Jump to content
    C. Henderson
  • Author
  • 3,148 Words
  • 1,372 Views
  • 9 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sacrum - 24. Chapter 24: Trust No One

Thanks to Vincent’s confession, I was left in a difficult predicament. The obvious thing to do was to turn him in. He was, very clearly, planning a government takeover of some sort. How he was hoping to accomplish that, I still hadn’t the faintest idea. Even if he managed to raise a few family members back from hibernation, how in the world was he hoping to win a war against the State? The State had unlimited resources, weapons, and soldiers. The State had ruthless Arani Deadnus, and many other experienced fighters. Vincent had, as far as I knew, Maratoni, two cousins, his mother, and a few secret supporters.

Then the thought struck me. He had me.

Had it all been about this? Our friendship, our relationship, him trying to get me to trust him? Was it all a way for him to acquire the ultimate State weapon—a Special?

Then another thought hit me over the head. If he had Maratoni, then he also had Demetrius. That’s two State weapons. And during their secret conversation in Nurse Mildred’s room, he had asked about Altieri. Did he have Luciana in his pocket as well? I was starting to feel both anxious and angry.

Anxious, because none of my revelations were helping me come to a solid answer. And angry at the thought of being used. Was I being foolish by trusting that Vincent Carandini’s interest in me was purely emotional and had nothing to do with what he could gain by having me on his side? Sure, he knew I wasn’t getting anywhere with my gift, but he also knew I’d get it eventually. Maybe just in time for his plan to work. But then why did Maratoni refuse to teach me? If they were hoping I’d help them, wouldn’t it be useful to actually aid me in mastering my gift instead of trying to make it more difficult? But perhaps Maratoni wasn’t as sold on me as Vincent. Maybe he didn’t think I’d use my gift to help them.

One thing was sure, Vincent didn’t have De Rossi or Normani. Maratoni had made it clear that the female vampires had been friends of Vinicius and would be harder to convince to join them. If that was the case, I needed to remain on their side—Vinicius’ side.

But then, why had Graham helped Vincent? Did he foolishly believe in his innocence, or was he going against what Vinicius would have wanted? I would need to ask him in person. The weekend couldn’t come fast enough.

I wanted to talk to somebody, but how much could I share with Laura and Angelo without getting Vincent in trouble? Then I noticed my childish pattern of thinking…Vincent was already in trouble, and maybe it was for a good reason. Why was I trying to stop it? It was all becoming too confusing.

Things got even more confusing when, walking back into school after taking Neo on his morning walk, I bumped into Demetrius. He was leaving the nurse’s room. Robyn, who was Declan’s shift switch, was walking a few paces behind me, and thankfully she was smart enough to give me space while I approached the stone-faced vampire.

It had only been a short while since I last saw him, but it seemed like he grew a couple more inches and became slightly more muscular. This wasn’t particularly shocking since Vampires born via the Valentini method—aka those that weren’t turned—stopped physically maturing at the age of 21 and would forever remain there. I wondered how much more Demetrius could fill out by then.

I felt alarmed by how excited I was to see him, and even more alarmed by what came out of my mouth next.

“You didn’t come and say goodbye before you left,” I complained, and my tone of voice revealed a lot more resentment than I had intended. It reminded me of when Dahlia complained about King Romero not making enough time for her, and the thought made me cringe. Was I really this upset about him leaving? He seemed slightly surprised by my words as well. He glanced over at Robyn, then at Neo, who was surprisingly docile at my side and hadn’t even barked at the stranger.

“I told you I don’t like goodbyes,” he replied, towering over me. His eyes glowing dark red yet again. How many human volunteers had he fed on, I wondered. Was he visiting Nurse Mildred for his sleeping issues?

“Still can’t sleep?” I asked. He hesitated in his answer.

“I sleep just fine,” he lied and started walking away. I couldn’t believe it. Why was he being so cold? After all, it felt like we had shared a bond before and during the Summit. Or at least I thought we did. Maybe Demetrius didn’t feel the same.

I followed him down the hallway, Neo at my side.

“Why are you avoiding me?”

“I’m not,” he replied, not looking at me. I had to half jog to keep up with his long strides.

“Demetrius stop, this is ridiculous,” I said and grabbed his arm. He turned around with a fierce expression on his face, and Neo quickly laid on all fours as if he was afraid.

“You shouldn’t do that,” he said in a low voice. “It’s not a good idea to grab me off guard like that,” he warned.

“What are you going to do, torture me?” I shot back. He seemed insulted by the statement but took a moment to collect himself.

“What is it that you want from me, Dani?” He asked in an irritated tone of voice, and suddenly I wasn’t sure. What did I want from him?

“I just thought we were friends,” I replied, sounding somewhat pathetic.

“Vincent is back, isn’t he enough of a friend to you?” He asked, emphasizing the word ‘friend’. I sensed something in his tone, but I wasn’t sure what.

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

“Just that you’ve got enough friends at this school, and there’s no reason for you to be all clingy over me,” he replied, and it felt like a slap in the face. Clingy? That was the first time anyone had used that word while talking about me. I wondered if Robyn heard. It left me speechless. There seemed to be some remorse on his face, but it was too late. He had already said it, and I didn’t feel like sticking around and listening to his excuses. I started walking ahead but was quickly pulled back by the leash in my hand.

“Let’s go Neo,” I called out, but the big black dog wouldn’t budge. He was laying in front of Demetrius, staring up at him.

“Dani,” the handsome vampire started to say but I didn’t want to listen to his words. I pulled at the leash.

“Come on Neo, let’s go!” I said. Still nothing. Feeling foolish about my lackluster exist, I pulled out the snack I had in my pocket to try to entice him to move. But he didn’t even flinch.

“Dani,” Demetrius started again but I shut him down.

“Don’t. Just go,” I said. He looked frustrated but didn’t argue. He started walking, and Neo almost ripped my arm out by dragging me behind him.

“Are you kidding me?” I said to the dog.

Demetrius turned around looking even more frustrated. He very clearly mouthed, “Stay,” and Neo stilled at my side. Then, confirming what I already knew to be true, he was gone.

I slammed the door to my room shut, trying to make sense of it all. Demetrius was Neo’s true master. The dog had obediently listened to his command, which meant the vampire had used his power on him during the Summit. Which meant he did it presumably to save me. But why? Did he still feel indebted to Vinicius for helping him out with his gift? Surely, he regretted his choice now since he viewed me as ‘clingy’. The word stung at my core.

Thankfully I didn’t have time to dwell on it too much. School work after winter break had become almost overwhelming, and between classes and spending time with Laura and Angelo I barely had time to think. And then Declan gave me a note from Graham which got me quite excited.

“Dani,

I’ll be coming by to get you for a little trip this weekend.

Please take your Block D vitamin ahead of time.

E. Graham.”

I reread the note smiling. Finally, there was something to be excited about. The rest of the week dragged on until it was finally Saturday. I kept worrying that he would cancel, but true to his word, he showed up at my dorm room and relieved Declan of his duties for the day.

“Where are we going?” I asked in anticipation.

“I’d actually like to show you my home, if you don’t mind.” I certainly didn’t. I was going half-mad sitting in my small room at Baritone. A change of scenery would prove most useful.

“Can I take Neo with me?” I asked. He hesitated, looking at the big black dog, but then upon seeing the pleading look on my face he simply nodded.

I followed him into the parking lot and put Neo in the back of the sleek black BMW.

“Here,” Graham said, handing me a pair of sunglasses. “The windows are tinted but it’s still light outside, it might hurt your eyes.” I put them on.

“You took your Block D?” I nodded and in one smooth go he reversed out of the parking spot and sped out onto the street.

He drove incredibly fast, but it was so smooth that I almost didn’t feel it.

“Is it okay with Trusting for me to leave? I forgot to ask,” I remembered suddenly, hoping that my headmistress wouldn’t start a missing search party for me. I was so sure that Graham would cancel our trip that I didn’t want to jinx it by asking her if I could go.

He smiled.

“I already cleared it with her and your proxy,” he replied.

“Melinda? You know her?” I asked surprised. He nodded. “Can I see her?”

“Not now, but soon.” I decided not to push my luck. We drove in a pleasant silence for a while. The sun was slowly going down and I was glad for the glasses because my eyes were straining to adjust to the natural light.

“So, any cute girls at school?” He asked, trying to have a casual conversation and I realized I had never told anyone my preference for the same sex. Was now the time? I decided that it was better than lying.

“I’m not actually all that interested in girls,” I confessed timidly.

“Naturally, with everything that’s happened and moving to a new school,” he said, misunderstanding me.

“No, I mean, I prefer…well, guys.” He looked surprised and fumbled for words.

“Oh…I see.” The silence that followed was awkward. After digesting the information, he added, “Any cute guys then?” I felt utterly embarrassed.

“I’d rather not talk about that,” I stammered out.

“Naturally,” he agreed.

He opened the back window and Neo stuck out his face for some fresh air. Shortly after we pulled up to a stunning modern house.

“Wow,” I exclaimed. “This is awesome.” He smiled.

“Come on in.” I followed him up the floating marble walkway and through the big glass doors.

“You must take a lot of Block D,” I noted, looking at all the large windows. He chuckled.

“That, and I’m barely ever here,” he replied.

The interior was just as pleasant as the outside. A true architectural masterpiece with glass elevators, white marble everywhere, and a koi pond. Neo seemed just as amazed as me and began dipping his large paw into the pond and then retracting it upon the slightest touch.

“Let me make him some food before he eats one of the fish,” Graham suggested, and I settled into one of the comfortable kitchen island chairs while he pulled ingredients out of his fridge.

“You have a lot of human food,” I commented.

“I have a lot of human friends,” he explained. “I like to cook for them. It’s a little hobby of mine.”

He pulled out a slab of raw meat and some vegetables and started cooking. Soon after, Neo had abandoned the fish game, and sat at the entrance to the kitchen drooling.

“You’re going to be his best friend from now on,” I laughed as Graham fed him the cooked meat and vegetables, which Neo devoured in less than a minute.

“Now, since we’re in the kitchen, let me feed you as well,” he said.

“I already had my blood juice,” I replied.

“Forget the blood juice. This is Vinicius’ rare blood wine. Not many of them left anymore, but I think this is the right occasion to pop one open.” He brought out the black bottle and served me some inside a glass that looked almost as big as a fishbowl.

I took a small sip and couldn’t deny that it tasted a hundred times better than a blood juice. It tasted like…hot fresh blood of the most delicious kind.

“What is it made of?” I asked, slightly worried.

“Ethically sourced human blood.”

“Ethically sourced?’

“The humans were actual volunteers and friends of Vinicius. They wanted to give him blood to experiment on as a birthday gift. He took it, played around with it at his lab, and made it into the best blood wine.”

The idea was strange, but I couldn’t deny that the red drink was far better than anything I’d ever drank before. Once again, a new piece of information that I didn’t know about Vinicius.

“How long did you know him?”

“Vinicius? A long, long time,” he replied, and his eyes seemed to glaze over and get lost in the memories.

“And yet you decided to represent Vincent in court, why?” I asked, wondering if Graham could shed some light on Vinicius’ true feelings regarding the Carandini clan.

But if anything, he confused me even more.

“Dani, let me be very honest with you. I take no pleasure in representing anyone from the Carandini family.” I was shocked.

“Then why did you help Vincent?” He waited before answering.

“It’s what Vinicius would have wanted me to do. Vincent is an underage vampire, whatever he’s doing, it’s not deserving of the punishment Deadnus was hoping to spring on him.”

“What if he’s…what if he really is planning something against the State?” I asked, trying to keep my tone casual. He turned to look at me.

“Then he’s even more foolish than his grandfather,” he replied.

“You knew King Romero?” I asked. Graham winced as if the name brought unpleasant memories.

“Oh yes.”

“What was he like?” I asked. When I dreamt of Vinicius talking to Vincent he seemed to give the King some credit. He didn’t completely demonize him like many others had. Plus, the dream with Dahlia. In it, Romero seemed somewhat caring…and gentle.

“He was arrogant, selfish, and worst of all cruel.”

“So… no redeeming qualities?” I asked, trying to be lighthearted.

“None,” he replied seriously.

“But Vinicius wouldn’t agree with that, would he?”

“Vinicius had too much faith in people. Some are irredeemable, Dani. It’s okay to not give out unlimited chances in a foolish hope for people to change one day. You can see some individuals exactly for who they are.”

“Not always,” I replied quietly, thinking of Demetrius. I was wrong about him. I had my preconceived notions, but he defied all of them by helping me…by saving me. Expect now he was back to being mean and calling me clingy. The word still stung.

Graham looked at me but didn’t comment any further.

“Can I ask you another question?” I said.

“Of course,” he replied.

“I know Vinicius created me to help the State…to keep harmony between the vampire and human world, and shield humanity if ever anything were to go wrong. But, did he ever, question the government or where it was currently heading?” I asked.

“You’re questioning your allegiance to the State?” Graham asked point blank. He was my attorney, and I felt comfortable enough to tell him the truth.

“I can’t see myself working under Deadnus,” I replied. He nodded. “What will the legal repercussions look like if I refuse to join the Protection League once I turn 18?” I asked. He took in a deep breath.

“Well, there’s no precedent, so it’s hard to tell. Most likely Deadnus would charge you with desertion, I suppose. Which is punishable by death, as most vampire crimes against the State are.”

“I see,” I replied. My predicament was bleak.

“Of course, we would fight that judgement. I’d get you the best legal team. We would argue that you are your own person, and that you never signed up for any of this. There’s a possibility that a judge would grant you freedom and sever you ties as a government worker. An emancipation of sorts.” So there was hope, I thought suddenly, but he continued. “Unfortunately, you are a Special. Your gift…it would be far too inconvenient for the State to just let you go live your life. So, speaking as your lawyer, it’s a very slim chance…but, technically possible.” There was hope but I’d have to face death to try. Great, I thought.

“Sorry to keep pestering you with questions, I just haven’t had the chance to speak with anyone who could be honest with me,” I said.

“You can talk to me about anything Dani,” he replied.

“Even about rebirth?” I asked, treading the waters.

“What did you say?” He looked at me positively alarmed.

“Rebirth,” I replied, confused by the horror on his face.

“Where did you hear about that?” I told him I saw the word written in the phrase behind Van Sant’s body and left out the part where I dreamt about it prior to that.

“I see,” he replied in a worried tone. “Dani, of course you can talk to ME about anything, but don’t be this naive in the future. Merely mentioning this idea out loud in front of the wrong person could get you in huge trouble. Prison, even.”

“Why is everyone so frightened of it? It’s just a stupid idea,” I complained.

“Just an idea? Ideas have toppled over empires, Dani. A dangerous idea let loose can cause a lot of chaos.”

“But, I don’t understand all the secrecy about it…”

“Dani, stop. Do not mention rebirth ever again. Don’t even think of it. Forget anything you know about it. And certainly, do not share any of your thoughts on the subject with anyone else,” he said firmly, then added, “Until we figure out what’s really going on, here’s your new motto: Trust no one.”

Copyright © 2021 C. Henderson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 12
  • Wow 2
This story is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, organizations, places, events and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Dani’s naïveté is starting to crack. Being the most powerful/important Special, he should heed the advice of “Trust no one.” His very nature at present means that he can be easily manipulated. 

The dynamic between Dani and Demetrius is interesting. I sense jealousy regarding Dani’s relationship/friendship with Vincent. 
 

It will be interesting to see if Dani abandons the dog or gives him to Demetrius as he has no control over him. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, J.El said:

Dani’s naïveté is starting to crack. Being the most powerful/important Special, he should heed the advice of “Trust no one.” His very nature at present means that he can be easily manipulated. 

Yes, I agree. He's way too trusting. 

5 minutes ago, J.El said:

The dynamic between Dani and Demetrius is interesting. I sense jealousy regarding Dani’s relationship/friendship with Vincent. 

Something is definitely going on...but what 🤔

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

We saw the sensitive, young boy Demetrius was when Vicinius taught him to use his power. The same boy is still in there behind the emotionless shield he has constructed to protect himself. It's far from perfect, even his protection causes him pain. However much he wants to emulate a machine, he isn't one and it bleeds out in his insomnia.

With Neo obeying Demetrius' commands, it's suddenly clear Demetrius has now saved Dani twice. Even so, he is determined to keep Dani at a distance, but his harsh words have to cut him as deeply as they do Dani.

Edward may have been one of Vicinius' closest friends, but he wasn't privy to all his thoughts and secrets. He didn't know his thoughts on rebirth and is terrified by it. His legal opinion on emancipating Dani from the State is honest and bleak. Dani is caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place. He also needs powerful allies while trusting no one. It's all a minefield.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Quote

We saw the sensitive, young boy Demetrius was when Vicinius taught him to use his power. The same boy is still in there behind the emotionless shield he has constructed to protect himself. It's far from perfect, even his protection causes him pain. However much he wants to emulate a machine, he isn't one and it bleeds out in his insomnia.

Indeed. Poor Demetrius 🥺  

Quote

With Neo obeying Demetrius' commands, it's suddenly clear Demetrius has now saved Dani twice. Even so, he is determined to keep Dani at a distance, but his harsh words have to cut him as deeply as they do Dani.

Absolutely, he is keeping him at a distance and Dani doesn't understand why.

Quote

Edward may have been one of Vicinius' closest friends, but he wasn't privy to all his thoughts and secrets. He didn't know his thoughts on rebirth and is terrified by it. His legal opinion on emancipating Dani from the State is honest and bleak. Dani is caught between the proverbial rock and a hard place. He also needs powerful allies while trusting no one. It's all a minefield.

One big minefield 😬

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
20 minutes ago, Philippe said:

I’m loving it; more, more, more  🔪 🍴  😋

What's the knife for!? 😂 😅

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
47 minutes ago, C. Henderson said:

What's the knife for!? 😂 😅

For carving the fat lies(liars) and dissecting the morsels of hidden truths! It promises rave reviews for this tasty Brunswick stew recipe of supernatural suspense, and romance, you’re tossing in the stock of sacrum broth.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
1 hour ago, Philippe said:

For carving the fat lies(liars) and dissecting the morsels of hidden truths! It promises rave reviews for this tasty Brunswick stew recipe of supernatural suspense, and romance, you’re tossing in the stock of sacrum broth

Don't forget the bay leaves. I hate when that happens.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Philippe said:

For carving the fat lies(liars) and dissecting the morsels of hidden truths! It promises rave reviews for this tasty Brunswick stew recipe of supernatural suspense, and romance, you’re tossing in the stock of sacrum broth.

Poetically stated 🖤

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..