to Xavier!” a lady with a squeaky voice screams from the other side. She doesn’t have to be this rude; it is my first time doing this.

“If you would be kind enough to state your name please,” I say clearly irritated with her manner of speaking.

“Rachael,” she declares with an air of arrogance.

“Rachael what?” I question.

“Just tell him my name, he will know. My name is too precious for me to tell you,” Rachael spouts. Yes because you belong to the Royal Family of Stuckups.

“Just a moment ma’am. I will get right back to you,” I roll my eyes as I put her call on hold.

I don’t feel like disturbing Xavier to ask him about taking the call from this lady. I am considering not telling him about it at all and disconnecting it as a little punishment for her high handedness. I should not let my personal issues affect my conduct at work. Fine I will ask him, although I definitely do not want to.

“Excuse me sir,” I clear my throat to get Xavier’s attention.

“Yes?” Xavier says without looking up from his screen.

“Miss Rachael is on the phone and is keen on conversing with you,” I state.

Immediately Xavier’s eyes dart up to look at me. I can sense a little bit of panic from the expression on his face. Who exactly is this Rachael? Don’t tell me she is his girlfriend. I swear I am going to kill Xavier if she is. I can already feel the anger and tinge of pain bursting through my calm exterior. What right do I have to be angry? Yes that is true. I don’t care.

“Tell her that I am…dead and…I am happy…in hell,” Xavier fumbles.

“What?” I ask. This is confusing.

“I don’t know. Just get rid of her please,” Xavier pleads with his hands up in the air.

I really don’t understand what is happening here but I am ready to follow my boss’ instructions here. I walk towards my desk and pick up the receiver, I reconnect with the call.

“I am sorry ma’am but Mr. White is not able to receive your call at the moment,” I say.

“What? Why not? Did you tell him that I am calling? You must have not mentioned my name,” Rachael accuses.

“I am sorry ma’am but I cannot help you,” I inform.

“You stupid fool. I am coming over right now! Wait till I tell him about your obnoxious behaviour! You will have your termination letter in your hand by the end of the day!” Rachael warned.

What is up with this woman? She calls me obnoxious but has she ever heard the way she speaks with people? Xavier doesn’t want to talk to her so he will surely not want her coming over during a work day. I need to get her to back off.

“Ma’am you are most welcome to come over,” I can see Xavier’s eyes going wide and him mouthing a ‘No!’ as start my my sentence.

“It would be great if you could get some air fresheners and some toilet paper on your way here. Actually Mr. White is working through a severe stomach infection. You would have to be here to realize the strength of his farts, they are like bombs,” I notice Xavier is laughing as he hears me speak, “Also some toiler cleaner would be of great help. We can’t get the stains off the washroom. You would think his stomach exploded from all of that.”

Xavier is on the floor now. His hands are pounding the floor as he laughs. I am waiting for Rachael’s reaction. The other line is silent for some time now so I wonder if she fainted.

“What? Ewww! Shut up and do that yourself. I am not coming over till he is not all hot and sexy again,” Rachael states.

“I can assure you that he retains his hotness and sexiness even though he is ill. I am sure he will appreciate your visit greatly,” I am trying hard to suppress my laughter.

“No way! I am not coming!” Rachael shouts. The phone beeps as she violently hangs up.

“That was awesome and pretty gross. I can’t stop laughing thinking about how she must have reacted,” Xavier says as he sits back on his chair. His booming laughter is filling up the room.

“Well she said that its eww and I should shut up and arrange for the toiletries myself. Also she stated that she would not consider coming over until you are hot and sexy again,” I mimic in a similarly squeaky voice.

“I liked that part where you stated that I retain my hotness and sexiness despite my illness,” Xavier smirks.

“So that is your girlfriend?” I think out loud.

Damn he wasn’t supposed to hear that. I didn’t realize that I said that out loud. I am really going to get my termination letter in my hand by the end of the day if I am not careful about what I say. Not that I want to know about his girlfriend, especially if it is her. Or anyone else for that matter. He shouldn’t have taken me out and spoken so sweetly if he already had a girlfriend. Why give a guy false hope? I was determined to think of it as a one off thing but he is the one who made me think otherwise. It is his fault entirely if he has an issue with his girlfriend regarding this. I am probably over-thinking this. I need to calm myself down and get back work. And stop reacting to every single thing!

“Girlfriend? Rachael?” Xavier is looking at me like I am crazy.

I simply give him a sideway nod.

“Hell no! That was Rachael Allensky. Her father is a sub contractor for our company. I met her at a party a few months back and for some reason she thinks I am into her. Her father’s firm makes really good quality products otherwise I wouldn’t have thought twice about cancelling his contract. Rachael keeps pursuing me like crazy. Believe me our office has all her numbers blocked but she keeps calling from a different number each time. I hate that attitude of hers, she acts like she owns the world and everyone is bound to listen to her and fulfill her demands,” Xavier explains.

“Well she does seem very rude,” I confide.

“I hate people like that,” Xavier shrugs.

“Everyone does,” I agree.

“Thanks for saving me from her,” Xavier laughs.

I smile at him and he smiles back. For a moment there it seemed like there was some connection as our eyes met. For just that one moment we seemed so in sync. Now wouldn’t that be wonderful?

Let me know what you think. Review please!
Copyright © 2015 Amikawrite; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
  • Wow 1
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Ok, so it was funny, though it kinda made it unbelievable that Louis would risk going there in a business setting. I'm glad he's been forward to with Xavier asking whether this chick is his gf. Glad he's showing the confidence to do that.

Link to comment
On 04/12/2015 12:22 PM, Cannd said:
Ok, so it was funny, though it kinda made it unbelievable that Louis would risk going there in a business setting. I'm glad he's been forward to with Xavier asking whether this chick is his gf. Glad he's showing the confidence to do that.
Thank you for telling me about your doubt. I will work on explaining that part in the chapters to come. :)
Link to comment
On 04/15/2015 10:07 AM, long1jo said:
Really great, can't for the next chapter
I am so glad you are liking it. Thank you so much for your support. :)
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..