Jump to content
    Billy Martin
  • Author
  • 213 Words
  • 1,398 Views
  • 8 Comments
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

An Intropection - 3. The Shadow

This poem was written about a time I spent in the hospital when I was in my mid-teens. This was my second operation to have a tumor removed. Once they got in, they had to take out a kidney. I felt like nothing I did was making a difference. My body was working against me. And when my parents visited, I would always see the tears in their eyes when they looked at me. I was starting to give up. Then nightmares began. I couldn't take it anymore. Then one day, my best friend visited me.

The Shadow

A shadow, a faceless figure stands off in the distance, in a black cloak dressed.
My eyes narrowed, searching for the unknown motive, trying not to stress.
As the shadow draws nigh, darkness seems to surround me. Where's the light?
The heart quickens, cold sweat, muscles tense, I turn and take flight.

I awake to the sound of beeps, in a room of white and disinfectant smell.
Voices outside the door, people dressed in white, a place I know too well.
Familiar voices enter the room. A man and a woman I hold dear.
I look into their faces and turn so not to see the tear.

Each night the shadow returns. Each night I hide or run.
Each night the shadow grows. Now the days are without fun.
Where has my childhood gone? Why do I have this fight?
The night grows darker and even the days are fading light.

A friend visits, my strength returns to fight my fight against my fear.
With his laughter and his love, fun returns, and the light is near.
With the love of parents, the strength of friends, I laugh in the Shadow's face.
I fear the shadow no more, in the light I walk. To catch me now, he must quicken his pace

a href="http://www.thetrevorproject.org/">Please, if you feel you can't take anymore, it will get better. There's nothing life can throw at us that we can't over come or find a way around it, it will get better. Nothing last forever, including the bad times, it will get better. Reach out to someone, talk to someone, share your feelings, it will get better. Never ever give up, it will get better. There are organizations that are there to help us through the bad times, it will get better. The Trevor Project is just one of those, reach out to them, support their work, it will get better.

The Trevor Project

Copyright © 2011 Billy Martin; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 16
Poetry posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Now why on earth would you consider "leaving it to those who can" when you can as well. Interesting use of imagery here Billy. If anything you can easily expand on it. That is the one thing about writing from life. You can play with it and turn it into many forms. Keep writing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/24/2011 12:47 AM, comicfan said:
Now why on earth would you consider "leaving it to those who can" when you can as well. Interesting use of imagery here Billy. If anything you can easily expand on it. That is the one thing about writing from life. You can play with it and turn it into many forms. Keep writing.
I'm not totally sure what you mean by expanding, but I'm interested. You are more than welcome to write me anytime and have a willing listener or in this case reader. Thank you very much for reading and commenting. It means a lot to have anyone, but especially people of your talent to comment.
  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 10/27/2011 06:26 AM, Mark92 said:
Cool poem Billy, :) really enjoyed :) and two like points too am I generous or what?
Thank you Mark, and you're more than cool, you're awesome!
  • Like 1
Link to comment

Interesting Poem Billy...very interesting imagery, though it almost seems like a story written into a poem-ish format.

Remember: When people read poems or at least in my experience, they tend to feel them before they actually see the story behind the poem, I tend to see things in like a movie real in my head so that's why i can see a story in pretty much everything i read, even before the emotion. sorrry if i came off as overly critical...

liked it ^_^

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 11/09/2011 05:00 PM, Celethiel said:
Interesting Poem Billy...very interesting imagery, though it almost seems like a story written into a poem-ish format.

Remember: When people read poems or at least in my experience, they tend to feel them before they actually see the story behind the poem, I tend to see things in like a movie real in my head so that's why i can see a story in pretty much everything i read, even before the emotion. sorrry if i came off as overly critical...

liked it ^_^

Why be sorry when in fact there is a story within the poem. Here, I used the imagery to give you a taste of what was a traumatic time in my life. The story is my fight with my fears and how I was able to overcome them with the help of my family and friends.

 

Thank you for taking the time to read it and leave a review. It means a lot to me. Again, Thanks! :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
On 07/31/2012 05:54 AM, BeautybutBroken said:
Loved it. I must admit i did rate this story before i read it. But i had a good feeling about it. This poem was great. specool.gif
Thank you!
  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..