Jump to content
    Bill W
  • Author
  • 3,229 Words
  • 3,745 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The Castaway Hotel - 5 - 25. Chapter 25 - Making Choices

What had happened at the school dominated the discussion at home that evening. Each of the boys was eager to share his opinion about why the boy had acted so rashly and what was going to happen to him next. Although I gave them some time to talk these things over, I eventually did my best to get them to focus on other topics, but they continually kept coming back to the bully and his inadequate attempts to harm our family. Therefore, I let them continue this discussion until bedtime, while hoping it would be enough to sate their fascination with the boy’s obsession with their sexual orientation. I could only imagine what thoughts and visions consumed their dreams that evening.

The young man was going to be arraigned the next morning, and by the time I arrived his public defender was scrambling about trying to make a deal with the prosecutor. He understood his client had used up all of his ‘get out of jail free’ cards after his previous run in with us, so we were all pretty sure the P.D. would never let this go to trial. He was smart enough to realize the boy couldn’t take the chance a judge would be lenient on him, seeing this was a repeat offense. However, we all realized that no matter what deal the lawyers struck, it would most likely include a significant jail sentence this time around.

As he was being led from the court, his uncle walked beside him and tried to talk to him. “What’s the matter with you? I thought you were smarter than your father. Didn’t you learn from our talks about how he ended up the way he did? Didn’t it scare you to know he’s going to be spending ten years or more of his life in prison, for spreading his hatred? We thought you would learn from that. What were you thinking?”

Hearing this, I realized we had all been misled about the details behind how the boy came to live with them. Although they officially claimed the boy’s father was locked up as a repeat D.U.I offender, it was now evident the reason for his incarceration was much darker than that. He had most likely been convicted of some sort of hate crime too, so now we understood how the boy came by his attitude.

I could see his aunt and uncle were in anguish over this situation, so I went over to see if I could comfort them. As soon as they saw me, they started apologizing and trying to explain the situation to me.

“Mr. Currie, we’re so sorry about what our nephew did again,” his uncle began. “We really thought he had learned his lesson after the last time. I guess he spent too much time around his father when he was little, which gave my brother time to pass his brand of hatred on to his son. That idiot belongs to one of those white supremacist groups and is currently doing time in prison for attacking and harming an innocent couple.” After admitting this, the boy’s uncle was nearly in tears. I could see this troubled him deeply.

“What are they going to do to our nephew now?” his aunt asked, looking older than she had the last time I’d seen her in court. It was clearly apparent her ward’s actions had taken its own toll on her.

“I’m not sure, but I would be willing to wager he’ll be spending some time in jail for this,” I replied, “and I also suspect he’ll be expelled from school as well, since this took place on school property. If he hadn’t painted that particular comment on the windshield, it might not have been so bad for him, but that will have a big impact on what punishment they’ll dole out this time.” His guardians looked confused, so I explained.

“He used another derogatory term, but this time he put it in written form, by painting it across the windshield of our car,” I admitted

After hearing this, his aunt and uncle apologized to me once more and then attempted to comfort one another, as they turned to leave the courtroom. Their nephew had been escorted out several minutes earlier by a couple of sheriff’s deputies, so they just left and went home to try to rationalize what had happened for themselves. I didn’t envy what they were going through. Lord knows I would never want to endure anything like that myself, but I couldn’t blame them for what their nephew did. Although they seemed like honest, caring people who had tried to do their best to rectify a bad situation, I knew they were blaming themselves for not having a greater influence on their nephew and preventing him from following in his father’s footsteps.

No matter how hard we try to get those we’re responsible for to see the errors of their ways or learn from others’ mistakes, many other factors come into play and exert influence over them too. Due to these other factors, there are times that no matter what we as adults do or say, we lose a certain amount of control over what concepts are presented to our children and how they respond to those ideas.

Unfortunately, these outside influences are expanding all of the time. It wasn’t so long ago that the family, church, school and peer groups were the biggest influences on a child’s behavior. However, as technology expands, so do these other influences. We have now reached the point where our children are also influenced by what they see on television, the movies and their games, as well as what they can potentially be exposed to on the Internet. Who knows how many more of these outside factors will crop up in the future, but parents will need to be increasingly vigilant about what takes place between their children and these outside sources, but sometimes this will still take place without their knowledge.

On some occasions, these external influences may be people or sources we consider to be harmless, until something like this happens, and then it’s too late to undo the damage. I could empathize with what his aunt and uncle were currently going through and share their pain, but I also suspected that what they were feeling and having to deal with would go on much longer than anything we had to handle, due to their nephew’s actions. Not only did they feel bad about what he had done, but now they also had to worry their own son might have been irreversibly influenced by his cousin’s antics and beliefs.

As I suspected, the school board also moved quickly and expelled the boy for his actions. It was kind of a moot gesture, seeing he would be in jail and wouldn’t be able to attend anyway, but they weren’t about to let this opportunity slip by without taking an official stand. The Board had been in close contact with the police department and already knew this kid was going to be out of circulation for several months, but they felt they had to protect themselves and the district, as well as make a statement to the other students by doing their part. The district also issued stricter guidelines concerning harassment of all types and outlined harsher consequences for such actions, including the mandatory reporting of all such cases to legal authorities.

A couple of days later, we heard the two sides had reached a plea agreement and this kid would spend a year in jail as a result of the deal. He would start off by being segregated from the general population, but since he would be turning eighteen in a month and a half, he would then be moved in with the rest of the inmates at that time. I thought about what might happen to him after he was thrust in with some of the more hardened criminals and also wondered if any of those whom he had mouthed off to before would still be there and recognize him.

Besides worrying about the possibility of him being abused, I was afraid such a move might also put him in contact with others who shared his views, which might possibly serve to reinforce his beliefs and raise him up to the next level of violence and hatred. I really hoped that didn’t happen, but too often it seemed to be the rule, rather than the exception. In turn, many of those coming out of jail or prison are more dangerous than when they went in, since they were able to learn more tricks of the trade inside and had been exposed to contacts they might not have otherwise been aware of. However, for the time being that wasn’t our concern.

Since this episode was now behind us, we moved on with the other demands in our lives. Trey had already met with the contacts I had made for him and was able to explain what he would need from each of them. After he presented his wish lists, those making the final decision would tell him if they could do it, offer him alternatives or explain why they couldn’t help, unless he made some changes.

During this same time, Sammy and Dion met with the tailor, in order to allow him to take their measurements, so he could make their uniforms fit correctly. Of course, he would have to make several different variations of what they would wear, to accommodate for the passage of time. The first of these outfits would be the one they would be wearing when the ship sank and the plane crashed, but then there would be a variety of ‘aged’ versions of the same thing, with each showing more wear and deterioration than the one before. The main characters were supposed to have spent many months marooned on the island before their rescue, so the last of their uniforms would be mostly rags.

The boys were also working with Trey to learn their lines and practice the non-verbal skills they would need to pull off the early part of the play – the time before the main characters were able to learn enough of the other’s language to communicate with words. They were also instructed as to how they should respond to different situations and what actions and phrases would be appropriate for that time period, but Trey also made certain they understood some of the history too, so they wouldn’t do or say things which were too modern for their roles. The boys would also be required to alter their hairstyles for this as well, using a cut that could be converted to look like what might have been worn during the 1940’s. Neither boy had a problem with any of the things Trey was asking of them, as they were beginning to get into their roles and looking forwarded to pulling this off. Now, my only worry was that Trey might have two hams to deal with before he completed his project.

During this same period, Ricky received another phone call about the exchange student program. The primary purpose of the call was to ask if he’d have any problem giving up his summer vacation to be able to take part in it. However, before Ricky answered this query, he was quick enough to try to find out the reason it was being asked. Ricky was then informed it was because the seasons south of the equator were the opposite of those north of the equator, so the schools in those countries would be in session while our schools were on vacation. Therefore, the students interested in being part of the program and heading to one of those countries would have to also be willing to leave almost immediately after they got out for the summer. They would attend class at their new school throughout OUR summer and the first half of the next school year, and then have the option of staying there for their host school’s summer vacation or return home to finish up with their own graduating class.

Once this was explained to him, Ricky asked if he could have time to think about it and talk it over with me, so the caller told him he would allow him forty-eight hours to make up his mind. Before concluding the call, he also gave Ricky a number where he could leave a message, once he’d made his decision. After jotting down that information, Ricky thanked him and hung up, before coming to explain everything to me.

“Dad, I just got another call about being an exchange student!” he exclaimed. “They didn’t say I’d been chosen, but I don’t see why they’d call if I wasn’t,” he added, realizing he must be one of the leading candidates to be asked such a direct question.

“Why do you say that? What did they tell you?” I wanted to know, even though I had my suspicions.

“Well, the guy asked me if I’d be willing to give up my summer vacation to do this, because of the different seasons on the other side of the equator,” he explained. “Why would he ask me that question, if they weren’t planning to send me?”

“Well, maybe they’re asking everyone that same question, to weed out those who aren’t really committed to doing this,” I offered. “Did you even consider that possibility?”

“Not really, but it still means about the same thing,” he replied. “I guess if I really want to do this, I’ll have to tell them I’ll be willing to give up my summer vacation.”

“That assumption seems correct,” I confirmed.

“So, do you think I should call them back and tell them ‘yes’?” he asked me.

“That has to be your decision, Ricky, and the answer depends on how badly you want to do this,” I explained.

“Oh, I think you know how much I want to do this, Dad,” he asserted, without hesitation. “This would really mean a lot to me, if I were able to go.”

“Then I think you’ve answered that question for yourself,” I shot back. My response caused him to look at me thoughtfully for a couple of seconds, as he considered what I’d said. Once he had gone over everything in his mind, he spoke again.

“He asked me other questions too,” he added, catching me slightly off-guard.

“Like what?” I pressed.

“Well, he also read me a list of countries that might have openings and asked me which ones I might be interested in going to,” he explained.

“So which ones did you tell them?” I wondered, aloud.

“Well, New Zealand wasn’t on the list, but I told him Australia or South Africa would be okay, since I think many people speak English there too.”

“Okay, I can understand your choices,” I agreed. “Did they ask you anything else?”

“Not asked, but told me something,” he informed me, before pausing.

“And am I supposed to guess what that was?” I teased.

Ricky smiled at me, amused by my comment. “No, but the guy told me I’d have to attend classes during our summer and the first half of our school year, and then I’d have the choice of staying there for their vacation or returning home to graduate with my class.”

“That’s interesting,” I commented. “Do you know which you might like to do?”

“Not for sure,” he informed me. “It would be fun to stay a while longer, wherever I go, so I could see some other parts of the country during that time, but it would also be nice to come back and finish with my brothers and other friends too. I mean, Pat and Jay will be graduating at that same time and I wouldn’t mind being in the same ceremony as they’re in.”

“Yes, I think I figured that out,” I said dryly, referring to the fact that I knew Pat and Jay would be graduating too. This time, however, Ricky gave me an annoyed look, rather than being amused.

“What would you do if you were me?” he finally asked, once he got over being sidetracked by my last comment.

“Well, I’m not you, so I’m not sure what you might want to do,” I began, “but I might be able to offer you a third option.”

“Really? Like what?” Ricky wanted to know.

“Well, I might be able to arrange it so you could stay for an extra month, which would give you a chance to have a short vacation and see more of whatever country you’re in,” I began, “and then still be able to come back here in time to finish up with your class. If you chose that option, you’d have to be willing to make up any of the work you missed during the extra month you spend away.”

“That would be awesome,” Ricky shrieked, almost immediately. “I like that idea a lot.”

“Even the part about making up the missed work?” I teased.

“Yes, even that,” he confirmed, “if it means I’ll be able to see more of the country I’m in than just the city or village where I’ll be living. That was the only thing I wasn’t happy about.”

“Well, it would clear that problem up for you,” I added.

“It sure would,” he agreed. “I think I’m going to call the guy back and tell him what we’ve decided. Is that okay with you?”

“Sure, if that’s what YOU’VE decided,” I emphasized, because he’d said ‘what we’ve decided’ when asking his question. I wanted him to understand this was his decision, not mine or ours.

“It is, Dad, and I’m glad I’ve got you to think up all these great ideas,” he told me, before throwing his arms around my neck. “Thanks.”

“Hey, what else do I have to do with all my free time, now that I’m retired?” I joked in reply. “My only responsibility is to take care of a house full of boys, but they do most of the work.”

“No way!” Ricky nearly screamed. “We couldn’t do it without you.”

“You’re kind, even if you are stretching the truth,” I challenged, which caused Ricky to glare at me, but I could see the wheels turning in his head.

“Are you calling me a liar?” he asked, with an evil grin on his face.

“Far be it from me to do that,” I replied, while trying to avoid his challenge.

“I hope not,” he warned me, “because then I might have to think up a way to get even with you, if you were.”

“Oh, really? And how might you do that?” I countered.

“Oh, I have my ways,” he insinuated.

“Yes, and I think I still remember most of them,” I replied, sarcastically, “like how you used to harass all of us when you were younger.”

“Who, me?” Ricky whined, while flashing me his patented ‘injured feelings’ look.

“Yes, you, but I was hoping you’d outgrown that stage,” I challenged, hoping to shock him and play off of his ego.

“Well, you never know,” he shot back without hesitation. Having said that, he gave me a smile and a wink before he left the room, leaving me to wonder what he might be planning.

Copyright © 2010 Bill W; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 7
  • Love 4
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..