Jump to content
    C. Henderson
  • Author
  • 2,492 Words
  • 2,205 Views
  • 28 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sacrum - 30. Chapter 30: The Assassin’s Bullets

I felt myself floating in the darkness. A strange—yet weirdly satisfying—sensation. A completely weightless body moving at the pace of a cloud.

If this was death, I liked it. It was peaceful. Quiet. Nothing like real life with all its ceaseless noise and strife.

And then suddenly Vinicius was floating beside me, looking as calm and serene as I remembered him in real life.

“This is nice, isn’t it?” The sound of his voice nearly filled my eyes with tears. “I imagine that if we could actually remember what being in the womb feels like, it would be exactly like this,” he said, glancing over at me with the hint of a smile.

“Professor, am I dead?” I asked.

“No, dear boy. Your body is simply in a temporary state of shock.”

“Because of the silver bullets?”

“Yes. Pesky little things. They don’t quite agree with vampire chemistry. Thankfully, they’re not deadly. Good enough to incapacitate someone for a period of time though.”

“So I’m going to live?”

“Barring any other unfortunate circumstances, yes, I believe you are going to wake up in a little while,” he said in his gentle voice.

“Was it the same person who killed you?”

“I imagine you will soon find out, Dani.”

“It’s all so confusing. Nothing has been right since you left. I don’t know what choices to make. What do you want me to do?” I asked and immediately cringed at the obvious tone of desperation in my voice. He smiled wisely.

“Oh, I would never presume to tell you what to do, Dani.” His calm blue eyes twinkled with good humor.

“Is Vincent irredeemable?” I asked.

“Is anyone irredeemable?”

“I don’t know. Probably,” I replied, frustrated. “If they’ve caused enough damage and terror to the universe. How long can I allow someone like that to exist?”

He took a while to answer.

“The thing about playing God, Dani, is that it always comes back to bite you in the behind. Us Earth dwellers—whether human, vampire, or any other creature—don’t have the capacity or the knowledge to properly judge one another.”

“You’re not giving me any answers,” I groaned. He chuckled faintly.

“No, I’m not much help, am I? You’re right, Dani. I apologize for the ramblings of this old man. These days my brain is tired from holding on to centuries-worth of information,” he replied kindly. “Vincent is both good and evil, just like most of us. He is comfortable dwelling in the darkness because that is where he’s been brought up. But he has within him great potential. Just like his grandfather, he is a born leader. Yet the question remains, which side of him wins the battle in the end?”

“You still haven’t answered my question. What you just said…it sounds like I’ve heard it before.” He smiled.

“Of course it does. I am only repeating your thoughts to you, after all.”

“So this…this is just a dream?”

“Oh, it’s much more than ‘just’ a dream, dear boy, for there is much that lies within dreams. From our hopes, to our fears, to our most secret desires—before anything comes to be, it is first just a dream.”

“I wish you were still alive. I need your guidance.” He seemed touched by the statement.

“All the answers you seek are already within you, my boy,” he replied, then slowly faded away.

Suddenly my body wasn’t weightless anymore. It dropped like a lead balloon, causing me to scream out in fear that I would hit some unknown bottom and crash.

“It’s okay Dani, just hold on,” I heard a familiar voice in my ear—it was Vincent’s.

The Vinicius in my dream was right. This wasn’t death. I had passed out from the pain, but I was still very much alive–or as alive as one without a beating heart could be considered.

And I was slowly coming to my senses and feeling the painful fiery sensation spreading though my body once again.

I wanted to wake up, but the pain kept me in the dark. The school was under attack, and I had failed to protect it. I couldn’t even protect myself…

I felt someone lifting my now heavy body and taking me somewhere. And then my mind went back to sleep once again, as my body worked to regenerate itself.

When I did finally wake up, I found myself in a small dark bedroom, covered in dark blue sheets.

There was a familiar face staring at me from the chair next to the bed.

Perhaps familiar wasn’t the right word, as I’d never actually seen the vampire before in my life. But the strong jawline, black hair, and mischievous glint in the eyes—characteristics that were so prevalent in the Carandini blood line—let me know that it was a relative of Vincent I was looking at.

He half smiled when he noticed that I was awake.

“Burns good, doesn’t it?”

I looked down at my naked torso. All signs of the bullet wounds were gone. I touched my skin—which was back to its perfect porcelain color—and it felt smooth underneath my fingers. But there was indeed an uncomfortable stinging sensation under the spots where the bullets had penetrated. A strange phantom pain of sorts.

“It will go away in a few hours,” the familiar-looking stranger said. “They make the bullets pretty potent these days. Load them up with extra silver. Tough for the body to get rid of. But it does, eventually.”

“Where’s Vincent?” I asked, sitting up and feeling quite vulnerable in front of this stranger. I needed to figure out what happened. I needed to know who tried to kill me and why. Most importantly, I needed to find out if everyone else at Baritone made it out safe.

“He stepped away to attend to something, but he was here the whole time. It was kind of adorable, really. I haven’t seen that type of devotion in centuries,” he said in what I perceived to be a sarcastic tone.

His smile was almost blinding and revealed a row of perfect large white teeth that made me shudder inside. It’s as if I could feel the sheer strength and beastly power of his frightening jaw, and the damage his mouth could inflict on a human being.

He continued, “The grim-faced one came by as well.”

“Demetrius?” I asked, suddenly feeling more chipper.

“Right, that’s his name. Your little Special buddy. Let me tell you, that boy is not a whole lot of fun to be around. It’s all business with him. Can’t get him to smile to save my life.”

“Who are you?” I asked. He snickered while faking an offended facial expression.

“I’ll forgive your insolence on the account that you, my friend, have just survived one scary assassination attempt. That’s not something we go through every day, even as vampires. It can leave one feeling a bit…confused.”

I took in his appearance. He wore black pants and a loose black button up. His hair was wet, as if he just got out of the shower.

“You’re related to Vincent; I know that much,” I went on. His head gave a slight nod.

“Funny thing—genetics. They can reveal the truth without anyone having to speak tedious words,” he said in a mysterious tone, as his eyes curiously flickered over my face.

“Are you his cousin then? Giovanni?”

He laughed, but in a flash, the sound was gone.

“What do they teach in school nowadays? Did they wipe out Vampire History from the curriculum?”

“Never been much good at history,” I replied.

“Well that much is clear,” he said in a loud voice that sounded amused.

Then suddenly I remembered something from a previous dream. It all had to be connected somehow.

“Ciprian,” the name escaped my lips, and his mouth spread into a smile once more.

“See, you do know.”

“What happened?” I asked.

“What happened is you took three silver bullets from an assassin’s gun,” he replied.

“But…I survived?”

“Once again, sharpen up on that knowledge my little friend. Vampires do not die from a couple of bullets.”

“How did I get here?”

“Well, after that sneaky little coward shot you while you were in bed, you passed out. Thankfully your King, who is my handsome and badass nephew, fought the faceless creep off and dragged your lifeless body over here—in spite of the great risk that type of heroic act would put him at—so that you could heal in peace,” he revealed.

“Is everyone else okay?”

“At the school, you mean?” I nodded. “Yes, seems as if our masked friend was only interested in you. Though, sadly, he did finish off one of your bodyguards with a wooden stake.”

“Declan,” I whispered, horrified. Someone died trying to protect me.

While I was still digesting the information, Ciprian continued, “Listen, I’m here so that I can ask you one very simple, yet very important question. Because see, we’re done playing little games here, and though my nephew is exceedingly patient, I am much less so. Especially after spending 18 years in a coffin. Now, I need to know, my little blonde friend, are you with us?”

There it was—the question I had been successfully avoiding up until then. I thought I had made up my mind, but before someone attempted to kill me, I had that dream with Vinicius and Arcadius Nomad. The things I heard them say… did I really want to help bring about that type of government again? The type of government they conspired to take down for good? Could I commit to joining Vincent on his mad quest to reinstate the royalty?

It wasn’t something I could answer then and there. I had to speak with Graham first. I needed counsel.

“Where are we?”

The stranger frowned for a moment.

“We’re at the current Carandini headquarters. Which, hopefully, will soon be upgraded to something a bit less lower-middle class, and a bit more vampire-fucking-royalty worthy,” he replied, looking around at the room with obvious contempt. “Now back to my question. Are you with us?”

“I don’t know,” I answered truthfully, looking around to see if my clothes were nearby.

“You don’t know?”

“I don’t know,” I restated.

“See, I do not like the sound of that,” he said, smiling once again.

He was one of the only vampires I knew who looked more terrifying with a smile than with a serious face. “That type of uncertainty is going to cause a lot of problems for us.”

“How so?” I asked, but he ignored my question and replied with his own.

“What is it exactly that’s stopping you from committing? You and I both know you do not want to be stuck working for Arani Deadnus. See, that type of sad shit would make me abandon eternal life really quick,” he said, snapping his fingers.

“So what, you’re the lesser of two evils?”

“Ouch! The insults you throw at me, blondie,” he said, cocking his head to the side in playful amusement. “Lesser? The word ‘lesser’ does not apply to anyone in the Carandini line, get that in your pretty head. Whatever we do, we’re the best at it. If we decide to be evil, we’re the best evil there is,” he stated passionately.

“Like I said, I haven’t made up my mind yet. I’ll need for Vincent to tell me exactly what you’re all planning.”

“The balls on you kid…really impressive to demand that kind of information from your King,” he said, his teeth gleaming brightly. “Still, I will forgive your lack of manners, once again, because I know that you grew up completely in the dark and don’t quite understand the dynamics at play here.”

“You don’t know me or how I grew up,” I said, defensively.

“Please, spare me. I spent 18 years in slumber, I did not come back to the world of the living to endure your boring tales. Now…tell me how he died,” he said, changing the subject so fast I felt myself getting whiplash.

“How who died?”

“Vinicius. How did he die?” He asked, his face serious.

I was enraged by the question, but something made me reply.

“They said he took his own life,” I answered.

“I know what they said, kid. How did he really die?”

“I don’t know,” I replied, “but I will find out. Just like I’ll find out who tried to kill me.”

“That’s going to be a little difficult without our help, don’t you think? It’s not exactly like you have the connections or resources to launch an investigation on your own.”

“I already told you, I haven’t made up my mind yet,” I replied firmly. He glanced at me curiously.

“Stubbornness—genetic trait, I’m told.” I didn’t quite understand his meaning. He went on, “I want you to know, I am sorry about Vinicius.”

“Why, you two weren’t exactly friends, were you?” Was he seriously using the memory of my dead Mentor to try and get me on their side?

“You don’t have to be friends with someone to respect them, Goldilocks. His loss is a loss for the entire community. It’s like someone burning down libraries with ancient knowledge—that’s some irreplaceable shit. You don’t cut down a valuable resource like that.”

He sounded sincere.

“Then why don’t you help me figure out who did it? It could be a sign of good faith,” I suggested, and right away he laughed.

“See, that’s not on my to-do list, kid. Let’s get something straight, I’m not here to prove myself to you as worthy. You will join us. There is no other choice for you. And if you do—for some unknown and very foolish reason—decide to side with Arani, then you will most certainly die. You coming with us is the only viable option, capiche?”

“You sound very sure for someone who spent 18 years hiding from her.”

“Oh, now you’re trying to rile me up. Hiding? I prefer the word ‘waiting’. Or maybe ‘relaxing,’” he said, and the tone of his voice changed to one dripping with derision. “Arani isn’t worth the dirt on my shoes. She is less frightening than the spider in my cupboard. Do not insult me by suggesting that I should be afraid of her.”

“She is responsible for killing most of your family, is she not?”

He frowned. “Ah, you give her too much credit,” he said, more wistfully now, as his eyes continued to hold mine. “She may have assisted the men who drove the wooden stake through my brother’s heart, but at the end of the day kid, we are the architects of our own misfortune.” Then he swiftly got up and began walking toward the door.

Right before he walked out, he turned back to look at me and said, “I’m going to need your answer soon.”

Copyright © 2021 C. Henderson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 14
  • Love 10
  • Wow 3
  • Angry 1
This story is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, organizations, places, events and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments



Great observations! 

Quote

Okay, this guy definitely feels like someone who wants to rule from behind the scenes.

Yes, good old uncle Ciprian seems to have his own plans 😬

Quote

I have no doubt in my mind that Dani will end up on Vincent's side, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Carandini family split into pro-Vincent and pro-Ciprian factions because Vincent is being too 'soft' or something like that.

Seems like a very probable possibility. 

Quote

I think Dani's problem right now is a lack of confidence. He obviously trusted Vinicius a lot, but at the same time he failed to learn to trust his own judgment and decisions. It's like he found his answer but won't commit to it until someone else confirms it for him. It's kind of hard to watch him be so confident and yet so lost at the same time.

I agree, his lack of confidence is difficult to witness given the potential he has within him. It's time he learns how to make his own decisions and stick to them.

Quote

I'm hoping he can get out of that house soon and speak with Graham, and hopefully get more answers. I'm also hoping Ciprian doesn't find out Dani's been asking about Dahlia, that could cause problems later.

Yes indeed! Can't say more 😁

Edited by C. Henderson
  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
3 hours ago, Shadow086 said:

I think Dani's problem right now is a lack of confidence. He obviously trusted Vinicius a lot, but at the same time he failed to learn to trust his own judgment and decisions. It's like he found his answer but won't commit to it until someone else confirms it for him. It's kind of hard to watch him be so confident and yet so lost at the same time.

 

Despite being an uber-vampire, Dani is still a teenager mourning the loss of his combined mentor and father figure. He's been treated exactly like the tool the government views him as rather than as a person. He was whisked away from everything he knew and never given the proper period or opportunity to mourn.

His choice is much simpler than his brain is telling him.

Edited by drpaladin
  • Like 4
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Aaron728 said:

The relationship between Dani and Vincent has not developed enough for us to know where Dani actually stands in Vincent's eyes.  Does Dani come before or after Ciprian on Vincent's list of priorities? It seems like the whole driving force behind Vincent is revenge and reclamation. 

I concur. I am not sure what to make of the relationship between Dani and Vincent at this point. On one level, it appears as if Vincent really likes Dani, but the motivation is unclear (admiration vs fear). On a different level, Dani appears to be merely a tool for his use.

At this point, Dani’s role may be serve as a check on the State and Carandini clan.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Curious about why Dani thinks he needs Graham’s counsel. Glad that he recovered ok, and to know that Vincent brought him to a safe place to heal, with Demetrius watching out for him too.

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Once again, Ciprian crosses Vincent with his interference, in blatant defiance of Vincent’s decree that only he would deal with Dani.

Very suspicious that Ciprian impatiently demanded Dani’s allegiance in defiance of “his King” at that post-awakening meeting; where he was then warned off of Dani. Now this non-lethal yet focused, a strategic disabling, brings Dani to the crypt of this deviously defiant uncle.

Ironic that he should hint at Dahlia’s?, Vinicius’?, stubbornness when he repeatedly defies Vincent and appears to have most assuredly defied his brother. I stick to my previous thoughts that Ciprian is responsible for the former King’s reputation against the humans; With mounting evidence I would not deny my suspicions that he killed Dahlia and set up the Royal massacre.

Likewise, Vinicius knew more than framed in this portrait of murders. As Dani was created the statement from Vinicius of “this is for her” probably supports Dani being Vincent’s half brother…well perhaps less than half with the genetic splicing…he’s possibly his father and/or cousin too; 10% here, 20% there, 15 over here… 😝. Perhaps the mixed feelings of love between Demetrius and Vincent…hmmm, do they need Demetrius to get a DNA test too? OMG 😱 what are Dani’s choices without possible incest? Hahahaha An ironic twist could also be Vinicius making Dani sired by Ciprian but cleansed by the splicing. Ahem…focus…

I feel Arani Deadnus has been betrayed by Ciprian before, used in his great game of Chess; and she wiped out the Royal Family with Ciprians aid. Already in hiding when Deadnus found enlightenment, Ciprian finds himself awakened with designer Specials to contend with and the head of that program magically evaporated….or was he. As he asked Dani, how did he die, who told you. Naturally a lying, murdering, deviant would not trust the word of others!

Many twists with alliances too historical and numerous to sort without more discovery, but the enemy of my enemy comes to mind here; that and “these are not the Droids you’re looking for.” 😝 

@C. Henderson, I hope you have more time to keep us from having to feed on live humans to survive! Thank you for this wonderful tale!

 

Happy New Year…10,9,8,…

Edited by Philippe
  • Like 4
Link to comment
4 hours ago, Aaron728 said:

The choices as presented:

The state - A pawn whose life is dictated by corrupt leadership devoid of an morals. 
The Monarchy - A pawn ruled by the one he loves. 
 
From what we've seen Ciprian is no better than Arani. The both regard dani as child who is simply beneath them. Neither of them care for him or his well being, and it seems as either of them would off him if he were to become an inconvenience. 
 

The relationship between Dani and Vincent has not developed enough for us to know where Dani actually stands in Vincent's eyes.  Does Dani come before or after Ciprian on Vincent's list of priorities? It seems like the whole driving force behind Vincent is revenge and reclamation. 

Arani, Ciprian, Vincent are all power hungry. Dani is power. In either of the choices we have, Dani ends up being used a tool of war. If he doesn't make a choice he ends up a casualty of war. 

..... is there a third choice?

Ahh a great summery of his choices as they stand right now. Is there another way? We shall see...

  • Like 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, J.El said:

I concur. I am not sure what to make of the relationship between Dani and Vincent at this point. On one level, it appears as if Vincent really likes Dani, but the motivation is unclear (admiration vs fear). On a different level, Dani appears to be merely a tool for his use.

At this point, Dani’s role may be serve as a check on the State and Carandini clan.

It is still unclear, you're correct. We know he likes Dani, but we will have to wait to see what he truly prioritizes. Dani, power, or revenge? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, VBlew said:

Curious about why Dani thinks he needs Graham’s counsel. Glad that he recovered ok, and to know that Vincent brought him to a safe place to heal, with Demetrius watching out for him too.

I believe he considers Graham to be the next best thing to Vinicius at the moment. A stable male role model for him to look up to.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Philippe said:

Once again, Ciprian crosses Vincent with his interference, in blatant defiance of Vincent’s decree that only he would deal with Dani.

Very suspicious that Ciprian impatiently demanded Dani’s allegiance in defiance of “his King” at that post-awakening meeting; where he was then warned off of Dani. Now this non-lethal yet focused, a strategic disabling, brings Dani to the crypt of this deviously defiant uncle.

Ironic that he should hint at Dahlia’s?, Vinicius’?, stubbornness when he repeated defines Vincent and appears to have most assuredly defied his bother. I stick to my previous thoughts that Ciprian is responsible for the former King’s reputation against the humans; With mounting evidence I would not deny my suspicions that he killed Dahlia and set up the Royal massacre.

Likewise, Vinicius knew more than framed in this portrait of murders. As Dani was created the statement from Vinicius of “this is for her” probably supports Dani being Vincent’s half brother…well perhaps less than half with the genetic splicing…he’s possibly his father and/or cousin too; 10% here, 20% there, 15 over here… 😝. Perhaps the mixed feelings of love between Demetrius and Vincent…hmmm, do they need Demetrius to get a DNA test too? OMG 😱 what are Dani’s choices without possible incest? Hahahaha An ironic twist could also be Vinicius making Dani sired by Ciprian but cleansed by the splicing. Ahem…focus…

I feel Arani Deadnus has been betrayed by Ciprian before, used in his great game of Chess; and she wiped out the Royal Family with Ciprians aid. Already in hiding when Deadnus found enlightenment, Ciprian finds himself awakened with designer Specials to contend with and the head of that program magically evaporated….or was he. As he asked Dani, how did he die, who told you. Naturally a lying, murdering, deviant would not trust the word of others!

Many twists with alliances too historical and numerous to sort without more discovery, but the enemy of my enemy comes to mind here; that and “these are not the Droids you’re looking for.” 😝 

@C. Henderson, I hope you have more time to keep us from having to feed on live humans to survive! Thank you for this wonderful tale!

 

Happy New Year…10,9,8,…

Happy New Year my friend. I have very much enjoyed reading your comment. :) You have a beautiful way of putting things! Ciprian is a big question mark at the moment. We have to find out more about him, that's for certain.

Quote

what are Dani’s choices without possible incest? 

LMAO 

Quote

I feel Arani Deadnus has been betrayed by Ciprian before,

Deadnus and Cirprian definitely have history. She's in for one big surprise...

Quote

Naturally a lying, murdering, deviant would not trust the word of others!

Naturally! Let's hope Dani knows how to deal with a lying, murdering, deviant 😬

  • Love 3
Link to comment

I think that Dani has something that the Carandini's want but neither Dani nor the Carandinis know what that is.

 

Is this story already written or are you writing and posting as you go? In any case, I would really appreciate more frequent or at least larger postings. I love the story but, damn...

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Nahrung said:

I think that Dani has something that the Carandini's want but neither Dani nor the Carandinis know what that is.

 

Is this story already written or are you writing and posting as you go? In any case, I would really appreciate more frequent or at least larger postings. I love the story but, damn...

I'll take that into consideration my friend! The story is already written, but each chapter needs quite a bit of editing. I also started a new job and then got sick shortly after, so I've been a bit preoccupied. But I understand your frustration.

  • Like 2
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
46 minutes ago, C. Henderson said:

I'll take that into consideration my friend! The story is already written, but each chapter needs quite a bit of editing. I also started a new job and then got sick shortly after, so I've been a bit preoccupied. But I understand your frustration.

Take care, stay healthy…maybe some of Dani’s blood to prevent those pesky bugs?? Seriously though, I hope you’re better and can enjoy some trouble free time. Best wishes!

  • Like 4
Link to comment

Ciprian is definitely a very evil and complex person.  He went from pleasant to threatening revealing much about his character.  I very much liked that this character was brought to life in this chapter.  Better yet, the comments and speculations made about the information in the chapter were very delightful to read. I do love a good mystery story. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
9 hours ago, C. Henderson said:

I'll take that into consideration my friend! The story is already written, but each chapter needs quite a bit of editing. I also started a new job and then got sick shortly after, so I've been a bit preoccupied. But I understand your frustration.

Get well! Wherever possible, good health is ideal. Sounds like additional chapters beyond 20 may be possible? 🙏

  • Like 3
Link to comment
11 hours ago, Philippe said:

Take care, stay healthy…maybe some of Dani’s blood to prevent those pesky bugs?? Seriously though, I hope you’re better and can enjoy some trouble free time. Best wishes!

hahah yes some vampire immunity would be good! Thank you for the well wishes.

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
9 hours ago, raven1 said:

Ciprian is definitely a very evil and complex person.  He went from pleasant to threatening revealing much about his character.  I very much liked that this character was brought to life in this chapter.  Better yet, the comments and speculations made about the information in the chapter were very delightful to read. I do love a good mystery story. 

Glad you enjoyed delving into Ciprian's character this chapter. You're right, he is a complex being and Dani will have a lot to figure out when it comes to him.

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
2 hours ago, J.El said:

Get well! Wherever possible, good health is ideal. Sounds like additional chapters beyond 20 may be possible? 🙏

Thank you, you're right good health is ideal. Can't take it for granted!

Additional chapters? Hmm, if there will still be interest in the story after the ending I have planned then I would consider it. It's been very enjoyable to write. I only wish I had more time! 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Fingers Crossed 1
Link to comment

I'm pretty sure there will be more than two sides for Dani to choose instead of just the government and the monarchy. I think Dani's decision will ultimately be affected by the truth about who killed Vinicius, because just as Vincent is driven by desire to avenge his family's deaths, Dani wants to avenge his mentor's death.

Good to have you and the story back! Happy new year! 😃

  • Like 3
Link to comment
24 minutes ago, ObicanDecko said:

I'm pretty sure there will be more than two sides for Dani to choose instead of just the government and the monarchy. I think Dani's decision will ultimately be affected by the truth about who killed Vinicius, because just as Vincent is driven by desire to avenge his family's deaths, Dani wants to avenge his mentor's death.

Good to have you and the story back! Happy new year! 😃

Thank you, Happy New Year!

You're right, I think the revelation of who killed Vinicius will have an impact on Dani's decision.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
23 hours ago, Aaron728 said:

The choices as presented:

The state - A pawn whose life is dictated by corrupt leadership devoid of an morals. 
The Monarchy - A pawn ruled by the one he loves. 
 
From what we've seen Ciprian is no better than Arani. The both regard dani as child who is simply beneath them. Neither of them care for him or his well being, and it seems as either of them would off him if he were to become an inconvenience. 
 

The relationship between Dani and Vincent has not developed enough for us to know where Dani actually stands in Vincent's eyes.  Does Dani come before or after Ciprian on Vincent's list of priorities? It seems like the whole driving force behind Vincent is revenge and reclamation. 

Arani, Ciprian, Vincent are all power hungry. Dani is power. In either of the choices we have, Dani ends up being used a tool of war. If he doesn't make a choice he ends up a casualty of war. 

..... is there a third choice?

 

19 hours ago, C. Henderson said:

Ahh a great summery of his choices as they stand right now. Is there another way? We shall see...

Hmmm 🤔, true that Dani is power, a designer weapon indeed; HOWEVER, every weapon has a trigger. Each of the obvious options assumes Dani will bark at the will of the owner; performing tricks at their will, triggering as obedience training allows.

The problem with this smart weapon is that it is total sentient, with a conscience programmed by the creator, instilling logical application for ethics in morals, restraint in power (even his ability allows transformation of powers with inclinations of it being more of an defensive or policing ability), and the ability to take independent action based on independent logic against those wielding power against that best logic. 

The third option? This is the unknown as Dani is still processing the many inputs, with too much tainted data provided, not as requested, but more like fed propaganda and persuaded by the influencers, that are likely to block the collection of any data not supporting their cause.

So the simplicity of option 1, 2, 3, etc, still compiles into a programmed response that may govern or moderate any of the above; or demand his own set of requirements to earn his support. He can be security and justice, …if protected from those overwhelmingly corrupting forces.

Of course, the most powerful force in this sacrum universe is @C. Henderson, beyond Dani’s transformation powers, he can create, destroy, transform, or reform all powers, knowledge, and recognition within the realm.

  • Like 4
  • Love 1
Link to comment

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..