Jump to content
    C. Henderson
  • Author
  • 2,642 Words
  • 1,713 Views
  • 17 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

Sacrum - 25. Chapter 25: Ciprian’s Awakening

Deep amidst the windy howls of the Moldovan wilderness and darkness emerged a shadowy figure. There was an ominous chill that carried the scent of wet pine in the air, and a mass of dark clouds on the horizon. The wind whisked dry leaves up in the air every few seconds, making it difficult to see ahead. The vampire walked quickly and with purpose, determined to get somewhere fast. There was another behind him, a skinny figure trailing in the back, watching his steps with care.

“I think this is it,” the younger one spoke, staring off at a large estate in the far-off distance.

“It’s dangerous for you to be here,” the older one replied, finally catching up. “You should have listened to me and stayed home.” The young vampire glared at him for a brief and terrifying moment, his eyes, illuminated by the moonlight, flashed red in anger at the chastising comment. The other vampire quickly changed his tune as if realizing he was no longer talking to a child but a grown adult—someone important. “Forgive me, Salvatore. It’s just that the League seems to be everywhere these days. I wouldn’t want anything to happen to you when we’re this close,” his voice trailed off.

“Don’t worry, as far as the Protection League is concerned, I’m safely tucked away at home, visiting my poor and lonely mother for the weekend,” he said automatically. The older one gave him a sympathetic smile.

“Yes, but they keep watch. They stalk your every move; you must know that.” The younger vampire’s brow furrowed, he looked tired of arguing.

“They don’t know about the tunnels. And this was too important for me to miss,” he replied with a finality in his voice, and began moving towards the property, knowing the other wouldn’t dare to question him further.

A distance that would have taken a human an hour or more to reach took them less than a few minutes. There was a fluttering of curtains in the windows, and suddenly a light came on. A rather timid looking vampire opened the door wearing a black suit.

“Alexei, my friend,” the older vampire greeted the homeowner. There was a female vampire and two children peering out from behind him.

“Lawrence Ekhart, it is great to see you again,” the timid vampire replied, shaking hands with him.

“Alexei, let me introduce you to Prince Salvatore Carandini,” Ekhart said, turning to the younger vampire. Alexei’s expression changed drastically, as if he wasn’t prepared for such a special visitor. His smile fell and he leaned into a deep bow.

“Your Highness, it is an absolute honor to host you at our place,” he said with his strong Moldovan accent, and the rest of the family behind him made a low bow as well. The young vampire acknowledged them with a solemn nod.

“Thank you for lending your home to one of my kin. Your kindness will not be forgotten by me,” he replied politely.

“Can I show you around, your highness?” The host inquired.

“That won’t be necessary. Forgive me, but I am in a hurry.”

“Of course, I understand,” Alexei replied sounding almost relieved. “Please come in,” he said stepping back and holding the door open.

“Are the humans here?” Salvatore asked walking through the large doors and into the opulent home.

“Yes,” Alexei nodded.

“Are they ready?”

“They are.”

“And they understand what’s going to happen, correct?”

“They both consider it a great privilege, your highness.”

“Very good.”

The three vampires walked down a long hallway until they reached an elevator at which point they asked Alexei to wait. The elevator took them underground and when it opened, they entered a rather spacious but empty room. Empty, except for the two female humans who giggled in excitement upon seeing them. A lovely blonde and a vibrant brunette.

“Hello ladies,” Salvatore greeted them, and they giggled even harder.

He didn’t bother with any more pleasantries and walked toward the center of the room, the older vampire following behind him. The floor was white marble, but he seemed to detect something in the middle and stopped.

He beckoned the blonde toward him with a flick of his hand. She quickly obliged, shooting her companion a delighted look.

“Your wrist, please,” Salvatore said, in a honey smooth tone, and she held out her hand and shivered as the handsome vampire wrapped his long pale fingers around it. With his free hand he pulled out a blade from his pocket and with a quick swipe he sliced her petite wrist then turned it face down so that her blood dripped over the white marble. Ekhart turned his head and pinched his nose, as if the sight and smell of human blood was too enticing of a temptation to resist.

When the scarlet blood deposit seeped through the small line that ran down the middle, there was a whir and suddenly the marble was parting in half, revealing a grandiose crystal encrusted tomb.

“Who dares to awaken me?” The low voice came from underground, yet somehow it echoed all throughout the room, simmering with rage. Ekhart, who was standing next to Salvatore, shuddered in fear.

The young vampire stood unmoved and unafraid.

The tomb slowly rose out of the ground in its opulent glory. When it came to a halt, Salvatore leaned down and opened it, revealing a skinny, dried-up corpse. It still had skin covering its bones and well as some hair on its grotesque shriveled-up head.

Salvatore held the blonde’s wrist over the corpse’s mouth and her blood trickled down gently, in a slow stream. He spoke.

“The time has come for you to rise from the dead, Ciprian.”

“He dares speak my name!” The voice howled in pure rage, even though the corpse was perfectly still, and his mouth hadn’t opened.

“I need more blood,” Salvatore said, looking at the other woman. She came forward and he repeated the same wrist slicing ritual on her, directing her blood onto the corpse.

The sight in the tomb was abhorrent. The dried-up face was now soaking in the blood of both women…as if slowly marinating. “What torments are you seeking? Traitors, usurpers, filthy animals. Away with you all!” The voice howled.

“Careful, it’s your King you’re speaking to,” the younger vampire warned, but there was a light smirk playing on his lips, as if he found the situation amusing.

“King? How dare you besmirch the royal Carandini name with your filthy tongue. When I rise, I will cut it out of your mouth and feed it to the wolves in the woods! Better yet, I’ll make a human sandwich out of it and feast on your useless peasant flesh, then bathe in your blood you scoundrel. I will shower you in terrors of which you haven’t even dreamt yet.” There was gurgling coming from the tomb now. Blood bubbles forming at his mouth.

Salvatore spoke loudly.

“Rise from your slumber and pledge your allegiance to me now, Ciprian. I am the survivor of the bloody massacre that claimed the life of your brother, Romero Carandini. I am the son of a mother that gave up everything to save the only child she had left. I am the rightful heir to the throne.”

“Salvatore,” the ancient one whispered, his glowing red eyes finally flying open. “Is that you?” He uttered, still in shock. His face was filling in slowly.

“Hello uncle,” the young vampire smiled, dropping all theatrics aside.

The ancient one slowly made his way out from the elevated tomb. His face and body were transforming with each step. Every second he seemed to grow younger, until the sharp Carandini jaw was acutely visible, and he no longer resembled a corpse, but a handsome middle-aged man.

Naked, he wiggled his fingers and laughed at the sensation.

“Welcome back into the world of the living,” Salvatore greeted him.

“At last, you come for me Salvatore. And what a sight you are! You look just like your grandfather,” Ciprian replied, greedily gazing upon the youth’s face for the first time in eighteen years.

“So I’ve been told.”

The ancient one walked towards him and seemed to be getting stronger with every step. When he reached Salvatore, he gracefully fell to his feet, taking his pale hand and placing a lasting kiss on it.

“Know that you have my utmost support and loyalty, Your Highness,” he stated, still clutching the hand.

“Thank you, uncle. No need for kneeling.” Ciprian stood up.

“Lawrence, my friend. It has been too long,” he turned to the older vampire who placed his arms around him.

“It’s good to have you back, Ciprian.” After a brief hug he pulled away and turned to Salvatore yet again.

“My lovely nephew, forgive me, but having been asleep for so long, my urges call,” he said with a rueful smile, then turned to look at the two females with hungry eyes. Salvatore chuckled.

“They’re here for you. But uncle,” he warned just before he left the room, “Feed just enough to turn, not to kill.” Ciprian looked slightly surprised but simply replied, “As you wish.”

Then, in a second, he was at the blonde’s throat, and he released a sigh of pure ecstasy as he bit into human flesh and drank blood for the first time in eighteen years.

When he joined Salvatore and Ekhart upstairs a short while later, he seemed to be in chipper spirits and thanked Alexei for the new clothes and for hosting him all these years.

“Ahh, fresh air,” he said, breathing in the crisp Moldovan night after the three of them left.

“How are you feeling uncle?”

“Like a brand-new baby,” the ancient one replied with a long smile. “Now tell me, my handsome nephew, have I missed anything in my slumber?” Salvatore smiled.

“Not much. Although, you’ll find that the Carandini name doesn’t hold the same weight that it used to.” Ciprian stared at him for a moment.

“Well, we’ll change that, won’t we Salvatore? We’ll restore the name to what it once was, with you at the helm. Just as my brother would have wanted it.”

“That is the plan,” the young one replied. “We also live in a Democracy now.”

“A Democracy?” Ciprian laughed. “Vampire Democracy…very well. How’s that working out?”

“It’s not. The State is corrupt.”

“Shocking,” the ancient one replied with sarcasm.

They set out for the long journey back home where Princess Alessandra Letizia Carandini was awaiting them.

“This…this is where we live now?” Ciprian asked entering the small dark home from the underground tunnel which ran underneath it. He didn’t even attempt to conceal his disdain for the shabby surroundings.

“Not suitable to your tastes?” Salvatore teased him.

“Surely they didn’t murder our entire family and take all our money on top of it. Did they?”

“They did. They used it for their government offices and all the various protection programs they decided to form after Romero’s death. We’ve been living off the generosity of families who have secretly remained loyal. But the vast Carandini fortune has all but disappeared.”

“Those maggots. How dare they!?” He pondered looking at Salvatore.

“Ciprian, what a pleasant surprise,” came a quiet female voice from behind Salvatore. Princess Alessandra strolled over and gave him a kiss, after which she ferociously struck him in the face.

“What was that for?” He asked in shock.

“For hiding and being a coward,” she replied.

“A coward?” He recoiled as if had been stung. “You and Salvatore had already received a pardon from The State. But as the brother of the King, I knew I wouldn’t get the same treatment. I chose to go underground and wait for our boy here to grow up so that I could help him reclaim what’s ours. I hardly call that cowardice, Alessandra.”

“You left us to fend for ourselves! We had nothing and nobody to protect us. We’ve been treated like dirt for the past 18 years. Like untouchables, unworthy of even existing while you slept peacefully like a baby.” He looked visibly shaken by her sharp tone, but slowly he took her face in his hands.

“Now, now, my beautiful princess, let’s not say such harsh words to each other. I am here now, and surely that’s what matters most, no?” He kissed her perfect porcelain forehead. “I’m sorry for how you’ve suffered, but Salvatore is of age now, and we are going to take back what’s ours and make them all pay, okay?” She nodded, holding his hands with hers now.

“Come, we have a small welcoming committee here to greet you,” she told him, and they walked over to the living room where a number of vampires sat around a long table.

Ciprian approached those in the family first. “Katarina! Giovanni, my boy!” He exclaimed, hugging a dark red-haired beauty and the vampire next to her.

“Ciprian, just in time for the party, as usual,” Katarina replied.

“Uncle, you remember Professor Maratoni,” Salvatore chimed in.

“Of course, Sebastiano what a delightful surprise to see you here,” he said, shaking the vampire’s hand. “Aurori Altieri! You’re here as well. How splendid,” he called out to the vampire next to Maratoni.

“And who’s this serious-faced hunk of a vampire?” He asked Salvatore while looking at the vampire sitting on the other side of Maratoni.

“That, uncle, is Demetrius Algano. And he is our very best weapon,” he said, smiling. The serious-faced vampire made no reply.

“Scary looking, isn’t he?” Ciprian said, still watching Demetrius. “And how exactly is he going to help us? Will he scare the enemy away with his pointed glare?” He joked.

“He’s what we call a Special, uncle,” Salvatore replied, then launched into an explanation of the Specials program.

“A State weapon,” Ciprian said after he was caught-up to speed. “Extraordinary.”

“Make that two,” the female vampire next to Demetrius chimed in. Her eyes were dark and impenetrable.

“And who might you be, my fierce-eyed beauty?” He inquired.

“I’m Luciana Elise,” she replied, and suddenly all the candles in the room lit up.

“She’s Aurori’s Special,” Salvatore clarified.

“Ah! Marvelous,” Ciprian clapped in ecstasy. “Two state weapons,” he exclaimed laughing with mirth, and taking a seat next to his nephew. “Well, well, you have certainly outdone yourself your highness. Incredible! I must be there when Arani finds out. I simply couldn’t forgive myself if I missed the sight of her humiliation.”

“Three,” Salvatore corrected him suddenly.

“What’s that?”

“Three State weapons, we hope. Vinicius’ Special must come on board.”

“Vinicius’ Special? Not possible,” the ancient one replied. But upon seeing the serious look on Salvatore’s face he asked, “And what of Vinicius?”

“What of him?” Salvatore replied.

“He will pose a problem, no?”

“The eternally extinguished don’t tend to pose problems,” the young vampire said. Luciana snuck a quick glance at Demetrius, who still hadn’t moved an inch.

“Eternally extinguished?” Ciprian sputtered in surprise and Salvatore simply nodded. The ancient one took a long while to reply. “Well, that certainly simplifies everything.”

“Not to burst your bubble cousin, but it would be nice to have his confirmation by now. If he takes any longer, I will assume he is going to pose a threat to our plan,” Katarina said and a muscle on the side of Salvatore’s jaw twitched.

“No, he’s as benign as his original mentor,” Maratoni suddenly chimed in. She didn’t seem convinced.

“If Vinicius was so benign, why was he in charge of the Specials program and not you?” Maratoni looked as if she had backhanded him across the face.

“Luck. Pure luck,” he spat out. She looked back to Salvatore.

“What do you think, cousin?” Salvatore frowned.

“Leave Vinicius’ Special to me. I’ll take care of him,” he replied, and Ciprian laughed with pride, gently rubbing his shoulder.

Copyright © 2021 C. Henderson; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 11
  • Love 9
  • Wow 7
This story is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, organizations, places, events and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

Dani is uniquely positioned between maintaining state control and the resurrection of the kingdom, which may explain why Vinicius kept him isolated so that he can make his own decisions without outside influences. His decision could result in neither side having any advantages. 
 

As the previous chapter eluded, he should trust no one. It appears that both sides want to use him only as a weapon. The plot thickens. 

  • Like 3
  • Love 2
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, J.El said:

Dani is uniquely positioned between maintaining state control and the resurrection of the kingdom, which may explain why Vinicius kept him isolated so that he can make his own decisions without outside influences. His decision could result in neither side having any advantages. 
 

As the previous chapter eluded, he should trust no one. It appears that both sides want to use him only as a weapon. The plot thickens. 

Yes, he is stuck in the middle between two powerful sides that, from the looks of it, are about to go to war 😬

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

Dani should go out on his own... how would that look? Only the aurhor can choose that... that is what makes these kinds of stories my favorite.... they could litteraly go anywhere! So exciting! 

Edited by Shaggy_93
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
7 minutes ago, Shaggy_93 said:

Dani should go out on his own... how would that look? Only the aurhor can choose that... that is what makes these kinds of stories my favorite.... they could litteraly go anywhere! So exciting! 

Hmm, how would that look indeed? Could be quite lonely 🤔  We'll see.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
1 hour ago, C. Henderson said:

Hmm, how would that look indeed? Could be quite lonely 🤔  We'll see.

My thought at that time was that he finds somebody to trust absolutely and gets away from all involved... the person he trusts could either bring him great reward or horrible experiences and unimaginable pain,

stories like these can litteraly go anywhere and i love it... that was pretty much all I felt i had to say... 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Shaggy_93 said:

My thought at that time was that he finds somebody to trust absolutely and gets away from all involved... the person he trusts could either bring him great reward or horrible experiences and unimaginable pain,

stories like these can litteraly go anywhere and i love it... that was pretty much all I felt i had to say... 

Thank you! 😊  I appreciate the feedback. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator

With this group revealed determined to replace the new order with the old, Vincent begins to appear more sinister. The cold way Vicinius' death is mentioned as the removal of an obstacle tilts the needle of blame toward these conspirators although we can't yet be certain.

Demetrius and Maratoni's presence weren't a surprise, but Luciana was. It does explain her closeness to Demetrius.

Dani is in the focal point of a maelstrom of high politics and conspiracies. Sooner than he would like, he will need to make some difficult choices.

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

With this group revealed determined to replace the new order with the old, Vincent begins to appear more sinister. The cold way Vicinius' death is mentioned as the removal of an obstacle tilts the needle of blame toward these conspirators although we can't yet be certain.

Yes, who is our Vincent truly? He seems to be able to play many roles.

6 minutes ago, drpaladin said:

Dani is in the focal point of a maelstrom of high politics and conspiracies. Sooner than he would like, he will need to make some difficult choices.

Indeed, he is going to have to make a decision one way or the other. The question is: what will he choose to do? 

  • Like 1
  • Love 2
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
29 minutes ago, C. Henderson said:

Yes, who is our Vincent truly? He seems to be able to play many roles.

Indeed, he is going to have to make a decision one way or the other. The question is: what will he choose to do? 

Dani is captivated by Vincent's personality and charisma, but should we see him merely as a clone of his father and grandfather? He didn't allow his uncle to drain the human volunteers and this speaks to an element of morality. I can understand his desire for vengeance. The revolt, like so many, was too harsh and went too far. As such, it spawned the seeds of the next. A bloodless coup is beyond unlikely, but will the new order be an improvement of the old? It all hangs on Vincent, Dani, and even the enigmatic Demetrius.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment

The story quite literally could go anywhere. But, these are my takes as a reader.

1. Dani's mentor left him completely unprepared for the storm that is coming. 
2. Dani is being manipulated by ever single person in his life. The state's intentions of manipulation are clear. Vincent has been deceitful of his intentions. We have yet to see full extent of his mentor's intentions, and by proxy Graham's intentions. 

3. Dani is the single most powerful being to ever exist. Even if he fails to realize it yet. There is nothing stopping him from wiping out the state and the Carandini family. His only true master is his conscience. 

4. While this last chapter seemed to take a bit of a dark turn, we still don't know Vincent's true intentions. Was his talk in this chapter true, was it bravado, was it a mixture? 

If I were in Dani's shoes, I would be pissed. I would be mad at the state for forcing me to exist solely so they could manipulate me. I would be mad at my mentor and his attorney for the cloak and dagger bullshit that left me unprepared to fight what is coming. I would be mad at Vincent and Demetrius for their deceit and doubly at Vincent for his attempts to manipulate. 

Honestly? I'd likely walk away. Let the players play. Let pieces fall where they may. I would begin living my own truths, and seeking my own destiny. I owe no one my loyalty, especially when all involved either want to own me, use me, or keep me in the dark. Screw that, and them. I'm just trying to exist. I'd leave the fighting to those who have a horse in the race, and become my own master. After all, who could stop me?

  • Like 2
  • Love 2
Link to comment
7 hours ago, drpaladin said:

Dani is captivated by Vincent's personality and charisma, but should we see him merely as a clone of his father and grandfather? He didn't allow his uncle to drain the human volunteers and this speaks to an element of morality. I can understand his desire for vengeance. The revolt, like so many, was too harsh and went too far. As such, it spawned the seeds of the next. A bloodless coup is beyond unlikely, but will the new order be an improvement of the old? It all hangs on Vincent, Dani, and even the enigmatic Demetrius.

Nicely put! And good question, I think we will have to learn more about King Romero in order to compare. You're right that Vincent's desire for revenge is pretty natural given what happened to his family and how he and his mother have been treated ever since.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
2 hours ago, Aaron728 said:

The story quite literally could go anywhere. But, these are my takes as a reader.

1. Dani's mentor left him completely unprepared for the storm that is coming. 
2. Dani is being manipulated by ever single person in his life. The state's intentions of manipulation are clear. Vincent has been deceitful of his intentions. We have yet to see full extent of his mentor's intentions, and by proxy Graham's intentions. 

3. Dani is the single most powerful being to ever exist. Even if he fails to realize it yet. There is nothing stopping him from wiping out the state and the Carandini family. His only true master is his conscience. 

4. While this last chapter seemed to take a bit of a dark turn, we still don't know Vincent's true intentions. Was his talk in this chapter true, was it bravado, was it a mixture? 

Very interesting takes, thank you for your input! 

As to point 3, that is very true. But given how Vinicius has raised him, I doubt Dani would be able to wipe out the warring factions and go about living his life without any guilt. His morality is Vinicius' way of ensuring his very own checks and balances system within Dani--the most powerful Special. It was instilled within him from such a young age so that he wouldn't take advantage of his power and start simply destroying those in his way.

To point 4, you're right we still don't know. There may be reasons for why Vincent is doing what he's doing, or he may be playing Dani for his own scheme. One thing is for sure, he knows having Dani on his side will make things a lot easier.

Quote


If I were in Dani's shoes, I would be pissed. I would be mad at the state for forcing me to exist solely so they could manipulate me. I would be mad at my mentor and his attorney for the cloak and dagger bullshit that left me unprepared to fight what is coming. I would be mad at Vincent and Demetrius for their deceit and doubly at Vincent for his attempts to manipulate. 

Yes, and he is mad! He's been griping since the beginning of the story 😂

Quote

Honestly? I'd likely walk away. Let the players play. Let pieces fall where they may. I would begin living my own truths, and seeking my own destiny. I owe no one my loyalty, especially when all involved either want to own me, use me, or keep me in the dark. Screw that, and them. I'm just trying to exist. I'd leave the fighting to those who have a horse in the race, and become my own master. After all, who could stop me?

He could technically do that, although it might put a huge target on his back. I don't see the State just happily letting him go and not trying to hunt him down since they feel entitled to the power he possesses. And despite his power, nobody is completely invincible. If he makes enough enemies, they could find a way to stop him...Especially right now when he's still learning about his capabilities.

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
1 hour ago, drpaladin said:

I challenge the first premise. Vicinius built Dani's character first and foremost by instilling in him a sense of ethics and morality. After seeing how easily he picked up using his gift, Vicinius would have known Dani's was the easiest to use of all the Specials. He doesn't need to worry about overtaxing himself because he's channeling the power around him and it will always be there. The other reason Vicinius kept him in the dark is simple, you don't just give a child the most powerful weapon in the world until you know they will use it the right way. Vicinius gave Dani as close to a normal life as he could.

As to the rest, Dani will never just walk away. He will try to do what his heart and mind feels is right. Hopefully his dreams will help to guide him to the best path.

Yes, it seems that Vinicius wasn't concerned with Dani learning how to use his power, he was concerned with how Dani was going to apply that power in the future. What set of ethics would he follow to make his decisions? He was concerned with his character and making sure he didn't accidentally create a future dictator. 

Quote

As to the rest, Dani will never just walk away. He will try to do what his heart and mind feels is right. Hopefully his dreams will help to guide him to the best path.

Aside from his morals and wanting to do the right thing by humanity, I also don't see him walking away from Vincent and Demetrius at this point...

He better dream up some solutions quick! 😂

  • Like 1
  • Love 3
Link to comment
3 hours ago, drpaladin said:

I challenge the first premise. Vicinius built Dani's character first and foremost by instilling in him a sense of ethics and morality. After seeing how easily he picked up using his gift, Vicinius would have known Dani's was the easiest to use of all the Specials. He doesn't need to worry about overtaxing himself because he's channeling the power around him and it will always be there. The other reason Vicinius kept him in the dark is simple, you don't just give a child the most powerful weapon in the world until you know they will use it the right way. Vicinius gave Dani as close to a normal life as he could.

As to the rest, Dani will never just walk away. He will try to do what his heart and mind feels is right. Hopefully his dreams will help to guide him to the best path.

My comment was not in reference to Dani's power. I wholly understand you don't give that kind of power to a child. 

I was speaking more about the sheltered upbringing. Dain's naivety. His lack of contacts. His lack of perspective. Teaching a child to figure out the difference between right and wrong, and to choose right is noble. But, over the story Dani's theme is that everyone is redeemable. While, that is a great character feature, it should be mentioned that some people's redemption may not be worth the cost. Especially when Dani's decisions will ultimately decide the fate of the world. I fear in the end he is susceptible to making the emotional choice, rather than the logical one, or better yet striking a balance between what his heart wants and his head knows to be right. At the end of the day, trustworthy confidants who could act as a sounding board would have served him far better than a normal life. Considering that as you said, he is the most likely to be used of all the specials. People around him that he trusts, that have no desire to use him, but are motivated by his happiness.. that is the resource he needed.

For what its worth... Dani's life was far from normal. From my experience, a "normal life" contains experiences of loss, pain, anguish, and stress. Everyone has problems. Everyone. Dani was sheltered until Vicinius died. That is not "normal".

I get it that Dani wouldn't walk away. I was just stating what I would do. Different strokes for different folks. 

This is in no way a critique of the writing. Just musings about the story.
 

Edited by Aaron728
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment

Very good points!

Quote

But, over the story Dani's theme is that everyone is redeemable. While, that is a great character feature, it should be mentioned that some people's redemption may not be worth the cost. Especially when Dani's decisions will ultimately decide the fate of the world.

I think you have hit on one of the most important questions within the story, which is, at what point does someone become irredeemable? That is one of the questions Dani is going to struggle with the most going forward.

Quote

At the end of the day, trustworthy confidants who could act as a sounding board would have served him far better than a normal life. Considering that as you said, he is the most likely to be used of all the specials. People around him that he trusts, that have no desire to use him, but are motivated by his happiness.. that is the resource he needed.

Indeed, but perhaps Vinicius was wary of who he could trust when it came to raising Dani. After all, even being around such a powerful child and knowing you have influence over them, and thus could use their power to your advantage, can be a source of corruption for some. As far as we know, the only people he was comfortable letting around Dani were other students around his age at the private academy as well as, briefly, some adults like Eric Van Sant. 

Quote

 

For what its worth... Dani's life was far from normal. From my experience, a "normal life" contains experiences of loss, pain, anguish, and stress. Everyone has problems. Everyone. Dani was sheltered until Vicinius died. That is not "normal".

 

You're right, we can definitely agree that it was far from a normal upbringing. I think the question now is, did Dani's sheltered upbringing do more harm or good in the long run? 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
  • Site Moderator
2 hours ago, Aaron728 said:

My comment was not in reference to Dani's power. I wholly understand you don't give that kind of power to a child. 

I was speaking more about the sheltered upbringing. Dain's naivety. His lack of contacts. His lack of perspective. Teaching a child to figure out the difference between right and wrong, and to choose right is noble. But, over the story Dani's theme is that everyone is redeemable. While, that is a great character feature, it should be mentioned that some people's redemption may not be worth the cost. Especially when Dani's decisions will ultimately decide the fate of the world. I fear in the end he is susceptible to making the emotional choice, rather than the logical one, or better yet striking a balance between what his heart wants and his head knows to be right. At the end of the day, trustworthy confidants who could act as a sounding board would have served him far better than a normal life. Considering that as you said, he is the most likely to be used of all the specials. People around him that he trusts, that have no desire to use him, but are motivated by his happiness.. that is the resource he needed.

For what its worth... Dani's life was far from normal. From my experience, a "normal life" contains experiences of loss, pain, anguish, and stress. Everyone has problems. Everyone. Dani was sheltered until Vicinius died. That is not "normal".

I get it that Dani wouldn't walk away. I was just stating what I would do. Different strokes for different folks. 

This is in no way a critique of the writing. Just musings about the story.
 

I didn't say his power was more likely to be used. I said it was easier for him to use.

As to my normal comment, it was more that he wasn't raised as a Special. There is no normal for anyone. I know my childhood wasn't anything close to normal. If Vicinius was guilty of anything, it was he loved Dani too much and overprotected him, but as an immortal he also assumed he'd be around to guide him. Maybe we and Dani will learn more from his letter.

  • Love 5
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..