Jump to content
    Branflakes
  • Author
  • 489 Words
  • 569 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Short Stuffs - 5. Season's Call

This is a standalone piece.

Season’s Call

The air was cold and dry; the temperature was a chilly -20 degrees Celsius. The last snowfall had dumped quite a bit on this small town in eastern Ontario. The trees, mostly barren, were covered with a heavy dusting of frost and snow. Old Man Winter was back, and he was here to play his part once again. A few evergreens were leaning over; almost as if they were bowing down to salute his presence. They groaned a low, desperate wail under the weight. A thundering wail so indescribably low that any passersby would have mistaken it for generator five kilometres up the road.

Sleet now fell, slowly, but heavily, carving its jagged imprint into the snow and solidifying instantly. The sound of the icy pellets hitting the tin roof was constant like a drum; it caused a slight hum to reverberate from within the belly of the barn. It stood slanted in the open field, a ramshackle, rickety tribute of solitude. The strain of this new weight had caused it to shift; a crystalline mass suffocated the structure from top to bottom. It was hollow; a mere shell of what it used to be, for winter had already ravaged this place. This year, it had gotten greedy, and taken more than just the warmth from the lanterns hung haphazardly in the doorways. Despite this, there were tread marks leading away from one of the decaying doors. However, there was not a second set leading back in.

The icy wind blew harder and harder still. All that could be seen was a white mask threatening to cover the dilapidated face of the barn. Snow and ice threw itself around at high velocity. It piled itself higher, biting into any who dared to step outside of their homes. Not even those with sufficient candlelight or cover would dare venture out. They would wait for the cease the torrent’s roar. To those who did make the attempt to journey past this way, all that could be seen was the barn in an ever-blurring semblance of direction, that which had become a fusion of light and darkness. Hope and despair. The frigid night knew no mercy; as time waged on, even the temperature could scarcely fight the onslaught from above, and the temperature plummeted. Winter had come with a vengeance; eyes set to take his prize, and refused to leave. And he would not. For, the season had just begun, and winter hadn’t yet sated his hunger for life.

After a short slumber he’d come back with bated, frigid, breath. Whispering amongst the trees until their vivid colours fell to the ground in a careless heap, and withering flowers and fruit alike with his frosted footsteps. With a dizzying dance of cold, and contempt for all that is warmth and bright, the only price he dictates is life.

Why does winter covet the things we love the most?

All rights reserved. No part of this story may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval system, without the written permission of the author, except where permitted by law. This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, brands, media and incidents are either the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. The author acknowledges the trademarked status and trademark owners of various products referenced in this work of fiction, which have been used without permission. The publication / use of these trademarks is not authorized, associated with or sponsored by these trademark owners. Copyright © 2010 - 2021 by Branfakes.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..