Jump to content
    Avangelion
  • Author
  • 3,793 Words
  • 674 Views
  • 4 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Plot Collection - 2. I'll see you again

Matthew ends up in the hospital after another heart relapse. Here he meet Damien.

I would like to dedicate this story to my dear friend FieldMan as his story 'A Night to Remember' gave me the inspiration to finish the idea on this short plot.

I knew I had it coming. She’d been telling me for years it would turn out like this. The fierce sound of heels clicking on the laminate hospital floor told me I was in for a long lecture.

“Matthew! What did I tell you?” Mentally I rolled my eyes; I knew what she was going to say. “Your body can’t handle the kind of stress you’re putting on it.”

I was born with a bad heart, but even after three surgeries and a bunch of different medications I wasn’t getting any better. The doctors were just prolonging the inevitable. I would need a transplant to have a chance of moving forward.

“Why do you think we were so careful when you were a child? Do you think this is what we wanted?” My childhood had be a mix of constantly worried parents and boredom. When I was ten, the doctors had explained to me why I couldn’t play sports and do all the other crazy stuff with my friends. But, that didn’t mean I hadn’t been longing to do just that. So, when I turned twenty and moved out of my parent’s house to live by myself, I choose to screw it all, and I’d spent the last five years looking for the next adrenaline fix. It had taken its toll on my body. She ranted on while I was lost in the memories, tuning out her voice.

“Mom. I know how you feel,” I interrupted and turned a tired gaze to her. “But this is my life. This is what I want to do with whatever I have left of it. I just want to… live.” The sound of passion and longing seeped into my voice.

“I know honey. But I don’t want to lose you.” Her voice hitched in her chest and I knew she was going to start crying soon. That’s how she was, first throwing a fit about morals, then giving in to whatever emotions she had going on.

“I know, but at least I’ll die doing something that I love and I’ll have enjoyed every last second of it.” She didn’t argue with that she just sat down in the chair beside the bed, in which I was currently stuck.

We spent the next hour talking about how I’d been. Since I traveled a lot during the summer season, I hadn’t seen her for a few months. She left just after lunch, feeling somewhat better, I hoped, though I knew she was still sad.

The doctor came to see me later in the afternoon to talk to me about my health situation.

“Due to your medical history Mr. Springholt We would like to keep you here for observation, for the time being.” Doctor Sanchez looked from me down into the medical file in his hand.

“I would like to do some more tests before the final decision. But, should you get another relapse you’re more than likely going to need an acute transplant to have any chance of pulling through.” It was clearly a warning for me to take it easy, and since I was hospitalized I was planning on doing just that, no reason to worry all the sweet nurses.

***

On my third day, while I was eating breakfast, I noticed someone at the door. However, every time I turned my head to see who it might be the person was gone. By the time I was done eating I felt kind of paranoid.

I was on my way out of bed to pursue whoever was playing tricks on me, when the sound of heels clicking on the floor quickly reached my room and my girlfriend turned the corner and entered.

“Molly?” I said in surprise. “I didn’t expect to see you.”

“Matthew, Darling.” She wore an odd expression on her face.

“Is something wrong?” I sat back down and looked at her.

“I – I can’t do this anymore Matthew,” she said and took my hands in hers.

“What do you mean?” I was confused, couldn’t do what?

“Matthew, I can’t spend any more time watching you trying to kill yourself. And it pains me to know I can’t do anything about it, because you obviously don’t want to change for me.” Her eyes became glassy as she spoke and she was clearly distressed.

“What are you – Are you leaving me?” I asked in disbelief, when the meaning of her words sank in. Now of all times when I needed her the most, to stay strong, she was leaving me.

“Yes Matthew, I’m leaving you,” she said and pulled her hands away straightening, tears now rolling down her cheeks. She turned around and started to leave.

“Wait – Molly wait.” I got up, panic coursing through my body. “Molly!” I called, but when I was halfway to the door a fierce pain shot through my chest and I clutched a hand to my heart.

“Are you alright son?” The voice of the elderly man, I was sharing the room with, reached me through the fog of agony slowly pushing me down to my knees. I did my best to focus and sought out the red string to call for help. I tried to make my way to it but the darkness crept in on me, and before I could near my life line I lost consciousness.

***

As I slowly came to I got the distinctive feeling I was being watched. Slowly, I eased my eyes open expecting to see the old man across from me staring me down; however, there was nothing there but a bare wall and two chairs flanking a little wooden table.

I raised a hand to my head, trying to clear the haze clouding my mind. I tried to push myself up into sitting position, wincing as pain shot through my body. I gave up and busied myself looking for the remote to the bed instead.

When I was finally in a more vertical position I looked around, taking in what I could of my surroundings with my sight still blurry.

The windows on my right might have displayed the green area at the back of the hospital, but that was just a guess. I turned my head slowly to my left, squinting in an attempt to even out the fuzziness.

The door to my room was open and everyday noises filtered in. Nurses wandered the halls and everything looked fairly normal, however something seemed off. I blinked a few times to clear my sight, that’s when I noticed a boy poking his head around the corner to look through my door, staring at me. I wondered why he would be doing that. When I zeroed in on him and made eye contact, he quickly straightened and stepped in. He stood stiff, a slight flush coloring his cheeks, but he didn’t say anything, seemed almost surprised.

For what seemed like a really long time, long enough to reach a point of awkward silence, we just looked at each other. Since he was the one intruding I was waiting for him to tell me why he was there. When he still didn’t say anything I frowned and then gestured for him to come closer. He didn’t even hesitate and came to stand beside my bed.

“So?” I asked him but only earned a looked of confusion on his face.

“Who are you and why are you spying on me?” He was a lanky kid with light skin and auburn hair. There wasn’t anything special about his appearance – until he smiled.

His eyes sparkled with happiness as his mouth stretched, showing off two rows of white teeth and revealing a dimple in each of his cheeks. The sudden charm of his fair features took me by surprise.

“Oh! I’m Damien – I’m here to… to… I’m cheering up the sick people” He stumbled on his words as if he didn’t know what to say.

“Okay – Why are you spying on me then?”

“Do you need cheering up?” he asked, avoiding my question.

“I – don’t think so.”

“Are you sad about your girlfriend?” My brows shot up in surprise. How had he known about that? – Oh.

“You were the one watching me.” I stated, flabbergasted.

“I was.” He looked down at his shoes in apparent shame.

“Did she come back? – Wait! Were you the one who called for help?”

“No, old Jack pulled his string and she was long gone when the nurses showed up.” He rubbed the tip of his shoe into the floor. “I’m sorry.” I let my head drop back onto the pillow behind me.

“Yeah – I should’ve seen it coming.”

“So, what’s your name?” Damien asked, now seeming totally unaffected by our shared sadness a moment ago.

“I’m Matthew.” I angled my head to look at him and he smiled at me again, I couldn’t help but smile back. Suddenly he turned to the door.

“Ah, gotta run.” And then he bolted towards the door, jumping to the side just in time to avoid the nurse entering the room, studying the file in her hands. When she looked up and saw me awake she smiled.

“Mr. Springholt, you’re awake.” She said with happiness in her voice. “I’ll go tell the doctor and have him come take a look at you.” I agreed with a nod and she left the room again.

“Mr. Springholt. I’m Doctor Walker. How are you feeling?” The doctor said when he entered the room about fifteen minutes later.

“Uhm, pretty much like I did this morning, except I’m a bit fuzzy.” He gave me a quick all-over examine.

“Well, you seem fine for the moment. But we’ll keep you at the Cardiology clinic’s emergency section for the rest of your stay. I’ll go let you family know you’re fine, I believe they would like to see you.” With that he was off and after another ten minutes Mom, Dad and my older sister Joyce filtered through the door, concern written all over their faces.

After a lot of fussing about, they finally let me have dinner, which I ate being carefully watched by three pairs of eyes. They stayed for two more hours, just to be sure that I was really fine, and when I was finally alone I called it a night.

***

The sound of heavy breathing woke me up. I tried to ignore it for as long as possible, hoping some miracle would occur and I’d fall asleep again. It didn’t happen.

“Damien –” I said my voice grouchy with sleep. “You’re in my space again.” I had no Idea why he thought it funny to stare at my face so close it almost made him cockeyed. I reached up a hand and placed it in his face pushing him to arm’s length before I opened my eyes. I met his gaze through the space of my fingers before I searched out the clock.

“Kiddo! Why are you up at freaking six thirty in the morning?” I grumbled into my pillow.

“I’m not a kid!” he complained. “I’m the same age as you.” He almost sounded proud, or maybe it was ostentatious.

“Yeah – sure you’re twenty five. And I’m a flying elephant.” I turned my head back to look at him, grinning.

“I’m eighteen,” he confessed. Damien was a nice kid and funny. Although he’d told me he was here to cheer up the people admitted to the hospital, I wondered why he was spending so much time with me – especially, at six thirty in the freaking morning. Ever since my relapse a little over a week ago he’d been coming to see me every day, he seemed to have taken an unusual liking to me.

We’d talked about a lot of things. Mostly he told me all kinds of stories from his young and happy life; damn that kid had pulled a lot of shit. And by now I had the feeling I knew his family as if they were my own, he talked so fondly of them, especially his twin sister Sammy. In return I told him about my traveling; about all the things I’d seen, experienced, and he’d been like a little sponge, soaking up every bit of information I’d given him. Pretty much the only thing we didn’t talk about was why I was at the hospital. Sometimes, I had a distinct feeling he already knew, and well, other times I wondered if I should tell him. However, he was so happy when he was with me I didn’t have the heart to break it to him.

I lowered my arm to look at his face. We stared at each other for a moment. Something was different about him today. He was squatting beside my bed so our heads were level, his back towards the windows. The rising sun behind the thick white curtains left his face in shadow. I could only just make out the expression on his face; his brows furrowed and his lips puckered.

“Damien?” I asked, my voice low, unsure. He leaned forward again and to my astonishment he pressed his lips against mine. If it had just been a peck I wouldn’t have thought any of it, but he kissed me. His lips were soft on mine, and I wasn’t in any doubt about the feelings behind it. Before I could collect my thoughts enough to decide whether to respond or not he pulled back.

“You know – It was love at first sight.” His voice was small laced with uncertainty.

“Damien –” I didn’t know what to say.

“No – It’s okay. I never assumed you’d feel the same. I’m just happy you don’t mind me being here, with you.” I scooted over on the bed, lifting my covers and gestured for him to join me.

“It’s still early, get some sleep.” I held him close and felt him slowly drift off to sleep. I lay awake for some time, wondering if I would be able to return his feelings. Over time maybe. Before long the feeling of Damien’s body against mine made me drowsy and I too soon fell asleep.

I woke when the nurse drew the curtains, announcing the start of the new day. I lifted my head, still groggy with sleep, and realized Damien was gone. Damn, that kid sure knew how to play ghost.

“Good morning Mr. Springholt. Breakfast is in half an hour and one of my colleges will be here at ten to get you, for your exam.”

I slowly sat up. The last couple of days I’d felt awful waking up in the morning. My head was spinning and my body hurt. I thanked the nurse and got out of bed to go to the bathroom. One look in the mirror told me I looked just as bad as I felt. I was pale with dark circles under my eyes. I sighed and washed the remnants of sleep off of my face, brushed my teeth, and used the loo. I got dressed just in time for a nurse to step through the door with my food.

I watched television for a while after breakfast before I had to go have the tests done. The hospital really liked doing tests. The nurse who came to collect me took one look at my face and insisted I let her take me in a wheelchair. Why? I had no idea, surely I could’ve walked on my own?

By the time I was done with all the tests I was glad of the chair though. I was so tired I felt I might drop any moment.

Later that afternoon Doctor Walker came to see me about the results. I was shocked about the advanced state of my illness, but not really surprised I wasn’t getting any better. I didn’t feel any better, I just hadn’t imagined it would be so fast moving. The Doctor left with the promise that he would inform my parents as I’d whished.

When I was about to get ready for bed that evening, Damien popped in again. He reluctantly entered the room, dragging his feet, hands buried deep in his pockets.

“Damien.” I tried to sound happy, but the tiredness sounded through I’m sure. “I have something to tell you,” I said, deciding it was about time I told him. I didn’t want him unknowing if I should suddenly kick the bucket on him.

He was silent while I spoke, the only indication that he was upset were the tears streaming down his cheeks.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you before Damien, I should have. But I’m not getting better; in fact, it’s going downhill, fast.” I did my best to give him the bad news as gently as possible, but it didn’t keep him from jumping up with a heart breaking sob and throwing himself into my arms crying.

A few days later I wasn’t able to get out of bed and the nurses had been in, doing their best to make me comfortable, or at least make sure I had everything I needed. Including one of those tube things so I wouldn’t have to leave bed if I needed to take a leek. Damien poked his head through the door, smiling, and came to my side grabbing my hand in comfort.

“You look somewhat happier today,” I said, my voice tired.

“Yeah – I took care of a few things, and now everything is back to good.” Ever since I told him about my condition he had been down, but this sudden change of mood was nice.

“So how –” I started, but just as soon as he’d arrived he had to leave. Once he was out the door Doctor Walker entered.

“I have good news Mr. Springholt. We have a heart for you.” My face lit up in surprise.

“You have been scheduled for your operation later this afternoon.”

“Oh, that’s great.” I smiled back at the Doctor. He went over all the formal stuff about this operation, after my family was contacted. I didn’t get a chance to talk to Damien again. However, I saw him standing out in the hall, looking at me with a genuine smile of pure happiness on his face, during the visit with my family.

Before I knew it I was being collected and taken to the operating wing.

***

I remember waking up briefly and speaking with a nurse about how I was feeling, before drifting off to sleep again. I woke again later and was offered something to eat, but I think I declined. The third time something slowly pulled me towards consciousness. My eyes fluttered open long enough for my brain to register that it was the middle of the night. It was dark, except for the light coming from the hall, which cast a golden glow into the room. Annoyed I turned my head away from the light but regretted it immediately as a wave of dizziness hit me. When my world finally stopped spinning I noticed the thing that had woken me. Something was stroking against my hand.

“Damien?” I asked when my eyes landed on him. The mask of relief on his face confused me because tears were running down his face.

“I’m glad, you know. I’m happy that you’re going to be better now.” He looked at me with a big smile on his face, the happiness and the sorrow twisting his face into a grimace.

“I wish I had a little more time.” My state after the operation and the medication was making me confused and it was hard to focus on him.

“What are you talking about Damien?” I rasped. He lifted his gaze towards the door looking at something. I didn’t dare turn my head to look, afraid the dizziness might take hold of me again. It didn’t make me feel so good.

“I have to go now, Matthew.” The way he said my name made my new heart thump in response. Damien stood and locked his gaze on mine. “We’ll see each other again. I promise.” He bent and kissed me leaving the taste of his tears lingering on my lips long after he’d left the room.

***

Two weeks after the operation I was feeling a lot better, so far there hadn’t been any complications. During my recovery my thoughts, as well as my sincere gratitude, often went my donor. He had been a coma patient at the hospital, but of cause the staff couldn’t give me his name.

I was finally being moved to the heart transplant recovery center for further monitoring later that afternoon.

Damien came to my mind as well from time to time, I wondered when he’d show up again. He had said we’d meet again after all. Even so, something about that visit bothered me, something wasn’t right, and how had he gotten in, in the middle of the night anyway?

“Mr. Springholt?” A nurse knocked on the door. I tore my gaze from the window to look at her. “Mr. and Mrs. Young, your donor’s parents, have sought permission to meet you, and would like to know if you will allow it.” I sat stunned for a moment. Wow, I hadn’t seen that one coming.

“Sure, you can let them know I would love to meet them.” The nurse left with a thank you and twenty minutes later a knock sounded on my door. A dark haired woman in her fifties entered first followed by a tall man, his hair already starting to turn gray at the edges.

“Hello.” The woman said. Her eyes were puffy as if she’d recently been crying. The tall man reached behind his wife and himself pulling a girl, no a young woman, forward. Her face was tear-streaked and her makeup ruined, but behind that something about her seemed familiar, and that’s when I realized.

“You’re Damien’s family!”

 

THE END

 

 

I don’t understand why you had to leave – Why did you have to go away

You were my everything – Now I have nothing

I am barely keeping it together

I try to stay strong – But I’m slowly falling apart

My life is like a living nightmare – An empty dream without you

I do my work as I have to – I act good

I put on a great smile – So nobody will worry

When I get home

I eat I shower – I prepare for tomorrow

And finally

I kneel down beside my bed

I look to the stars through the window

And whisper

“I’ll see you in my dreams”

- Jeanette Trotter

Please leave a note on your thoughts about this story. that would make me mighty happy :thankyou:
Copyright © 2017 Avangelion; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 6
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

What a wonderful, but sad story. Had a feeling Damien wasnt "real". He was correct when he told Matthew he'd see him again. Now they're connected forever.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/07/2016 06:33 AM, jaysalmn said:

What a wonderful, but sad story. Had a feeling Damien wasnt "real". He was correct when he told Matthew he'd see him again. Now they're connected forever.

Thank you for reviewing. I was a bit worried that the impact wouldn't be quite what i had hoped for, but I'm glad to hear that it was, after all:)

I'm glad you liked it :D

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Wow!!! That was a heart wrenching story. Up until the end I thought it was linked with previous chapter. When I read the last, I get the light of the story. It was cleverly written and presented here. There is love and as well as the sadness.

 

You sparked in this story... :)

 

~Emi GS.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 08/09/2016 02:46 AM, Emi GS said:

Wow!!! That was a heart wrenching story. Up until the end I thought it was linked with previous chapter. When I read the last, I get the light of the story. It was cleverly written and presented here. There is love and as well as the sadness.

 

You sparked in this story... :)

 

~Emi GS.

Thank you.

 

I wanted to try writing something different from the rest I've made.

 

I'm glad you liked it :)

 

Maybe I should note that the chapters are seperate stories.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..