Jump to content
    CarlHoliday
  • Author
  • 4,286 Words
  • 2,237 Views
  • 3 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

319 Winesap Lane - 7. Chapter 7 - Sunday Supper

MULTIPLE POVs

“First of all, I suppose we should have someone say the blessing,” Geoff said from the head of the long table.

“I guess that would be my offering for today,” a voice said from about three quarters down the table. “Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, if you will bow your heads. Dear Father as we gather here today to celebrate the beginning of another year at Warnton College, we thank Mark Andrews and his family for providing this room and their kitchen to the success of this venture, we pray that the perpetrator who performed the act of arson and anger upon Geoff Johnson’s home is found and that justice prevails, and we thank You for all of Your blessings we will receive in the coming weeks. In Jesus’ name we pray. Amen.”

“Thank you Reverend Charles for your kind words. I’m sure everyone is aware of the tragedy that occurred at my home last night, which is the reason we’re gathered here in Mark Andrews’ basement. The beef roast has been sliced, there are scalloped potatoes, baked red potatoes, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans and bacon, baked carrots, parsnips, Brussel sprouts, and baked dinner rolls. Afterwards, if you have room in your stomachs, there will be pies and ice cream or whipping cream. The pass will go left to right.”

For the first time in a couple years all eighteen chairs had someone sitting in them. Plus, there were two card tables set up: one held the pies; and, at the other Patty, her parents, and Erik sat. To Geoff’s left sat Sarah Andrews and to his right sat her father. Geoff had learned that Mark’s wife had died two years earlier from an aggressive form of leukemia and Mark just hadn’t thought about taking off the ring.

“Have you ever thought of looking for another person to bring into your life?” Geoff asked as he put a spoonful of beans on his plate and handed it off to Mark.

“Dad’s still carrying a torch,” Sarah said.

“I am not, I just haven’t found anyone who can take the place of your mother in my heart,” Mark said as he put the spoon back in the bowl of green beans and handed it to a Warnton student sitting next to him.

“He hasn’t looked all that hard; he spends most nights here in the house listening to music he and Mmother listened to as teens,” Sarah said.

“Sometimes it takes some people longer to go through the grieving process,” Geoff offered.

“Have you ever had someone close die?” Sarah asked. She perused the dinner rolls seemingly looking for the smallest, which she pulled out from under another one. She made a sour face when she realized the roll was bigger than the one above it. She handed the rolls to Geoff.

“As a matter of fact I have,” Geoff said as he took a roll and handed the platter to Mark. “I knew him from high school, but we lived apart and he eventually died from AIDS.”

“That the person, who gave you the eagle, wasn’t it?” Mark asked as he took a roll and handed the platter to the student next to him.

“Yes,” Geoff said as he waited for Sarah to finish deciding if she was going to take some scalloped potatoes.

“You’re gay?” Sarah asked as she passed the potatoes to Geoff without taking any.

“Yes; does it matter?” Geoff asked as he took about a half spoonful of the scalloped potatoes.

“Oh, no; is that why the Provost made you leave?” Sarah asked as she placed a slice of roast beef on her plate.

“He didn’t make me leave; we just had a difference of opinion and I chose not to be associated with Warnton anymore,” he said as he took the platter with the roast on it and took a slice. He handed it off to Mark who strangely smiled for some unknown reason.

Meanwhile about halfway down the table Jerry sat across from Gerry. On either side of both boys were college students. On Jerry’s left sat a rather plain, slender girl with curly mop of blonde hair named Monica and on his right there was an equally skinny boy named Barry who had green eyeshadow, mascaraed eyelashes, and black eyeliner. On Gerry’s left there was an overweight boy named Todd whose pasty white face was covered in pimples; while on his right there was a person whose sex he hadn’t quite figured out. He assumed it was a boy trying to come off as a girl, kind of like Patty was, but in a more exaggerated sense. Patty didn’t have to try to look like a girl because her facial features and body structure were very feminine, while this boy had a more masculine appearance other than the dark red lipstick, absence of any facial hair, a slight pinkish blush to his cheeks, neatly trimmed black eyebrows, light blue eyeshadow, black mascara and eyeliner, and long, neatly trimmed fingernails that were painted with lavender polish that had silver flecks in it. His hair had been shorn into a Mohawk and dyed bright purple.

“Hi, my name is Gerry.” He said to the mystery boy.

“Clarence,” the boy lisped unnaturally. “Do you go to Warnton? I’ve never seen you before.”

“No, I’m a senior at Warnton High School.”

“Oh, how nice. Barry, dear, this darling boy is still in high school. How do you think he got invited to this table today?”

“I don’t make up the invitations,” Barry said in a voice full the smooth, syrupy affectation of Anthony Blanche in the Granada Television production of Brideshead Revisited.

“He’s with me,” Jerry said.

“And, my dear fellow, you are?” Barry asked.

“I’m Jerry, the houseboy,” Jerry said with a smile.

“Then you knew that deplorable David fellow from Woodstock,” Clarence said.

“Yes, for a while,” Jerry said.

“A most disreputable person indeed,” Barry said.

“Definitely!” Clarence exclaimed. “Did you hear he has been detained by the state police as suspect in torching Dr. Johnson’s house?”

“Do say?” Barry said.

“Yes; and the fool actually burned himself in the attempt,” Clarence said.

“You weren’t hurt were you?” Barry asked as he turned to Jerry.

“No, but we have to stay with the neighbors until the smell of the smoke is removed and the contractors say it’s okay for us to move back in,” Jerry said.

“How horrible,” Clarence said. Turning to Gerry, he asked, “And, pray tell, where do you live?”

“A-a-a few blocks away,” Gerry stammered.

“Then the fire didn’t affect you,” Clarence said.

“N-n-n-o,” Gerry stammered.

“Clarence, leave the dear child alone,” Barry said. “You’re absolutely scaring him.”

“He’s no child; I can tell this boy has muscles, real manly muscles. You know, Barry, the kind of muscles I like.”

“You two are totally impossible,” Monica said. “Why does Dr. Johnson keep inviting you guys?”

“Because he likes us and he thinks we’re colorful,” Barry said. “Dr. Johnson likes colorful people. You should try to use some makeup more often. You’d be surprised at what it can do for a plain person such as yourself.”

“Hear! Hear!” Clarence exclaimed. “How are you today, Toady?”

“My name is not Toady,” Todd said.

“You know you’d look a lot better if you lost a little of that flab you’re carrying around,” Barry said.

“Fuck off, fag,” Todd said.

The room suddenly became very silent. Geoff looked down the table and said, “Todd McAdam, there are a number of people here who find that word to be highly offensive. You will apologize for uttering it or leave this residence.”

“I’m sorry that I offended anyone,” Todd said, “but my weight is my problem not Barry’s.”

“You hear that, Barry?” Geoff asked.

“Yes, sir,” Barry said meekly.

Meanwhile at the far end of the table Professor Adams sat with Geoff’s secretary, Charlotte, on her left and Charlotte’s four-year-old daughter, Angela, on her right. Charlotte’s six-year-old son, Harry, Jr., sat next to her and her husband, Harry, Sr., sat across from him.

“I feel sort of out of place,” Harry said. “I’m not used to being around students and professors in social settings.”

“Don’t let it trouble you,” Professor Adams said. “Geoff is well known for inviting all sorts of people to these affairs. I know I’ve seen you around campus, but exactly what is your function?”

“I’m a senior groundskeeper.”

“Lawns and shrubs, then?”

“And, flowers. Bill Cottle and I maintain the perennial beds around the dormitories.”

“Oh, yes, they’re beautiful. Didn’t there used to be flowers in the beds around the Admin Building?”

“Yes, but the Provost ordered them taken out and replaced with nonflowering shrubs. He tried that with the dormitories, but the Alumni Association went to the Board and had him overruled.”

“I wish there was something we could do about that man,” Professor Adams mused.

“I’m in kinnergarden this year,” Angela interrupted, “and am a year early. Ain’t I, Mommy?”

“Yes, dear, you are, but you mustn’t interrupt other people’s conversations or say ain’t,” Charlotte said. “We’ve talked about this before.”

“And, what do you want to be when you grow up?” Professor Adams asked.

“I’m going to be a college professor like Dr. Johnson,” Angela said. “Mommy used to work for him. He invited us today.”

“I’m going to be an astronaut and go to Mars,” Harry, Jr., said.

“That’s very interesting and what are you going to do on Mars?” Professor Adams asked.

“I’m going to grow fruits and vegetables so the other astronauts can have healthy diets while they live on Mars.”

“Well, I can certainly see where you got that idea,” Professor Adams said. “Charlotte, Harry, I commend you on your wonderful children. They are a credit to their upbringing.”

“Thank you, Professor Adams,” Charlotte said.

“Alice, just Alice, I’m only a professor in a classroom.”

Directly behind Professor Adams, Erik sat at the card table with Patty Daniels and her parents Bill and Margaret. As he ate his meal, he couldn’t help glancing across the table at Patty and whenever their eyes met he’d blush and break the contact. Patty, for her part, thought it was cute that Erik was taking so much interest in her. She suspected there was no future to his interest in her, but she also wasn’t willing to let the boy go on acting like he was attracted to her.

“Are you ready for school tomorrow?” Patty asked.

“Uh, yeah, kind of, but since we’re living with the neighbors I don’t know how I’m going to get up in time,” Erik said. “I don’t want to disrupt their daily lives just because they offered us beds to use until we can move back into Geoff’s house.”

“Do you like living with Dr. Johnson?” Bill asked.

“Oh, yes, sir; he bought me a new clarinet. Well, it’s not actually a new one, but it is a well reconditioned used one. He’s going to take me to Rochester tomorrow afternoon to meet a woman to see if I can get a late audition for the youth symphony.”

“That’s quite remarkable for a temporary foster placement, isn’t it, dear?” Margaret asked.

“Yes, but I think Dr. Johnson is a remarkable person,” Bill said. “I truly believe he intends to do everything he can to adopt Erik. Is that your impression, son?”

“Yes, sir; Geoff is the best. I know he’s old enough to be my grandfather, but he’s not like any of my regular grandfathers. He told me what books I should read in addition to those I’ll read in school. When he took me to Rochester yesterday we talked a little about things. Do you know he’s literate in nearly ten languages?”

“No, I didn’t know that. Are you interested in learning a foreign language?”

“Now I am. He said I need to learn French if I ever want to go to Europe and he, also, said that I’d probably want to do that since I’m very accomplished on the clarinet. He’s very intelligent. You know, with all of the bedrooms he has in his house he could have a lot more foster children, if he wanted more.”

“Do you think he’d take one more boy?”

“I suppose; why do you have a boy in mind?”

“Yes, there is a boy down in Binghamton who I have to go down tomorrow and pick up. He’ll be going into a group home down in Lyons. He was in a placement last spring up here in Warnton, but unfortunately that ended unexpectedly. That’s why I came today.”

“How old is he?”

“Well, we thought he was fifteen, but in reality he is actually only fourteen—a few months older than you I believe. There was a mix-up in his birth certificate before he went in the system, but that is something I’ll have to discuss with Dr. Johnson.

“I understand, adult talk.”

“Daddy doesn’t like to talk shop to kids,” Patty said.

Erik smiled and then turned his attention to his slice of roast. He wondered about having a boy his age in the house. Could they be friends? Or, would he feel uncomfortable knowing that this boy might become his brother? Maybe the boy wasn’t gay, but why would Patty’s father consider putting this boy in Geoff’s house if he wasn’t gay? As he brought a forkful of beef to his mouth he looked over at Patty who gave him one of her flirtatious looks. Embarrassed, he looked at his plate and nearly shoved the piece of beef on his fork into his nose.

* * * *

“Do I make you nervous?” Clarence asked quietly.

“Sort of,” Gerry said. “I’ve never met a gay guy like you.”

“Oh, I’m not gay, I’m trans.”

“Oh, like Patty.”

“And, who is Patty?”

“Over there at the card table.”

“Which one are you referring to, the boy or the girl?”

“Oh, Patty isn’t a girl, yet. Her parents said she can’t transition until she graduates from high school.”

“You mean that girl at that table is one of us?”

“Yep.”

“Are you a virgin?” Clarence asked sotto voce.

Gerry looked over at him not certain he’d actually heard what he was nearly positive he had in fact heard. In a near whispered he asked, “Why do you want to know?”

“You’re nice and I was wondering if you might want to come over to our place—I live with Barry; we have an off-campus apartment. I’d like to get to know your muscles.”

“I’m with Jerry.”

“Oh, he can come too. Maybe, Barry might like to play with him, while I’m playing with you.”

“I don’t know what to say,” Gerry said. He’d never actually met someone like this and the thought of going to an older guy’s apartment for the sole purpose of some sort of sexual activity wasn’t quite within his level of experience.

“You didn’t answer my original question.”

“No I didn’t.”

“Well?”

“Yes; well, I’ve done things, but nothing close to insertion.”

“Ooh, Barry and I could give you a fuck sandwich,” Clarence whispered in Gerry’s ear.

“A what?”

“You fuck me while Barry is fucking you,” again in Gerry’s ear.

Gerry stared across the table at Jerry and then his eyes moved to the guy sitting next to Jerry. The eye makeup was unnerving, but the thought of casual sex with these two was something he was not certain he wanted to get involved with. After all, they were college students, though probably only a couple years older than him. He looked again at Jerry and thought of the kiss they shared yesterday evening. Did that bind him to the other boy? More importantly, though, was he the kind of boy who went outside a budding relationship just for a sexual experience he might not have the chance for ever again?

“When?” Gerry asked.

“Give me your cell number and we’ll work out a date,” Clarence said.

As they swapped numbers, Gerry thought about what he was going to do with being a friend or maybe even a boyfriend of Jerry. He didn’t think he was cheating in agreeing to do this thing with Barry and Clarence because he hadn’t really had an actual date with Jerry. But, why did he feel he was somehow going behind Jerry’s back to have something that should only be called illicit sex? Yet, there was the temptation of not only losing his virginity by fucking another guy, but also discovering what it felt like to be fucked. Jerry had had that experience with Dave even if it had turned out badly, so why shouldn’t he do the same?

“Are you worried?” Clarence asked.

“A little,” Gerry admitted.

“Don’t be; Barry gives a gentle fuck for virgins.”

Across the table Jerry watched Gerry talking with Clarence, but couldn’t hear enough of their conversation to figure out what they were saying to each other. He noticed that Gerry seemed upset now and then, but now they were exchanging cell numbers, so what did that mean?

“You’re being awfully quiet; are you still upset over the fire?” Barry asked.

“Yeah, a little,” Jerry said.

“You’re wondering why Clarence is talking to your friend, aren’t you?”

“Yeah, I guess.”

“He’s inviting him over to our place so we can have sex with him.”

“Oh.”

“Would you like to join us?”

“I’m on restriction as far as sex goes.”

“Oh? Something drastic happen?”

“I may have been exposed to an STD or HIV.”

“Oh, dear, we don’t want you, but you could come and watch, I guess. Would you want to watch?”

“That could be incredibly exciting.”

“Yes it could. Give me your cell and I’ll give you my number.”

Jerry fished his cell phone out of his pants pocket and handed it to Barry. Why was he doing this? He was going to have to talk to Gerry and find out what he and Clarence were talking about. What kind of sex acts did three men perform with each other? Well, he did have that book that Geoff gave him; maybe he would find out in there.

At the headend of the table Geoff looked down its length and felt satisfied that, other than the unfortunate outburst from Todd, the dinner had gone rather well. Mark was still rather illusive in his comments and actions. To Geoff, at times Mark came across as a man who might be interested in the companionship of another man, but at other times he appeared to be as straight as you would expect a man who still wore a wedding band even though his wife had been dead enough years for him to start looking for some sort of companionship.

“When do you think we’ll be able to move back into the house?” Geoff asked.

“Oh, let’s see, the cleaners will be out Wednesday and should be done by Thursday,” Mark said. “We’ll have to bring in an environmental certified company to tear out the plaster and lath in the living room and the bedroom above it. The earliest they can be here won’t be until next week sometime, but after they’re finished you can move back in.”

“Why do you need them?”

“In case there is any lead paint on your walls. Your house is old enough so we have to do that.”

“Oh, okay, you’re the expert. Everyone! I need volunteers to clear the tables and set out the dessert plates, silverware, pies, and serve the ice cream or whipping cream.”

“Sarah,” Mark said.

“Sure thing, Dad.”

“That’s a good girl.”

“Grab Jerry while you’re up,” Geoff said.

“Which one?” Sarah asked.

“Mine,” Geoff said.

“Which one is he?”

“The one on your side of the table.”

“Oh, the cute one.”

“I suppose I should stay completely out of the house until the cleaners are done,” Geoff said.

“Oh, no, you can go into your office,” Mark said. “How bad is the smell in there?”

“Not bad at all, compared to the rest of the house.”

“What are you going to be doing with your life now that you don’t work for the college?”

“Well, Mrs. Frazier came by earlier and wants me to stay. She’s given me a week to make up my mind.”

“What about the Provost? I thought your leaving was based on your disagreement with him?”

“Don’t let this get around, but according to Mrs. Frazier we might not have to worry about the Provost for very much longer. In fact, she offered me his job.”

“Are you going to take it?”

“No way! I’m not an administrator. The last thing I want to get involved with the all the politics that go on in that building.”

“But, will you stay on as a professor?”

“Probably, she did say I could move into an emeritus position next fall, which will keep me tied to the college.”

“I know at least one student who would appreciate that.”

“I know of a whole table of students who would like to see me stay and you should tell them that.”

“Now?”

“Why not?”

Geoff thought about that for a moment until he said, “Everyone, could I have your attention. I’m sure all of you are aware of my recent decision to leave Warnton College after a disagreement with the Provost. I have been asked by the Chair of the Board of Trustees to reconsider my position. For the past couple days, I was looking forward to entering into some sort of retirement, especially considering I have accepted a foster child placement into my home. I figured I would need extra time for him, but Mrs. Frazier can present a very convincing argument. So, for the record, I will be off work this week deciding whether I should return to Warnton. I will speak with Mrs. Frazier next weekend and I will make my decision at that time.”

“Hear! Hear!” Clarence exclaimed and everybody started clapping.

* * * *

At the end of the meal, Bill Daniels came up to Geoff and said, “Dr. Johnson, I’m Bill Daniels, I’ve taken over responsibility for Erik’s placement with you.”

“Is there something wrong?” Geoff asked.

“Oh, no, quite the contrary; I’ve been talking to Erik today—when he isn’t making goo-goo eyes at my daughter—and he has nothing but praise toward you. Of course, your background check will take some time, but I don’t foresee any problems in that area. Do you?”

“I don’t really know what you would discover other than I’m gay and not in a relationship.”

“That won’t be a problem. The main reason I’m here is there is another boy who is going to need a placement in Warnton. I’m going down to Binghamton tomorrow to possibly pick him up after his appearance in court.”

“I don’t have any place for him until I can move back into the house.”

“I know that, plus you have to finish your certification classes before I can place him.”

“Yes, where do I go for them?”

“They’re conducted at our office in Lyons. Are you the only adult in the home?”

“No, actually I guess you can count my houseboy as an adult as he is eighteen.”

“Yes, he’ll have to attend, too. What exactly are his duties?”

“Primarily attend his classes at Warnton College and take care of the house.”

“Oh, he’s a student?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, I’ll send you the information on the classes. They’re conducted in the evenings.”

“This new boy, you said he has a court appearance tomorrow?”

“Just a final determination of his status. Mostly, to transfer authority for him from Broome County to Wayne County. I will let you know he will be attending counseling on a regular basis. He had a rather rough and unusual childhood.”

“Nothing serious, I hope.”

“I don’t want to scare you, but the boy was addicted to heroin and in the sex trade for most of his childhood. Then he was institutionalized in the mistaken belief that that would cure him. He had a successful placement up here last spring, but he was reinstitutionalized and his foster parents were killed in a tragic traffic accident. I have high hopes for him, if I can only get him up here in a home where he will receive the love he needs.”

“Well, I’ve accepted Erik so I might as well give this boy a chance, too. How old is he.”

“Fourteen.”

“He’ll fit right in.”

“Well, thank you Dr. Johnson for availing yourself to the needs of the children in Wayne County.”

“Sure thing.”

Geoff looked around at everyone until his eyes were drawn down the table to where Gerry was talking to Barry and Clarence. He began to wonder what those two were doing with the boy. Had they talked to Jerry, too? Or, were they just interested in Gerry. He figured it was none of his business because Gerry was probably over seventeen, which was the age of consent in New York. Then again maybe he should intervene, if only to assure that Gerry wouldn’t be harmed by whatever the other two had in mind. But, then he paused and thought if he interfered would he be acting in the best interest of Gerry’s life experience. After all, sometimes wasn’t it best to let a person decide on his own course of life; and, he wasn’t the boy’s parent, so what authority did he have over the boy? He was almost certain that neither Barry nor Clarence would do anything to physically harm Gerry. Finally, he decided to let things be and not to get involved.

A great big thanks to Sharon for a wonderful job of editing and proofing.
Copyright © 2017 CarlHoliday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 15
  • Love 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this author. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new stories they post.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

On 10/23/2016 03:33 AM, JayT said:

A warning to read William Walter Williams first would have been nice...

Thanks for the comment, Jay.

 

No, I don't think advising readers to read William Walter Williams now is appropriate. Within the 319 realm, Will is still an unknown entity. I believe when he is formally introduced would be a more appropriate time to give an advisory to read his story.

Link to comment

I don't know why but about how way through this chapter I had the strangest feeling that I needed to go back and read Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City... 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..