Jump to content
    astone2292
  • Author
  • 1,172 Words
  • 404 Views
  • 12 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Rocky Prompts, Tennessee - 11. Prompt 119 - Troubled Path

A sequel to Rocky Prompts, Tennessee - Proper Path.
https://gayauthors.org/story/astone2292/rocky-prompts-tennessee/2
***
Your protagonist orders their favorite hot beverage at the coffee shop, stirs it with a strangely formed spoon, and suddenly the place is devoid of any customers. The door opens, and in comes a person wearing black clothes and a Venetian mask. Write the first lines of their conversation, or more?

"Aaron!"

Hearing the fast-food employee call my name, I dragged my feet to the crowded counter. It was a wonder I made it out of bed today. Grunting my thanks, I grabbed my usual order: a bland biscuit sandwich and a large coffee. I blindly pinched a plastic spoon, a tiny container of creamer, and several packets of sugar before miraculously finding a seat.

After I doctored my coffee, I peeled open the wrap on the spoon and stirred. The inky darkness lightened, and I barely smiled. I needed one sip, then I could enjoy my breakfast. The liquid graced my lips, scalding them. I managed to get a trace down my throat before I stirred. Hopefully, the coffee would cool before I had to leave for work.

The restaurant was oddly quiet. I scanned the lobby, concerned to see no one. Beeping alarms came from the kitchen, but no voices. I peered and noticed soulless workstations. The cashier was gone, and so was the horde of hungry patrons.

My grip on the spoon and cup loosened, but as my fingers slipped, I found something odd. The spoon was metal. Upon further inspection, it was black with ruby etchings. At the tip of the handle was a pearl with a weird gray swirl. The longer I gazed at it, the more fearful I grew. I had never seen anything like it!

"Beautiful, isn't it?"

I jolted in my seat. Across from me was a tall and burly man. His shiny, black hair dangled in his caucasian face, nearly obscuring the silver Venetian mask he wore. His taut and black, elegant clothing unnerved me. "Wh-who are you?"

"I crafted that one myself," he said, ignoring me. "It rings true in your grasp."

The man was abnormal! His stare was devious, and despite him being devilishly handsome, I wanted to run. My body, however, kept me frozen in place.

Something flashed in place to my left, and I flinched.

"Aaron," the new person muttered. "Leave."

I gasped. It was a clone of myself! Sporting a shorter haircut, he looked exactly like me, minus the glasses. "What the—"

My doppelganger snapped, and memories came flooding my mind. Murr's. The angry sea of people. My time guardian. I breathed heavily, confused as to what was going on.

"Ah," the masked man cooed, "this one has a guardian?"

"Leave this place," my protector warned.

"Not without him."

My clone snapped again, and time seemed to freeze. He turned to me and grasped my shoulder. "I'm giving you strict instructions, Aaron. Do not continue your daily routine."

"What the fuck is going on?" Frantic, I hyperventilated.

His grip tightened. "This hellfiend won't stay stunned for long. Do everything in your power to disrupt your schedule. It'll send alerts to my headquarters, forcing the system to order back-up guardians."

The masked man grunted, and his eyes glowed crimson. I was kicked from the booth. "Go," my guardian ordered. An obsidian knife slid from the fiend's sleeve, and my clone latched onto the incoming strike, slicing his hand.

I scrambled from the floor. Desperate for escape, I fled to the front door and fumbled for my truck keys. Glass shattering surprised me, and I pivoted. The two men were duking it out on the parking lot pavement. My guardian's eyes were shining white as he punched the enemy, cratering him into the restaurant wall. "Not the truck! Do things you would never do!"

My heart raced, and I was on the edge of having a panic attack. I quivered, glanced at the keys in my hand, and chucked them onto the business' roof. Just as I looked to my guardian for guidance, he was tossed violently into the drive-thru menu board from several yards away.

The fiend glared at me and sauntered closer. He held out the metal spoon. "Take it. Be free from this world's hindrances."

I fell backwards, landing on my ass. The two bodies flew over me, and I shielded my head in a fetal position. Getting to my knees, I could only watch as my clone was pummeled viciously. In a moment of clarity, I unclipped the box cutter from my belt. Shakily, I advanced.

The crimson eyes peered at me, stopping me in my tracks. "A mere human believes he can act against the likes of me. How charming." He rose and flicked a bloody fist. "Your guardian warns you to perform the unpredictable, and you do."

"Sh-shut the fuck up," I stammer, clutching my makeshift weapon.

He neared, and I backpedaled. "Come," he murmured with an outstretched hand. "You and I have much to—"

The fiend grunted, and a blue spike protruded from his gut. "Run, Aaron!"

Hearing my own voice, I knew my guardian was still alive. I had to act differently from how I normally would. Running away was my first thought. So I sprinted forward and raised my armed hand. I saw the look of fear on my clone's face, but I knew what had to be done.

I swung downward and plunged my blade with all my might, connecting to the fiend's skull. The head fell back, and I barely noticed the gushing blood. The blue spear receded, causing more to spill in front of me.

The man fell, and my guardian limped toward me angrily. "What the fuck was that?" He pushed me, then grabbed my shirt collar. "You were supposed to run!"

Shaken, I looked at the fallen figure. "B-but… That's what I was supposed to do." We were quiet for a few seconds before I assessed my guardian. He was bleeding from the head, and his left arm was nearly blackened from fire. "You're hurt."

He scoffed, turned, and swiped at the fiend's neck with the mysterious weapon. "It's not often I'm wrong. You're right… Running would've gotten us killed."

Remembering the fact if either of us died, the other would perish, I swallowed. "Who is that guy?"

"Why ask?" He glared at me, clearly annoyed with himself. "I'm about to wipe your memory."

I drop my knife and rub my temple. "Then why restore it in the first place?"

"I needed you to remember me and what I am."

"Then you should explain some shit to me!" Irritation and fury broiled within me. "If this shit's going to happen to me, then I deserve to know what else is out there."

He rolled his eyes. "Your race doesn't need to know anything."

My anger spiked. I stepped forward, prepared to punch my guardian in the face. He raised an arm and snapped his fingers.

***

"Aaron!"

Hearing the fast-food worker call my name, I waded through the waiting people. With coffee and bag of food in hand, I retreated to the drink station. It wasn't often I woke up peacefully and full of energy. Still, I had to stop and get my usual order before work.

Sniffing my doctored beverage, I sighed happily. It was going to be a great day.

Copyright © 2021 astone2292; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
  • Love 7
  • Haha 2
  • Wow 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Do not continue your daily routine."

I second that! Do something different, do a dance, write a poem. Knit a hat.

It's a message, people.

I like what you did with the prompt. Thank you.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
8 hours ago, AlexLittel said:

Great day!  Yeah, right!  LOL!  Hugs

It'll probably be a better day without the hellfiend trying to take me away. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
8 hours ago, Mancunian said:

It could even be a groundhog day lol. This a nice easy to read short.

Thanks, Mancunian. I saw this week's prompts, and 119 sparked some inspiration. I never thought I would continue my duties as a time guardian...

  • Love 4
Link to comment
7 hours ago, Aditus said:

Do not continue your daily routine."

I second that! Do something different, do a dance, write a poem. Knit a hat.

It's a message, people.

I like what you did with the prompt. Thank you.

I agree, but I'll worry for you if you throw your car keys on top of a McDonald's. 

This was a fun prompt, and I needed a little mental health break. Lots have been going on. Thanks for reading, Aditus!!

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
5 hours ago, drsawzall said:

Well done and do something unexpected, give us another chapter!!

Lol! When the inspiration strikes... 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Patch1 said:

I need to follow this advice.  I do the same thing everyday...same routine.  Time to step out of my safe little box!  I definitely need to step back and maybe take the road less traveled.  I sure do love your little Rock Prompts!!!  Hope you are doing well my friend!!!  So good to read your work again!  

I like responding to prompts every so often. It's been a while since I did, and this week's prompt team stimulated my imagination. 

Doing well. Lots going on, but I hope to be posting something lengthier soon. 

  • Love 4
Link to comment
raven1

Posted (edited)

A  fun action packed short.  You did a great job turning the prompt into a story.  I just hope when you mind was wiped, they didn't wipe out any new characters or stories you are creating.

Edited by raven1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, raven1 said:

A  fun action packed short.  You did a great job turning the prompt into a story.  I just hope when you mind was wiped, they didn't wipe out any new characters or stories you are creating.

Huh? Memory wipe? What are you talking about? :whistle:

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..