Jump to content
    C. Henderson
  • Author
  • 4,512 Words
  • 1,506 Views
  • 25 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sacrum - 19. Chapter 19: The Specials Summit, Part II

THE SPECIALS SUMMIT

Part II

Have you ever wondered how long it takes to die? Let me tell you, it takes an age. In fact, you really have no idea how long it feels until after you find out that you are about to die. And then it feels like forever, and quick, all at the same time. I think that’s what we call duality…Vinicius once told me something about that word. I strained my brain to remember what he meant, as the three fearsome creatures bulldozed their way in a mad attempt to get to me.

What happened after the black trap door opened might have taken ten seconds, but it felt like a lifetime. All I saw was a quick flash of white fangs and spit, followed by ravenous howling barks. Whatever they were, they must have been starving.

Upon closer inspection, and because I had been greatly intrigued by dogs as a child and had spent many hours with my head buried in books about all the different dog breeds, I recognized the breed almost instantaneously.

Arani Deadnus had released three rabid Cane Corsos out of the gate. Not regular ones though, these were at least double or triple their size. Grizzly and muscular, with a pitch-black coat, their eyes shining bright red. Whatever they did to them, they were no longer normal dogs.

Loyal, smart, and known as the ‘bodyguard dog’, that’s what the book had described them as. They originated from Italy. Back in the days, people used them for hunting. It seemed like a sin to turn such beautiful dogs into weapons.

Suddenly I felt like the Biblical Daniel, stuck in the lion’s den. But there was no angel coming down to my rescue and stopping these creatures from attacking me. I didn’t even have enough time to think about using my gift before the first one was spitting right in my face—blood lust written all over his frightening snapping jaw.

Still, as a vampire I figured I possessed much more strength than even a scientifically enhanced dog. I grabbed him by the neck and tried to toss him aside, as the other two pounced towards me. He had incredible strength and for a moment I was sure he was going to snap my head clean off. But then he yelped in sudden pain, giving me a momentary advantage. Had I unknowingly hurt him? I wasn’t even trying to use my gift, not having enough time to concentrate.

I rushed to my feet and out of the way in order to avoid the other two dogs. I took a quick glance at the judge’s table. Would someone step in and stop this if I asked for help? But I remembered the brutality of the previous tasks. This wasn’t a regular test. I was sure that Arani Deadnus would have no issue carrying me out of the panic room in a black body bag.

“You can do it, Dani!” I heard Antoine’s voice. Could I, or was I going to be torn to shreds in a matter of seconds? The two black creatures were headed straight at me, while the third one was still momentarily down.

The second dog barreled toward me at the speed of light. It was happening too fast, physical combat was all I had left. When he finally made contact and crashed into me, it sounded like thunder. I held his fearsome jaw inches away from my face as the third one caught up and locked its sharp teeth on my right calf, making me cry out in pain.

I shook my leg helplessly, trying to get him off while at the same time trying to keep the one on top of me from taking a chunk out of my face. But he remained permanently latched, slowly tearing my flesh further apart. Then suddenly, the grip of his jaw loosened, and his eyes rolled upward. Foaming at the mouth, he went into convulsions. Was it the venom in my veins? His body turned rigid shorty after.

His friends’ death didn’t seem to faze the other dog, still fighting to take a bite out of me. His sharp teeth inching closer and closer to my nose.

I had to focus if I was going to survive this. Using as much of my strength as I could gather I turned us both to the side.

A sense of despair washed over me. I didn’t want to do it. I didn’t have it in me to kill an animal. But he just kept going and going, and I knew nobody was going to stop it. With a cry of frustration and hopelessness I took one hand off his neck and quickly tightened my arm around it, his shiny black coat madly struggling underneath my grip, and then I quickly twisted to the right with brutal force.

He was finally still. I was the one left shaking.

I unlocked my hold on his body, and we both slipped to the ground like deadweight.

In the midst of the silence, I suddenly heard a clap of hands, and then more joining in.

“Bravo, Dani,” I heard Trusting exclaim, and then I saw her friendly face standing above me. “You did it,” she whispered, holding out her arm for me to grab. And I did, I grabbed on for dear life.

Covered in dirt and dog spit, I made my way to my feet. My bitten leg was already fast on its way to full regeneration—the perks of being a vampire.

“Judges, let’s go around the table and reveal your scores. I will start. Pass,” Trusting said with satisfaction.

“Pass,” Nathaniel Gold concurred, smiling at me once again.

The wise vampire known as Arcadius Nomad regarded me for a moment, then exclaimed, “Pass!”

Andrei Chirilov waivered monetarily, but then said, “Pass”.

“Pass, absolutely,” Aleksandra Lesieu said, clapping her hands once again.

Attorney General Dominic Grant stared at me for a moment. “It wasn’t the cleanest presentation, but I’ll give you a pass,” he admitted. Secretary of Defense Lee Choi nodded.

“Pass as well,” he called out.

It was all down to Deadnus. Not that I cared anymore. All I wanted to do was get out of there and take a shower. Wash away the grime, the spit, and the dirty feeling of ever having been a part of this revolting spectacle.

She looked at me with fury in her eyes. What did I do to make this woman dislike me so much, I wondered. Suddenly, there was commotion by the elevator. Three vampires with black Protection League uniforms entered the room and made their way to Deadnus. One of then whispered something in her ear, and we watched as her face grew even more enraged, which I wasn’t sure was possible at the moment. She looked positively murderous. “Are you sure?” I could read her lips as she asked him. He quickly nodded. Whatever he told her, it was definitely bad news. She got up straight away.

“I apologize, but I have urgent matters to attend to,” she announced.

“Uh, Arani, please give us your score,” Trusting urged. Deadnus glanced at me with contempt.

“Pass. Barely, but pass,” she said, and just like that, she was gone.

I looked at the two dead dogs on the ground, and the one still whimpering a few feet away and I felt sick by what I had done.

“What are they going to do to him?” I asked Trusting, looking at the only surviving dog. She seemed surprised by my question.

“They’ll take him to the medical wing and we’ll bring in a vet. Don’t worry, he’ll be fine,” she assured me.

“Can I come visit him?” I asked.

“Of course you can, silly,” she replied.

Suddenly there was a hand on my shoulder. I turned to see Arcadius Nomad. “You did good son,” he said. Then, making sure he was out of Maratoni’s earshot he leaned down and whispered, “Vinicius would have been proud.”

I looked down, feeling sure to my core that the opposite was true.

“Thank you,” I replied, though his compliment didn’t mean much. Before coming to the Summit, I had no hope of ever passing. I wouldn’t have imagined in my wildest dreams that I’d even stand a chance. Here I was, having successfully completed my two tasks, yet I felt anything but accomplished. I let four people get tortured on my watch. Four innocent human beings—volunteer or not. I murdered two dogs and hurt another one. I did not live up to Vinicius’ expectation. I had turned into someone he wouldn’t have recognized.

I glanced over at the bench where Maratoni was having a heated conversation with Demetrius about something. Was he upset that I passed, or was he upset about whatever it was that Deadnus had just learned? I remembered his conversation with Vincent, and I wondered if Deadnus’ premature departure had anything to do with it. Then, without so much as exchanging a comforting word with me, Maratoni left the room as well.

“Congratulations, Dani, at least one of us passed,” Antoine came over, shaking my hand. If I could, I would have traded my pass, I wanted to tell him. He could have it. I didn’t want it anymore.

I received a few more congratulations from the other judges, and suddenly Chief Gold and his perfectly styled hair were in front of me.

“Spectacular show, Dani!” He raved.

“Thank you,” I mumbled back. I didn’t have the strength to talk to him. I just wanted to get back to my room.

“I’m curious as to why you chose the methods that you did. I was sure you’d go for fancy tricks, but you surprised me by taking the more physical approach. What was your logic behind that?” He inquired. He was trying to figure something out, but what? I thought about my answer carefully.

“Vinicius taught me that it was wrong to hurt animals. So if I was going to have to fight these dogs, I decided it would be with my own hands,” I said.

“Vinicius, of course,” he said. “He was one of a kind, wasn’t he? So wise…almost like he had the answer to everything,” he mused.

“No, as powerful and intelligent as he was, he also knew his shortcomings and his limitations and wasn’t ever afraid to admit them,” I replied. My skin prickled with an unpleasant sensation. I wanted to get away from Gold, but I didn’t know why. He didn’t stare at me with outright hatred like Deadnus. He was pleasant. So why did I have such a visceral reaction to him?

“Right, you’re very protective over him, as you should be,” he said. “As the new head of the Specials program, I look forward to us working together in the future, Dani,” he said, holding out his hand. As I shook it, it seemed like an unpleasant wave of electricity struck both of us, and we swiftly pulled away. He chuckled nervously.

“Let’s go,” Demetrius said in my ear out of nowhere. I followed him into the elevator.

“Where did Maratoni go?” I asked.

“I don’t know,” he replied. It was the first obvious lie I ever caught him in.

“You do know,” I said. We were the only two in the elevator. He looked at me.

“You’re right. I do know, but I can’t tell you,” he replied.

“Why not?” I inquired.

“They don’t want you to know yet,” he said.

“Who’s they?”

“Don’t make me spell things out for you. Use your brain,” he said in a harsh tone. I winced.

“Vincent and Maratoni,” I said. He nodded.

I thought of the three people Demetrius had tortured laying there on that dirt. “Why did you do that?” I asked.

“Why did I do what?” He said, not following my train of thought.

“Why did you torture three innocent human beings?” He looked ahead, we were almost on ground level.

“Did you expect me to take on the whole panel and get arrested?” He huffed in a resentful tone.

“No, I expected you to decline the task and take the fail. But you just had to show off, didn’t you?”

“Show off? It’s a test. I decided to do what I was told and pass, just like you did,” he replied, reminding me about what I had done out there on that dirt. I continued, undeterred.

“Please Demetrius, you’re the big guy around here. You don’t do anything anyone else tells you. Suddenly you’re performing on demand at the Summit? You had no problem letting Maurizia take a fail so that she could help heal those you’ve wounded!” He finally turned to look at me, his eyes sparking with justified anger.

“Maurizia made that choice herself. And anyway, that’s exactly what you expected from me, wasn’t it? So stop acting so surprised.” I had no answer to that. “We’re no longer at the Valentini Academy where it’s sunshine and roses. This is the real world, Dani, and it’s not about to get any nicer anytime soon, so you better get used to it,” he barked out at me in his accent just as the elevator door opened, then walked past me. I silently followed him to his room, trying to gather my thoughts, but he proceeded to slam the door in my face for good measure. It wasn’t how I envisioned our last night together to go. I had developed a liking towards the stoic vampire and felt grateful to him for what he taught me in such a short amount of time. I didn’t want us to end up on bed terms. But I couldn’t just ignore the fact that he tortured human beings in front of me.

The word ‘duality’ popped into my head yet again. What had Vinicius taught me about that, I tried so hard to recover the memories. “It’s called duality, Dani. The quality of having two opposite parts.” What was he talking in reference to?

“I guess our goodbye party has been unofficially cancelled. Plus, it looks like we’re the only ones in the mood to party anyway,” I heard Luciana’s voice from behind me. “Congrats, Special. We are now considered the best of the best,” she said, sounding anything but excited, then shook the blood juice in her hand like it was champagne and drank it. I thought about the power she exhibited down there, and the complete lack of care she showed as she burned the vampire on the cross to his demise.

“Where’s your Mentor?” I asked.

“He had to leave right away. And the rest of us are off tomorrow morning. You’ll be back to your lonesome self for another couple of months, I suppose,” she said. I nodded.

“I’m going to check on Maurizia,” I told her. She made no move to join me.

Rebecca De Rossi hovered over her tiny Special inside of the medical wing.

“Is she going to be alright?” I asked, startling her.

“Oh, hi Dani. Yes, she’ll be fine. That was a lot for her. The gift takes much of her strength. Using it this many times in such a short period of time…it just exhausted her. She needs rest,” she said. Suddenly, she noticed my wild appearance. “What happened to you?” The answer to the question would have left me passed out on a white hospital gurney just like Maurizia, so instead I opted for, “It’s a long story.” Her eyes shone with empathy.

“Oh Dani, it wasn’t right. None of it was right,” she whispered. But then Maurizia’s hand trembled, and all her focus turned back to her Special.

On my way out I stumbled on a smaller room where a young vet was tending to the magnificent Cane Corso I had injured not too long ago.

“Will he be okay?” I asked, popping my head in. The dog was laying down, but his ears perked up upon seeing me. I worried he might attack once again, but he seemed docile. His eyes were no longer red. Whatever they pumped the dogs up with, it seemed like it had wore off.

“He’ll be just fine. He’s as strong as a horse. Just needs some recovery time,” he replied in good humor.

“And the other two?” I asked.

“Oh, they’re gone. I’m sorry,” he said.

“What’s going to happen to him?”

“Uh, I’m not sure. I think they’re Protection League dogs. He’ll probably be shipped back to their headquarters tomorrow.” He must have noticed my reaction because he added, “You can come see him tomorrow before he leaves, if you want.”

Strangely, I did. Even though he was ready to snap my head off just an hour prior, I suddenly felt like I was responsible for him. Maybe it was a trauma bond, I thought.

“Thank you,” I said, and slowly made my way back to my room. I couldn’t face anyone else. I could barely face myself.

I took a long shower, washing the grime and dust off my body. The bite on my leg was now completely gone. I wondered what happened to the humans. Where did they go? More importantly, how could I conceive ever working for someone like Arani Deadnus? I was supposed to help protect humanity, not harm it. In just a few months she was going to become my boss. But it was becoming very clear to me that she was corrupted. Vincent told me there would be another option, and while I technically trusted him, I did not trust Sebastiano Maratoni. If he was part of that option, then I couldn’t possibly join in. And where was Demetrius in all of it? I wanted to go next door and ask him. He’d been honest about everything up until now. I could trust his word. Which way was he going to go? Obviously Vincent and Maratoni thought they had him in their pocket. But officially, he was about to become a State worker, just like me. Would he choose his Mentor, or Deadnus?

My head hurt from all the possibilities as the dirty water circled the shower drain. I stepped out and put my shorts on. Then I collapsed on my bed, my head throbbing with pain. As soon as I closed my eyes, I found myself in Melinda Moretti’s expensive living room.

“You’re getting better at this,” she mused, taking a sip of her tea. There were biscuits on her table.

“I am?”

“Yes, it’s easier to find you now.”

“What exactly are we doing?”

“We’re dream walking,” she replied.

“Oh?” I uttered, unable to comprehend what was happening. “And how exactly does that work?” I asked, as politely as I could muster. The whole thing seemed crazy.

“It’s not an exact science, my dear,” she replied. “But it is a good way for us to communicate.”

“How do I know how to dream walk?” I asked.

“It’s a gift you have.”

“Another gift? How many gifts can one vampire have?” She chuckled.

“This one isn’t the same. It’s just something you were born with. We don’t know where it comes from,” she replied.

“But…” I started, confused, but she shook her head gently.

“We have more pressing things to discuss now, Dani. I know you want to come and find me. That’s not safe at this time. This is the only safe way for us to talk.”

“But are we really talking, or am I just dreaming this?”

“Both. Like I said, it’s not an exact science. Many times, you will dream of things that already were and things that will be in the future. At times, your dreams won’t be real, but they will serve to guide you if you can interpret them correctly.”

“How do I know what’s real and what’s not,” I asked.

“That will be for you to figure out. Here’s your first chance,” she said, and suddenly I was transported to a grim and dark place with a blanket of snow on the ground.

Then I saw him. My one and only Mentor.

“Vinicius!” I called out, my voice breaking halfway through. But he didn’t hear me.

He was focused on something else. Or rather, on someone else.

There was a small brown-haired boy across from him. Suddenly the dream didn’t feel like a dream—it was a very vivid memory. Different than all my other dreams.

My mentor knelt on one knee to reach the boy’s eye level. He passed a child-size basketball to the boy. “A small gift from America,” he said in a friendly tone. The wary brown eyes looked at him with hesitation, but the small vampire finally grabbed the ball from my Mentor’s hands, holding it close to his chest like a protective blanket. Vinicius continued, “My Russian is not the greatest, despite many failed years of learning, but it is my understanding the locals around here call you, “Tot, kto prinosit bol'?”

The small boy nodded; his head hung in sudden shame.

“Ah, what a formidable nickname. The one who brings pain,” Vinicius said, searching the boy’s face with his eyes for a reaction to the nickname. There was no judgement in his voice.

The boy spoke in his own defense. “I don’t have control over it, Professor. It ends up hurting people around me when I get mad,” he confessed. Vinicius nodded his head.

“Your gift is extremely powerful, and thus it’s imperative that you master it to absolute perfection, Demetrius. Placed within the wrong person, it could cause unbelievable pain to anyone in the vicinity,” he said.

“I don’t know how, it just keeps happening,” the boy admitted with a shrug. He seemed terrified of the dark power he possessed. Vinicius got closer, as if he was about to tell him a secret.

“You’re thinking about it, instead of feeling it,” he told the young Demetrius. “It comes from right here,” he said, placing his hand over the boys’ abdomen. “And then it floats all the way up to your sternum. Only then it can be released. Try it,” he said as if he was telling him to try a new brand of blood juice, and not asking for the boy to cause him an immense amount of pain. Demetrius looked perplexed.

“I don’t want to hurt you,” he replied, shaking his head. Vinicius smiled with ease.

“Oh, I’ve felt much worse than this my boy. Go ahead,” he said, pleasantly, as if they were having the most normal conversation in the world.

“Are you sure?” Demetrius inquired, still looking uncertain.

“Positive,” my Mentor replied.

Demetrius silently focused for a moment. Then, not too long after, Vinicius winced in pain. The boy stopped right away.

“No, no,” Vinicius said. “I have to make sure you know how to control it. Continue, until I tell you to stop.”

“But Professor,” Demetrius protested.

“Do it, my boy.”

Demetrius looked hesitant, but after a while, he focused once again. Not long after came a shattering scream of pain. It was Vinicius. It went on for a few seconds, until he raised his hand in a silent protest, and Demetrius immediately stopped.

He ran up to my Mentor.

“Are you okay?” He grabbed Vinicius by the arm, making sure he was steady. The old vampire nodded, but it took him a while to speak.

“I’m fine. I’m relieved to know that you’ve got everything under control,” he said, patting the boy on the back.

Suddenly I was transformed into yet another dream, right in the middle of a heated exchange between Vinicius and Maratoni.

“I’ve gotten permission to train my Special as I see fit, Vinicius. The approval comes all the way up from the State, and you can’t do anything about it. You’ve lost that battle,” Maratoni snarled, yet I could sense he was still intimidated by my blue-eyed Mentor. Vinicius regarded him for a moment, as one would regard a child in a supermarket having a tantrum.

“Indeed. But, my dear Sebastiano, let us not forget I am still the one in charge of the Specials program, and thus I would like to be informed on Demetrius’ progress through monthly reports. I also urge you to relocate back to America.”

“Why, so you can watch my every move?” Maratoni snapped back. It was comforting to learn that he’d always been an ass, it wasn’t just me he despised.

“I don’t particularly have the desire, nor the time, to do that Sebastiano. But having Demetrius in this barren setting, torturing farmers and factory workers who are looking to earn extra money for their starving families isn’t going to breed the type of Special you’re hoping for. It will backfire. He’s not a machine, the gift you’ve chosen for him takes a great toll on his soul.”

“His soul? What do you know about it? He’s here so I can toughen him up. Unlike you, I don’t plan on keeping my Special sheltered like a delicate flower forever. Demetrius is going to be powerful and have a mind of steel.”

“The mind can only take so much before it breaks,” Vinicius retorted, and there was a pleading tone to his words. He was advocating for the boy. “You’ll permanently maim him if you’re not careful.”

Maratoni looked unmoved, once again, I was transported into yet another scenario. Vinicius was back with Demetrius, except the brown-haired vampire was older now. His eyes seemed to carry the pain of the world as he spoke.

“I don’t want to hurt them,” the now-older vampire admitted.

“Of course not. Very few individuals get enjoyment out of seeing others hurt,” Vinicius replied.

“But if I don’t, Professor Maratoni gets mad,” Demetrius confessed.

“Ah, yes. You find yourself in what we call an impossible predicament,” Vinicius sympathized. “I cannot stop Professor Maratoni from using his own personal training techniques with you. The State has made their decision on that clear,” he admitted with sadness. Demetrius looked heartbroken. “But, let me give you a small piece of advice,” Vinicius continued, leaning down to whisper. “Whenever you have to use your gift on somebody, count to seven. From my small research, I’ve found that almost anyone can withstand a high amount of pain for up to seven seconds without long term side effects,” the wise vampire advised, giving the boy just a small glimmer of hope.

I woke up with a start and jumped out of bed right away.

“The one who brings pain,” the Russian locals had called him.

“The one who brings pain has a heart that’s pure,” the prophecy had stated.

It referred to Demetrius, not Vincent. The favor he owed was a thanks to Vinicius who had helped him control his terrifying gift and ensure it wouldn’t cause others permanent damage.

I raced over and opened the door to his room, my chest aching to hold the scared little boy in my dream. But true to his word about not liking goodbyes, it was empty, and he was already gone.

Copyright © 2021 C. Henderson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 10
  • Love 11
  • Sad 3
This story is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, organizations, places, events and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

  • Site Moderator

At least Dani wasn't forced to hurt or kill people, either human or vampire. Dealing with the dogs was more than enough emotional trauma.

So Dani's dreams can be real guides, but subject to interpretation. Considering some he's had, it doesn't feel very comforting.

Demetrius is far from the person we thought he was. He has empathy and his stoicism must be his crutch to shield how he truly feels about using his power.

Vincent has certainly done something spectacular to cause Deadnus to go into rage mode. Gold is even more untrustworthy than Deadnus. He hides behind a friendly smile. Glad to see Dani senses it.

I'm wondering if Dani might ask to keep the dog for himself.

 

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment

So cruel making Dani have to kill the Dogs, hopefully he gets to befriend the remaining one.  Demetrius’ story is sad that he had a good Mentor then a miserable one, just like Dani.

  • Like 1
  • Love 4
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

So Dani's dreams can be real guides, but subject to interpretation. Considering some he's had, it doesn't feel very comforting.

 

No it doesn't you're right 😬

Quote

Demetrius is far from the person we thought he was. He has empathy and his stoicism must be his crutch to shield how he truly feels about using his power.

Demetrius did a 180 on all of us, including Dani.

11 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Vincent has certainly done something spectacular to cause Deadnus to go into rage mode. Gold is even more untrustworthy than Deadnus. He hides behind a friendly smile. Glad to see Dani senses it.

Excellent point!

13 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

I'm wondering if Dani might ask to keep the dog for himself.

 

You might be onto something...we shall seeee

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment

Interesting reveals here. So, more proof that Vinicius failed Dani. Dani blames himself for what he didn't do, and though I find blame without learning to be largely pointless, Dani is right that in the end he didn't live up to Vinicius. But, like I said before? I still think that's Vinicius' fault as he had plenty of time to learn how Dani ticked and realize that he probably needed to take a more forceful hand with Dani.

Because if this chapter solidified anything about Dani? At least currently? It's that he's a follower, through and through. While he isn't a puppet, at least not yet, he doesn't take action, he invokes action in or reacts to action from others. Note that in ALL the thinking he did about whether to follow Vincent or work for Deadnus? It didn't OCCUR to him at ALL that HE could make his own choices. That he was trapping himself in a false dichotomy between two extreme options, when really, numerous other options already exist. It would be one thing if his own agency had occurred to him and he dismissed it as unrealistic? But the thought didn't even occur to him at all, and he spent enough time musing on it that if it was going to, it should have.

And note that, one thing that was consistent about Vinicius' training technique? Both with Dani and with Demetrius? Is that he was trying to get them to make the choices and figure things out on their own. And while that worked with Demetrius, because Demetrius does take his own agency? And did so even while he was "innocent." Dani doesn't.

And before anyone says anything: there's nothing WRONG with being a follower. Giving your agency to others is not a weakness. But it is a personality trait that greatly affects how you interact with others and how you see yourself, and Vinicius failed to realize that, actually? The best thing for him TO do with Dani? Was to stop getting Socratic and to firmly explain to Dani how he thinks things should be. He could still instill a sense of open mindedness and a sense of thought and all the other things he wanted to put in him. But he should have done so more directly, because that's what Dani responds to.

You can see it in the story all over the place. What does he react badly to? All the misdirection and deception. And though Vinicius wasn't intending to deceive? The Socratic method is, from a behavioral point of view, a form of misdirection. The thing that is different is the goal, but the psychological manipulations are nearly identical. However, whenever something is told to Dani directly, whether it's good for him or not? He takes it at face value.

Look at how he reacted to Maritoni? He just accepted the abuse from him. He didn't really question it until he had the realization that Maritoni did not actually WANT to teach him at all. That he was being deceived. But had he never had that realization? I think it's very plausible that he'd have just accepted that Maritoni had his best interest at heart, and that all the abuse was character building or something.

Similarly, he reacted very well to Demetrius? Because for all that Demetrius was blunt and uncouth and even mean? He's always direct. Even when he won't tell Dani, he just states it, rather than beating around the bush. The only times he leaves things up in the air is either when he feels he can't say something, or when he feels like it's so obvious that Dani should be able to figure it out. And then he prods and prods until Dani does so, rather than leaving it up in the air for Dani to muse on like Vinicius did. The specials he immediately trusted? Were also similarly transparent about their goals (or at least apparently so, unfortunately Dani is extremely gullible).

And I should point out that he TRUSTS them even when he doesn't LIKE them. Like Luciana, for example, he's never liked her. But he has shown little if any distrust of her.

So I actually understand why Vinicius failed now. Vinicius was a bad match for Dani, and for whatever reason he never realized that certain critical things weren't getting through to the boy. He should have changed his tactics or found a different mentor, and in doing neither, he stunted Dani's growth, both as a special and as a person.

Edited by Nightlit
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, C. Henderson said:

Demetrius did a 180 on all of us, including Dani.

I actually saw this coming from the get go. Which isn't a complaint! It's what I wanted to happen.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
10 minutes ago, Nightlit said:

Because if this chapter solidified anything about Dani? At least currently? It's that he's a follower, through and through. While he isn't a puppet, at least not yet, he doesn't take action, he invokes action in or reacts to action from others. Note that in ALL the thinking he did about whether to follow Vincent or work for Deadnus? It didn't OCCUR to him at ALL that HE could make his own choices. That he was trapping himself in a false dichotomy between two extreme options, when really, numerous other options already exist. It would be one thing if his own agency had occurred to him and he dismissed it as unrealistic? But the thought didn't even occur to him at all, and he spent enough time musing on it that if it was going to, it should have.

 

You bring up a lot of interesting points here! I do think that he's not in a place where he'd think that would be a feasible option. He's stumbling in the dark right now. The idea that he can choose something other than what's been outlined for him is far-fetched at the moment.

 

11 minutes ago, Nightlit said:

And note that, one thing that was consistent about Vinicius' training technique? Both with Dani and with Demetrius? Is that he was trying to get them to make the choices and figure things out on their own. And while that worked with Demetrius, because Demetrius does take his own agency? And did so even while he was "innocent" Dani doesn't.

 

Very good point. Demetrius has a completely different personality and is able to take his own agency with ease.

 

12 minutes ago, Nightlit said:

Similarly, he reacted very well to Demetrius? Because for all that Demetrius was blunt and uncouth and even mean? He's always direct. Even when he won't tell Dani, he just states it, rather than beating around the bush. The only times he leaves things up in the air is either when he feels he can't say something, or when he feels like it's so obvious that Dani should be able to figure it out. And then he prods and prods until Dani does so, rather than leaving it up in the air for Dani to muse on like Vinicius did. The specials he immediately trusted? Were also similarly transparent about their goals (or at least apparently so, unfortunately Dani is extremely gullible).

 

Yes, Dani does respond particularly well to the way Demetrius communicates, even if he's coming off harsh at times. He doesn't play any mind games.

15 minutes ago, Nightlit said:

And I should point out that he TRUSTS them even when he doesn't LIKE them. Like Luciana, for example, he's never liked her. But he has shown little if any distrust of her.

 

I am curious, why do you believe that he trusts Luciana?

15 minutes ago, Nightlit said:

So I actually understand why Vinicius failed now. Vinicius was a bad match for Dani, and for whatever reason he never realized that certain critical things weren't getting through to the boy. He should have changed his tactics or found a different mentor, and in doing neither, he stunted Dani's growth, both as a special and as a person.

You know this is where we disagree my friend 😁  but I still always appreciate your genuine takes and your interest in the story 🙏🏼

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
14 minutes ago, Nightlit said:

I actually saw this coming from the get go. Which isn't a complaint! It's what I wanted to happen.

You totally did, I recall you picking up on it right away 👏🏼

  • Like 1
Link to comment
8 minutes ago, C. Henderson said:

I am curious, why do you believe that he trusts Luciana?

Perhaps I'm guilty of false dichotomy myself here. It's not so much that Dani trusts her? As he has shown little evidence of active distrust of her, and though he doesn't like her (partially out of jealousy for Demetrius) he still takes what she says at face value, indicating that from a practical point of view, he wouldn't question what she told him simply on the grounds that she told it to him.

In short, though one could argue that he's not on the "trust" side of the "trust distrust" spectrum? He is at least neutral enough that she could easily lie to him and he'd take her at her word. Mind you, if she told him something that he had any evidence was untrue? He wouldn't take her word OVER the evidence, so his trust of her has limits, but Vincent for example? He actually questions almost everything Vincent tells him. Distrust is a double edged sword after all. Once you distrust them, even the truth sounds like a lie.

Really, it's mostly that Dani is an inherently trusting person. His "default" state is to take people at their word until and unless he has reason not to. And since trust is a question of behavior not analytics? No matter how much he might question her motives when he's scrutinizing her? If he takes her at her word in general, he ultimately is showing trusting rather than distrusting behavior.

Edited by Nightlit
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Nightlit said:

Perhaps I'm guilty of false dichotomy myself here. It's not so much that Dani trusts her? As he has shown little evidence of active distrust of her, and though he doesn't like her (partially out of jealousy for Demetrius) he still takes what she says at face value, indicating that from a practical point of view, he wouldn't question what she told him simply on the grounds that she told it to him.

In short, though one could argue that he's not on the "trust" side of the "trust distrust" spectrum? He is at least neutral enough that she could easily lie to him and he'd take her at her word. Mind you, if she told him something that he had any evidence was untrue? He wouldn't take her word OVER the evidence, so his trust of her has limits, but Vincent for example? He actually questions almost everything Vincent tells him. Distrust is a double edged sword after all. Once you distrust them, even the truth sounds like a lie.

Really, it's mostly that Dani is an inherently trusting person. His "default" state is to take people at their word until and unless he has reason not to. And since trust is a question of behavior not analytics? No matter how much he might question her motives when he's scrutinizing her? If he takes her at her word in general, he ultimately is showing trusting rather than distrusting behavior.

That's a good point! And you're right, his natural inclination is to trust and believe the best of others even when there isn't much proof to support that. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, C. Henderson said:

That's a good point! And you're right, his natural inclination is to trust and believe the best of others even when there isn't much proof to support that. 

And I'd argue that in an underground world of VAMPIRES? That fact ALONE is Vinicius failing him. 😛

Demetrius may be harsh? But he's right in the sense that unflinching trust? Especially from someone as potentially powerful as Dani? Is as dangerous as leaving the big red nuke launch button unprotected and unattended.

I'm not suggesting that Vinicius should have turned Dani paranoid? But a bit more general scrutiny wouldn't hurt. Especially of himself.

Edited by Nightlit
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, Nightlit said:

Demetrius may be harsh? But he's right in the sense that unflinching trust? Especially from someone as potentially powerful as Dani? Is as dangerous as leaving the big red nuke launch button unprotected and unattended.

That's a solid observation. 

6 minutes ago, Nightlit said:

And I'd argue that in an underground world of VAMPIRES? That fact ALONE is Vinicius failing him. 😛

Ha! Perhaps Vinicius had more faith in his fellow blood-sucking brothers 😂

8 minutes ago, Nightlit said:

I'm not suggesting that Vinicius should have turned Dani paranoid? But a bit more general scrutiny wouldn't hurt. Especially of himself.

 Good point indeed. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment

The prophecy is falling into place. It may foreshadow that the one whom betrays losing their life and/or the one whom attempts to protect losing their life may be Specials. 

The gift of “prophecy” or “dream interpretation” appears to be one of several gifts that Vinicius bestowed to Dani. He must be careful not to share this gift too frequently with others as he is bound to have it used against him. 

I cannot wait to see what Deadnus and Maratoni/Vincent are plotting.
 

 

  • Love 1
Link to comment
3 minutes ago, J.El said:

The prophecy is falling into place. It may foreshadow that the one whom betrays losing their life and/or the one whom attempts to protect losing their life may be Specials. 

Yes 😬  We have additional options now for whom it might be referring to. 

4 minutes ago, J.El said:

The gift of “prophecy” or “dream interpretation” appears to be one of several gifts that Vinicius bestowed to Dani. He must be careful not to share this gift too frequently with others as he is bound to have it used against him. 

Maybe, maybe not. If you reread what Melinda Moretti said of dream walking, it appears she was at least hinting that the ability to dream walk was not a given gift, but rather something else... 

6 minutes ago, J.El said:

I cannot wait to see what Deadnus and Maratoni/Vincent are plotting.

Yes, all their secret schemes need to come to light! Lol.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
32 minutes ago, C. Henderson said:

Ha! Perhaps Vinicius had more faith in his fellow blood-sucking brothers 😂

A fact that got him quietly murdered. (Remember, my whole argument is that Vincius failed. Getting yourself murdered on account of overly trusting your peers? Seems like a pretty big failure to me. 😛 )

Edited by Nightlit
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
36 minutes ago, Nightlit said:

Remember, my whole argument is that Vincius failed. Getting yourself murdered on account of overly trusting your peers? Seems like a pretty big failure to me. 😛

You can't expect him to predict his own murder and call it a failure that he didn't...although if we go by his note to Van Sant, you might think that he knew it was coming 🤔  Hmmm

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Just now, C. Henderson said:

You can't expect him to predict his own murder and call it a failure that he didn't...although if we go by his note to Van Sant, you might think that he knew it was coming 🤔  Hmmm

The failure is less getting murdered, and more failing to prepare Dani for the possibility that he might die. After all, he wouldn't have to be murdered to get hit by a plane or struck by lightning. (I dunno how powerful your vampires are, but from what I've seen, both of those things would probably have the potential to kill one).

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment

Deadnus is a monster, and her panel of judges are no better; whether puppets or partners in this charade of legitimacy. No Special should have to question whether their high-school “training” may result in their expiration.

Poor Dani, unable to recognize the assistance he received in handling the dogs; as one yelped and went limp, and another had the eye roll of paralyzing pain ☠️. Demetrius would be the obvious suspect as pain was the apparent affect.

Likewise, the public association with Dani in the quick personal suggestion to exit together,…and NOW, would seem to imply a level of protective isolation; and perhaps avoiding possible answers to questions yet to be asked was protective for them both.

The informational Dreamscapes are invaluable for Dani to get context of lessons past as they relate to him and his future. Demetrius knows more than he is sharing, but like the unspoken assistance with the dog challenge, the unspoken seems to be viewed as necessary to protect the plan, the players, and…Dani? 

Unfortunately, Dani’s unguided curiosity and his needs for understanding has him exposed; hopefully the Dreamscapes will soon help identify the friends from foes. The tough part is that Dani will still have to interpret the meanings of these reveals.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
6 hours ago, Philippe said:

Poor Dani, unable to recognize the assistance he received in handling the dogs; as one yelped and went limp, and another had the eye roll of paralyzing pain ☠️. Demetrius would be the obvious suspect as pain was the apparent affect.

 

It takes Dani a lot of time to figure some things out  🤣

7 hours ago, Philippe said:

Likewise, the public association with Dani in the quick personal suggestion to exit together,…and NOW, would seem to imply a level of protective isolation; and perhaps avoiding possible answers to questions yet to be asked was protective for them both.

 

Good observation!

7 hours ago, Philippe said:

Unfortunately, Dani’s unguided curiosity and his needs for understanding has him exposed; hopefully the Dreamscapes will soon help identify the friends from foes. The tough part is that Dani will still have to interpret the meanings of these reveals.

Yep, he better start working on those interpreting skills! 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
15 hours ago, Nightlit said:

The failure is less getting murdered, and more failing to prepare Dani for the possibility that he might die. After all, he wouldn't have to be murdered to get hit by a plane or struck by lightning. (I dunno how powerful your vampires are, but from what I've seen, both of those things would probably have the potential to kill one).

And the chances of those events happening are so slim any insurance company would happily draft a policy in any amount. Judging by the fifteen minutes it took during the Summit, I'd say vampires are hard to kill. Remember when Van Sant was killed it came up if you wanted to be certain about killing a vampire, you combined two methods. I wouldn't think it would be something occupying much attention in an immortal's mind unless they were being hunted or under a sentence of death.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
36 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

And the chances of those events happening are so slim any insurance company would happily draft a policy in any amount. Judging by the fifteen minutes it took during the Summit, I'd say vampires are hard to kill. Remember when Van Sant was killed it came up if you wanted to be certain about killing a vampire, you combined two methods. I wouldn't think it would be something occupying much attention in an immortal's mind unless they were being hunted or under a sentence of death.

That's right. In chapter 15 Dani had outlined all the known methods to kill a vampire.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 hours ago, drpaladin said:

And the chances of those events happening are so slim any insurance company would happily draft a policy in any amount.

That's a very human way of looking at it. Sure, within the confines of a single human life span, 50-90 years? Those things are rare. But if you are living for hundreds, maybe thousands of years? Even getting stuck by lightning becomes far more common. And sure, we haven't had planes for a while, but people get hit by cars or buses all the time, and cars and buses are more than capable of striking with enough force to sever a head. Especially in a situation where the only way you'd die is by being killed? Unless you are completely unafraid of death (which most vampires in this story clearly aren't), you'd be at least peripherally aware of the things that could kill you.

4 hours ago, drpaladin said:

Judging by the fifteen minutes it took during the Summit, I'd say vampires are hard to kill. Remember when Van Sant was killed it came up if you wanted to be certain about killing a vampire, you combined two methods.

And as technology "advances" accidents are more and more capable of causing the catastrophic damage required to kill a vampire. Heck! House or wild fires commonly burn for DAYS unless they are manually put out, let lone the 15 minutes it took to kill a vampire, and they spread extremely fast and are actually MORE common now than they were at other points in history. Interestingly, modern society has almost certainly made it so that vampires die far MORE often on accident than they ever did before, simply because the opportunities for that to occur are far more prevalent in this world we've constructed.

4 hours ago, drpaladin said:

I wouldn't think it would be something occupying much attention in an immortal's mind unless they were being hunted or under a sentence of death.

Even if one isn't so worried about accidental death? They are living in a time of political upheaval where death for political reasons is not unheard of. Vampires literally killed an ENTIRE FAMILY LINE simply because of politics. Even the unborn children. It wasn't enough to just remove them from power, they had to be eradicated. And this event was extremely recent, by human, let along vampire, standards, so it should have been in everyone's recent memories.

Vinicius was a powerful vampire with an attitude that was obviously unpopular with groups of people that were not afraid to make that opinion known. And the way everyone is plotting right now has a normalcy to it that tells me that it's fairly common place, and likely has been for a long time. In short? Vinicius should have been aware of the potential of being targeted, because it's not a huge logical leap to make given the circumstances. To not at least consider the possibility that he might be a target and prepare Dani accordingly? Was arrogant, foolish, or both.

Edited by Nightlit
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment

@C. Henderson, I’m very much enjoying your story here, as written and presented. The storyline is mysterious, as desired, and bring options in plot, with plenty of intrigue. The personal views on character flaws and pronouncements with repeating condemnations is illogical, in my mind, and ARGUES for a manuscript that would be void of those very elements that bait us with that anticipation for what’s around the corner; or what is the larger plan.

Is Deadnus leading or a puppet that has not figured out that she is only a pawn? 😝 Is Vinicius really dead?; after all, nothing remains of a sun-baked vampire, so who can validate that? Or is he now free to choreograph a response with a better understanding of the bad actors as they now believe themselves free to act and those actions can be tracked more easily than their hostile plans in waiting.

I hope the abundant and verbose comments, are not keeping you from your writing; as a single contributor has 60% of your chapter word count in their comments alone, that’s quite a lot. We don’t need you too distracted, or changing course from your original storyline; focus your scribing and posting on your storyline, that we love and await…for our next Special scene!

Thanks again for this wonderful tale and for sharing it with us.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
42 minutes ago, Philippe said:

@C. Henderson, I’m very much enjoying your story here, as written and presented. The storyline is mysterious, as desired, and bring options in plot, with plenty of intrigue. The personal views on character flaws and pronouncements with repeating condemnations is illogical, in my mind, and ARGUES for a manuscript that would be void of those very elements that bait us with that anticipation for what’s around the corner; or what is the larger plan.

Is Deadnus leading or a puppet that has not figured out that she is only a pawn? 😝 Is Vinicius really dead?; after all, nothing remains of a sun-baked vampire, so who can validate that? Or is he now free to choreograph a response with a better understanding of the bad actors as they now believe themselves free to act and those actions can be tracked more easily than their hostile plans in waiting.

I hope the abundant and verbose comments, are not keeping you from your writing; as a single contributor has 60% of your chapter word count in their comments alone, that’s quite a lot. We don’t need you too distracted, or changing course from your original storyline; focus your scribing and posting on your storyline, that we love and await…for our next Special scene!

Thanks again for this wonderful tale and for sharing it with us.

Thank you, I appreciate your continued enthusiasm for the story! 😊  And no worries, the plot is not going to be changed in any way because of the comments--good or bad. We're all friends in this comment section as far as I'm concerned, and it's fun reading everyone's takes, even if they are critical. I'm happy you guys are invested enough to comment and dive deep into the story with your own theories, things you enjoy, and things that bother you. That's a huge compliment to me, so thank you.

Next chapter should be out soon, I just need to find the time to edit. 

  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
On 10/17/2021 at 2:36 PM, Nightlit said:

That's a very human way of looking at it. Sure, within the confines of a single human life span, 50-90 years? Those things are rare. But if you are living for hundreds, maybe thousands of years? Even getting stuck by lightning becomes far more common. And sure, we haven't had planes for a while, but people get hit by cars or buses all the time, and cars and buses are more than capable of striking with enough force to sever a head. Especially in a situation where the only way you'd die is by being killed? Unless you are completely unafraid of death (which most vampires in this story clearly aren't), you'd be at least peripherally aware of the things that could kill you.

And as technology "advances" accidents are more and more capable of causing the catastrophic damage required to kill a vampire. Heck! House or wild fires commonly burn for DAYS unless they are manually put out, let lone the 15 minutes it took to kill a vampire, and they spread extremely fast and are actually MORE common now than they were at other points in history. Interestingly, modern society has almost certainly made it so that vampires die far MORE often on accident than they ever did before, simply because the opportunities for that to occur are far more prevalent in this world we've constructed.

Even if one isn't so worried about accidental death? They are living in a time of political upheaval where death for political reasons is not unheard of. Vampires literally killed an ENTIRE FAMILY LINE simply because of politics. Even the unborn children. It wasn't enough to just remove them from power, they had to be eradicated. And this event was extremely recent, by human, let along vampire, standards, so it should have been in everyone's recent memories.

Vinicius was a powerful vampire with an attitude that was obviously unpopular with groups of people that were not afraid to make that opinion known. And the way everyone is plotting right now has a normalcy to it that tells me that it's fairly common place, and likely has been for a long time. In short? Vinicius should have been aware of the potential of being targeted, because it's not a huge logical leap to make given the circumstances. To not at least consider the possibility that he might be a target and prepare Dani accordingly? Was arrogant, foolish, or both.

No. The majority of your suppositions require events to occur in precise ways to achieve a result. So planes are out and a lightning strike won't kill a vampire (no beating heat to stop and it wouldn't destroy the body). You can't depend on a chaotic event to be precise. Even with a longer lifespans the possibility of an extremely unlikely event increases minimally.

Despite all the media hype, wildfires aren't worse overall. California with it's poor forest management is the exception. This year ranks seventh in a ten year period in terms of number of fires and acreage burned and the worst year wasn't last year, or the year before, or the next; you have to go back to 2015, six years ago. Presuming our vampire is in one of the few states where wildfires are a problem, they still wouldn't present a severe threat. Vampires can move faster than humans and can't be overcome by smoke. At the very worst and totally encircled by fire, a vampire could bury themselves and wait until it passes.

The severest threat remains a targeted attack rather than unexpected accidents.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 hours ago, drpaladin said:

No. The majority of your suppositions require events to occur in precise ways to achieve a result. So planes are out and a lightning strike won't kill a vampire (no beating heat to stop and it wouldn't destroy the body). You can't depend on a chaotic event to be precise. Even with a longer lifespans the possibility of an extremely unlikely event increases minimally.

While a vampire ON a plane THAT crashed would almost certainly survive? A vampire that a plane CRASHED INTO? Which is the example I gave? Would almost certainly still die. Vampire durability is described as enhanced healing or regeneration, meaning that if something was catastrophic enough to kill them instantly? They'd still die. A person who was crushed by a plane? Would be pretty much destroyed beyond recognition. And even if a vampire COULD come back from that normally? It would be an EXCEEDINGLY UNLIKELY set of circumstances for a human sized being to be hit by that large a plane and not have their head be crushed, and if their head was crushed? It would effectively be severed, which would kill them.

As for a lightning strike? That's a trickier thing. That said? Lightning usually doesn't even kill human victims, so that was probably a bad example to begin with. However, you are also overly focused on accidents. I never thought that accidents were exceedingly likely to kill a vampire (though some, like being smashed by a large enough object, wouldn't be particularly more uncommon for a vampire than for anyone else). It was more to point out that death is not always something you can predict or control. It can happen randomly as a result of events that are entirely out of anyone's control. And even if this is exceedingly uncommon? It only has to happen once to any given individual.

4 hours ago, drpaladin said:

Despite all the media hype, wildfires aren't worse overall. California with it's poor forest management is the exception. This year ranks seventh in a ten year period in terms of number of fires and acreage burned and the worst year wasn't last year, or the year before, or the next; you have to go back to 2015, six years ago. Presuming our vampire is in one of the few states where wildfires are a problem, they still wouldn't present a severe threat. Vampires can move faster than humans and can't be overcome by smoke. At the very worst and totally encircled by fire, a vampire could bury themselves and wait until it passes.

Once again? Thinking in human time frames. To a vampire? 2015 is pretty much as recent at 2021. 6 years is a drop in the bucket to a vampire (and frankly, even to humans, 6 years isn't that much from a weather trends point of view).

And yes, it's true that there are aspects of fire that a vampire would be less affected by (most notably smoke)? Fire is extremely destructive and moves EXCEEDINGLY fast. If fire was moving such that it surrounded you? You wouldn't have time to dig a hole. And obviously, for a Vampire to be killed by a wildfire, they'd have to be either in the actual fire, or close enough to it that it would overtake them that rapidly (not that digging a hole is that realistic an option to begin with, since you'd have to somehow fill the hole while in it, as fires of the magnitude I'm talking about make the AIR hot enough to melt skin, so even if there was enough time to dig a deep enough hole? Being in a hole as your only protection is a gamble at best).

The truth is? Though most accidents that could kill a vampires ARE exceedingly unlikely? Fire's unique combination of speed, unpredictability and resilience? Makes it probably the thing vampires should be most worried about. (Which is, admittedly, not atypical in vampire stories).

I should probably add the caveat that we actually don't really know how fast and strong vampires have the potential to be, so all of this has to be taken with a grain of salt. We haven't ever had a vampire's super speed described except relative to other vampires, so we have no context for how much faster they are than humans. And, similarly, the only time we've really seen their strength depicted, it was in Dani's fight against the dogs, but since we have no idea how strong THOSE were, we similarly have no context for their scale. Though there's no evidence that I can see that they are on the scale of say, the Flash or Superman, it's technically possible, in which case you'd be entirely correct.

4 hours ago, drpaladin said:

The severest threat remains a targeted attack rather than unexpected accidents.

I agree! As I said? While I do think that accidental death probably happens to vampires more often than you'd suspect? That's actually irrelevant to my point about Vinicius, since one of the major reasons WHY I think that he failed Dani is BECAUSE he was in a position where it should have been clear to him that people were trying to kill him. He was a powerful political figure in a chaotic aftermath of what was effectively a military coup that ended in the deaths of not just the royals in charge, but the ENTIRE royal line! One doesn't do that unless they think there are enough forces that might want to return them to power as to make them merely existing a threat.

And if them existing is that much of a threat? Then the powers that might try to reinstate said monarchy would just be a GENERAL threat to anyone who doesn't want to return to that system who has the political power to resist it. As one of those people, Vinicius should have at least had an inkling that he might be a target, and prepared Dani accordingly. Who knows why he didn't. Maybe he was shortsighted (though that seems out of character)? Maybe he was arrogant enough to think it would never succeed? We may never know.

Edited by Nightlit
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..