Jump to content
    CarlHoliday
  • Author
  • 6,566 Words
  • 770 Views
  • 0 Comments
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 

The G. M. Os. - 13. Chapter 13 - Eddy, Fourth Day

Chapter 13
Ship Clock 262167
Moli 20-578p
Eddy, Fourth Day

 

“Morning, Mother.”

“Huh, oh, you’re here, Happy Botsday, Bud.”

“Happy Botsday, Mother.”

“Bud, you keep talking like that and we’re going to have to get married, whether the bots like it or not.”

“That’s okay, Mother, I think I’d like that. Now, go pee and come back. I need something.”

“Ah! Boys!”

“That didn’t take long; lay down, close to me. A little closer, give me your right hand. Yes, that’s the one. It’s the morning, Mother, and you have a little task to perform. Yes, right there.”

“This? You want Mother to do something with this?”

“Oh, Moli, yes.”

********

The Matriculation Ceremony was a boring affair held in the Concert Hall, a large building back of the Admin Building. When Moli and Eddy walked in each was given a small candle which wasn’t lit. They went and found seats toward the front and waited. On the stage there were six chairs on one side of a lectern and after a long while seven adults, some quite older than the others, came out and six of them sat on the chairs, the other, and old woman, at least over a hundred-years-old, stood at the lectern.

“Welcome to you the new students to Central City University. I wish you a long and successful term of education here at our school.”

And, so it went for the next three hours. As Moli and Eddy were in the middle of their row there was no way for them to escape this incredibly long presentation of pedagogical boredom. The speakers seemed to be reciting speeches memorized after repeated ceremonies over the past millennia. They had nothing to offer except the potential of extremely dreary classes from exceedingly dull instructors in the years of their attendance. Nothing useful was said; this was all about the administrators and not their future students.

The last speaker told four of the bots in attendance to light the first candle at the beginning of the first row and for each student to pass the flame on to the next candle in the row and at the other end for that student to pass the flame to the candle behind. The entire process took nearly an hour as sometimes the flame would go out and the process would have to go back to the nearest candle with a flame. For Moli and Eddy it was apparent that their candles were going to melt down to lumps of wax before this thing was going to end, but they waited until at last candles along the front row and succeeding rows behind began to falter. There was nothing anyone could do.

Finally, the speaker began her final spiel, “These candles represent your future here at Central City University, may they continue to burn in your hearts and minds in the years ahead, furthermore.”

At last, the speakers left the stage and the students rose from their seats to exit the building, but there was another presentation to come. A bot, possibly from security or a higher echelon, walked out onto the stage and began speaking: “For your consideration and immediate attention, we must inform you that this is a bot administered facility that is here solely for our benefit. You are expected to complete your degree programs as specified in your syllabi. Failure on your part to complete your requirements or failure to progress at a reasonable rate through your coursework will be dealt with accordingly, up to and including extended prison sentences or death, as appropriate. You have chosen a field of study, one that will benefit Hercules III and bot authority, and failure to follow the coursework or attempting to change your field of study will be addressed in a manner prescribed by bot authority including expulsion from this institution, exclusion from all other universities on Hercules III, and, in all cases, lengthy prison sentences, unbelievable torture, assignment to bot operated industries, or death, by bot choice, which includes a tortuous end to your young lives. These requirements of your young lives start from this moment forward.”

“Edward 01-787o and Moli 20-578p, after exiting you will be escorted to Campus Security where you will be briefed on your possible futures on Hercules III.”

“Thank you, have a good life.”

Moli and Eddy stood up and waited for the hall to empty before heading for the exit. They had no idea of what was going to happen and didn’t want to think of the possibilities. Moli had her own experience of what the bots were capable of from what happened to Gene and her brother Molus. There was a six place speeder hovering over the broad terrace in front of the hall. There were two security bots in the back seat, a security bot in one of the front seats, and a security bot standing by the ladder.

“Please enter the speeder,” the bot said.

They climbed the ladder, sat in the middle seats, fastened their belts, the bot on the ground rose up and sat in the forward seat. The speeder didn’t immediately rise into the air and black bags were draped over the heads of the humans.

“Hey!” Eddy exclaimed.

“No talking, no resistance, no movement,” a bot said. “You are being taken to Bot Security.”

The sensation of the speeder rising into the air and moving forward caused Moli and Eddy to instinctively grab their seats. There was nothing to do except wait for the bots to remove their hoods and let them see what was happening. Finally, after what seemed to be a flight of many klicks the speeder settled down onto its feet. Their belts were undone, but the hoods were not removed. They felt themselves being grabbed, held by the metallic grip of bot hands, and slowly rise up and move in what seemed to be a forward direction. After a while, they were set down and their hoods were removed.

“Please be seated,” a bot said. It stood in front of them and they sat down on metal chairs. “Edward 01-787o, your stepparents are in bot custody. They have confessed to their crimes and are being processed for final resolution. Your twin has been placed in a facility on Ring 5 where she will live until her death.

“A plot has been discovered to do both of you harm at Central City University. You are being moved to a different living situation at a commune on Ring 5. As both of you desire to enter the field of ornamental horticulture, an apprenticeship program has been established to facilitate that. Appropriate living quarters have been arranged for individuals of your age. Unfortunately, at this stage in your lives you will not be permitted to live in the same quarters, but we understand they are in close proximity. You will be briefed on the residences when you arrive at the commune. Your clothing and personal effects have been retrieved from your residences and will accompany you on your trip.

“Moli 20-578p, during your trip today to the commune a short stop has been arranged for a final visit with your parents. They have been briefed on the situation and have relinquished custody to bot control.

“Edward 01-787o, as you have a current mental and/or brain defect appropriate medical care will be provided via a traveling physician. As you require medication to facilitate a safe life, prescriptions have been transferred from the university to Bot Security on Ring 5; they will be delivered via a bot service vehicle to your residence. Your presence will not be required for receipt of your medication.

“As both of you have entered a committed heterosexual relationship you will be permitted to marry at age seventeen. An appropriate residence will be provided for your needs. Property has been secured at the commune for that purpose.

“There is little more that we can do at this time. As universities on Hercules III are in constant inter-campus communication, therefore, it has been determined the only remedy to this situation is your movement to the commune. If you choose to remain here or go to another university, your safety cannot be assured, even though we will make every attempt to keep you alive. Therefore, we recommend you accept our offer and go to the commune. May I have your decision?”

“Moli, what do you think?” Eddy asked.

“Well, I don’t really like the idea of never seeing my parents again, but if Bot Security can’t guarantee our safety, I see no logical reason not to take their offer. Does that sound reasonable?”

“I was thinking the same thing. Okay, we’ll take the deal.”

“Very good, a bot secure transport is ready as soon as you are. Do you require use of a toilet before departure?”

“Yes, I need to,” Moli said.

“I’d better, too,” Eddy said.

“Very well, we will wait. The facility is behind you.”

********

“Mother! Father! It’s so good to see you,” Moli said as she ran up to her parents.

“You go away to university and come back and no longer call us Momi and Dadi, how grown up you are,” her mother said. There were hugs all around and then Moli turned. Eddy was standing at the bottom of the ladder. “Eddy, come over here and meet my parents.”

“So, you’re Eddy, the boy who stole our daughter’s heart,” Moli’s father said. He held out his hand and the boy and man gave a firm, farmer’s handshake. “Is there something wrong with your face?”

“Uh, no sir, I have a bot induced mutation, I don’t have to shave,” Eddy said. “The bots said within a couple millennia most young males won’t have to shave. I guess it’s some sort of bot experiment.”

“Sounds weird to me,” the father said. “Mother, aren’t you going to give the boy a hug?”

“Come here, Eddy,” the mother said.

They hugged and to Eddy it felt warm and welcoming, unlike anything he experienced at home. He thought it was going to be a shame that he and Moli weren’t going to be able to come here during school breaks, these people were nice and they weren’t even trying.

“Young man, I understand that you and our daughter are going to a commune,” the father said.

“Yes, sir, that’s the plan laid out by the bots,” Eddy said.

“Moli, will you be able to come back to visit?” the mother asked.

“No, Mother, I don’t think the bots will permit it, for at least a long while,” Moli said. “I don’t think we’ll even be permitted to write. I think they’re hiding us away where they can have some assurance that we’ll be safe.”

“That sounds a little drastic, to me,” the father said. “Why can’t they protect you here at the farm? I’m sure they could provide a security detail to this place.”

“Father, I think they’re sending us there because we want to get into ornamental hort and I guess the commune is already raising flowering plants. They said they’ve arranged an apprenticeship program for us. If it turns out that way, I think we’ll end up staying there to raise flowers and roses and whatever else they have.”

“I don’t know, I just don’t like the two of you being so far away and not being able to come back for a visit,” her mother said as a tear trickled down a cheek.

“Now, Mother, you know how the bots think,” her father said. “They saw a problem and found a solution. They care very little how humans feel about things.”

“I just don’t want them to go,” Mother cried.

“Mother, please, you’re not making it easy on us,” Moli said. “And, worse yet, before we landed the bots told us to keep the visit short. I’m sorry, but I think we’ll have to leave.”

“Oh, no!” Mother exclaimed. She ran toward the residence and slammed the door behind her.

“Well, I guess this is the end, then,” Father said. “Eddy, I want you to keep our daughter safe and as soon as you can arrange it, please send a message via the module. Moli has our address. I know we can’t send any messages to her because the bots said someone at one of the universities might have the capability to track messages to and from this farm or track messages sent by either of you to here. Moli, I’m sorry about Mother, but she’s always been a very emotional person. Moli, give your father a hug and young man I’ll expect a parting handshake from you. I can certainly tell you were raised on a farm.”

After the hug and handshake, Moli and Eddy climbed back into the speeder. They fastened their belts and the vehicle rose into the air. Moli was weeping and Eddy didn’t feel very well himself. Before they entered the nearest exit spoke, both were nodding off into peaceful slumber.

“Excuse me, humans, but we are arriving at the commune,” a bot said, nudging both of their shoulders.

“Oh, yeah, thanks,” Eddy said. “Moli, wake up!”

“I’m awake, I’ve been awake since we exited the spoke,” Moli said. “There certainly are a lot of farms down there. Do you see one that might be an ornamental farm?”

“No, I don’t, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t any,” Eddy said. “Hey, look there are four men down there in the parking lot. I wonder what they’re here for.”

The speeder landed, the cover retracted, and the ladder was lowered. Moli and Eddy climbed down and saw a bot bring down their bags of clothes and shoes. The men they saw stood back as if waiting for the bot vehicle to leave and once it rose into the air. They came forward.

“Hi, I’m Abe,” a young man said. “This is my husband, Roger. Those two are Peter and Ben, they’re husbands, too. Welcome to Eden Commune. We’re going to be providing rooms for the two of you, but you’ll have to choose who you want to live with.”

“I’m Eddy, this is Moli. I guess we’re happy to be here, but we had little choice in the matter. It was a bot choice where we were going and the other option didn’t sound too appealing. So, you’re husbands, what does that mean, exactly?”

“It means they’re homosexuals, Eddy,” Moli said. “Don’t you see the eagles on the side of their foreheads? Men can marry each other, like you and I are going to get married.”

“Actually, we would prefer it if you called us gay,” Abe said.

“Gay?”

“Gay.”

“Oh, okay,” Moli said, still uncertain what that actually meant.

“You’ve encountered a gay man before?” Abe asked.

“No, not exactly, a friend of mine’s judge was, uh, gay, Gene said he had an eagle on his forehead,” Moli said.

“Oh, okay,” Abe said. “Do either of you think you might have a problem living with two gay men?”

“I don’t, if you don’t mind having a girl in your home,” Moli said. “Eddy? Eddy? Eddy!”

“Huh, oh, sorry, I was thinking,” Eddy said.

“Eddy, these men are not your father,” Moli said. “His father abused him since he was five.”

“Oh, no, we’re definitely not like that,” one of the older men said. “We definitely do not abuse children. That’s a psychiatric disorder that the bots can’t seem to eradicate from the birthing process. It’s kind of like a lot of disorders and diseases they can’t get rid of. Is your father still at home?”

“No, when I tried to commit suicide, I talked with the psychiatrist and she reported to the bots. The bots arrested both of them and I guess they’ve confessed. I think the bots are going to kill them. I just want you guys to know that I’m very nervous about living with either of you, but I think I’d prefer living with the younger pair as they don’t remind me of my father. Moli, is that okay with you?”

“Sure, Eddy, whatever you want,” Moli said.

“Do either of you need farm clothes and footwear?” Abe asked.

“Yes, all we have is university clothes,” Eddy said.

“Well, I guess we’d better go over to the clothing store and get you some duds,” one of the older men said.

“We don’t have any credits,” Eddy said.

“That’s all right, accounts have been set up for both of you and as you earn credits for working on our farms, you’ll be able to pay off your debits.”

“I thought we were going to be working on some kind of apprenticeship program,” Moli said.

“Oh, you will be doing that, but ornamental plants grow slowly and Ben and his business partner have a beefalo ranch, my partner and I have a fruit and nut orchard, and the ornamentals are grown by Lee and her future wife Willy. We’re all close by, though the ornamental farm is nearly four klicks from the residences. You’ll be able to figure all that out in time, we’re having a welcoming barbecue this evening and you’ll be able to meet everyone out at our farms.”

“You said, Lee and Willy are going to marry, but that would mean they’re a man and woman, why can’t we live with them?”

“Well, the simple answer is they haven’t reached majority and can’t marry; and, they’re actually two young women. Each is living in a home with two wives. Sorry, but neither of them have room for another roomer.”

“I’m confused,” Eddy said.

“Oh, you’ll figure it out, it took me a while to find out how things worked when I came here and started living with Peter and Ben,” Abe said. “Come on, I’ll show you to the clothing store.”

Moli and Eddy followed Abe and the other young man who was supposed to be Roger across the parking area to a building with one door and no windows. A young woman came out of the building next to it and went in ahead of them. She took their sizes and soon brought out their coveralls and footwear, which included two kinds of boots and heavy duty socks. She put the coveralls in paper bags and handed them their boots. Abe somehow wrestled three bags of coveralls into his arms and Roger took one. It was immediately apparent to Moli and Eddy that Roger had some sort of disability as he couldn’t seem to use his left hand or arm. The woman thanked them for coming to the commune and said she and her husband were coming out to the barbecue, which made Moli and Eddy feel good that at least there was one couple here at the commune who were heterosexual, too.

When the cruiser settled down onto a wide parking area, Moli and Eddy saw four residences, but there wasn’t anyone else around. They split up and started moving their stuff into the two residences. Moli was at a loss as what she was going to do with so many university clothes; she certainly didn’t have room for all that she had.

“How’re you doing with unpacking and putting your stuff away?” A man asked when he walked into the room.

“What should I do with all this extra stuff?” She asked. “Excuse me, what is your name?”

“I’m Ben and I think we’ll gather both yours and Eddy’s extras and send them into the city to be distributed to the needy.”

“The ship has poor people?”

“Of course, we’re a human society. No matter what the bots do to make us perfect humans, they haven’t figure out how to make everybody have an equivalent income. Some are rich, some are in the middle, and some are poor, that’s just the way it works out. From what Peter has told me, it’s been that way since the dawn of civilization. Oh, by the way, he’s the educated one around here and he’s probably going to tell you to read some old fictional works. He calls them literature. I call them boring and you probably will, too.”

“I was going to a university,” Moli said, followed by a frown. “I’ve already read boring stuff to pass the entrance exam. Oh, I want to thank you and Peter for allowing me to move in with you. I know this probably is going to be a trying situation, but I’ll do my best to fit in.”

“Don’t worry about it,” Ben said. He sighed and gave her have a smile. “There is one thing that might trouble you in the beginning. Peter is rather affectionate and we kiss a lot; sometimes he touches me in a manner you might find embarrassing. If you’re uncomfortable with that, I want you to say something, don’t just leave the room. He needs to know that you’re not yet used to living with two gay men who’ve been together for quite a number of years.”

“Okay, I’ll try to remember that,” Moli said and smiled.

Meanwhile, next door the same scene was playing out, but there were three boys were in the room set aside for Eddy’s use. He asked almost the same question as Moli, “Do you guys know what I should do with these clothes and shoes I’m not going to need?”

“Roger, do you know, I certainly don’t,” Abe said. “They’re certainly too good to burn.”

“Maybe, Ben will know. I’m sure Moli is asking the same question. Eddy go ahead and set them aside with your luggage. Abe, why don’t you go over and ask Ben if he’s come up with a solution?”

“Roger, can I ask you a couple of questions?” Eddy asked after Abe left. “I know none of this is any of my business, but I’m curious about a couple of things. Is there something wrong with you? You walk with a limp, you seem not to be able to use your left hand and arm very well, and your left eyelid droops. Did you have a stroke or something?”

“I was beaten up by some machos and suffered brain damage. The bots said I would probably regain the use of that side of my body, but it hasn’t come back a hundred percent. And, your other question I assume has to do with what Abe and I do in bed.”

“Yeah.”

“Well, we love each other very much and we satisfy each other as we prefer. Why do you ask?”

“Well, you know my father abused me and he did sexual things to me and made me do things to him. It wasn’t uncommon for him to repeatedly rape me when he became angry. I’d prefer it if neither of you yelled or said things loudly like my father made me do.”

“What did he want you to say?”

“Well, you know, I really don’t want to say, but I guess I have to find out so that I won’t have those memories brought back, though some are very recent. Anyway, when he did me I had to say, ‘Oh, Dadi, I love when you do it that way,’ and when I had to do him with my mouth I had to say, ‘Thank you Dadi, did you like that, Dadi?”

“Oh, no, we don’t say anything close to that and we won’t say anything out loud from now on. That’s why you’re in this room. If we put you in the other room, you’d probably hear us not only talking, but you might even hear us doing things. Okay?”

“Okay, thank you. I don’t want to be a bother, but you don’t know what it was like for me. I think that was why I tried to commit suicide.”

“First of all you’re not a bother and second, we’ll do everything we can so that you do not have feelings like that, again. Now, put those wellies on and I’ll take you out to the barn to see some of the beefalos Abe brought in to show you and Moli.”

********

There was a large crowd at the barbecue that evening including: Moli and Eddy, Freddy and Marcy, Theo and her husband Beau, April and Megan, Dorcas and Charity, Li and Willy, Abe and Roger, Peter and Ben; and, six men who they were told seldom attended these gatherings, Matthew and Mark, Luke and John, and Paul and Barnabas. All were enjoying various kinds of alcoholic beverages except for Eddy who was drinking flavored sparkling water because he couldn’t drink any alcohol with his medicine and Moli, who wasn’t imbibing so Eddy wouldn’t feel out of place. Everyone tried to talk to the new couple who, needless to say, were totally confused by the time they were split up and Eddy found himself with April and Megan.

“Well, young man, you’re definitely cute; I can see why Abe and Roger chose you to live with them,” April said.

“I’m not like that!” Eddy yelled and ran into the residence.

All conversation stopped and Moli yelled, “Eddy!”

She ran into the house, quickly followed by Abe, Peter, and Ben. They found Eddy in the kitchen just when he was slicing a wrist while the other dripped blood on the floor. Abe hurried toward him and wrenched the knife out of his hand. Ben left the kitchen, but soon came back with two pressure bandages and tape which he and Peter used to bind Eddy’s wounds. The boy fainted and slumped down onto the floor.

“Abe, go tell Freddy we’re taking Eddy to the clinic in town,” Ben said. “Peter can you help? Moli are you staying here?”

“Definitely, not,” Moli said.

They hustled Eddy out to the four place speeder and put him in the back with Ben. Moli sat up front with Peter who piloted the vehicle. They rose quickly into the air and headed toward the nearest small town where there was a clinic that could help Eddy.

Back at the party, April was standing beside Megan, who said, “You know, April, if anyone could say such a thing to a boy like that, you’re the one. I’m going home.”

“What did I say?” April asked.

“April, that boy is engaged to Moli. He’s straight! Or, did you not notice that? Implying a boy is gay, just because you think he’s cute goes way beyond what most people consider nice, but you, April, never see it that way. You always seem to find a way to say the wrong thing. I don’t know why I put up with it. Enjoy the party, and try not to embarrass somebody else, I’m going back to the residence. Goodnight!”

Soon the speeder was cycling down into the parking area of the clinic’s emergency room. Ben and Peter hustled Eddy out of the speeder while Moli ran into the clinic. At the counter, she said to the nurse, “Two men are bringing in my fiancé who’s tried to kill himself by slicing his wrists.”

“Are you family?” The nurse asked.

“No, his stepparents are in bot custody for abusing him, he’s now living near here.”

“We cannot allow you to bring him in here unless you are related. Being a fiancé is not a relative.”

Moli turned around and went to the door where Ben and Peter were just coming in with Eddy. Moli said, “They won’t admit Eddy because no one is related to him. We’ll have to take him somewhere else. We need to get in touch with Bot Security, too. They need to know about this, they’ll know what to do.”

“Did you say Bot Security?” The nurse asked. “Does Bot Security have anything to do with either of you? We have an officer in this building. Do you want me to call it?”

“That would help!” Moli exclaimed.

In a moment, a rural security bot trundled around a corner and approached the counter. It asked, “Nurse, you called?”

“It’s them over there; supposedly they have something to do with Bot Security. That boy tried to kill himself and we can’t admit him because they are not his relatives.”

“Yes, I will talk to them. Go back to your duties.”

It trundled over to the group and asked, “What is the relationship with Bot Security?”

“I am Moli 20-578p and my fiancé is Edward 01-787o, we are under Bot Security protection,” she said.

The bot paused for a moment and then said, “Yes, we are aware of you. Has he tried to commit suicide, again?”

“Yes, he sliced his wrists,” Moli said.

“Put him back in your speeder, set your destination to the Central City med center, your speed setting to twelve, and rise to the emergency lane. Bot Security will dispatch a security team to escort you. The lane is being cleared.”

The speeder quickly rose up to close to the top of the ring and turned down ringward. After a short while three Bot Security speeders rose up with one in front and two on either side. The trip didn’t take more than a half hour and the speeders settled onto the roof of the med center. A bot med-tech team was there with a stretcher, picked up Eddy out of the speeder, and hurried into the building, leaving the three humans to figure out where to go.

A security bot walked up and said, “We will escort you to the psychiatric emergency room where a human physician will tend to the human’s wound. Do not worry for your safety, this is a secure building.”

“That’s what you said when we brought Abe and Roger here,” Peter said.

“Yes, Abner 34-783k and Roger 22-416a, that event is recorded in our databases. Rest assured we have cleared this facility of all threats. We are aware of the conspiracy affecting Edward 01-787o and Moli 20-578p and have removed all staff members associated with the medical schools on this ring. Edward 01-787o will be on constant bot security guard while at this facility. Excuse me, Edward 01-787o has been taken to surgery. That operation will be performed by bots as we have learned some human physicians cannot be trusted with medical weaponry. I will take you to the psychiatrist who has been assigned to the case.”

They followed the bot into the building aware that two bots were following behind. It was a confusing trip with many halls, many corners to go around, an elevator ride down, more halls and corners and, finally, an elevator ride up. If either of them had been asked none would have been able to retrace their steps. At last they were shown into an office where a doctor in a white coat stood up and offered them chairs.

“I am Doctor Thaddeus 85, I will be Edward’s psychiatrist,” he said. “I’ve looked at his history from Ring 1 and it looks like he tried to do it, again. Can either of you explain what might have set him off?”

“Eddy is my fiancé and he was severely sexually abused by his father and was threatened with the same by a professor at the university,” Moli said. “Today, we were at a party and someone implied he was gay because he was going to be living with two young gay men. I think he could not handle the added pressure of having to live around a person who thought he would be doing something with two men who had no intention of doing that.”

“I see,” Doctor Thaddeus said. “Well, in that case, I think it’s best we keep him here for at least a month. Moli, I know how you and Eddy feel toward each other and will encourage Eddy to come to terms with his past, but I think that will take a long time. The bots have set up Eddy to be visited by a local psychiatrist, but I think we should amend that to have Eddy come here for a week every month after he’s discharged. Since he is under bot protection, I’m sure they will be willing to escort him. I know this isn’t going to go over very well with Eddy, but a second attempt is serious and needs to be addressed aggressively. Once he’s up in the ward, you’ll be able to see him. You’re welcome to visit the cafeteria while you wait. I’ll set a page for your bot escort. Does all of this sound reasonable?”

“Thank you Doctor Thaddeus, I think whatever is best for Eddy should be okay with me,” Moli said. “We love each other very much and I’m sure a little distance between us for a month shouldn’t be that difficult. Come on guys, I’m hungry.”

“Whatever you say Moli, but you know, there should be steaks for us when we get back,” Ben said.

“I’m hungry now. You don’t have to eat anything, but I’m going to.” She stood up. “Thank you, again, Doctor.”

********

Four Bot Security speeders settled down onto the parking area at the orchard and ranch. Eddy climbed out of the middle one and seemed to say thank you to the driver, came around the vehicle, and climbed the steps to the porch in front of his new residence that he had yet to sleep in. There was no one about. He looked around and then went in and sat in a side chair. He was at a loss not knowing what he should do, and then he heard a sound coming from the master bedroom. It was a familiar sound, but, now, he knew better than to do something stupid, again.

“I’m home!” he yelled. “I know what you’re doing, so, please, shut the door.”

There that should do it. He didn’t want to be a bother, but didn’t want to hear that sound, either. He sighed, got up, went back outside, and sat on the top step looking across the parking area at the residences on that side. He was bored and needed something to keep him busy so those memories could be kept at bay.

A woman came out of one of the residences, came down her steps, and walked across the parking area. Eddy knew he should be able to remember who she was, but the memory of the party was just a blur, smashed by a foolish act of desperation. The thing was, she definitely wasn’t that woman who said he was gay for living with Abe and Roger. How was it he could remember their names, but not this woman?

She came to the foot of the steps and said, “Hi, Eddy, I heard the speeder come in and saw it was you. I don’t know if you remember me, I’m Megan. Mind if I sit down next to you?”

“No, it’s okay. That other woman was April, wasn’t she?”

“She doesn’t live here anymore, we had a fight, and she moved to Second City.”

“So you live alone?”

“No, Willy lives with me.”

“Oh, that’s nice. Sorry about April moving out.”

“She wasn’t made to live around farmers. Were you raised on a farm?”

“Yes, fruit and nuts and barley. Do you mind if we don’t talk about where I grew up?”

“No, if it bothers you, I won’t bring up the subject again. Where are Abe and Roger, I saw them come back from the barn?”

“They’re inside.”

“Why aren’t you in ... oh, sorry, I’m not supposed to say that, either. It still bothers you a lot, doesn’t it?

“Yes, the psychiatrists are going to try and help me deal with it, but right now it’s a horrible memory that won’t go away; and I think whenever someone might say something like April did, I might do something stupid, again. From what the psychiatrist said, since I’ve tried twice, there’s a strong chance I might try again, if something sets me off. That’s why I came out here. When I went in, they were in the bedroom doing something I remembered. I told them I was home and to shut the door, but I came out here, too. I just can’t deal with that anymore.”

Eddy started to weep and Megan put her arm across the boy’s shoulders. Surprisingly, Eddy welcome the comfort offered, but he continued to weep. There wasn’t a memory to bring up that might make him happy. Then Moli came to mind. It had been a month and he truly missed her. He wanted to see her, but didn’t know where she was.

“Hush, son, it’ll be alright. Life’s difficult enough for boys your age, but I understand you’ve had a very bad life and I want to do everything I can to make you happy, again.”

“Moli, I want to see Moli. Do you know where she is?”

“As a matter of fact, I do. Come on, I’ll take you to where she’s working. They’re picking Bartletts right now, so she’s busy helping out. Do you need to clean your face?”

“I should, but I can’t go back in there. I can’t.”

“That’s alright, come on over to my place and I’ll get you a washcloth. Okay?”

“Sure, that sounds nice.”

The walk up through the orchard was over a klick, but Eddy could hear Moli when they were within a row from where everyone was picking the pears. He wanted to run to see her, but held off and continued to walk with Megan. They came up to the row and Megan said. “Hey, everybody! Guess who came home?”

“Eddy!” Moli exclaimed and came running down the row. She hugged her love and then they kissed, not with passion because there were others around, but she knew they had to ask Ben and Peter to have a little time to be close.

“Hi, Moli, I’m home,” Eddy said. “They brought me back a day early.”

“Hey, you two, none of that kissing, we have pears to pick,” Peter said. “Hey, Eddy how’re you doing?”

“Okay, I guess.”

“Have you seen Abe and Roger?” Ben asked.

“Ben, not a good question,” Megan said. “We’re all going to have to be very careful what we say around this young man.”

Eddy stood there embarrassed that Megan was making such a big deal about his problem, but did appreciate her saying that they had to be careful what they said. This was going to take some time, but he wished the psychiatrists could do something quickly to make him better.

“Ben, Peter, can Eddy and I go back to your residence to have a little quiet time?” Moli asked.

“You know, I think that’s a good idea,” Ben said. “Go on, Megan’s here, she’ll pick up where you left off.”

“Thanks, Ben,” Megan said, not specifying whether she was talking about picking pears or letting the two lovers have a chance to go back and get some up close time together.

“Thank you, Ben,” Moli said. “We’ll be back once Eddy puts on some coveralls and boots.”

“Take your time, Moli,” Peter said.

Back in her bedroom, Moli started undressing. Eddy looked at her, but she just glared back at him. He got the message and began undressing, too. They laid down on her bed and let passion overcome them. Nothing was going to stop them and they stopped thinking about what was going to happen.

Copyright © 2016 CarlHoliday; All Rights Reserved.
  • Like 2
Stories posted in this category are works of fiction. Names, places, characters, events, and incidents are created by the authors' imaginations or are used fictitiously. Any resemblances to actual persons (living or dead), organizations, companies, events, or locales are entirely coincidental.
Note: While authors are asked to place warnings on their stories for some moderated content, everyone has different thresholds, and it is your responsibility as a reader to avoid stories or stop reading if something bothers you. 
You are not currently following this story. Be sure to follow to keep up to date with new chapters.

Recommended Comments

Chapter Comments

There are no comments to display.

View Guidelines

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Newsletter

    Sign Up and get an occasional Newsletter.  Fill out your profile with favorite genres and say yes to genre news to get the monthly update for your favorite genres.

    Sign Up
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Our Privacy Policy can be found here: Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue..